• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Last year, Guilikit announced that they were making drop in hall-effect joystick replacements for the joycons to eliminate drifting.

Those are available now on Amazon.

Product information

Spawn Wave over on his YouTube channel also mentioned that he ordered a set and will be replacing his sticks when they come in.

youtu.be

Nintendo's Big Game Leaks Online And The End of Joy-Con Drift Is Finally Here? | News Wave

Nintendo is gearing up to launch Fire Emblem this Friday but it looks like it's already leaked online with a surprising reveal found in the game files. Joy-C...

I ordered a set that should be here tomorrow and I can't wait to install them, as my right joycon has been drifting for months now.

Last edited:

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy, despite their conviction I doubted they could get the tech down to this size. I'm glad to be wrong. None of my joycons are drifting right now, but I might pick up a few of these and swap them just because.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Gulikit are the goat. Fixing manufacturer's fuckery one platform at a time.

Hopefully they can make replacement sticks for the dualsense edge.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up a set, my cons have drift and they seem simple enough to replace

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
I want to see how in/accurate the calibration is before diving in, since this has been an issue on many cheaper handhelds with hall effect sticks. Just a view at how motion around the circle looks in the Switch's stick test would be enough.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably picking up two pairs in the near future. I'm just too damn tired of replacing my nephew's drifting joycon.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Neat, I'll definitely order some when my replacements start drifting.

The actual process of swapping them was pretty easy other than almost losing one of the tiny tiny screws in the process. If I remember correctly the right joycon was a little easier as you don't have to unplug as much stuff to get at it.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Looks cool and I'm glad they exist. Watched the installation video and I don't think I'll be doing this myself, especially for the Switch lite. Lots of fiddly little flat film connectors I'd ruin for sure since I have shaky hands. I'd gladly pay someone else to do it if I ever need it done, though.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
That's crazy, despite their conviction I doubted they could get the tech down to this size. I'm glad to be wrong. None of my joycons are drifting right now, but I might pick up a few of these and swap them just because.
As far as I know, Vita is using hall-effect sticks, so it was definitely possible to have them in small size even a decade ago. Why Sony never used them again is anyone's question though.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
These will also work on damn near every emulation handheld in existence too since they all pretty much use Joycon sticks.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Question - do hall effect sticks have some other improvements for general usage that I don't know about? Or is it literally just "they don't drift"?

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's cool that they made these kits, but spending $50+ so I can manually fix something Nintendo fucked up is incredibly upsetting.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Question - do hall effect sticks have some other improvements for general usage that I don't know about? Or is it literally just "they don't drift"?

According to the web page they use less power than the original sticks so you might get an extra few seconds of battery life.

- Patented Low Power Technology provides only 50% power of original carbon film joystick for more power saving and longer gaming session .

- Highly precise response,no carbon film joystick jittering issue .

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Debating if I even want to do this yet though. I'm mainly using my 8bitdo Ultimate Controller and official Pro Controller. I have joycons but right now they aren't drifting, but if they do I will definitely be getting these. I've replaced a joycon stick before.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow that's badass. The replaceable analog stick caps look easy to swap in and out when everything is put back together.

OP
OP
linkboy

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
It's cool that they made these kits, but spending $50+ so I can manually fix something Nintendo fucked up is incredibly upsetting.

I get that. I only have the original joycons that came with my Switch, so I'm OK with spending $30 for just the two pack to avoid spending $75 to $80 on another set of joycons.

taco543

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
I just ordered 2 pairs, I'm tempted to also pick up a boxypixel aluminum joy con chassis since I'm gonna be opening 'em anyways

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Been wondering when these would come in--wasn't expecting them to be that expensive. I'll try to grab one with the next paycheck--hopefully they're still available.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Oh gosh this makes me feel uncomfortable:

ampqosB.jpeg

Is it reasonable that this makes me want to wait for a v2 revision?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
As far as I know, Vita is using hall-effect sticks, so it was definitely possible to have them in small size even a decade ago. Why Sony never used them again is anyone's question though.

Vita didn't use hall effect sticks iirc. You can see the teardown here. The mechanism is different to how the potentiometers work on the switch joysticks though (it's closer to a console style circular track), which might explain their better longevity.

View: https://youtu.be/_4HE4ftdC8w?t=336

and https://imgur.com/gallery/58bBc43 for instance.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Vita didn't use hall effect sticks iirc. You can see the teardown here. The mechanism is different to how the potentiometers work on the switch joysticks though (it's closer to a console style circular track), which might explain their better longevity.

View: https://youtu.be/_4HE4ftdC8w?t=336

and https://imgur.com/gallery/58bBc43 for instance.

Interesting. I have no idea what the hall effect stick parts look like tbh, and I don't remember where I've read that Vita used them. I think the one in the video is the newer model with the LCD screen - maybe it was a different stick in the original OLED Vita?
*edit* Yes, someone in the comments of the video you linked says so. Apparently the PSV1000 has hall effect sticks, but the video still helped repair something on it.

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh? Oh my god. This is such a relief. While I will still want some more comfortable split controllers for portable gaming, getting my messed up Joy Cons back to worry-free work with just 30 bucks and a bit of time seems worth it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017

The link confused me too, but that's linking to the 2 pack bundle. You can buy a single set for ~30. Not sure if that helps any

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a single pack. We'll see how these do. Then I will probably buy about 20 of them. A LOT of people around have drifting joycons.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I've ordered a pair but it will take a while until they arrive. Can't wait to be done with joycon drifting.

I wonder if they'll make replacement analogs for the pro controller too.I don't mind having to unsolder and resolder a new module. I've done it before with other controller but I don't know if that's feasible for them to make.

I'd love to have a controller with all the functionality but no drifting.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Oh gosh this makes me feel uncomfortable:

ampqosB.jpeg

Is it reasonable that this makes me want to wait for a v2 revision?

That's normal and happens with official joycons sticks. There's a thin circular piece of plastic that sits over that hole. Looks like it's been knocked out of place here and is off center. It's a pain to fit right.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Is there an equivalent for the Dualsense? Mine just started drifting and I can't find any similar products by googling.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Pricey. I'll continue to pin my hopes on the next Nintendo console having better sticks and backwards compatibility.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
30€ in Aliexpress, not bad but I already changed my joycons recently so I'm not in a hurry rn.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Mine just came in, will be so happy to get these installed. I babied the hell out of my joycons for fear of the dreaded drift.

St. Eam the 3rd

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 18, 2022
That's cool:)

My 3 sets of joycons(OG, OLED and mario party) have no drift yet but i was tempted to buy those and prevent drift to ever happen..But the price is a little steep for me, it's close to the price of the recently announced WYZARD's gamecube joy-cons so i'm a little unsure which to buy.

The only cons of the WYZARD's are shorter battery(?), no IR camera... Don't know

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Went ahead and bit the bullet--I wish I knew about the single packs though.

Anybody that has successfully installed, please let us know how it went, and if there's any notable difference.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
One of the joysticks on my controllers is squeaky for some reason, but thankfully I've never had drift issues.

Still a shame that Nintendo's build quality wasn't up to par this gen.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Are these sticks better compared to the stock sticks besides never drifting? Like the tension/smoothness, etc.

poisoneddart

Nov 26, 2021
So I installed a pair of these today, it was fiddly but pretty straightforward.

However I've noticed that both sticks are suffering an identical issue when pushing forward (or backward, on the right joycon) - where the reading on the calibration screen will lurch ahead an extra 10% every time the stick reaches a certain point, accompanied by a faint clicking sound. It doesn't feel like the sticks themselves are jumping, it's just like there is this blind spot on the chart that the dot refuses to sit inside.

I dunno, it's preferable to drift and maybe I don't need anything to be that precise on a joycon... but on the other hand, I can't help but give it the side eye whenever a character noticeably changes speed at the same time I hear that click.

Are these sticks better compared to the stock sticks besides never drifting? Like the tension/smoothness, etc.

It's hard to say for sure since my old sticks were quite worn down and loose, but I'd say these are a little stiffer and possibly noisier too. Not enough to be an issue, but I definitely wouldn't call them an improvement in that sense. The texture of the sticks themselves is less rubbery and the dome is flatter, which I kinda prefer, personally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
linkboy

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I just got mine installed and I decided to test them with Bioshock 2 since that's what I'm currently playing through.

The sticks are definitely tighter then the original joycon sticks, so it will take a bit to get used to that.

If you're having drift issues, I highly recommend getting these.

poisoneddart

Nov 26, 2021
Slight update, in a moment of madness I decided to completely open up the stick housing to diagnose the issues I described above. I discovered that the clicking sound was the small sliding piece that houses one of the magnets. It was catching on the arm of the stick, so instead of just sliding side to side it was being picked up and dropped - causing both the noise, and the accompanying "jump" on the output.

After shaving off some of the plastic around the lip I now have a perfectly silent, perfectly accurate stick. I'd suggest if your sticks are audibly clicking when you move them in a certain direction you should absolutely check the calibration screen for "blips" when it happens, you might have a defective unit.

So yeah, the tech is solid, but I'm really not happy with the manufacturing quality I experienced on both sticks out of the box...

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I've been impressed with my Gulikit controller. I might go in on a set of these and try replacing them in my Joycon. The swap doesn't look terribly complicated.