• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
As a really versatile amp for bedroom/apartment practice, I can definitely recommend the Katana. I personally got the 50W, which is more than enough, but if you care about ease of customization, I recommend going for the 100W which has 4 channels supporting footswitch and some of the dials (like presence) can only be tuned via PC on the 50W. That said, with a long USB Type-B cable plugged into a PC (if your amp sits far away), the software is really fast and easy to use, and I these days even use a tuner on PC rather than pedalboard. It's really hard to fault the amp, and outside of tube amps (which have their downsides), that would definitely be my go to pick for any amp. That said, I only could compare it against a similar Marshall, which to me didn't seem as versatible and didn't come up as well received on the internets.
Ok is definitely be looking into the 100 version then as my setup would be nowhere near my pc.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
Not to proclaim that my setup is the best or anything, but you don't have to get a modeling amp to get lots of effects for cheap. You could also just get a good basic amp with a great clean tone and add a multi effects pedal. I use the Zoom G1xon, and if you don't want the expression pedal you can save $20 and get the Zoom G1on. I don't use the expression pedal as much as I thought I would. Mostly I use it as a volume pedal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOSJ72M/?tag=era0f0-20

Oct 25, 2017
canada
HELP.

this is driving me fucking up the wall. I need a tone and dont know how to get it under 220$cdn.

I need to play that weird electronic sax sound. Marty Friedman has a saxophonist who does weird shit on Meat Hook that i also want. Heeeeeelp, ive looked at synths, flangers, etc and dont know what. Ive never been a pedal guy but i need this

The red witch synthotron is close but 1000

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
canada
The Roland GR-33, -20, or -55 has this sound exactly. Only problem is you need a special pickup either built in or attached to a guitar. The GR-33 pedal can be had for around $200-$250usd used.

The 33 i can maybe look into. It's the GR 300 sound i guess i want, the original being a guitar/pedal combo? How does the pickup work? How does any of this work lol

MilShap

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The 33 i can maybe look into. It's the GR 300 sound i guess i want, the original being a guitar/pedal combo? How does the pickup work? How does any of this work lol

Yeah that original pedal is a beast and has a special 24-pin cable that goes into the special guitar.

The pickup for the newer models is divided between every string, so each string gets its own pickup which helps the midi tracking. I have only ever added the pickup to one guitar and it wasn't especially difficult.

I currently own a Godin Multiac nylon string guitar that has that type of pickup/connector built in.

It's definitely a tall order for one sound, but I feel you, that sound is pretty great. I have used it to cover some video game tunes before.

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guitar guys, quick! What is the best kind of microphone / set-up to record me playing an electric guitar to my computer. It doesn't need to be studio quality or anything, but I'm looking for something more than the built in mic. Any thoughts?

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario
Guitar guys, quick! What is the best kind of microphone / set-up to record me playing an electric guitar to my computer. It doesn't need to be studio quality or anything, but I'm looking for something more than the built in mic. Any thoughts?

I know some people use the Rocksmith Cable to record on PC (you can buy it separately). It won't give you the best quality, but it's more than enough for amateur recordings. Then you can use Guitar Rig or something similar for FX.

Skitspel

Oct 29, 2017
I own a Fender acoustic guitar but I can't play. Always wanted to play guitar but somehow never got around to it. Got any tips on how to start? Like a Youtube tutorial or something?

Oct 27, 2017

Cheapest good option is a 100 dollar USB interface like the Scarlet Solo or M-Audio M Track 2x2. If you're fine with using amp emulation software that's all the hardware you'd need. However, if you want to record your live amp a simple SM57 will do the job.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
Cheapest good option is a 100 dollar USB interface like the Scarlet Solo or M-Audio M Track 2x2. If you're fine with using amp emulation software that's all the hardware you'd need. However, if you want to record your live amp a simple SM57 will do the job.
This would be the route I'd go with too. If you want to go a bit more budget oriented this is on sale.
https://www.adorama.com/beumc22.htm...t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

Torro

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Depends on what gear you have at the moment. You basically have the following options:
  1. You can plug your guitar directly into your PC through an external USB interface and use modeling software (Garageband or Logic Pro X on Macs, Bias FX, ...) to emulate an amp on your PC. A Focusrite Scarlet is a solid advice for an affordable USB interface.
  2. Your amp is a modelling amp with an integrated USB interface. In that case you can just connect it directly to your PC and record.
  3. Your amp has a line-out jack (with speaker cab emulation). In that case you can connect it to your PC via an external USB interface.
  4. You can mic your amp and connect the mic to your PC via an USB interface. A Shure SM57 dynamic mic is a solid advice.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Great OP! Complete beginner here. Got the cheap starter set for Rocksmith with the Epiphone Les Paul. I'm coming from no experience with music theory or other instrument knowledge, so I figure it's fine to start with.

I started learning with Rocksmith, and while it was helpful in just getting comfortable holding the guitar and starting to pick individual strings, I realized after a month or two it maybe wasn't the ideal way I wanted to learn. I felt like I was memorizing strings as colors (blue string instead of D string), and there wasn't really great feedback on trying to switch between chords, leading to some weird hand cramps as I tried to figure it out on my own. The goals which serve as a learning path seemed to be all over the place as well. Like one that directs you to complete some scales, but gives no direction on what a scale is or how to play them. I hope to revisit it when I have more experience to learn some of my favorite songs, but have moved to Justin Guitar for now.

Still trying to perfect the first three chords he teaches, but sadly in October I barely got to touch the guitar due to some unexpected work and life things that came up. Hoping to spend a lot more time in November, and by the end of the month my goal is to be able to comfortably switch between the three intro chords and hopefully be able to play a couple of the beginner songs he lists out. Watching the thread now and can't wait to learn more!

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Anyone got a DigiTech Synth Wah Envelope Filter?

Its low cost and sounds dece for funk.

Anyone able to get the magypsie sax sound out of it?

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Also, for beginners, the classic way to learn guitar is to just deep dive into the culture. Get the guitar world mags, read em, and learn the songs in the back of em.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ok is definitely be looking into the 100 version then as my setup would be nowhere near my pc.
Yeah, the price difference is surprisingly high between the 50W and 100W, but if you want those 4 different channels (which IMO can be pretty useful, as I currently run clean and quite heavily distorted metal sound, and having a 3rd one for more 80s metal would be great) and want to use the presence dial easily. Otherwise it's not necessarily worth it since everything else is the same and you can still do the first time setup hooked up to a PC (heads-up would be that it doesn't come with a USB-B cable though). Also, almost any footswitch works with it, I got a decent 2-channel switch for 5 euros, so you don't have to go for the potentially more expensive official Boss ones.

Not to proclaim that my setup is the best or anything, but you don't have to get a modeling amp to get lots of effects for cheap. You could also just get a good basic amp with a great clean tone and add a multi effects pedal. I use the Zoom G1xon, and if you don't want the expression pedal you can save $20 and get the Zoom G1on. I don't use the expression pedal as much as I thought I would. Mostly I use it as a volume pedal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOSJ72M/?tag=era0f0-20
This is also very true and in fact have been thinking about getting a multi efect pedal to complement the Katana. They can provide a lot easier access to multiple different tones and things like the expression pedal come very handy for some songs (been craving for Wah especially).

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Yeah, the price difference is surprisingly high between the 50W and 100W, but if you want those 4 different channels (which IMO can be pretty useful, as I currently run clean and quite heavily distorted metal sound, and having a 3rd one for more 80s metal would be great) and want to use the presence dial easily. Otherwise it's not necessarily worth it since everything else is the same and you can still do the first time setup hooked up to a PC (heads-up would be that it doesn't come with a USB-B cable though). Also, almost any footswitch works with it, I got a decent 2-channel switch for 5 euros, so you don't have to go for the potentially more expensive official Boss ones.

This is also very true and in fact have been thinking about getting a multi efect pedal to complement the Katana. They can provide a lot easier access to multiple different tones and things like the expression pedal come very handy for some songs (been craving for Wah especially).
While I'll likely be good with the onboard effects on the Katana, I will need a Wah which will be at least $120 cad for a basic Crybaby so the fact that any ol' footswitch will work on it for channel switching will be quite beneficial.

After listening to a bunch of clips on YouTube, I'm definitely will get either the Katana or the Blackstar ID 30TVP and will just need to bring my ESP in and see which sounds better to my ear. I'm heavily leaning towards the Katana though.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Anyone got a Electro Harmonix Synth9, Superego/or +, or any of the organ pedals? how do they sound to you

Edit: HOLY SHIT THE MEL9. Its got the magypsie sound!! yessssss

Last edited:

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a lefty. Are there any recommendations for a lefty acoustic for a beginner? ^_^
What's your budget?

For acoustics I'd recommend the Yamaha FG series or the Seagull S6.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CFOAQO8/?tag=era0f0-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MUKINM/?tag=era0f0-20

They're both solid top instruments from reputable brands that offer great bang for your buck. Your budget might be lower however seeing as you are a beginner, but I'd really recommend these.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So guys, Im thinking about swapping PU's (Gibson Les Paul). Anyone here who has experience with Fishman Fluence puckups? Thinking hard about buying the Will Adler set. That EU price though :/

OP
OP
Neo0mj

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Never came across that name. Any reason you're not going for the more well known brands?

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
I get why Gibson/Epiphone angles their headstock back. Why do they do it with their bodies too? It feels so weird coming off a strat or acoustic where they're level.

LPS14HYRC1-Side-Shot.jpg

SG14HCRC1-Side-Shot.jpg

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I get why Gibson/Epiphone angles their headstock back. Why do they do it with their bodies too? It feels so weird coming off a strat or acoustic where they're level.

It's because of the height of the Tune-o-matic bridge. It needs a proper break angle. Same with violins which have a high bridge.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I thought it might be an archtop thing but that didn't make sense why the SG was angled. When I was testing some guitars it really stuck out to me on the SG.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
tried to pull the trigger in a second hand vox apache, but someone was faster than me :( , now i want one

fddd232402f824c4f307804d7303fe5b.jpg

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, nice, a guitar thread! I'm what you might call a lapsed player - I played a lot until about ten years back, but suffered a nasty shoulder injury that healed badly and now I can't really extend my shoulder enough, so it hurts like hell when I play the guitar. As a result, I rarely play anymore, and when I do I get frustrated that I'm not as good as I used to be :( I'm down to two guitars now - an Epiphone Hummingbird and a Tele. Playing the electric is a lot less uncomfortable than the acoustic as I don't have to extend my shoulder as much, and Teles are the greatest guitar on earth imho :D That neck pickup is just amazing.
Scored a 2014 American Telecaster on craigslist for 600 back in August.

The bridge pick up with heavy distortion is honey--single coils for life.
Hell yeah, single coils all the way, my man!

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, even though I have a single coil guitar I wish I could have bought a humbucker equipped one, but it wasn't an option for me.
Why wasn't it an option? Also can't you just put a humbucker in it? Ideally there will be enough space but if not you could always get a single coil sized humbucker like this
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/little-59-strat-neck
It won't sound exactly the same but it'll get you a hell of a lot closer to what you're looking for.

OP
OP
Neo0mj

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I live in the middle east and so options are limited, especially for a lefty. The Squier Standard Stratocaster was the best (and practically only) thing I could find. I couple of years later I found an Ibanez but it was from a signature series and cost $2,000.00. Last year I found a Jackson Jr. but by then I'd prefer to put my money into a quality new guitar instead of just buying it because it was a humbucker.
And I don't you can't squeeze in a humbucker, without mutilating the guitar. Don't think any place here would do it for me. And single coil sized humbuckers aren't recommended, and to be frank since it was designed as a single coil I'd rather keep it that way, instead of turning it into a poor man's humbucker. I installed Bare Knuckle's Trilogy Suite to give it a hotter tone while at the same time not straying too far from the single coil sound.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
[...]The Squier Standard Stratocaster [...] And I don't you can't squeeze in a humbucker, without mutilating the guitar. Don't think any place here would do it for me. And single coil sized humbuckers aren't recommended, and to be frank since it was designed as a single coil I'd rather keep it that way, instead of turning it into a poor man's humbucker.

AFAIK, the current ones are routed for HSH. So you could pop a lot of standard humbuckers in there. Worth taking the pickguard off the next time you change the strings and seeing what's there (and measuring the depth).

Pair of humbuckers with a three-way blade would be great, or HSH with a bunch of different options for wiring depending on which sounds you actually wanted.

OP
OP
Neo0mj

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
AFAIK, the current ones are routed for HSH. So you could pop a lot of standard humbuckers in there. Worth taking the pickguard off the next time you change the strings and seeing what's there (and measuring the depth).

Pair of humbuckers with a three-way blade would be great, or HSH with a bunch of different options for wiring depending on which sounds you actually wanted.

How recent? Mine is around 7/8 years old.

Regardless, I'm kinda set on the decision that if I were to spend any more money on a guitar stuff it would only be for a totally new guitar.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Any acoustic steel string people playing fingerstyle around these parts? I'm a huge Tommy Emmanuel fan. Been digging deep into his material the last 5-6 years learning songs and tabbing some of his newer'ish songs.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Speaking of pickups does anyone here have experience modding them?

I've taken a set of PAF-style humbuckers apart and swapped the ceramic bars for AlNiCo 4 ones. Hardest part was removing the solder holding the covers on, but single coils will be different. In my case, I had pickups that had a low DC resistance (amount of wire) but I felt they were too hot.

Any acoustic steel string people playing fingerstyle around these parts?

I never play nylon-string and never use a pick on an acoustic guitar, so technically, yes. I don't play anything quite so fancy as Tommy Emmanuel. mostly blues and folk on the acoustic.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
Any acoustic steel string people playing fingerstyle around these parts? I'm a huge Tommy Emmanuel fan. Been digging deep into his material the last 5-6 years learning songs and tabbing some of his newer'ish songs.
I do but am still learning so doing very basic stuff. Right now I'm trying to learn this by heart in time for Christmas.
https://www.justinguitar.com/images/ST_100_ChristmasTabs/We Wish You A Merry Christmas v1 JustinGuitar.pdf
It's a mix of chords and single notes so it's throwing me off a bit.
I've taken a set of PAF-style humbuckers apart and swapped the ceramic bars for AlNiCo 4 ones. Hardest part was removing the solder holding the covers on, but single coils will be different. In my case, I had pickups that had a low DC resistance (amount of wire) but I felt they were too hot.
Yeah it seems simpler with humbuckers. I ended up putting the pickups that came with my Monoprice strat back in and have the hot ones as spares. I'm not sure how much of their strength is in the magnet and how much is the windings though so throwing in an Alnico 3 which is the weakest kind might make it very underpowered even by vintage standards.
I'll be going somewhat based off this tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqzoAbG7Nug

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
I'm not sure how much of their strength is in the magnet and how much is the windings though so throwing in an Alnico 3 which is the weakest kind might make it very underpowered even by vintage standards.

Do you have a multimeter? Measure the DC resistance. FWIW, Fender used AlNiCo 3 for some Strat pickups in 1954-55. Going lower output should help the clarity.

From the tutorial, that actually looks more straight forward than the humbucker, with the exception of finding an unloved iron; I would also use an actual workbench-mounted vice instead of vice grips to knock out the pole pieces.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a multimeter? Measure the DC resistance. FWIW, Fender used AlNiCo 3 for some Strat pickups in 1954-55. Going lower output should help the clarity.

From the tutorial, that actually looks more straight forward than the humbucker, with the exception of finding an unloved iron; I would also use an actual workbench-mounted vice instead of vice grips to knock out the pole pieces.
The DC resistance is a solid 9-10k. As I said though I don't know how much of that is from the thick bar of ceramic magnet or from being overwound. If it's wound normally and they just made it hot with the magnet I'm afraid the Alnico 3s might put it in the 2k-3k range. I might want to go with Alnico 2 to be on the safer side.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
The DC resistance is a solid 9-10k. As I said though I don't know how much of that is from the thick bar of ceramic magnet or from being overwound. If it's wound normally and they just made it hot with the magnet I'm afraid the Alnico 3s might put it in the 2k-3k range. I might want to go with Alnico 2 to be on the safer side.

None of it is from the magnets. DC resistance is proportional to the amount of wire (gauge and length) between the probes of the meter and does not change with what magnet (or any magnet) is in the pickup, so it will still be 9-10kΩ after the swap. Have seen warnings about overwinding AlNiCo 3, but I don't know what constitutes overwinding, nor do I know what the effect is.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks I didn't know that. I figured with ceramic being stronger than Alnico 3 it'd contriute to the number. Maybe I'll mod my vintage wound one instead. I like the clarity of the lower output but want the warmth and lower string pull of Alnico 2 or 3.

I ordered a set of the Alnico 2s. It'll come next week and I'll try modding my neck pickup and hope it gives me a more jazzy tone.