• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Yeah. Looks great. The first game also looked great even on the base PS4.

Not everyone has a PS5 and there being a PS4 version has not diminished either version. They both look great.

I think, like every generation, people have a wildly inflated idea of what next generation consoles are capable of. Especially so early in the generation.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Fuck off with this gatekeeping bullshit.

Its so stupid. Like people really should look back at gen on gen changes early and realize many games that were early in a Gen where you pretty much had to start from scratch were just fancy tech demos.

Right now cross gen games get to benefit from ALL the shit they learned and designed last gen and then get crazy early returns on the new gen stuff.
There has never been a game early in a consoles life that ever took full advantage. being Able to port and extend the games gives us some mature ass late gen games with all the early next gen features.

Also this will accelerate these devs knowledge of the next gen where their next games will benefit from all of this work.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I'll be playing on both a PS5 and PS4 Pro so happy to see it should hold up nicely, which was expected given how HZD looked (and played).

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It looks like Zero Dawn, which is great for PS4.
I gotta say tho that one of the things that pushed me to the PS5 was seeing Forbidden West running on PS5 and being sure that I wanted to play that not what I've played on Zero Dawn. I was right.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Still looks fantastic on PS4. :) Glad for everyone playing this on PS4 and Pro.

They improved the cloud system a lot, even on PS4, at least going by those pictures. Zero Dawn had sometimes low res/ pixelated clouds. These look really clean and crisp.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Looks sensational. Hope it runs as well as HZD does on PS4, maybe it'll use a dynamic resolution?

Can't wait to get the PS5 version and take some screens lol

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
As someone who doesn't use photo mode in any game, does photo mode ever improve the visual quality of the game compare when it's in motion?

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
My biggest hope is way better image quality. The PS4 version on ps5 despite being 4k (checkerboard) is supper shimmery and still has some blur at the same time. I hope for Ratchet lime iq.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
if the ps4 watermark wasnt there i couldnt tell you which version these are from.

and not sure if thats a good thing, now that the current gen is in its second year.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
It's great that a game designed for PS4 looks good on PS4!

On a more serious note, I was never really worried about the PS4 version. I'm glad they finally revealed screenshots.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Looks sensational. Hope it runs as well as HZD does on PS4, maybe it'll use a dynamic resolution?

Can't wait to get the PS5 version and take some screens lol
They def are using Checkerboarding/DRS even can tell on PS5 thats the case it seems like. Which def prob helps them to do a lot with their frame budget.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looks like you forgot to open your eyes

To ruin my post, I was merely mocking this recent Thread:

www.resetera.com

"It looks like a PS2 game"

Does it, Era? Does it really look like a ps2 game? Do you remember what ps2 games even looked like. /s I know its none of you here, its elsewhere where people slap that saying on any game that doesnt look super hot, graphically. Its funny at times but sometimes just plain dumb Edit: I know...

...and this recent Video, which says Halo Infinite looks like a PS2 Game:

But really, the game does still look nice for a PS4 game.

It looks perfectly respectable for base ps4. I'm glad there appears to be greater generational distance between the PS4/PS5 versions, unlike Spider-Man MM.

No.

Yeah, it seems like the further we get into the Gen, the bigger the divide will be for Cross-gen.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021
As someone who doesn't use photo mode in any game, does photo mode ever improve the visual quality of the game compare when it's in motion?
Yes, you can actually see the world in photo mode. In-game the FoV is so restrictive that you cant see much of it. That's what I'm hoping they changed in the PS5 version.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I think it looks good enough that I wouldn't feel bad at all playing it on a PS4. Frankly the biggest hit is gonna be the frame rate, but it's kinda nuts seeing what an old machine can still pump out

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
You don't really the same pic on PS5 to know this is worse, you just need to zoom in. What we really should ask for is a gameplay video on PS4 because performance is the big question.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Man some of ya'll have completely ignored how hard it is to get a PS5. I'm happy for this version since me and many other people will be able to play the game in a timely manner.
Not even with how hard it is to get a PS5 though as the PS4 version of HFW (as well as GT7 and others) was obviously in development well before the PS5 even came out.

It's simply good that there are high quality cross-gen games coming from both Sony and Microsoft so that as many people as possible can play them. I don't care about "maximizing" the next gen versions, they are still the best versions to play and benefit greatly from the hardware without completely giving up on the previous generation.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
you can tell it's not even close to being a nice looking as the PS5 version. but that's to be expected...it still looks great though. i really like the decima engine.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I swear to God, each day it passes something makes me ask myself: "Why the hell did I buy a PS5?"
I really was a FOMO victim, and I seriously need to be better on this.

Very happy for the PS4 users, game looks stunning as well. Curious about the loading times differences.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Other than the hero lighting I don't notice a difference between this and the PS5 version