• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
He seemed like a wonderful and talented guy from the interviews I saw surrounding Horizon's development. I think he's a great choice for the role based on that.

Congrats!

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Any Hermen memes yet?
FinishedSlimyIchthyostega-size_restricted.gif

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand all the doom and gloom in this thread. This wasn't a hastily made decision. It's in good hands. Congrats to him and the new co-directors at Guerrilla and I'm very much looking forward to enjoying the continued output from SWWS in the years to come.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
And many seem to do not know that Hulst already was vice president of wws.
The man already knows and worked for years in a global position with other 1st party studios.

With him on top of wws I have to admit I am excited for the presentation of PS5, because he will be there and I think he has a very good presence from previous Meetings and E3.
Hopefully Europe and Asia get a bump in quality during PS5's generation. America's WWS have been dominating for two gens running and will continue to do so, but I'd love to see some improvement from Sony on the other two regions.

Druckmann could well get there.. but chain of command would mean he goes at the top of ND first I'd imagine before jumping into such a big role, presuming
1. He wants it
2. He's good at that particular task

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Hopefully Europe and Asia get a bump in quality during PS5's generation. America's WWS have been dominating for two gens running and will continue to do so, but I'd love to see some improvement from Sony on the other two regions.

Druckmann could well get there.. but chain of command would mean he goes at the top of ND first I'd imagine before jumping into such a big role, presuming
1. He wants it

Eh...japan studios (in japan DUH) literally created the best VR exclusive in years with Astro Bot while Guerilla (in europe) created a critically and commercially acclaimed IP for sony via Horizon...

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a fantastic hire for the job, really good choice here. Good things ahead for Sony I think.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018

1. He wants it
To be fair, Shuhei Yoshida was executive producer of Yoshida's group (SCEI internal development) between 1996 and 2000. Before that he worked with third party software to help and support companies like Namco to develop for PS1.

Even if his best time was executive producer of SCEJ's 1st party software between 1996 and 2000 which gave us Gran Turismo, Ape Escape, The Legend of Dragoon and ICO (delayed to PS2) he lost touch with ambitious Japanese games and never really showed interest to do it since he was president of WWS. He cancelled Toyama's horror project for PS3 between 2008 and 2010 did Masahiro Ito confirmed in 2018. Who else at SIE is working on horror in 2008? Russian retro sci-fi horror sounded so exciting compared to that indie-level Gravity Rush game.

Shu was transferred to SCEA in 2000 and become bias towards US development. The only one who cared about SCEE development was Phil Harrison. When Shu become president of WWS in May 2008 he started to scale down on UK development and Japan. Goodbye to Team Soho at London Studio and not expand on studios in other countries in Europe.

And Japan was all about PlayStation CAMP to make indie-level games for Japan Studio. Tokyo Jungle, Rain for example. Don't let me start on all Move games he greenlighted such as Ape Escape Move! and Kung-fu Rider he pushed on Team Ape Escape. Then came Knack. What about indie studio, Q-Games? Oh yeah, The Tomorrow Children tried to replicate Nintendo's Animal Crossing with Russian dolls.

New Everybody's Golf that was in development for nearly 9 years until it was released and look like those open world indie games with low effort and not so much compelling like previous entries. Graphics hadn't changed since Everybody's Golf 5.

Instead of go to MediaVision, Matrix Software, Millennium Kitchen he rather do that instead. They are in the same Kanto region when Q-Games is in Kansai (Kyoto). That doesn't make sense. It blows my mind how stagnant Shu was and wanted to work with indie developers instead.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a fantastic hire for the job, really good choice here. Good things ahead for Sony I think.
Yes. Definitely. I feel having a dev, and former business owner in this job is vital. He isn't just a good manager, but is great at everything that matters in this job. GG grew exponentially, making Horizon was a great gamble out of their comfort zone, but was hugely successful. Hell, developing Decima, even with its links to the OG Killzone engine, all were great pay offs. I remember when there were rumors last gen GG used 20-50 million dollars developing the Killzone 2 engine. It all worked out in the end. :)

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Yes. Definitely. I feel having a dev, and former business owner in this job is vital. He isn't just a good manager, but is great at everything that matters in this job. GG grew exponentially, making Horizon was a great gamble out of their comfort zone, but was hugely successful. Hell, developing Decima, even with its links to the OG Killzone engine, all were great pay offs. I remember when there were rumors last gen GG used 20-50 million dollars developing the Killzone 2 engine. It all worked out in the end. :)

God damn, didn't hear that. Sony now has what, 3 different engine properties they work with?

Feb 26, 2018
To be fair, Shuhei Yoshida was executive producer of Yoshida's group (SCEI internal development) between 1996 and 2000. Before that he worked with third party software to help and support companies like Namco to develop for PS1.

Even if his best time was executive producer of SCEJ's 1st party software between 1996 and 2000 which gave us Gran Turismo, Ape Escape, The Legend of Dragoon and ICO (delayed to PS2) he lost touch with ambitious Japanese games and never really showed interest to do it since he was president of WWS. He cancelled Toyama's horror project for PS3 between 2008 and 2010 did Masahiro Ito confirmed in 2018. Who else at SIE is working on horror in 2008? Russian retro sci-fi horror sounded so exciting compared to that indie-level Gravity Rush game.

Shu was transferred to SCEA in 2000 and become bias towards US development. The only one who cared about SCEE development was Phil Harrison. When Shu become president of WWS in May 2008 he started to scale down on UK development and Japan. Goodbye to Team Soho at London Studio and not expand on studios in other countries in Europe.

And Japan was all about PlayStation CAMP to make indie-level games for Japan Studio. Tokyo Jungle, Rain for example. Don't let me start on all Move games he greenlighted such as Ape Escape Move! and Kung-fu Rider he pushed on Team Ape Escape. Then came Knack. What about indie studio, Q-Games? Oh yeah, The Tomorrow Children tried to replicate Nintendo's Animal Crossing with Russian dolls.

New Everybody's Golf that was in development for nearly 9 years until it was released and look like those open world indie games with low effort and not so much compelling like previous entries. Graphics hadn't changed since Everybody's Golf 5.

Instead of go to MediaVision, Matrix Software, Millennium Kitchen he rather do that instead. They are in the same Kanto region when Q-Games is in Kansai (Kyoto). That doesn't make sense. It blows my mind how stagnant Shu was and wanted to work with indie developers instead.
Most of those teams you are talking about didn't deliver a successful product more than once. Bad sales and bad critical reception. Why focus on them?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

I think his combination of developer and business experience will give him a perspective unique to the position. Thinking back to GG success and risk taking, makes the decision even more clear. I'm sure he'll take WWS to new heights.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damn, didn't hear that. Sony now has what, 3 different engine properties they work with?
Yes, and the crazy thing is the strategy behind it all. A good example is how the engine keeps evolving. Something I have always loved, for example, is the aesthetic lifelike color / tone type of graphics the metal gear games have had since MGS 2 -5, mindblowingly Death Stranding evolved the engine to incorporate that graphical possibility.

When you consider even how a game like Until Dawn has used Decima, it's slowly becoming possible for Sony to leverage more and more studios to use it (even smaller studios), and unlike EA and Frostbite trying this, no one complains about Decima!
All in all, all this cements Herman Hulst as a great pick. I just hope we get a first party FPS from him ;) , Killzone is his baby after all.

Hers a link confirming Killzone 2 costed 45 million dollars to make, in part , creating that engine capable of replicating that target render from the E3 announcing PS3. I actually think that E3, all the mocking going on about showcasing a target render rather than ingame graphics pushed GG to make that engine.

Last edited:

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think his combination of developer and business experience will give him a perspective unique to the position. Thinking back to GG success and risk taking, makes the decision even more clear. I'm sure he'll take WWS to new heights.
Agreed. :)
He was clearly brought to his position to showcase what PS5 can do. Can't wait!

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Its atleast 4 engines, ND's engine , sucker punch's engine, Decima , and then theres the engine Santa Monica uses. I dont know what San Diego uses for the show.
Don't forget whatever engine MM use, I'lljust call it Dreams engine, seems appropriate :D, and Sony used to have Phyre engine, apparently Gravity Rush 1 used that, not sure with GR2.

I think most Sony dev is using their own engine, Bend is actually the one standing out for using Unreal engine

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Don't forget whatever engine MM use, I'lljust call it Dreams engine, seems appropriate :D, and Sony used to have Phyre engine, apparently Gravity Rush 1 used that, not sure with GR2.

I think most Sony dev is using their own engine, Bend is actually the one standing out for using Unreal engine

I should have remembered dreams. I always forget about Phyre engine. I think demon souls alsonuaed phyre engine.
We also have to add insomniacs proprietary engine to the mix now.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every SIE 1st party studios uses its own engine, besides PixelOpus and Bend Studio (both using a modified Unreal Engine 4).
I should have remembered dreams. I always forget about Phyre engine. I think demon souls alsonuaed phyre engine.
We also have to add insomniacs proprietary engine to the mix now.
Demon's Souls did not run on the PhyreEngine. This was just a fake rumor.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Every SIE 1st party studios uses its own engine, besides PixelOpus and Bend Studio (both using a modified Unreal Engine 4).

Demon's Souls did not run on the PhyreEngine. This was just a fake rumor.

I did not know that. Just doing a quick wiki check on the engine I dont see demons but it does list dark souls 1 as using the phyre engine.

Do you know what engine from used for demons soul?