• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
kotaku.com

NCSoft Confirms Guild Wars 3 Is In Development

Longtime Guild Wars 2 fans had a mixed reaction to the prospect of a third MMO

News of this comes from an NCSoft shareholder meeting (as reported by Korean outlet Inven and translated by Reddit user Sydius), in which the publisher's co-CEO Park Byung-moo casually name-dropped Guild Wars 3 while discussing the franchise. He confirmed the game is in development, but didn't offer any other information beyond that.

Curious to see what a third Guild Wars will look like in a few years and what it means for Guild Wars 2 support during the same timeframe

In pre-development review stage

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding, they make it seem like it's further along then it really is and that it hasn't even became development properly yet and still in the review state.

t3_1bpuegx

www.mmorpg.com

Guild Wars 3 Confirmed To Be In Development, Though It Seems It's Still In Its Early Stages - Updated | MMORPG.com

Guild Wars 3 came up in a recent shareholders meeting at NCSoft, with the company effectively announcing it's in development.

While NCSoft is clearly talking about Guild Wars 3 in their recent shareholders meeting, ArenaNet is shying away from the topic. In a statement to MMORPG.com following our request for comment this morning, ArenaNet said the following:

"As an active game studio we are always doing internal exploratory work for possible future titles we'd want to create, however we have nothing to confirm right now. The team's focus is on Guild Wars 2 development, including the game's next expansion, which we're excited to talk about soon."

We followed up to inquire whether we'd hear from NCSoft as well and will update this story should they respond.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Remember being so hyped for 2 and then I no longer had a PC by the time it came out and then I just stopped caring.

Had good times with Prophecies, Nightfall and Eye of the North.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
there's still time, I will begin writing all my "please go back to the gw1 class/skill system" letters and mail them daily

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
Kind of fell off after Heart of Thorns because of life reasons but this was literally the only game I played for months before college. I'm down to see what's up next.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Guild Wars 2 had some really neat ideas at a time when MMOs were kind of following the WoW style too closely. I fell off of it hard because of the constant currency changes and balance changes though.

I hope they go hard on an immersive world.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
stopmrdomino Could you update the OP with the info and potentially thread title update with info from my post?

www.resetera.com

Guild Wars 3 is in development (pre-development review stage)

From my understanding, they make it seem like it's further along then it really is and that it hasn't even became development properly yet and still in the review state...

I feel like a lot of folks are going to misunderstand where GW3 is right now. It's not even confirmed to even happen.

OP
OP
stopmrdomino

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
stopmrdomino Could you update the OP with the info and potentially thread title update with info from my post?

www.resetera.com

Guild Wars 3 is in development (pre-development review stage)

From my understanding, they make it seem like it's further along then it really is and that it hasn't even became development properly yet and still in the review state...

I feel like a lot of folks are going to misunderstand where GW3 is right now. It's not even confirmed to even happen.
Too late to update thread title but I'll thread mark with "in pre-development review stages"

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I could have sworn GW3 was in development before at one point, and then it got scrapped to re-focus on 2.

But i'm really happy they're working on 3. I could never get into 2 after ADORING GW1. I hope 3 can recapture me (and move away from the lack of trinity. Please.)

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
GW1 was a better game, they improved loads of stuff in GW2, but it didn't compensate for removing pretty much one of the best CCG's around from the game.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to hear this finally getting announced. I knew about them exploring the opportunity of creating a GW3 after the layoffs a couple of years ago (along with a cancellation of another project), but it's nice it got approval from the NC Execs.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Very early, but welcome. Gw2 is like 12 years old now, engine is a bit rough in places.

I love how gw2 did a lot of stuff new, but I think it didn't stick the landing in all areas.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they bring back the trinity. The PvE really suffers without it compared to WoW and FFXIV. Just feels like chaos and no teamwork to me.

World vs World was great though so I hope they expand on that.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Keep the artstyle, focus on dynamic events, personal story, hand/weapon combinations and especially jumping puzzles but bring it to current-gen standards.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
This will never happen but I wish GW3 is a game more like GW1 than GW2.

This would be the dream.

In fact, relaunch Guild Wars 1 with current graphics, proper controller support and start expanding from there. THAT would be my dream!

Probably it's going to be another WoW\GW2\etc

Feb 21, 2022
GW2 had one of the most insane hype cycles for a game I've seen. One of its most advertised and hyped up features, the lack of class trinity, ended up being one of its biggest problems. Group content was a complete mess without that trinity and just not fun. Granted it's been a long time since launch so I'm not sure how the game has evolved since then.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
GW2 was a total dud for me, all the talk for "play your way" when that way was always a DPS style character.

Remember playing a warrior for a while with a shout build for healing/buffing in the Mist and having fun only for it to get nerfed because "NOOO U HAVE TO PLAY DPS"

Hopefully GW3 will actually allow diverse play styles

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
GW2 was a total dud for me, all the talk for "play your way" when that way was always a DPS style character.

Remember playing a warrior for a while with a shout build for healing/buffing in the Mist and having fun only for it to get nerfed because "NOOO U HAVE TO PLAY DPS"

Hopefully GW3 will actually allow diverse play styles

That isn't really how GW2 is these days. Hard content in GW2 basically requires the soft trinity.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GW2 had a lot of innovations that were rightfully copied over the years. The latest WoW expansion practically owes its central mechanic to how Path of Fire approached mount design, and large scale open world events were done so well in GW2 from the start that I'm not sure any competition has been able to reach the level that the Tequatl encounter starting about 12 years ago.

The two worst parts of GW2 for me have been some of the monetization of features that I don't think should be monetized (Shared Inventory Slots, especially selling -one- slot for almost $10, is a bit much), and the game controls really being PC-only in a generation where competition like FFXIV has been able to be played wonderfully on console and controllers in general. Yeah you can hobble together a Steam control scheme for controller play but it's not very intuitive compared to what it could be if it were designed around controllers.

Also it doesn't get said enough but GW2's core combat mechanics are really great for the genre. The combo system and dodge system and level of movement is something you just don't see in most MMOs. Even FFXIV feels more mechanical by comparison in a lot of ways.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Will check it out.
I was a big fan of GW1 and bounced off of GW2 in its early days and never really gave it another look.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
GW2 is the only MMO I ever played. Didn't go that deep but I definitely enjoyed it.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Please forget everything you did in GW2 and start back at GW1.

GW2 by a long, long, mile has the best mounts & movement traversal in any MMORPG. Everything else I don't care terribly much about (it's either okay, serviceable, eh, or bleh) but mounts/gliding/the other mastery movement systems are like, the platinum standard for this genre.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly never thought this would happen but I'm so here for it holy shift. Please keep and reiterate on WvWvW. Legit some of the most fun I've had in an MMO was doing that in voice comms with big groups.

Dirigibleduck

Jul 27, 2023
I loved my time with GW1 and GW2, but I eventually fell off of both. Both were genre-defining (to me) in their own ways. Definitely interested in seeing what a third game would look like. I would hope more like GW1, but maybe they'll think of something totally novel?

Friendly reminder that GW1 is still up and running. Go recover your password and log in for some good old fun.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I didn't really understand how GW2 cause I was younger when it came out and on my first PC but I will keep up with this. It would be interesting to see a modern MMORPG, specifically.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I know it won't happen, but god I'd love if GW3 had more in common with GW1. Us GW1 fans are doomed to never have another game like it I'm afraid.

ArcticWolf

Nov 29, 2022
Absolutely adored Guild Wars 1 but I kind of flaked out after the Eye of the North Campaign which is a shame because it had a lot of dungeons that I never really got around to doing. Factions PvP is the multiplayer experience of the gods.

Guild Wars 2 I desperately wanted to like more but something just kind of didn't click in the same way WoW or even the original Everquest did as that was the 'target' 2 was trying to hit. I don't know something in the way zones worked & felt 'less interesting' like how most were just 'boxes' with POIs so contrary to all the criticism of classes/trinity/endgame the thing that always killed my interest in GW2 is that it somehow felt even more like a theme park MMO than WoW.

So I'm okay with GW3 being either but I admit I kind of want, y'know, "Guild Wars" in my Guild Wars game.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I went in extremely hard during vanilla launch, but quickly fell off when:
-Way, WAY too many skills seemed much cooler on paper than they were in practical use
-The rotations all eventually became the same
-Every boss was just endless zerging
-The zones and exploration between them were/was super rigid
-The extremely practically limited status effects severely hampered playstyle experimentation
-I seem to recall new gear being pointless in vanilla?
-The zones getting progressively uglier

It had a few good ideas, but just whiffed too many to keep me on. No idea how the expansions changed anything; I'm sure considerably but I just can't be bothered to care anew.