• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Not as bulletproof as, say, a multiplayer designer, but it looks like Guerrilla might be interested in online again.

Guerrilla, the Amsterdam-based developer of the PS4 Exclusive hit Horizon Zero Dawn, is looking for a UI Programmer to join its internal UX Team and contribute to developing AAA game UIs.
  • You have experience shipping network enabled code, online games.
Source: https://www.guerrilla-games.com/join/user-interface-programmer

It's plausibly the game this person is directing:

guerrillauoiqj.png

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
They also hired the Rainbow Six: Siege director, right? Sounds like multiplayer is something they're going to be doing, which I find kind of unnecessary because Horizon 2 doesn't need multiplayer, but I'm sure some people will disagree.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So what do we think, MP in Horizon 2 or they are working on 2 projects?
They want to work on two projects, and someone noted they hired the director of Rainbow Six: Siege, but it could plausibly fit either, since they noted that they might consider multiplayer for future Horizon games back when they first announced it.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Soulsborne like co-op in Horizon 2, where players can face off in Hunter Trials, or perhaps take down mammoth machines together? I'd be happy if this were even a Killzone prequel that takes place during the first Exosolar War, that way you'd see more of Vekta and wouldn't be regulated to the wastes of Helghan but something that teeters on a more stealth, espionage approach with open battlefields and player agency.

I can't imagine this would work very well. The combat in Horizon is hardly one of its strong points.
Lmao, what? Horizon has some of the BEST gameplay around. If you were referring to melee exclusively you'd have a point but otherwise I think your opinion is one that few people who've played the game hold.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
*twitch* title is wrong. UI Programmer is not the same as UI designer.

Oct 25, 2017
MP in Horizon 2.

If it's another project, we won't be seeing it until like 2023 or later.

I'm sure they are hiring for that project we won't see until 2023. Seriously doubt they brought the Siege director on for Horizon.

We're gonna have to disagree on that one. The archery and ranged combat is fine but the melee feels terrible.

There is nothing to disagree about. Your opinion is vast minority that would have zero influence on any future plans for the franchise. They know what the weakness in the combat were (melee and human combat) and will address them in the sequel.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly an MP focused Killzome game, with Horizon being their big SP centric franchise? I'd be down for that, the MP in Killzone was the best part.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay and combat in Horizon was excellent. Best this generation in my opinion.

On topic - im guessing it's for a new Killzone game that will launch in two years with PlayStation 5.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's a separate multiplayer game that everyone can easily ignore and doesn't intrude on horizon 2's development at all.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
We're gonna have to disagree on that one. The archery and ranged combat is fine but the melee feels terrible.

no one disagrees here, but ranged combat was clearly the game design's focus with some stealth kills mechanics. I hope melee can be a focus in the second game.

Soulsborne like co-op in Horizon 2, where players can face off in Hunter Trials, or perhaps take down mammoth machines together? I'd be happy if this were even a Killzone prequel that takes place during the first Exosolar War, that way you'd see more of Vekta and wouldn't be regulated to the wastes of Helghan but something that teeters on a more stealth, espionage approach with open battlefields and player agency.

Dunno about that. Coop seems perfect for the game tho. It can be Sony's Monster Hunter in that regard.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I think if they were to focus on a shooter again, Sony would be comfortable with them going back to Killzone.

Having said that, Sony are known for leaving decaying franchises behind for successful new ones, so I would be happy to see them tackle a new FPS game or even a TPS that takes what they've learned from Horizon and make something with a really crazy concept like they did with robodino sci-fi.

Either this, or it's online MP for Horizon 2 - which would be interesting given that they toyed with co-op for HZD.

keysersöze

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They also hired the Rainbow Six: Siege director, right? Sounds like multiplayer is something they're going to be doing, which I find kind of unnecessary because Horizon 2 doesn't need multiplayer, but I'm sure some people will disagree.

What director? Xavier Marquis is still at Ubisoft as far as I can tell.

Oct 25, 2017
MP is in their roots and that direction makes sense considering where the industry is going. I look forward to whatever they produce.

I can't imagine this would work very well. The combat in Horizon is hardly one of its strong points.
Combat is by far one of its strongest points. Melee aside, it has some of the best open world combat around.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018

I could easily imagine an co op or open world multiplayer game mode

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Fine with me. I trust GG to add multiplayer elements without treading on the single player experience. Horizon turned out great, and they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

...what? Machine combat is excellent, and is one of the core pillars of the game. I think you forgot to add an "in my opinion," because its combat was highly and widely praised among critics.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no one disagrees here, but ranged combat was clearly the game design's focus with some stealth kills mechanics. I hope melee can be a focus in the second game.

Dunno about that. Coop seems perfect for the game tho. It can be Sony's Monster Hunter in that regard.
I kinda meant-like drop-in, drop-out. You can attack other players to steal their materials/currency or you can participate in a hunt with them and split the loot based upon hunt participation.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assumed all those online programmers had to have been doing something all these years since Shadowfall.

Wouldn't mind seeing GG take a shot at a online GAAS game while Horizon is their single player tentpole.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe its for a new Killzone game, they even have the director of Rainbow Six Siege now. I'm sure that Killzone is coming back.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PvP sounds dumb.

But (MH style) Co-Op hunting missions would be a perfect fit for the sequel

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, they have postings for a UI Designer, UI Programmer, and UX Designer, and I forgot which one I was embedding.

oh nice a whole dedicated team. post should be updated to say UI//UX team ha ha. (kidding)
That is always nice to see. Too often in the industry companies don't understand the different roles.
Its great to see proper teams focused around UI and UX being built with people who are specialized and actually care about that part of the game. It really shows up in the final product.

To echo what was mentioned above , definitely sounds like Killzone, which also explains the online requirement, and full on UI team. MP shooters, require lots of UI work and iteration compared to single player offline experiences.

I think this would be a second team they are ramping up.
While horizon would have a dedicated team.
Both teams will leverage central tech for sure.

Last edited:

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
I could see a new killzone (preferably a reboot) as PS5 launch title. Hermen said they want to release games every 2 or 3 years.

Killzone 2020
Horizon 2 2022 or spring 2023

More time in the oven and a much larger install base for Horizon 2.