• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
months behind, but i finally unlocked the griffon.

now to see if i can still get the giant bag in sandswept isles...i heard that placed was dead.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I think more unique armors and weapons, are needed for many of the new and old maps. New Legendary creatures and long term metas are needed to sustain playability. And there needs to be a rollout across many maps at once. So people have specific goals to move towards.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really fond of grinding. I mostly play just to experience new stuff. Like doing the fractals. I did a couple of those last week and they were cool.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017

now to see if i can still get the giant bag in sandswept isles...i heard that placed was dead.

I got my beetle at the weekend. Took a while for a bounty group to pop up but the rest was fine.

Did anyone else find the stealth in the latest episode terrible? It wasn't clear when stealth would pop and when it did the stealth texture wasn't removed from my character. I actually had to watch for the status icon changing. Two things I hate in GW2. The obsession the devs have with jumping and this new thing they have with stealth. The implementation of both is pretty rubbish.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Mike O'Brien responds to the debacle of the fired employees. (his statement at 13:25).

It was the right move to fire Jessica for her aggressive and disingenuous lies and juvenile self persecution in anything. Sexism is a massive fucking problem, but the only one being a toxic sexist shithead in this debacle is you jessica. Any employee at any decent company would have been fired for a response like the one she gave to deroir. The fact that people are stanning for this is utterly pathetic.

As to if they should have been fired or have had some sort of social media training followed by an apology is something that's up for debate, but looking at these follow up comments by her, childish low key "me and my friends will never let you attend our bday" shit and attacking the overall community as she is unable to see it as anything other than a threatening whole, and her inability to see ANY wrong doing, but merely deflect, blame and pour gasoline on the fire is a major red flag.

She is not getting fired because she is outspoken about sexism in the industry or because it's a problem. She's getting fired for attacking a customer while inviting community members to discuss the product that she works on. People have been fired for a lot less. There is no defense or excuse against her behavior in this. And it's this exact type of bullshit that gives ammo to all those people who want to dismiss sexism in the workplace.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
I got my beetle at the weekend. Took a while for a bounty group to pop up but the rest was fine.

yea i got my beetle too, that was pretty simple. so i finally have all mounts available to players at any time!

i'll try sometime this weekend, but if sandswept isles is dead then it's dead, can't really do much about that.

Oct 25, 2017
My god were the threads here about Jessica a freaking nightmare.

I understand that some people are really sensitive towards how women are treated on social media, and that they're really afraid to have the Alt-Right or GamerGate have a win in their eyes. And to some extent you absolutely should be. But this wasn't the same kind of situation were saw with GamerGate and they only really got involved to mostly claim a victory after the fact once she had been fired.

But this situation, Deroir's comment and Jessica Price's response had nothing to do with GamerGate. They weren't involved. Just because there's always a crowd of people cheering whenever any woman or PoC has something bad happen to them doesn't mean we should judge the situation on the specific merits of the actual case.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
My god were the threads here about Jessica a freaking nightmare.

I understand that some people are really sensitive towards how women are treated on social media, and that they're really afraid to have the Alt-Right or GamerGate have a win in their eyes. And to some extent you absolutely should be. But this wasn't the same kind of situation were saw with GamerGate and they only really got involved to mostly claim a victory after the fact once she had been fired.

But this situation, Deroir's comment and Jessica Price's response had nothing to do with GamerGate. They weren't involved. Just because there's always a crowd of people cheering whenever any woman or PoC has something bad happen to them doesn't mean we should judge the situation on the specific merits of the actual case.
I hate to go after the media like this, because it's so often a tactic of dickheads on the internet, but the articles around this have been a dumpster fire too. They've completely made a victim narrative for Price, and the articles read very, very biased. I have no doubt she got some twitter bullshit sent her way after/during this whole situation, but the exchange that started it was nothing like that.

Honestly, I feel so bad for the Youtuber who got wrapped up in this. He's being labelled as a sexist at worst and "accidentally condescending to a woman" at best, just for an extremely polite disagreement.

But, hey, the drama got me interested in the game again. So I went and bought Path of Fire!

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to go after the media like this, because it's so often a tactic of dickheads on the internet, but the articles around this have been a dumpster fire too. They've completely made a victim narrative for Price, and the articles read very, very biased. I have no doubt she got some twitter bullshit sent her way after/during this whole situation, but the exchange that started it was nothing like that.

Honestly, I feel so bad for the Youtuber who got wrapped up in this. He's being labelled as a sexist at worst and "accidentally condescending to a woman" at best, just for an extremely polite disagreement.

But, hey, the drama got me interested in the game again. So I went and bought Path of Fire!
Like in some of the threads (And in this thread) people are calling Deroir a sexist, harasser, a nobody, a GamerGator when he's none of those things. Like I didn't want JP or PF fired, but they were in the wrong and we can be grownups and acknowledge that they were out of line and at the very least should probably have apologized and been reprimanded.

I get people are really freaked out about Gamer Gate and harassment campaigns, but this just wasn't that kind of situation.

Like no matter what you're doing on the internet, people are always going to give you their opinion on both what you're discussing and your opinion. Some, like Deroir will be nicer than others. And she got the most innocuous internet comment you will ever see and went from 0-100 over it.

I just listened to Mike O's response was appropriate. I hate to see them go and I would rather have seen a suspension and apology because I think the two were probably doing great work.

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, don't even bother.
A bunch of people who never cared about GW2 or ANET blindly supporting the juicer narrative...aka GamerGate got her fired.

Never really noticed all the bias that people used to complain about when it game to gaming journalists cuz never cares about those topics but when it came to this it was very clear that they don't care to report facts just thier wrong take on it.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty disturbing situation. Reading articles from outlets like Kotaku and Polygon, they either got so much wrong or their writing is heavily biased. Noticing this as someone who was following the event early on and saw things as they happened, it makes me wonder how wrong articles for events I haven't followed are.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't think Price reacted appropriately by immediately citing sexism to Deroir's good faith discussion (I also agree with Price's view over narrative design over Deroir's in GW2's specific case - I'm sure designers are sick of being suggested branching dialogue over and over), the immediate firing is too extreme and too fast. I certainly empathize with Price as she has been shown abuse over and over by the GG crowd, and from her shoes I can only imagine the difficulty of separating good faith and bad faith discussion.

The emboldening and harassment of the GG crowd is far worse than anything Price has said by orders of magnitude.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
While I don't think Price reacted appropriately by immediately citing sexism to Deroir's good faith discussion (I also agree with Price's view over narrative design over Deroir's in GW2's specific case - I'm sure designers are sick of being suggested branching dialogue over and over), the immediate firing is too extreme and too fast. I certainly empathize with Price as she has been shown abuse over and over by the GG crowd, and from her shoes I can only imagine the difficulty of separating good faith and bad faith discussion.

The emboldening and harassment of the GG crowd is far worse than anything Price has said by orders of magnitude.
The problem is, what do you do? Should developers never fire a woman at the risk of emboldening those types? If anything, I feel she's more to blame for that than ArenaNet, since it was her social media attack on a community member who was being polite and constructive. Maybe ANet firing her was extreme (though I can't say I agree), but she's still the one that put them in the position in which they had to make that choice.

I understand that women developers get a ton of flack on social media, and it sucks, but that doesn't absolve her behavior. She had the company in her Twitter bio, and was speaking on a public forum about video game writing challenges. That causes what she did to reflect back on the company, even though it was on her own time.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, what do you do? Should developers never fire a woman at the risk of emboldening those types? If anything, I feel she's more to blame for that than ArenaNet, since it was her social media attack on a community member who was being polite and constructive. Maybe ANet firing her was extreme (though I can't say I agree), but she's still the one that put them in the position in which they had to make that choice.

I understand that women developers get a ton of flack on social media, and it sucks, but that doesn't absolve her behavior. She had the company in her Twitter bio, and was speaking on a public forum about video game writing challenges. That causes what she did to reflect back on the company, even though it was on her own time.

It's still a person's livelihood, take reasonable steps. If this was her Strike 3 then that's a different story, but at least take the time to come up with a social media response policy and allow the opportunity to issue warnings / apologies first. If nothing else, take the time to issue a more reasonable and measured response for ANet employee morale as a whole.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It's still a person's livelihood, take reasonable steps. If this was her Strike 3 then that's a different story, but at least take the time to come up with a social media response policy and allow the opportunity to issue warnings / apologies first. If nothing else, take the time to issue a more reasonable and measured response for ANet employee morale as a whole.

That's a fair response, but I still would put more of the responsibility on her for forcing them into that choice in the first place. If she hadn't have attacked a known GW2 content creator and community who was being completely respectful and reasonable, none of this would have happened.

Oct 25, 2017

It's very clearly company policy to demand good behavior when engaging with fans on social media like the forums, reddit, or twitter. And her response to Deroir was entirely her responsibility. It's ridiculous to expect punishment for breaking company policy be suspended because some cretins on KIA are getting their jollies off on it.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
It's very clearly company policy to demand good behavior when engaging with fans on social media like the forums, reddit, or twitter. And her response to Deroir was entirely her responsibility. It's ridiculous to expect punishment for breaking company policy be suspended because some cretins on KIA are getting their jollies off on it.

mQg1VYi.png

I know it's biased but if they had issues with her behavior they had plenty of opportunities to say it before this incident.

Oct 25, 2017
mQg1VYi.png

I know it's biased but if they had issues with her behavior they had plenty of opportunities to say it before this incident.

When you say in an interview "I am outspoken about social justice." doesn't necessarily translate to "I'm going to insult fans for no good reason." Just because you've been getting away with bad behavior for a while doesn't mean you should always get away with bad behavior.

It's very clearly company policy to demand good behavior when engaging with fans on social media like the forums, reddit, or twitter. And her response to Deroir was entirely her responsibility. It's ridiculous to expect punishment for breaking company policy be suspended because some cretins on KIA are getting their jollies off on it or because no one noticed her insulting Jebro earlier.

I do want to reiterate that I don't think the two should have been fired. That was too extreme but it seems to be company policy and MikeO explained himself pretty well.

No one wanted this. Deroir didn't want things to go this way. I just wish everyone learned to Chill and Let Chill before it got to this point.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Well obviously someone high up in the company doesn't want it cause they're the only one that could have fired them. Maybe they could learn to Chill and Let Chill huh.

Oct 25, 2017
Well obviously someone high up in the company doesn't want it cause they're the only one that could have fired them. Maybe they could learn to Chill and Let Chill huh.

I do want to reiterate that I don't think the two should have been fired. That was too extreme but it seems to be company policy and MikeO explained himself pretty well.

Her and Peter getting fired over inappropriate behavior is a better outcome than absolutely no action taken and them being lauded by a lot of people for her lashing out at completely innocuous comments. It's a bit extreme but it's preferable to the opposite end of the spectrum of consequences.

Last edited:

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
If this is their company policy, then shame on myself for believing that Arenanet is a good company that actually cares for their employees. The fact that they had to rush to the office just to fire the two of them, rather than actually sitting down and talking over it, just makes them ignorant of the world around them.

Oct 25, 2017
If this is their company policy, then shame on myself for believing that Arenanet is a good company that actually cares for their employees. The fact that they had to rush to the office just to fire the two of them, rather than actually sitting down and talking over it, just makes them ignorant of the world around them.
If I lashed out at a customer at my job the way she did I would absolutely be immediately fired. Heck, I've been reprimanded not for saying anything wrong, but for my tone of voice while saying it wasn't friendly enough.

Even on this forum if I carried myself here the way she was I would have been permanently banned a long time ago.

Like I get that sometimes you just want to write an opinion and not hear any feedback. But it's the internet. You're always going to get feedback on anything and everything you post. Even on this forum I'll post an opinion and I'll get responses I'm not necessarily interested in. I don't lash out because someone has an opinion on what I've said. And I get brigaded on here pretty regularly for my opinions. I've been called "A fucking liar" and I've even had someone compare to to a pedophile here.

I don't lash out the way she did and most of the time I just walk away and don't respond.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree with you entirely. But I guess we're both not going to budge, so any further discussion is pointless.

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree entirely with you.
In what aspect? That I'd be fired if I verbally lashed out at a customer? Sorry but that's absolutely the case.

That I've been reprimanded for not saying something with a friendly enough tone in my voice? You can choose to not believe it, but that is a factual statement.

Or when I mentioned getting brigaded on and that time someone compared me to a pedophile here because of my stance on gun control? Also happened.

Let's flip the situation a bit. One of Antifa's most effective tactics is outing white supremacists and getting them fired from work or expelled from colleges. We saw a ton of these happen after Charlottsvile. They'll also report offensive online behavior such as racist, bigotted remarks made online to employers and get them fired.

And I think they should do that. They should be getting people like that removed from whatever positions they hold. Do you?

Now hate speech is an admittedly extreme example and what Jessica Price said wasn't even remotely in the same ballpark as hate speech. But the point is the same; There is breaking point where bad behavior outside of work can justifiable get you fired from your job.

Last edited:

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Look, I don't give a shit about what you faced. It's not about you. What I disagree with is that one, she was wrong at lashing out at a customer, and two, that she deserved to be fired because of this.

One, Price's reaction to Deroir was warranted given what and how he phrased his initial tweets. I've read it multiple times and I can't shake the whole condescending tone that was there from the beginning to the end. Given how she basically typed out a longass essay about her work, to have someone chime in with basically game design 101 is pretty much a slap on her face. She could have been more polite and just ignored him, but I don't fault her for losing her temper.

Two, why are you equating your job to hers? She is a narrative designer, not working the cash register at McDonald's or some other customer facing job. That she went out of her way to interact with the players was already out of her job scope. She has no training, no guidance to what her company policy is, and that's because no one told her what's the line. That she should be fired for this slip-up, rather than talked to or informed about what to do online, is just stupid. Firing is the nuclear option, and you do not do that without exploring other options first.

Also equating this issue with actual racists and nazis just makes your entire argument worse. This is not that. This is someone slipping up and showing emotions online.

And now I'm going to bed so if I don't reply to you don't think it's because I concede the argument.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Making inflammatory false equivalencies surrounding harassment, hostility, and a history of downplaying the influence and impact of harassment movements.
It would have been a major red flag hadn't they fired her. She misappropriated members of the community, citing whataboutisms with unrelated gamergate bullshit. She punched down and attacked him with a baseless accusation about sexism. It's pathetic to see posters here stanning for her bullshit.

It's fucking pathetic. You don't attack customers for engaging in a dialogue that you yourself created. You would get fired for that behaviour justifiable in most places.

One, Price's reaction to Deroir was warranted given what and how he phrased his initial tweets. I've read it multiple times and I can't shake the whole condescending tone that was there from the beginning to the end. Given how she basically typed out a longass essay about her work, to have someone chime in with basically game design 101 is pretty much a slap on her face. She could have been more polite and just ignored him, but I don't fault her for losing her temper.

There was no condescending tone. Stop defending harrasment FFS.

Fucking unreal to see this bullshit here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

On platforms like Reddit and Twitter, which are increasingly known for being havens for users to further bad faith arguments to further KIA and GG bullshit, I empathize with Price quite a bit for misreading Deroir's tweets as bad faith conversation as well. There's just so much bullshit out there. Honestly, at most I think she should have received a written warning. If I were her boss, I don't even think I would've gone even that far - I think just a verbal warning would've been appropriate for Price to be more careful about differentiating a good faith post vs a bad faith post (which isn't easy in 2018).

It floors me a bit just how many people truly think that it was justice for her to be immediately fired. I don't think that punishment fits the crime whatsoever, and it was especially concerning that the execution came so damned quickly before more level-headed thoughts on the matter could be mulled over. It's someone's livelihood. Accusing someone of being sexist when they brought up a point (even a wrong / misinformed one) is shitty, but at least give the opportunity to provide an apology or some time to determine if Deroir was being an asshat. It's 2018 and knowing how these platforms can be, I have a great deal of empathy for reacting the way Price did.

Deroir deserved an apology and perhaps a statement from Anet about how these kinds of interactions could be better managed in the future, but to go so far as to pull Price's entire livelihood from under her feet just feels like way too many steps too far.

Oct 25, 2017
On platforms like Reddit and Twitter, which are increasingly known for being havens for users to further bad faith arguments to further KIA and GG bullshit, I empathize with Price quite a bit for misreading Deroir's tweets as bad faith conversation as well. There's just so much bullshit out there. Honestly, at most I think she should have received a written warning. If I were her boss, I don't even think I would've gone even that far - I think just a verbal warning would've been appropriate for Price to be more careful about differentiating a good faith post vs a bad faith post (which isn't easy in 2018).

It floors me a bit just how many people truly think that it was justice for her to be immediately fired. I don't think that punishment fits the crime whatsoever, and it was especially concerning that the execution came so damned quickly before more level-headed thoughts on the matter could be mulled over. It's someone's livelihood. Accusing someone of being sexist when they brought up a point (even a wrong / misinformed one) is shitty, but at least give the opportunity to provide an apology or some time to determine if Deroir was being an asshat. It's 2018 and knowing how these platforms can be, I have a great deal of empathy for reacting the way Price did.

Deroir deserved an apology and perhaps a statement from Anet about how these kinds of interactions could be better managed in the future, but to go so far as to pull Price's entire livelihood from under her feet just feels like way too many steps too far.
I'm in agreement here. I don't want Price and Fries to be fired and wish they could return to the company like nothing happened. I think the correct action would have been to just have a sit down with them and say "Hey please don't call customers asshats to their face." But I'm really floored and aggravated by the people who are saying Price did nothing wrong, and calling Deroir a sexist and a potential rapist.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

Yeah, going for the back piece achievement was a bit annoying, because some of the maps were pretty much empty and some of the steps required doing the meta or difficult group events. I still managed to find a group big enough to do it, so it takes a bit of luck.

I'm still waiting to find a group to do the Draconis Mons meta for that place's back piece, though!

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
On a brighter note, looks like VO team is already our in Burbank with VA recording the dialog for E4. Usually within a month of recording the Episode is released.

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So I played back when it got released and would like to continue now (probably). The Path of Fire upgrade is 30 bucks with a max level boost. Is this really max level or up to the latest expansion or how does this work?

Also I have Mesmer and Elementalist at 80 but don't remember much about the game even though I played it for over a year. Does the expansion ease you in again? I just installed the vanilla game again and it's kinda overwhelming atm.

Last edited:

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
So I played back when it got released and would like to continue now (probably). The Path of Fire upgrade is 30 bucks with a max level boost. Is this really max level or up to the latest expansion or how does this work?

Also I have Mesmer and Elementalist at 80 but don't remember much about the game even though I played it for over a year. Does the expansion ease you in again? I just installed the vanilla game again and it's kinda overwhelming atm.

80 is still the max level and the maximal equipment level is unchanged (which means the expansions are roughly as difficult as the base game). The expansion(s) are basically continuations from the Living World storyline and throw you right back in (I don't remember if there was a story recap). The only really major changes are the mounts and new masteries, so the expansion won't barrage you with totally new stuff because it unlocks new mounts as the story progresses.

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
80 is still the max level and the maximal equipment level is unchanged (which means the expansions are roughly as difficult as the base game). The expansion(s) are basically continuations from the Living World storyline and throw you right back in (I don't remember if there was a story recap). The only really major changes are the mounts and new masteries, so the expansion won't barrage you with totally new stuff because it unlocks new mounts as the story progresses.
I totally forgot about the horizontal progression thing. Alright sounds good. For the price of 30 bucks I might get back into the game now.

How much of a healer is the Druid? I like playing healers so GW2 not having a holy trinity was a downside for me personally.
I read that they don't do dungeons anymore. So what do you do at max level except PvP? Are Fractals still a thing?

Edit: I thought PoF would include HoT but that isn't the case. And I noticed that both expansions were 50% off 2 months ago. I can't justify buying it for the normal price now. I'll wait for a sale.

Last edited:

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
How much of a healer is the Druid? I like playing healers so GW2 not having a holy trinity was a downside for me personally.

Druid is still a very strong healer and viable in all game modes. Raids tend to run with 1 or 2 I think (I don't do Raids), strong support in PvP, helpful in higher-level Fractals. Open world is a matter of taste, but early in the HoT expansion they fixed the event participation for support classes so you don't need to play a damage dealer to get full event participation bonus.

I read that they don't do dungeons anymore. So what do you do at max level except PvP? Are Fractals still a thing?
Fractals, PvP, Raids, Collections, Map events, world bosses, crafting Legendaries... There is a ton to do. A new map gets released with every Living World Release (~2-3 months).

Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot about the horizontal progression thing. Alright sounds good. For the price of 30 bucks I might get back into the game now.

Edit: I thought PoF would include HoT but that isn't the case. And I noticed that both expansions were 50% off 2 months ago. I can't justify buying it for the normal price now. I'll wait for a sale.
Druid is the premier healer of GW2 and welcome in every group that doesn't have at least one except in really low level nonthreatening content, in whichcase you have Soulbeast to fall back on which is a rock solid damage spec for comfortable soloing.

Last edited:

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
I hope ANET doesn't give up on expansions now that they want to do 2 living world seasons back to back.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird that despite playing for thousands of hours, I have spent so little on the game.

$60 (GW2 pre-purchase)
$50 (HoT pre-purchase)
$30 (PoF pre-purchase)
$10 (Gem Store)
$10 (second account)

That's it. I would have bought an expansion every year if they released yearly lol.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
You can get a free key and a novelty item BTW. Too bad you can't select the chair, so I went with the new GW2 balloon. D:

TehPwnerer

Oct 30, 2017
tSCG1tn.png

With the Mount Adoption License back in the Gem Store (4 days only) I was finally able to snag my Starbound Griffin. Man I made a good haul on 10 mount skins. Got a bunch of good ones.