• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Heh I end up learning about this drama from the thread that was posted here lol. Pretty crazy stuff, including GGs rearing their ugly heads in the reddit, but in the end, she really didn't handle that well.

Did some WvW tonight, and apparently in the process of fixing a exploit to get into outer Air Keep in desert borderlands, Anet ended up opening a path into outer, via dropping down a cliff short way, so you don't need to break gates or walls for outer.:P

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I'm mostly disappointed at Anet's reaction. The lack of explanation for the firings, making it seem like they're throwing the two under the bus for an affair that shouldn't otherwise warrant this reaction, plus the lack of display of support for their other employees, it's not what I expected from this company. It has soured me on this game.

Nishastra

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly disappointed at Anet's reaction. The lack of explanation for the firings, making it seem like they're throwing the two under the bus for an affair that shouldn't otherwise warrant this reaction, plus the lack of display of support for their other employees, it's not what I expected from this company. It has soured me on this game.
That and also this has made it very clear that there are an awful lot of vile people in the GW2 community, from all the celebration and sexism-doesn't-exist type posts. I spent some money in GW2 a few days ago and now I kind of wish I hadn't, because I don't want to support the direction this is going.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Having read the closed thread, the firing seemed warranted based on the hostility she showed to what was a harmless tweet.

That said, Massicot (I think) in the thread mentioned how it was not just any rando, it was a partner of the game with an NPC named after them. That probably wasn't a good look to the company.

Was the firing extreme? Maybe, maybe not. It seems warranted based on the hostility but then you might think "Why not ask her to apologize or etc" but we have no idea what happened internally to say so.

It sucks that this gives more ammo for the GGer types to be obsessed with for a bit. But whatever. :/ urgh.

Also sucks that Peter has been let go as well but he should have known better as well. :/

Nishastra

Oct 27, 2017
What she actually did is almost irrelevant at this point. It didn't warrant what happened, and what Peter did certainly didn't.

The thing is, the mob immediately began calling for blood very loudly and they got it.

There are communities out there devoted to harassing women in video games that they don't like until they react and then mass-reporting their reaction to get their Twitter accounts (or whatever) shut down. It seems likely that this is essentially what happened here, judging by all the threads that were shitting up the GW2 forums and subreddit before she was fired.

Nothing she said was worthy of so much anger, but because she's an "SJW" the troops were rallied and because she was specifically mean to a white guy, they decided to call it "racism and sexism".

As a bonus, her reaction was to a guy who was only being casually sexist, which makes it even better because most people won't even acknowledge that.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
As a bonus, her reaction was to a guy who was only being casually sexist, which makes it even better because most people won't even acknowledge that.

Explain?

The guy just gave his input on a public platform. A very healthy disagreement that is far more respectful than many gamers give. So how was he being casually sexist.

edit:

For people who haven't seen it

Read the 4 posts from him in response to her. It was a thoughtful response on a public platform. Nothing that deserved a response like the one he got.

Last edited:

PhotonicBrain

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe Nishastra meant TotalBuiscut?

Anyways, GW2 is one of the few games I play since I can't stand gamers IRL or in the more toxic online communities. Shame this happened and I wouldn't blame ANet if they go radio silent from now on.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
That and also this has made it very clear that there are an awful lot of vile people in the GW2 community, from all the celebration and sexism-doesn't-exist type posts. I spent some money in GW2 a few days ago and now I kind of wish I hadn't, because I don't want to support the direction this is going.

Those kind of assholes exist everywhere though, with every game and every group. Reddit is a cesspool on top of that.
I wouldn't even have known that all of this was going down if I hadn't gotten stuck trying to get an achievement and gone and even looked in there. Yeah, I'm worried that this is going to embolden the sexists playing the game for awhile. Anet just has to double down to banning those people if they act out of line in the game, if there's a severe backlash put out another PR statement.

Bathe in the irony of a bunch of those types playing what is otherwise a very feminist MMO.

I'm sure the whole company is not happy today regardless, and a good portion of the fanbase as well.
Anyway, it's all a mess. Let's go back to talking about the latest update and how that's a mess too.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Things not calmed down yet? I've not touched the update yet, just waiting for things to calm down before doing so.

The crashing was fixed, but I still keep running into random issues like achievements not unlocking when they should and polish issues. You can definitely make it through the story instances and stuff without hitting major snags now.

Nishastra

Oct 27, 2017
Explain?

The guy just gave his input on a public platform. A very healthy disagreement that is far more respectful than many gamers give. So how was he being casually sexist.

edit:

For people who haven't seen it

Read the 4 posts from him in response to her. It was a thoughtful response on a public platform. Nothing that deserved a response like the one he got.
No, that is exactly my point about casual sexism. People can't even grasp why it would be upsetting.

The fact that he's being cordial doesn't really matter, his tweets are still explaining to her how her job and the systems it relates to work. As a response, he's listing out a bunch of things that she knows more about than he does.

Her response is a bit harsh, but you have to understand that women, especially women online, especially women in tech fields, deal with this constantly. No one ever believes that they're actually qualified, everyone thinks that the most basic, surface-level ideas would be revelatory to them.

I'm sure Deroir didn't intend anything like that by his tweets, but that's why I called it "casual". It's just the (probably subconscious) idea that he's more knowledgeable than her.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
edit: Don't want the OT to be filled with this conversation and since the other thread about it was closed anyway, let's move onto discussing the game instead

Last edited:

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Disappointed in ArenaNet, but I am glad MO did the right thing. Attacking your users giving constructive and respectful feedback, trying to bully the discussion into unrelated territories to shut down voices. Particularly for those low-key celebratory tweets following TPs death. People who are passive aggressive to this level don't belong on social media or representing a company.

Sad to see her go as well as Fries. I like what the narrative team has done in the last 2 years a lot, so this makes me sad. But it equally makes me sad, that what I thought was one of the best (if not the best) Developer-community relations in a game, now has a really shitty element to it.

ApexPoogie

Jul 3, 2018
No, that is exactly my point about casual sexism. People can't even grasp why it would be upsetting.

The fact that he's being cordial doesn't really matter, his tweets are still explaining to her how her job and the systems it relates to work. As a response, he's listing out a bunch of things that she knows more about than he does.

Her response is a bit harsh, but you have to understand that women, especially women online, especially women in tech fields, deal with this constantly. No one ever believes that they're actually qualified, everyone thinks that the most basic, surface-level ideas would be revelatory to them.

I'm sure Deroir didn't intend anything like that by his tweets, but that's why I called it "casual". It's just the (probably subconscious) idea that he's more knowledgeable than her.

Yeah this is exactly it. It's a Youtuber with 0 experience describing basic writing to someone with infinitely more experience and education on the subject. Even taking gender out of it, it's incredibly obnoxious and condescending. It's like if I was a software engineer tackling a difficult problem, and someone comes up to me and unironically says "well maybe you should start learning with a little program I call Hello World."

Hero2Zero

Mar 10, 2018
...i was debating about quiting wow to play gw2, but it look like shit is about to hit the fan from all sides (patch issues, toxic communities and dev drama) i just go back to wow, at least it been toxic since 2004 so radiation have numb me to it. i love that bug mount though.

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DPvHexaXkAAsUnu.jpg

The guy isn't "some rando", Deroir is a very respected partnered GW2 youtuber and has his own npc in game.

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is exactly it. It's a Youtuber with 0 experience describing basic writing to someone with infinitely more experience and education on the subject. Even taking gender out of it, it's incredibly obnoxious and condescending. It's like if I was a software engineer tackling a difficult problem, and someone comes up to me and unironically says "well maybe you should start learning with a little program I call Hello World."
If she didn't reply to him the way she did no one would have been fired.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

But that's like not at all what happened.

He didn't tell her how to do her job. Hell, the guy who responded to her was literally PRAISING HER just a day before this happened. Gushing over how amazing her responses were to the AMA that had happened just that day. So when she made the the thread on twitter, he wanted to give his two cents on the issue she was talking about, he didn't tell her how to do her job nor did he state that his critique was without fault. Yet in response she called him a sexist and a 'rando asshat' for literally giving a well constructed critique.

Hell, he's not even disagreeing with most of the thread, just one aspect of it.

This is a developer who when TotalBiscuit died, went on twitter to celebrate his death. The very thing that a few other Dev's did... AND GOT FIRED for. The only reason why she didn't is because her's was never made the news like the others did. And when called out on it she doubled down even further.

Like come on...

It's already bad we got GG'ers co-opting this drama, but it's bad enough trying to make her out to be a victim.

ApexPoogie

Jul 3, 2018
But that's like not at all what happened.

He didn't tell her how to do her job. Hell, the guy who responded to her was literally PRAISING HER just a day before this happened. Gushing over how amazing her responses were to the AMA that had happened just that day. So when she made the the thread on twitter, he wanted to give his two cents on the issue she was talking about, he didn't tell her how to do her job nor did he state that his critique was without fault. Yet in response she called him a sexist and a 'rando asshat' for literally giving a well constructed critique.

Hell, he's not even disagreeing with most of the thread, just one aspect of it.

This is a developer who when TotalBiscuit died, went on twitter to celebrate his death. The very thing that a few other Dev's did... AND GOT FIRED for. The only reason why she didn't is because her's was never made the news like the others did. And when called out on it she doubled down even further.

Like come on...

It's already bad we got GG'ers co-opting this drama, but it's bad enough trying to make her out to be a victim.

I'm not saying Epic Youtuber Gamer Lad XD meant anything ill by it. I'm sure he genuinely thought he was helping, but ultimately he was introducing very basic, entry-level information to an experienced educated writer.

Obviously it was a bad decision for her to clap back over social media, because Ultimate Epic Youtuber Gamer Lad XD is just another nobody screaming into the void whose opinion ultimately is useless and means nothing. This is why most of us just have anonymous accounts to vent on.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying Epic Youtuber Gamer Lad XD meant anything ill by it. I'm sure he genuinely thought he was helping, but ultimately he was introducing very basic, entry-level information to an experienced educated writer.

Obviously it was a bad decision for her to clap back over social media, because Ultimate Epic Youtuber Gamer Lad XD is just another nobody screaming into the void whose opinion ultimately is useless and means nothing. This is why most of us just have anonymous accounts to vent on.

I mean you also got to understand that she did this to an ArenaNet Partner, so not just any Youtuber but one of the biggest in the Guild Wars 2 community. Like they work WITH ArenaNet on some stuff and are the biggest drivers of getting new players to join.

Hell, he's so prominent he has an NPC named after him in the Fractals.

ApexPoogie

Jul 3, 2018
I mean you also got to understand that she did this to an ArenaNet Partner, so not just any Youtuber but one of the biggest in the Guild Wars 2 community. Like they work WITH ArenaNet on some stuff and are the biggest drivers of getting new players to join.

Hell, he's so prominent he has an NPC named after him in the Fractals.

I mean, that's great, but it also doesn't mean that his opinions are helpful or useful about writing. Some of my company's biggest clients have no idea what they're asking for half the time, and change their mind every other week about what they want.

I do understand that that's part of why she was fired; the mob rules and Youtubers can whip up big mobs.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's great, but it also doesn't mean that his opinions are helpful or useful about writing. Some of my company's biggest clients have no idea what they're asking for half the time, and change their mind every other week about what they want.

I do understand that that's part of why she was fired; the mob rules and Youtubers can whip up big mobs.

Okay but... She posted her thread in a public place. She didn't have her twitter private, it was open. He wasn't condescending, he wasn't telling her how to do her job. He was just giving his 2 cents one part of the thread she touched upon. Dude acted very respectful towards her and she lashed out at him.

Like are you really trying to defend someone who went on twitter to celebrate the death of a person?

But even before that, she insulted someone out in the open who works with ArenaNet to help promote the game and get community interactions. What kind of public image is that for a company who insults their own people they collaborate with?

ApexPoogie

Jul 3, 2018
Okay but... She posted her thread in a public place. She didn't have her twitter private, it was open. He wasn't condescending, he wasn't telling her how to do her job. He was just giving his 2 cents one part of the thread she touched upon. Dude acted very respectful towards her and she lashed out at him.

Like are you really trying to defend someone who went on twitter to celebrate the death of a person?

I don't really know or care about the topic of TB enough to comment on it or research it. And I'm not trying to defend anyone; in fact above I said that her getting into this was a bad idea. Believe it or not, everything isn't always my side vs your side.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
After all the drama put this back on my radar I got back into playing a little bit after a couple years mostly away. I stopped mid way thru the Heart of Thorns stuff because I found those expansion zones a total chore to get thru and am immediately being reminded of that. So many areas are only accessible during/after completing public events and I'm playing solo and it really stinks. Had so much fun playing thru vanilla and got 100% map completion and a couple characters to level 80 it's too bad I started having such a bad time with the first xpac. Is the new expansion more fun in comparison or more like HoT? I see people riding around on mounts now and I imagine those are locked to it the way gliders were to HoT? Trying to find the fun against cause I like playing and exploring in this game a lot, please help!

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
After all the drama put this back on my radar I got back into playing a little bit after a couple years mostly away. I stopped mid way thru the Heart of Thorns stuff because I found those expansion zones a total chore to get thru and am immediately being reminded of that. So many areas are only accessible during/after completing public events and I'm playing solo and it really stinks. Had so much fun playing thru vanilla and got 100% map completion and a couple characters to level 80 it's too bad I started having such a bad time with the first xpac. Is the new expansion more fun in comparison or more like HoT? I see people riding around on mounts now and I imagine those are locked to it the way gliders were to HoT? Trying to find the fun against cause I like playing and exploring in this game a lot, please help!

PoF is more fun I'd say. Also IF you don't mind missing some of the story of HoT out, start PoF and you'll get a raptor with a nice long jump ability to take you through HoT (and will be unlocked on all characters after, even ones who haven't started PoF). And if you beat PoF, by the end, you'll have quite a few mounts with different abilities which will help break some of the HoT maps I'm sure (and will make it less of a chore to get around in).

Just some advice but it hinges on being okay with missing/catching up on the story from PoF onwards and going back to do HoT later.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
PoF is more fun I'd say. Also IF you don't mind missing some of the story of HoT out, start PoF and you'll get a raptor with a nice long jump ability to take you through HoT (and will be unlocked on all characters after, even ones who haven't started PoF). And if you beat PoF, by the end, you'll have quite a few mounts with different abilities which will help break some of the HoT maps I'm sure (and will make it less of a chore to get around in).

Just some advice but it hinges on being okay with missing/catching up on the story from PoF onwards and going back to do HoT later.
I don't follow along with the story (not a knock on the game, just the kind of player I am) so that doesn't bother me and from the PoF review I read the mounts in this game sound awesome compared to every other MMO where they are just interchangeable skins with the same functionality. Sounds like they really are substantial additions to the game, way more than even gliding was. I think I will pick up PoF soon and give them a spin

Otacon Link

Jun 6, 2018
I`m really glad on how Anet responded to what happened. Firing a employee that celebrates the death of a popular YouTuber and that publicly herasses a community partner is the right thing to do.

And he was not beeing sexist. If you consider a man talking to a woman politely as sexism you are disrespecting women who are real victims of sexism.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
I`m really glad on how Anet responded to what happened. Firing a employee that celebrates the death of a popular YouTuber and that publicly herasses a community partner is the right thing to do.

And he was not beeing sexist. If you consider a man talking to a woman politely as sexism you are disrespecting women who are real victims of sexism.
Just because someone died doesn't absolve them from being a bad person. I would not have celebrated but I am not going be like TB wasn't a Stan for GG.

In any case, rhis "outrage" was simply a continuation of what happened the moment she was hired, a lot of people already had an axe to grind with her. I remember reading a topic about it on the subreddit. Then you had all the shit elements, GG KotakuinAction fueling the flames.

In any case, the only person I have control over is me and I decided not to continue to support such a company, so I to quit the game. I would never have imagined this is why I would quit but as they say life goes on.

Otacon Link

Jun 6, 2018
Just because someone died doesn't absolve them from being a bad person. I would not have celebrated but I am not going be like TB wasn't a Stan for GG.

In any case, rhis "outrage" was simply a continuation of what happened the moment she was hired, a lot of people already had an axe to grind with her. I remember reading a topic about it on the subreddit. Then you had all the shit elements, GG KotakuinAction fueling the flames.

In any case, the only person I have control over is me and I decided not to continue to support such a company, so I to quit the game. I would never have imagined this is why I would quit but as they say life goes on.

What she did was wrong, and she got what she deserved.

If you want to be on the side of a herasser, it`s your choice.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
What she did was wrong, and she got what she deserved.

If you want to be on the side of a herasser, it`s your choice.
Whatever you say, slick.

I already made my choice, I wasn't asking for you to confirm what I explicitly said in my post above.

I was sharing what I did, since in life you have to realize a person can only control his or her own actions.

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
So how many of you were disappointed by the events on the new map...especially the fortress?

The story was good though but seemed like the map was really rushed and had many things cut.

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of sad they sort of went back on the mob design.

HoT mobs were a step above the base game in terms of design and difficulty and they kind of dialed that back in PoF.

I imagine due to complaints about difficulty.

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
I would take a guild invite if anyone is still handing them out. My name is balbanes.9384

I do have to say I miss the quest oriented aspect of the original Guild Wars. The world is beautiful in GW2, but it's hard to care about anything involving the heart quests. The random events are quite a bit better than the hearts, but even still I miss having an objective and going out on a mission to complete it. The lore and story seems like it takes quite a hit because of the absence of quests.
Missed this. Next time I'm on I'll send invite if you haven't gotten 1 yet?

Edit: Invite sent.

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Got back on track with the Beetle collection, and now just need to buy that one item with the new currency to finish it. Still haven't finish the story yet cause I wanted to get the beetle collection done heh.

So how many of you were disappointed by the events on the new map...especially the fortress?

The story was good though but seemed like the map was really rushed and had many things cut.

Map is eh. I liked exploring Sandswept Isles way more.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
The meta event for the map was definitely terrible. It feels like it was originally designed to be bigger with three lanes attacking Gandara. Instead you have 3 groups go to the cannons for an easy event and then zerg the fortress in a straight line. The event just goes by so fast.

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
Personally getting tired of deserts imho.
I thought there would be more savanna areas...but especially with huge mountains on the border of the map it looks very similar to dry top.

Got back on track with the Beetle collection, and now just need to buy that one item with the new currency to finish it. Still haven't finish the story yet cause I wanted to get the beetle collection done heh.

Map is eh. I liked exploring Sandswept Isles way more.
Alot more variety in characters and enviornment. Kinda tired of Inquest being on every map.

The meta event for the map was definitely terrible. It feels like it was originally designed to be bigger with three lanes attacking Gandara. Instead you have 3 groups go to the cannons for an easy event and then zerg the fortress in a straight line. The event just goes by so fast.
I feel like they still haven't figured out the perfect process to get everything they wanted out on the episodes and thier current solution to that seems to be "cut as much as needed to make it shipable on time".

I guess by September hopefully they turn it around with episode 4.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Personally we just need to go somewhere new. Personally I loved the 'world trip' you got with Season 3. Each zone was radically different from the next.

Though I personally wouldn't object to an Expansion of just snowy zones. Hell, Deepstone makes me want a lot more Dwarven architecture, shit looks amazing. I want a full zone that's like that section of Bitterfrost with the giant trees. That would be cool.

Would love to revisit a bunch of areas from Eye of the North. I want to walk to the Hall of Monuments.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Underwhelmed by this episode. The story and writing were good, but the map feels barren, the meta feels incomplete, the mount has no real purpose, and there are no long-term achievement goals, unique rewards, or interesting / rewarding repeatable content.

The meta event seems like it was intended to be a map-wide three-lane event that was heavily cut down due to time constraints. Collecting spare parts is not exciting, re-calibrating the cannons is just waiting around for waves of fodder enemies, the assault on the fortress is basically just a single 'boss' fight that doesn't seem to have any interesting mechanics and is over in the blink of an eye, and the rewards aren't exciting.

There's no real reason to go into the northern part of the map, there's nothing to do in the swamp, the entire section in the west with the lake can only be accessed through two points and doesn't really have any relevant content, there's no real reason to visit the part of the map with the corsairs after you finish their heart task, and all of the water in the east part of the map is essentially dead space as there are no events there and you don't even have to navigate it to get to the meta.

The beetle mount is cute and can be fun, but its use is extremely limited as the boost ability taking so long to charge on initial mount essentially restricts its use to when you happen to be at the top of a slope. The new map does not seem to be designed to make the most of the beetle, and I end up finding it much more convenient to just use my griffin or another mount. The ability to break through walls will likely never be utilized again due to access to the mount being limited to this episode. Even within this new map, when you have unlocked the points of interest locked behind them, there is no reason to ever break these walls ever again.

There's a general lack of rewards and as far as I can see there are no real long-term goals or interesting achievements to work towards. The one 'long-term' achievement has to do with Inquest turrets, which is barely a relevant mechanic and is completely uninteresting, with the first tier boiling down to killing several hundreds of Awakened Inquest for random blueprint drops. There's the banner, but the achievement for it doesn't require me to do anything that I haven't already done before.

I'm frustrated with the lack of rewards, the lack of progression after level 80 and attaining Ascended gear, and the refusal to utilize existing content in general.

It just seems all the interesting stuff (mount skins, armor and weapon skins) gets put in the Gem Store or locked behind Black Lion Chests, with occasional updates adding ridiculous time / gold sinks that are unattainable for regular players.

I'd love to collect more glyphs for my gathering tools, but you can only get them from gambling on Black Lion Chests or through purchasing new sets of unbreakable gathering tools through the Gem Store, they are basically useless if you don't have permanent gathering tools, and the one I would really like to have on all my tools currently goes for some 5000G on the trading post. I could get breakable variants from merchants, but that adds a lot of busywork, eats up resources over time, and devalues the unbreakable tools I currently have.

That Sunken Treasure Hunter thing they added is cool, but very heavily time-gated, with the higher infusions and the unique breather skin essentially locked behind a combination of a very high paywall and an insane time-sink, rendering them completely unattainable to anybody but whales and the wealthiest trading post barons - not to mention that this addition is very puzzling in the first place considering ArenaNet completely abandoned underwater content a long time ago and has not voiced any interest in returning to it anytime soon.

I'd love to collect that new Desert King weapon skin set, but they're locked behind Black Lion Tickets, which are in turn locked behind Black Lion Chests, which are locked behind Black Lion Chest Keys, which are essentially only available through the Gem Store.

I'd love to be able to work towards obtaining new mount skins ... but again, those are all Gem Store exclusive.

I'm currently working on getting Incinerator, but it doesn't really feel like I'm actively working towards anything - I'm just passively grinding the same content over and over again for generic rewards that incrementally build up to me eventually being to craft it.

I'd love to get some high-tier WvW armor skins, or that Legendary Backpack - but they are locked behind incredibly high WvW rank requirements that I will probably never reach even if I switch to full-time WvW for a year, and would generally eat into the resources I am currently building to be able to craft Incinerator.

The one other reward I really want is the Radiant Hauberk armor skin - but that is locked behind 30K achievement points, which I will never be able to reach unless ArenaNet significantly ups both the amount of achievements available and the points you get from them.

Yet somehow I still come back every time.

I don't know what it is.

Perhaps it is the community - though I am souring on that now too.

Yet somehow I still keep playing.

So I suppose they're doing something right ~