• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whether Horizon has MP or not is not a part of what I was saying though. What Im saying is that if they are working on a 2nd title, something MP focused, I'd rather it be something new than saddling it with an existing IP like SOCOM or Killzone. I don't think using an existing IP like those adds anything, if anything handcuffs a studio that, based on how Horizon sort of came out of nowhere, seems to have a lot of creative talent and ideas. I'd rather see what else they can come up with. Let that shit fly.

I disagree with this wholeheartedly, having an established and dedicated base like SOCOM or Warhawk would bring for example, is a really good early start for a game that they clearly envision as an e-sports offering. SOCOM especially would seem perfect for it, given it's long history with MLG/GameBattles.

SOCOM definitely isn't what it once was when it comes to popularity, but what's to suggest it can't reclaim its former glory with a similar return to that focus on what it did so well? It really was essentially the counter-strike of consoles for a while. People loved that shit, do it right and they'll love it again.

I would be worried about establishing a brand new IP. Anyways, ultimately, my guess is that this is going to be a Killzone reboot, that takes the game in a totally different direction gameplay wise . There's a lot for them to use in that universe, so i think it'll be KZ completely overhauled to be more tactical and intimate with the guy from Siege at the controls.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
SOCOM and Warhawk are not remotely relevant today. To get that major, crossover, "e-sports" type audience you are alluding to, they might as well be starting from scratch. Nobody in that audience cares about those IPs. The fanbases that do, are small and dedicated sure, but those kinds of fanbases can also tend to be tough to please, or meet expectations of. You have to juggle meeting the existing expectations of people that enjoyed these games 10-20 years ago, while at the same time creating something that appeals to modern audiences. If I were a brand new developer with nothing tying me to those titles, I wouldn't want any part of that.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SOCOM and Warhawk are not remotely relevant today. To get that major, crossover, "e-sports" type audience you are alluding to, they might as well be starting from scratch. Nobody in that audience cares about those IPs. The fanbases that do, are small and dedicated sure, but those kinds of fanbases can also tend to be tough to please, or meet expectations of. You have to juggle meeting the existing expectations of people that enjoyed these games 10-20 years ago, while at the same time creating something that appeals to modern audiences. If I were a brand new developer with nothing tying me to those titles, I wouldn't want any part of that.

How relevant was RB6 when Siege dropped? It had been almost 8 years since Vegas 2 launched, and look at what it's done this genearation. I see no reason why SOCOM couldn't pull off something similar if attempted to be the tactical/intimate shooter that initially made it so popular.

I think you're exaggerating the issue of taking an older series and making it appeal to the og fan base and a modern audience at the same time. That's literally happening in gaming all the time, old franchises are brought back as parts of a revamp or reboot with just enough of the charm from the originals to keep the die hards happy. I think you'd be surprised at how many within the e-spors realm would absolutely love a SOCOM reboot.

All that said...again.. i think we're having a healthy discussion but i think we're both wrong. I don't think it's going to be a new IP nor a SOCOM/Warhawk/MAG offering . I really think it's just going to be more Killzone. Shadow Fall seemed like an initial attempt to move KZ in a new direction, and i think this will now be the next major step in basically rebooting the series.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
SOCOM could def come back. Just needs a lot of rework and be up to date

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Or you know people with a different opinion. To me kz2 multi was pretty great but single player lacked, KZ3 in general lacked, and shadowfall I didnt even bother finishing. And KZ2 multiplayer was divisive among what would be considered a small audience by today's measure

Killzone is just kind of a bland IP, they could make it could maybe but doesnt really have anything iconic like kratos worth salvaging imo

Or... you know... a consensus of opinion: Killzone 2 91% MC Score

Sorry, but games don't score above a 90 on MC if they are just "bland".

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Small group?

Maybe Warhawk and MAG but SOCOM and Killzone are massive IPs. It would for sure cater to a large audience - especially if it's becomes a tactical shooter like Siege

Is SOCOM really a massive IP? A couple of decent SOCOM games from the PS2 era and a bad game on the PS3? Even on message forums you rarely see anyone create threads to talk about these games. Besides it's been so long, why even need to revive it? It's not like the people who made the originals would be working on it. It's like people getting excited for a Rare-made game, when most of those people who made those classic games are long gone. There's no point in getting exciting for a label.

Oct 27, 2017
If they were going back to Killzone, I'd love for it to be third person with a high emphasis on mobility.

Ugh, I really hope not. The last thing Sony needs at the moment is more third person shooters. I'd like them to make another Killzone taking lessons learned and the best bits from KZ2, 3, Shadow Fall and Mercenary. While getting someone new to write the story and dialogue.

Aug 29, 2018
Or... you know... a consensus of opinion: Killzone 2 91% MC Score

Sorry, but games don't score above a 90 on MC if they are just "bland".
Agree to disagree. At the time they did lol, things where very different and it definitely got a graphical benchmark bump at a time where that still paid dividends....

I mean not everyone thought it was bland, but a lot of discussion around the series has been that...and kz2 scoring a 91 in 2009 doesnt change that? So idk dude. The controls where divisive, story bland with some pretty uninspired parallels to ww2. Changing the controls removed some of the little identity it had imo and after 4 games they havent had a breakthrough with the series while after a single one horizon killed it.

They have no need to contribute that talent to this ip just how I feel. Not everyone who feels different is a shitposter or personally attacking you