• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gadwin

Nov 1, 2017
Hermen is awesome, this gives me a great feeling for the future of WWS.

Shuhei's new role doesn't really sound like an ordinary demotion. It's a new initiative, I would guess he played a big part in this "demotion" and can shape it to his liking for what is likely his last console generation before retirement. I surely hope for some more big Sony funded indies again.

Great news all around imho.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
European takeover continues at Sony.

bmwcMg3.gif

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes let's forget about all his other contributions over the last 11 years in the role and 25 in playstation.

Nowhere did I say that the rest of his work meant 0, I happen to like the guy a lot, but calling Demon's Souls "unbelievably bad" is a pretty big fuck up no matter how many years you got under yer belt. He redeemed himself somewhat with Bloodborne

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere did I say that the rest of his work meant 0, I happen to like the guy a lot, but calling Demon's Souls "unbelievably bad" is a pretty big fuck up no matter how many years you got under yer belt. He redeemed himself somewhat with Bloodborne
Demon's Soul had a terrible dev cycle, hell Miyazaki has said it was completely aimless when he eventually took over and he had free reign to do with it what he wanted, because it was going nowhere and the higher ups no longer cared either way.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How exactly are people reading the new Shu position as a promotion? Going from overseeing a global network of the most prestigious AAA studios in the business to looking after / nurturing external indie devs?

Not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely asking.

Because now he reports directly to Jim, so it must be a promotion...?

It looks like a demotion to me. Hes getting kutaragi'd

On another note, I dont really know what's going on at the minute. Regular users on here are getting banned left and right.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Hermen, he seems like a pretty cool dude with lots of experience leading business and creative teams. Should do well in the role.

As others have stated, really feels like a European Takeover at Playstation.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Let me be as clear as possible, since I don't want to start yet another argument. I just don't like Sony Europe as a division and I don't see much to be excited about in a timeline where it looks like Sony Europe has seized complete operational control over PlayStation as a business. Is it possible they'll surprise me positively? Yes. Anything can happen.

But as of right now, I just see the part of Sony I like the least taking over the future direction of my primary gaming platform and that's frustrating to me. You want to be happy about it, be happy! Just don't be surprised if some people don't share your excitement.

You seem to conflate European first party studios, which are not that many and have not been as great as their american counterpart, with Sony Computer Europe executive and marketing branches. The latter is by large the most efficient one, judging by how consistent they have been at making the Playstation the go-to platform in the many markets that they have nurtured. Their distribution network is top notch, their efforts in terms of localization have been great...The dominance of PlayStation over 25 years, only challenged episodically in some parts of the continent by Nintendo, speaks for itself.

Your take is nonsensical, to say the least. What do you think is going to happen? The bad Dutch wolf will end up closing Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Bend, Sucker punch and Insomniac? If anything, him at the helm might prove a great thing in that a bit more attention -especially that Jim is heading operations right now- could be paid to the PS European development scene. They should add at least another studio in Europe, ideally two, and see to it that London studio and Media Molecule are given more resources to expand a bit and act as incubators more than one project at a time.

Why am I even typing this? You will probably throw in another bleak, cynical and devoid of logic comment in a couple of hours, anyway.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Because now he reports directly to Jim, so it must be a promotion...?

It looks like a demotion to me. Hes getting kutaragi'd

On another note, I dont really know what's going on at the minute. Regular users on here are getting banned left and right.

Do you have anything to back that claim or yours, or are you just running your fingers? The guy has always been a fan of interesting and fresh concepts, and this position will make him oversee a very important market, particularly that the output of those indie developers will nurture the PlayStation streaming tool.

Jan 20, 2019

Demon souls has a terrible game that got saved by Miyazaki. The demon souls today hasnt the same before Miyazaki

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do you have anything to back that claim or yours, or are you just running your fingers? The guy has always been a fan of interesting and fresh concepts, and this position will make him oversee a very important market, particularly that the output of those indie developers will nurture the PlayStation streaming tool.
So he was the head of Sony worldwide studios but now hes a head of the brand new indie initiative....but this isnt a demotion?....

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
So he was the head of Sony worldwide studios but now hes a head of the brand new indie initiative....but this isnt a demotion?....
You usually need highly successful and experienced people to head up a new division that the company sees as important going forward. Like this is literally a perfect match.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
He's not alone in saying Demon Souls is bad. Almost everyone at neogaf have that impression when gameplay impression from e3 (I think) comes out. And Shu is probably talking about even earlier version than that.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Congrats to Hermen, he seems like a pretty cool dude with lots of experience leading business and creative teams. Should do well in the role.

As others have stated, really feels like a European Takeover at Playstation.

Sony has thousands of employees. SIE headquarters are in the US, most of the first party studios are in the US, a US studio was added this year, dozens of people in Europe got fired recently because Sony wanted to keep only the american guys doing the same job....

Yet 2 managers from Europe got promoted and Europe is taking over... :-D

Jim got the job because he proved for a very long time being one of the best, EMEA is the n1 market for PS.

and Hermen got this job because he probably proved himself too those last years.

SIE is still very US focused.

In terms of management/sales those last >10 years Europe > the rest. So it is obvious seeing europeans at the top.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

Yes? It could be? Just because people here LOOOOVE engaging in first party/exclusives speculation does not mean that moving away from that position and taking on a new one is a demotion. Sony first party studios have blossomed under Shu, so it is not like that the guy did a terrible job, far from it. He has a few misses on his resumes, but the hits outnumber them handily. So he was probably not displaced on account of his ineptitude, and I do not believe that he gets the shaft by leading the new initiative: His experience, his inclinations and the fact that he is loved by independent developers are great assets. Only way to know for certain is to keep an eye over Sony Computer future partnerships in this field. You will get your answer in a couple of years...

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very happy with the outlook for PlayStation with this news. Guerrilla has flourished under Hermen Hulst and over the past few years has made it a place that attracts a lot of talent and has become known as a great place to work. Seems like a great fit for the role.

Shu's position change is unexpected but he seems excited about it and it makes sense. I've noticed that many of the games he gets excited for the last few years are indie and VR projects. Having someone with Shu's level of insight and experience available to them will be a fantastic resource. One of my only disappointments with Sony this gen is how much they've moved away from the indie scene of the first few years of the PS4 so hopefully this initiative gets the ball rolling on that again.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

He was talking about retiring but PSVR came about and he decided to stick around for a few more years and he's been all about indie games on his twitter account. This sounds like a guy who wants to keep working but doing what he likes and has the clout to get that to happen. I doubt Shu even works for Sony by the time a PS6 is even being talked about in the public.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont get this Euro takeover thing.

NA and Euro pretty much have the same tastes in games. Go 100% Europe. The fuck do I care?

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
TBH if the project wasn't considered a failure they wouldn't have put Miyazaki at the helm and Miyazaki wouldn't have tried anything crazy. The only reason Demon's Souls exists as it is is because everyone expected it to fail.
he said those things after playing a near final build, not before miyazaki

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic choice. The guy led Guerrilla ever since it was founded and knows game development and studio management.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Soul had a terrible dev cycle, hell Miyazaki has said it was completely aimless when he eventually took over and he had free reign to do with it what he wanted, because it was going nowhere and the higher ups no longer cared either way.
Shu was refering to Miyazaki's version, reports say it was a near final version

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Crazy that Neil might be answering to Hulst now. Good thing Herman seems to foster a great work culture.

I wonder how game development will be helped now that one of the big leaders is someone steeped in it for a long time.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
As an indie I welcome the idea of yoshida working with smaller teams to create new experiences.

But as someone who thought the PS4 was Sony firing on all cylinders to give me the best gaming experiences they've ever made, damn I'll miss the projects he oversaw.

Best of luck to the new fellow. Ps5 is really gonna be a completely different team really, and while that's a bit scary I genuinely hope it works out.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I dont get this Euro takeover thing.

NA and Euro pretty much have the same tastes in games. Go 100% Europe. The fuck do I care?
Honestly, 50% of it just seems like concern trolling, while the other 50% is PlanetSmasher being PlanetSmasher and declaring that Sony's doomed.

In reality, I seriously doubt a whole lot will change. Sony's big studios will be almost completely unaffected because WWS are very hands off and the studios basically just run themselves. Maybe he'll invest in more European projects but that'd be the smart move regardless of who took over the position because that side of WWS has shrunk enormously over the last ten years.

Oct 25, 2017
This is cool congrats to Shu on his new endeavors. So long as Jimbo and Hermen don't forget PlayStaion runs through America I'll be fine. SCEE's contributions pale in comparison and the industry is firmly focused in America. Druckmann would've been a better pick tbh.

I doubt it. Herman was already in an executive role and lead a studio to new heights as the lead. Druckmann isn't even in charge of ND.

Decima about to become an open first party engine? If Death Stranding port to PC is good, who knows...

Supermassive used it for Until Dawn before it was called Decima. It became more known after Kojima chose it. So another first party studio using it has likely has never been off the table.

Last edited:

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. Herman was already in an executive role and lead a studio to new heights as the lead. Druckmann isn't even in charge of ND.
Yup. It seems like it's great for both him and Shu. This also likely helped get Shu to stay on for another gen which is a great move, since he gets to oversee and hunt for fresh talent to work with and he's been showing a lot of interest in that area on his own, and Hermen's seemingly done a great job with his SIE management role in addition to his role in building up Guerrilla.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Hermen is awesome, this gives me a great feeling for the future of WWS.

Shuhei's new role doesn't really sound like an ordinary demotion. It's a new initiative, I would guess he played a big part in this "demotion" and can shape it to his liking for what is likely his last console generation before retirement. I surely hope for some more big Sony funded indies again.

Great news all around imho.

Considering Shuhei's tweet he's happy. So i'm sure he wanted this to happen.
Seems like everyone is happy where they are right now!

European takeover continues at Sony.

bmwcMg3.gif

Ironically a few weeks after Sony cut on their european division

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Jim's appointment didn't convince me but so far so good.

Hermen Hulst is a great spot though. His entrepreneurship and subtle charms are better suited for the role. Sony's WWS is still in good hands.

Don't really get the European take-over thing. The majority of high-profile studio's are still US based but the centralised location means Europe has a better chance of coordinating large-scale worldwide marketing initiates which is exactly what they wanted. It just so happens that Hermen is a great fit and he's based in Europe.

Feb 23, 2019
Love this decision

And given Hulst's appreciation of Kojima and their work together on Death Stranding, I really hope Sony produces KojiPro's next title, if not outright buys the studio.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
What if Sony's initiative is to propel independent teams, and eventually make that as important and visible as their WWS one? Just because there's more money going into their WWS budgets doesn't mean that this is a demotion. We've yet to see how it operates.

Shu may also have some level of responsibility or a consulting role when it comes to the progress of existing and future AAA first-party productions from indie teams like Wild Sheep, Housemarque and Arrowhead.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Yoshida is out too? And people will pretend this is all normal? lol

It's a good choice though.
Shu seems fine on twitter. Like others I won't be surprised if he is taking a smaller role before retiring.

He's 55. Kaz retired around that age. Fils Aime at 58.

The old guards that we know are starting to step down. Only a few like Shigeru Miyamoto are exceptions.