• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
ND don't have two teams. Their output dropped this gen. They will likely need to expand as well if they aren't already.

It didn't really drop by much. We're getting three games instead of four (four if you count taking the time to remaster The Last of Us for 360 converts and new buyers in general), with one being as long as two of their PS3 Uncharteds. I still would imagine they will expand/have expanded.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Alrighty.

Now having proven that statement wrong, can we be done?

I'd much rather talk about how absurd it is people think this expansion is so they can work on two projects. 1They're getting ready to develop a PS5 game, and ideally they'd like to take less than seven years to do it. If they want to develop for two games they'll need more than 400 people.

Well you are right, don't know why they jumped on you like that.

Initially I was just shocked by the quality of Horizon compared to other big AAA open world games made by more than 500 people after hearing that there're only 250 people at GG, it was later explained by others that GG outsourced to many other studios, the game wasn't just made by 250 devs, but it's totally okay if someone disagrees with me, especially if they loved Ubisoft games.

Though you have to understand that there's no way people won't bring up Ubisoft in this triple A open world race, especially when most of their triple A titles are open world. It's an easy comparison, like how people always bring up Naughty Dog when it comes to character facial animation, even if the topic wasn't about Naughty Dog at all.

Last edited:

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense as in February they hired the director of Rainbow Six: Siege and he's currently listed as directing a project. That seems unlikely to be Horizon 2 as his expertise has been in competitive FPS games.

I wonder if they'd give him SOCOM to remake....

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Sony first party making moves! Wonder which projects will be PS4 and which projects will be PS5? Or maybe for both. Exciting time to be a PS fan.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Depends completely on hardware specs and what their target is. Resolution-wise, I can definitely see them using the same if not improved version of CBR.

I can definitely see her and all the NPCs looking how they look during dialogue scenes during gameplay (LoD 0 model with most precise lighting calculations at play) at the least.

8IKHSTG.gif

If you mean that level of quality on PS5 during gameplay, that'd be batshit insane... I hope that's possible lol

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Good for them, hope this turns out well and we have more great games to look forward to. Though the place they chose isn't exactly the most sexiest haha :)

I thought this was odd:
The company, one of the most important gaming studios in the world

Look, I respect Guerilla, but are they really considered one of the most important studio's in the world?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
8IKHSTG.gif

If you mean that level of quality on PS5 during gameplay, that'd be batshit insane... I hope that's possible lol

Indeed. This is my hope. And apparently, I have been told (on this forum) that I am expecting too little. Personally, I believe in keeping expectations in check and to that end if the next gen hardware is good enough to provide this gen's in-engine cinematic levels of fidelity during gameplay, it'd be sufficient for me.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I heard that a while ago. Guerrilla Games got more and more famous inside SIE wordwide studios. 400 devs sounds about right.
One main team and a good mid-sized team already preping for their next game.
Having put over 15 hours into Horizon and 80 into Origins....it's not as good as Origins. Also outsourcing is a thing. :P
Having played over 140 hours in Horzion Zero Dawn (including The Frozen Wilds) and ~12 hours in Origins while watching Youtube vidoes at the same time because it bored me to death.... yeah, Origins isn't nearly as good as Horizon Zero Dawn ;)

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
To Netherlands maybe just definitely not the world, not even in the western world.
Well, I'm Dutch, but it was only right before the release of Horizon the mainstream press began to pay attention and even then the whole narrative was more about the money involved in making the game.

I respect them, but don't thjink they're that important at all.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Makes sense as in February they hired the director of Rainbow Six: Siege and he's currently listed as directing a project. That seems unlikely to be Horizon 2 as his expertise has been in competitive FPS games.

To be fair I would not have called Guerilla Games as experts in open-world games or great storytelling before they released Horizon Zero Dawn!

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping they do a new IP too, Horizon didn't click with me and Killzone can stay dead for a decade or two.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Well you are right, don't know why they jumped on you like that.

Initially I was just shocked by the quality of Horizon compared to other big AAA open world games made by more than 500 people after hearing that there're only 250 people at GG, it was later explained by others that GG outsourced to many other studios, the game wasn't just made by 250 devs, but it's totally okay if someone disagrees with me, especially if they loved Ubisoft games.

Though you have to understand that there's no way people won't bring up Ubisoft in this triple A open world race, especially when most of their triple A titles are open world.

Yeah I didn't mean to seem like I was picking on you, I just didn't know where all this "YOU brought up the Assassin's Creed" stuff came from lmao.

But yeah the trick to Ubisoft's massive teams is their games are absurdly gigantic and they're churned out with some regularity. Sure you can have a 250 person team and churn out a quality game. (Horizon isn't bad by any means, I just didn't enjoy it as much as Origins but I liked Origins quite a bit.) But that quality game is going to take over half a decade to come out lol. They want probably half the time for development.

Yeah I heard that a while ago. Guerrilla Games got more and more famous inside SIE wordwide studios. 400 devs sounds about right.
One main team and a good mid-sized team already preping for their next game.

Having played over 140 hours in Horzion Zero Dawn (including The Frozen Wilds) and ~12 hours in Origins while watching Youtube vidoes at the same time because it bored me to death.... yeah, Origins isn't nearly as good as Horizon Zero Dawn ;)

What do you know, you're still fantasizing about those 4 touchdowns back at Polk High. :D

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I want

Killzone World

Open world Killzone RPG

and what do you do in that game? liberate Helgan outposts and rescue civilians from Helghast soldiers?

Yeah I didn't mean to seem like I was picking on you, I just didn't know where all this "YOU brought up the Assassin's Creed" stuff came from lmao.

But yeah the trick to Ubisoft's massive teams is their games are absurdly gigantic and they're churned out with some regularity. Sure you can have a 250 person team and churn out a quality game. (Horizon isn't bad by any means, I just didn't enjoy it as much as Origins but I liked Origins quite a bit.) But that quality game is going to take over half a decade to come out lol. They want probably half the time for development.

I can agree on that, no one pumps out open world games faster than Ubi.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Indeed. This is my hope. And apparently, I have been told (on this forum) that I am expecting too little. Personally, I believe in keeping expectations in check and to that end if the next gen hardware is good enough to provide this gen's in-engine cinematic levels of fidelity during gameplay, it'd be sufficient for me.

Yup. I think you're right in keeping expectations in check. Better to keep expectations low, and be surprised if it exceeds that. I'd be surprised if they can even get Aloy to look like that while moving about in the open-world, not just in the dialogue sequences.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please make a new Killzone in the dark, gritty style of KZ2. And remaster KZ2 at the same time. After Destiny 1 there just hasn't been a truly great online FPS.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I respect Guerilla, but are they really considered one of the most important studio's in the world?
Considering Kojima picked up their Decima Engine, the awards they've received for their tech in Horizon, and how much racial diversity is in the game, they have been *one of* the most important developers for me this gen. Not sure why you're acting like anyone said *the most important* or something. I also find it pretty incredible that their was their first attempt at a game like this and it still ended up a big hit.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see. Horizon is one of my favorites this gen. Would this make them Sony's biggest studio?

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
On top of the 6.5 year development cycle, they had zillions of contractors. This isn't even comprehensive as there were like 5+ large scale contractors that refused to list what staff contributed:

Contractors and External Companies: 3Lateral Studio
CEO and FACS Director Vladimir Mastilović
3Lateral Studio Sonja Marković, Jelena Blažič, Uroš Sikimić, Nikola Višnjić, Vojislav Pavkov, Vuk Rajković, Alen Arslanagić, Arman Mušović, Aleksandar Nikolić, Nikola Kudus, Relja Ljubobratović, Bojan Torbica, Predrag Mihić, Milan Kljajić, Aleksandar Popov, Luka Lakić, Josip Vrandečić, Goran Mamić, Lazar Damjanov, Gordana Gogić, Marko Bugarski, Ana Bogdanović, Vojislav Vukadin, Aleksa Bračić, Dragutin Šuković, Biljana Zlatković, Marko Brković, Đorđe Lazić, Nenad Vukić, Nikola Milosavljević, Milena Vrandečić, Milica Mastilović, Boris Ćetković, Jelena Mastilović, Dijana Šljukić, Marija Blaskovic, Dragan Davidović, Igor Budai, Nikola Stošić, Aleksandra Kalaj, Filip Petronijević, Tatjana Bojović, Marko Cvetičanin, Dejan Dragojlov, Igor Tejić, Miroslav Jovčov, Brankica Nikić, Zorana Stevanović, Vladimir Kuzevski, Aron Vajda, Bojana Šarac

Contractors and External Companies: Adia Entertainment Ltd.
CEO Yaming Di
Adia Entertainment Ltd. Lisa Lu, Matthew Dai, Kane Qian, Carl Chen, Michael Wan, Jessica Wang, Adam Zhang, Alan Li, Alan Wu, Ashley Jiang, Chris Li, Carl Lu, Chris Zhao, Dan Feng, Eva Wang, Lucas Lai, Lucas Liu, Jay Song, Jim Feng, Kevin Fang, Nick Yang

Contractors and External Companies: Audiomotion
Managing Director Brian Mitchell
Audiomotion Mick Morris, Mike Hedges, Stacey Boisselle, Nicole Rouyer Guillet, Eddie Ellis, Luke Niejadlik, Andy Gough, Connor Ling, James Witt, Anna Laura Kolleck, Tristan Hefele, Paul Taylor, John Perry, Chris Williams, Nick Mckinless, Peter Predrero, John Sharpe, Rhea Allen, Sam Mortimore, India Vadher-Lowe, Nick Gavin, Jayne Clarke Catering

Contractors and External Companies: Axis Animation
Director Dana Dorian
Axis Animation Paul Mackman, Richard Scott, Laura McAllister, Ross Main, Maria Casas, Jill Wallace, Bruce Sutherland, Chris Derochie, Carmelo Leggiero, Tracey Chung, Manuel Czepok, Alexis De Jesus Costa, Chris MacDonald, Si Qi Ho, Daniel Calleja, Kevin McDade, David Mourato, Jofre Balboa, James Bown, Lee Cashmore, Richard Clay, Guliz Demiray, Jose Domato, Nelly Durieux, Esteban Errando, Martyn Gutteridge, Pablo Heras, Marián Jurík, Mack Knights, Nicolai Marcher, Albert Papaseit, Matteo Sanna, Luke Smith, Martin Stominoev, Carlos Velasco, Jason Fairly, Michael Mussato, David Bailey, Bas Hesen, Sandy Sutherland, Peter Devlin, Allen Rendall

Contractors and External Companies: KARAKTER - Assistant Creative Development
Creative Director Tobias Mannewitz
KARAKTER - Assistant Creative Development Henrik Bolle, Valentin Lessnerkraus, Christian Günther, Floris Didden, Dan Blomberg, Viktor Jonsson, Sebastian Gromann, Mike Hill, Adrian Wilkins, Tim Löchner, Viktor Fetsch, Jana Schirmer, Marko Schöbel, Karl Kopinski, Craig Mullins, Ville Eriksson, Steven Bagazky, Tom Hiebler, Sven Sauer, Tom Probert, Mederith Rowe, Philip Sherer, Kirill Barybin

Contractors and External Companies: Kokku & Diorama Art Division
Kokku & Diorama Art Division Thiago di Freitas, Alberto Lopes, Alex Rodrigues, Alisson Pereira, Everaldo Neto, Guilherme Baltar, Miguel Doherty, Poliana Ferraz, Rodolpho Pimentel

Contractors and External Companies: Kudos Productions Ltd.
General Manager Edward Yeh
Kudos Productions Ltd. Bida Wang, Eric Yeh, Dolly Chen, DouDou Zhuang, Eating Tsai, Emit Lin, Ichen Lin, Jim Lin, JunLong Guo, Maverick Chen, Ming Su, Niki Pan, Polly Yu, Stacey Huang, Stan Huang, Weiting Yu

Contractors and External Companies: MetricMinds GmbH & Co. KG
Managing Producer Philip Weiss
MetricMinds GmbH & Co. KG Christoph Schulte, Philip Erdsiek, Tobias Scholz, Waldemar Filbert, Simon Heinz, Joel Fisher, Peer Poepperling, Daniel Lange, Dimitri Joseph, Diana Küppers, Alina Gottbrecht, Christian Schrod

Contractors and External Companies: Outsource Media Ltd.
Director Mark Estdale
Outsource Media Ltd Joanna Green, James D. Mortellaro, Amanda Wyatt, JB Blanc, Victoria Prentice, Chris Borders (TikiMan productions), SIDE UK, Juan Manuel Delfín, Ben Maltz-Jones, Nick Morillaro, Lewis Bean, Charles Pateman, Marc Weber, Ann Scantlebury, Siyuan Lin, Paul M. Fox, Darren Lodwick, Marta Puerto, Matthew Panayiotopoulos, Michael Robert Redhead, Ben Hickman

Contractors and External Companies: Red Hot CG
CEO Daniel Johnson Staton
Red Hot CG Leo Ling, Claas Grimm, Sandy Zhang, Zhang Ukee, Biao Yue, Li Kang, Xia Yu, Ning Hu, Li Hongwei, Wang Xian, Li Yuan, Shi Shuai, Tao Bo Cheng, Yu Jiang, Ma Jun, Zhang Mengjian, Du Yun, Tang Yuanwei, Gou Yujiang, Deng Qiang, Ruozhou Wang, Sun Wei, Gong Wenwen, Zhu Jie, Feng Tinale, Wu Lina, Jie Wei, Min Lu, Xu Yunlei, Yuxuan Sun, Shengping Liu, Wei Shuai

Contractors and External Companies: Snark Co., Ltd.
Producer Li Jiang
Snark Co., Ltd. Xiao Liang, Lu Bao, Weiguang Luo, Rong Deng, Fazhong Ma, Xiongya Li, Liyang Xu, Huanzhong Hao, Zhilin Wu, Guangmei Xi, Rui Wu, Jianwei Chen

Contractors and External Companies: Virtuos
CEO Gilles Langourieux
Virtuos Philippe Angely, Hugo Pervez, Lu Xiaming, Huang Ying, Zhong Yongjun, Wang Xinyu, Ouyang Xin, Jing Zhang, Zhi Bo, Liu Yi, Li Ye, Tian GuiLin, Liu Hongtao, Wang Ruonan, Liu Shaoyi, Cao Rong, Tian Minghua, Wu Jing, Jiang Lina, Shi Jiaoan, Liu Zhi Yong, Wang Xue, Peng Heng, Zhang Di Yan, Zhang Cheng Lei, Feng Huipeng, Li Rui Qing, Wang Xiao Yan, Zhang Xue Ying, Chen Zhichao, Li Junchang, Li Weiming, Sun Yadan, Wan Huiting, Guo Ying, Zhuang Yucong, Wang Liye, Shao Wenhao, Xiao Baoqin, Ding Hui, Xiong Jiahui, Wang Zhenhua, Chen Guikang, Zhao Huaquan, Luo Jiezhi, Yan Chenhu, Chi Chenhao, Qiu Guangyu, Piotr Nasirau, Xuan Xingkang, Hu Yancheng, Deng Kai, Wang Xin, Wang Tianyang, Tang Ri, Zheng Jiabo, Li Hao, Pu Hanhao, Li Yanlong, Yu Zongbao, Sun Yuhua, Liu Zhijie, Wei Yiqun, Pan Pan

Contractors and External Companies: XPEC Art Center
CEO Wonder Lin
XPEC Art Center Rachel Chao, Shoung Liao, Cooper Zhang, Christopher Hunt, Box Hsih, Gordon Lin, Song Huali, Hui Wang, Kai Yang, Bao Xiaoyan, Chen YouCai, Hong Yi, Carrie Zhou, Effy Yang, Emma Chen, Ilin Hsu-Laredo, Judy Liu, Winnie Yuan, Zoe Cheng, Ango Huang, Arthur Huang, Wang Bingbing, Bo Zhang, Chao Ji, Ya ChengWei, Chunjie Wang, Dan Zhang, Zhang Dandan, Yang DaWei, Yao DaZheng, Don Huang, Donglai Zhang, Dongru Shen, Fengji Du, GeningLun Liao, Han OuYang, Wang Haoming, Ma Hongyan, Hua-Dong Zhang, Zhou Huanhuan, Huiping Sun, Jianhua Zhao, Jie Yang, Jing Zhang, Jingshui Liang, Zhang Jinyong, JL Wu, Jue Zhang, Jun Luan, Lei Zhang, Zhou Lei, Li Qian, Liang Chen, Lidong Zhang, Lihe Zhou, Qin Mei, Min Zhang, Momo Lee, Na Liu, Nomay Huang, Cui Qi, Qiang Li, Zhao Qingmei, Zhang Qunzhong, Rinn Wang, Rjoe Tu, Sai Pang, Sheng Yu, Shuai Chen, Shuang Wu, Tingting Zhang, Wanhui Li, Weian Chen, Miao Wen, Wentao Yuan, Wentao Zhang, Wenyu Jiang, Xiang Ding, Xiangyu Ding, Xiaoshuang Shan, Xifei Ge, Xin Liu, Xiru Yuan, Yang Shao, Ye Feng, Yishian Chang, Yiwei Zhu, Yong-Qiang Ma, Yongxu Shan, Yu Liang, Yu Shen, Yuanjing Yu, Yue Liang, Zell Wu, Zepeng Wang, Yuan Zhaowei, Zhengrong Wang, Zhenwei Ge, Zhigang Song, Zhilong He, Zhonghui Li, Yang Zhu, Ziyuan Zhu, Yan Yang, Rongrong Wu, Ellen Sun, Rongrong Wu, Yan Yang
Where did you find this info to copy paste?

If they're going to bother making more killzone then they need to go the RPG route with that too. The lore was always pretty interesting but, kind of like halo, you never actually saw any of it if you only played the games. As normal FPS they were never able to make anything that good or interesting, so stop trying to do something you can't do.
Wtf? All KZ games managed to expand and use the lore in many ways, with KZ2 also managing to be one of the best FPS of all time.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still need to buy and play Shadow Fall
I'm a big Guerrilla fan and I don't think you need to play that game. It is a very average FPS.

If they're going to bother making more killzone then they need to go the RPG route with that too. The lore was always pretty interesting but, kind of like halo, you never actually saw any of it if you only played the games. As normal FPS they were never able to make anything that good or interesting, so stop trying to do something you can't do.
I've said this before, so I agree with you. As a FPS, I'd want Killzone to reinvent itself.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Exciting stuff. This is a studio that's going to help sell consoles and Sony knows it.

Horizon is a hot new IP and Decima is a beast of an engine. Really love the position Guerrilla is in right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony said they wanted to get back into MP, right?

I don't think Horizon is it. I don't see that being a major component to the game, at least I hope not. Co-op, sure. But I hope they don't invest heavily in that.

But a Killzone reboot, 3rd person? I would love that, with a big focus on MP.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
"release games in the two or three years, both new titles and games based on existing titles"
Sounds like they're working on a new IP? I wouldn't be surprised if they hired that Siege director for a new FPS and not Killzone.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
OP/Resetera, we need to talk about thread titles.

A simple "Guerrila Games is expanding" would suffice. No need to cram all details in there at once.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Considering Kojima picked up their Decima Engine, the awards they've received for their tech in Horizon, and how much racial diversity is in the game, they have been *one of* the most important developers for me this gen. Not sure why you're acting like anyone said *the most important* or something. I also find it pretty incredible that their was their first attempt at a game like this and it still ended up a big hit.
I said "one of the most important studio's in the world" which is literally a quote from the article.