• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I found this Ibanez RG350DX for very cheap price (270-250 euros if I can haggle it down and the new one is over 600e where I live), but I'm still on the fence since I'm almost noob when it comes to electric. The guy obiously says it's in a great condition, but should I look for something specifically, are there some common things that can break down on a guitar? I'll probably go tomorrow to try it out.

The RG350DX is a decent guitar if you can get it for a good price. Even if you get a nicer guitar sometime later, the RG350DX still makes a great modding platform and you could easily turn it into a high performance machine. The only thing that may be frustrating for you as a beginner will be the Floyd Rose style tremolo system. Stringing it up and getting a nice setup will be tricky and more complicated than on a regular hardtail bridge guitar. You'll likely need someone to set it up for you if you've never used a floating tremolo before. But otherwise the RG350DX is a solid guitar, especially if you want to get into some shredding.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I ended up buying it for 250e and I really like it. Now I just have to adjust to longer neck and that I don't have to press as hard as on acoustic. But overall it's much easier and I like the fact that I can finally easily play something beyond 15th fret.

H4PfoDJ.jpg

And I finally get why people don't recommend floating tremolo for beginners, this thing is a pain tune. But the good thing is, once you tune it, it holds the tune really well even after a lot of tremolo abuse.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guitar center is having 36 no interest on used gear. I shouldn't have gone browsing. I absolutely cannot spend money right now, but they have a PRS SC58 I would fucking kill for at a pretty damn good price.

Wife and I have agreed no spending extra cash until March while we pay off some debt we have carried for stupidly long for as much money as we make these days. Started a couple of months ago and have been doing awesome. I am feeling real weak right now, though...

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused by the new Fender Players models. Are they just slightly revised Mexican versions?

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Get a joyo Mimi tuner, cost like 3 Euros in AliExpress and work fine.

For just regular guitar tuning, get a cheap clip-on headstock tuner. It's way less hassle than juggling your phone.

The only tuning apps I bother with are decent strobe tuner apps (PitchLab Pro; Strobe Tuner Pro). And only because the accuracy is useful when you're adjusting your guitar's intonation, and proper strobe tuners are a bit pricey.

Learn to do it right. After you've done that, then you can choose to do it wrong.

You're still at the "my hands are useless slabs of meat" stage of the learning process. It's not yet time to be clever.

Work hard, not smart.

I ended up buying a slightly more expensive Fendet FCT-2 tuner because that's the one that was available near me. Seems decent enough.

I took your advice for the chords and I feel like I'm progressing (following justinguitar beginner guide), but man that A chord feels impossible at times lol
I can do the other starting chords from his guide decently enough, gotta practice chord switching and nail that A chord
I ended up buying it for 250e and I really like it. Now I just have to adjust to longer neck and that I don't have to press as hard as on acoustic. But overall it's much easier and I like the fact that I can finally easily play something beyond 15th fret.

H4PfoDJ.jpg

And I finally get why people don't recommend floating tremolo for beginners, this thing is a pain tune. But the good thing is, once you tune it, it holds the tune really well even after a lot of tremolo abuse.

That's one good looking guitar, congrats

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I took your advice for the chords and I feel like I'm progressing (following justinguitar beginner guide), but man that A chord feels impossible at times lol
I can do the other starting chords from his guide decently enough, gotta practice chord switching and nail that A chord

That's one good looking guitar, congrats

I know he said it's easier to switch from A to E or D using his 312 shape, but I think the traditional 321 shape is better in the long run. You'll have to raise all fingers for other chords anyway, better start with that from the beginning

And thanks.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
Hi Guys -

I am moving out of state and need to sell off some stuff to declutter my life a little bit. Wanted to see if there's any interest in purchasing the following items, actual photos of mine will follow but for now I will provide links to the item or just describe it. I am in Los Angeles so anything can be viewed purchased in person as well. And of course I am open to reasonable offers:

2009 Fender Road Worn Strat - https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Fender_Road_Worn_Series_60s_Stratocaster_Guitar_Review (i would say any Fender prior to the CITES rosewood clamp down is probably more desirable since they've switched to Pau Ferro fretboards) Comes with Fender gig bag but possibly no trem arm. I am selling for $600 shipped. It's in excellent like new condition. Obviously this series has factory "relicing" but it's done really tastefully I must say.

Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M13--line-6-m13-stompbox-modeler-pedal (mine is in barely used condition. doesn't come with original box or manual. Will sell $200 shipped.

Cort MBC-1 Matt Bellamy (from MUSE) signature guitar - http://www.cortguitars.com/uk/produ...ProdTag=&qPack=&qNew=&qKey=all&qWord=&idx=612 (selling a Matt Black one, it's in lightly used condition. These are pretty damn good guitars I must say, I have two (red one) so want to sell off one. Doesn't come with case or gig bag, but will delicately ship) Selling for $500 shipped.

ESP LTD James Hetfield Truckster - https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/E...HkYRhAwehKKBxNSp7Gw-SKHibbJtVhrxoC7tAQAvD_BwE (mine is the original release grey version like this one. Comes with ESP hardshell case (they didn't even come with a gig bag back in 2005 when I bought it. It's in great hardly used condition. Will sell for $550 shipped.

Line 6 Spider Valve 100 Watt Head - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-valve-mkii-hd100-100-watt-modeling-tube-head (shipping this could be costly, but lets call it $275 shipped. In working order when put into storage, will obviously test and confirm, but the fact this is an amp head, i understand any hesitation.

Wasburn Acoustic - https://www.amazon.com/Washburn-Festival-Flamed-Acoustic-Electric/dp/B008FZDO7S (pretty sure this is my model, this one is being stored but am 90% sure, comes with hardshell case. Guitar is in good condition but hasn't been touched in many years, strings are likely dead and rusty while guitar is probably a little dusty, it and any item sold will be carefully cleaned) $100 shipped.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have recommendations for electric guitars in the $400-500 range (guitar only, no amp or other gear)? I've been borrowing a cheapie from a friend while I learn but I'd like to try something a little better and I've been getting some extra cash recently. Also, if something is better bang for my buck at a cheaper or slightly more expensive price point, I'd be open to that as well.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have recommendations for electric guitars in the $400-500 range (guitar only, no amp or other gear)? I've been borrowing a cheapie from a friend while I learn but I'd like to try something a little better and I've been getting some extra cash recently. Also, if something is better bang for my buck at a cheaper or slightly more expensive price point, I'd be open to that as well.
Guitar Center currently has a bunch of Mexican Fenders on sale for $500, which is kind of a hard value to beat.
Epiphone Les Paul Standards are $500 (give or take, depending on trim level), if that's your thing.
If you want something ridiculously light and thin, there's the Ibanez S521 at $400.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Wow! The Legendary Dragon Tele! Want! Teles aren't really my thing, but the Dragon though!

GA8Tev8.png

7kXotk7.jpg
It's beautiful, eh?

Telecasters are, like, objectively one of the best guitars.
Telecasters are my personal favourite type of guitar.

I adore them.

I recommend Harley Benton by Thomann.

Fantastic guitars and I use the below guitar over my actual Fender most of the time:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_90qm_trans_red.htm

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here have any recommendations for a budget amp that can give a good rock/metal sound? I'm playing on a Jackson RR3 and I think my shitty jumpstarter amp that I've been using has kicked the bucket. I'll spend more on an amp when I have a job, but for now I need a budget amp to fill the gap.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here have any recommendations for a budget amp that can give a good rock/metal sound? I'm playing on a Jackson RR3 and I think my shitty jumpstarter amp that I've been using has kicked the bucket. I'll spend more on an amp when I have a job, but for now I need a budget amp to fill the gap.

Boss Katanas are nice, Blackstar is another brand I would recommend.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018

i'll sell ya one of these lightly used for $500 shipped

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
"Budget" can have many meanings...

If I were looking at, say, ~$200, I'd probably look at a Boss Katana or maybe an Orange Crush combo. The Katana is the best bang-for-the-buck modeller in the price bracket. Oranges, on the other hand, are simpler units with their own distinct character.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I've just picked up guitar for the first time ever.

Now to preface I mainly played keyboard / piano, however I have no concept of musical theory or being able to read sheet music. My piano stuff was mainly easy to learn stuff by simply playing entirely by ear.

That being said I guess that would make me a total amatuer beginner even with piano. I want to take guitar much more seriously. Despite that I did do some audio editing stuff using software like Cakewalk and FL Studio mainly using the presets and reverse engineering existing songs and creating stuff on an IT Tracker / Modplug Tracker. I wouldn't call this music creation though.

I've signed up with Justinguitar.com and grabbed Rocksmith on Steam. I also downloaded Yousician for the free trial. So far I think Yousician is better than Rocksmith on the basis that it teaches you the literal basics with the entry level fretting and fingerpicking and where to properly position your hands. I guess Rocksmith would help me learn a song with the Riff Repeater thing but for now I need to know the basics.

As for my newbie equipment. I picked up a Epiphone Les Paul Special II and a Fender Mustang I v2. I probably don't need the amp yet but it allows me to jam outside my computer (There is also the fact the interesting presets and included software appeal to me for future music creation endeavours)

So far. I barely know how to do a D Chord with terrible finger placement muting out the E string, but that is something I'll need to work on to get right.

I want to try to put at least an hour into it a day. I want to get to the point I can master a song without needing to look at finger position on the fretboard, but I guess that is a long while away.

Last edited:

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a Jasmine S-34c just to get back into playing. It's been about 7 months since I've played and before that I had picked it back up after years of giving up. I always get frustrated with it because I feel so utterly untalented at it. I feel like I'm an intermediate player, but my play seems like it's always choppy and stilted.

With all that shit said, is this a decent practice routine?

-Learn and master a song a week.
-Work on chord changes, including barre chords.
-Practice scales.
-Familiarize notes on fretboard.

I feel so stupid trying to understand keys and roots, so I'm going to work on understanding them more.

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This is a cheapo Pacifica I bought a couple months back and switched out the pickups to some Iron Gears and replaced the bridge. Came out sounding okay I think considering how cheap the whole experiment was. What do you guys reckon?

edit: video unavailable for some reason for me? Here's the link anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFBRI8sjTJw

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? Get a cheap interface and buy Neural DSP's "Fortin: the nameless suite" plug in. Its really good. Better metal tone then any sub 1000$ amp will give you. You can easily record it, use headphones yada yada.

It made me stop using my VH-4 for recording purposes. I really love it.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I need some guitar advice. I've been "playing" on and off for most of my life, but I'm self taught and I've never really taught myself theory, or what notes I'm playing, or what shapes are what chords and how they fit together, etc. I have the dexterity to play a lot of fairly simple songs, but I just need to learn some music theory so I can actually understand what I'm doing and what I want to do instead of just kind of putzing around until I figure it out. It'd also help me play with other people too. Does anyone know of any good resources for someone like me who can already play at an intermediate level but has basically no music theory knowledge?

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I got kind of bored buying traditional guitars so I decided to go with something different. I ordered this - the Tregan Syren. Yes, it's pretty damn ugly, but I like it. I wanted to get something that makes people go WTF?! when I walk out on stage with it.

Pqzsakc.png

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

Definitely BC Rich-like for sure. I'm not sure who Tregan Guitars are. They're in PA but make their guitars at the World Musical Instrument Co factory in Korea, same place where BC Rich, Schecter, LTD and PRS SE models are made. They only have 2 guitar models - Syren and Shaman - but have a bunch of finish options.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Still playing rocksmith, still learning bass. Working on getting more tone control outta my plucking hand. Starting to study chords and theory so I'll remember based on what a song is played in where to run to add fills like if their is a 5th or something I could swing over to and liven up an area. Still ass but cleaning up nice. Playing an ibanez sr300E. Got it because its a decent affordable bass and good for learning on with a nice mahogany body for sustain. Nothing too fancy. Bout as vanilla a beginner as you get here, but it keeps me sane and gives me something to calm down with between my career and art demands.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fender Deluxe 1x12 is a great amp, especially if you gig a lot in clubs because it has a bright tone and is way louder than it has any business being, but I have always found the spring reverb to be far too aggressive for my tastes. I've come to realize I need to add a digital reverb pedal to my board. Anybody have experience with TC Electronics' Hall of Fame mini?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just browsing Reverb and saw a nice looking PRS for a pretty good price.

"Only" $2,100. Then I read the description, dude sanded down the neck. Maaaan. The idea of buying a $3k guitar, then doing something like that is just crazy. You better be real sure you want to keep that thing forever, because I can't imagine how much you just destroyed the resale value. Now I'm curious to watch it and see how cheap it gets.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Just browsing Reverb and saw a nice looking PRS for a pretty good price.

"Only" $2,100. Then I read the description, dude sanded down the neck. Maaaan. The idea of buying a $3k guitar, then doing something like that is just crazy. You better be real sure you want to keep that thing forever, because I can't imagine how much you just destroyed the resale value. Now I'm curious to watch it and see how cheap it gets.

It's weird but sanding the back of the neck seems to be a thing with PRS owners from what I see in the PRS Facebook groups and forums. I can kind of understand. I used to have '92 PRS Custom 24 Ten Top and the gloss on the back of the neck was laid on thick. I just couldn't gel with it so I sold it a couple of years ago.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, that smooth ass finish on the neck is like my favorite thing about PRSs. I had an S2 Standard Satin that I put some Phat Cats in for a bit. I loved the way it sounded, by I just couldn't get use to the wood grain feeling. Gonna get another eventually with their normal finish and do the phat cats again.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm thinking of switching my old Les Paul Studio pickups back to the stock pickups after fifteen years. I currently have the EMG8l/85 combo, which I bought to highlight that mid-neck super warm spot on the Les Paul. However, I think active pickups are just a bit too compressed for my tastes. The electronics inside are a mess, too. The guitar was stolen for 6 years and when I finally found it by chance in a pawn shop and forced them to give it back to me, the poor thing had been put through the ringer.

Glad I got it back. Apparently it's a fairly coveted finish that was only made for one year. It's this one:

coppertop-albums-les-paul-studio-metallic-copper-picture45923-les-paul-coppertop.jpg

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Okay so I'm 33 and I used to have a guitar back in high school but I really got no where with it and it eventually got stolen. I now decided that I want to get good at the guitar. Please help me with starting out.

1. What is a good guitar to get, under 1000 dollars. When I eventually get good I see myself playing mostly rock songs.

2. Training aids, I have a PS4 and an Astro a50 wireless set up that's connected to PS4 by way of optical cable. Will that be lag free enough. If someone has a similar setup please let me know what I have to do. I know the Astro base station has an optical in and out.

3. Should I get lessons too

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I'm 33 and I used to have a guitar back in high school but I really got no where with it and it eventually got stolen. I now decided that I want to get good at the guitar. Please help me with starting out.

1. What is a good guitar to get, under 1000 dollars. When I eventually get good I see myself playing mostly rock songs.

2. Training aids, I have a PS4 and an Astro a50 wireless set up that's connected to PS4 by way of optical cable. Will that be lag free enough. If someone has a similar setup please let me know what I have to do. I know the Astro base station has an optical in and out.

3. Should I get lessons too

1. Honestly, any humbucker guitar will give you what you want. For that money, you can get virtually any design you want. In fact, you could get genuine American-made guitars that if you take just normal care of them (hell, as long as you aren't like defiantly negligent with them) they'll outlast you. And I usually roll my eyes at what a joke the concept of 'Made in America" has come to mean when it comes to craftsmanship, but when it comes to electric guitars, it's actually true in my experience. What style of guitar do you think you'd like? We can work from there.

2. I have no idea how to train. I still do old exercises like it's 1950.

3. If you have the time and the money, I HIGHLY recommend lessons. Most guitar teachers will be thrilled to have a smart, mature student like you who they can really get a good response from. And you'll get a lot more out of it at your age than a 14 year old would.

BTW, let's try to get this thread rolling. All my friends don't play music and I'm dying to talk about guitar stuff like:
1ug1ty.jpg

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
How about the epiphone les Paul tribute? Looks like the 2018 model has some good reviews

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
How about the epiphone les Paul tribute? Looks like the 2018 model has some good reviews

Can't go wrong with an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute. It has Gibson 57 Classics humbuckers. It's pretty much the closest you can get to a genuine Gibson Les Paul without paying a Gibson price. Last summer I saw someone local selling a Epi Les Paul Tribute with hardcase for $200 on Facebook Marketplace. By the time I contacted the person it was sold. Didn't even last an hour. It's the one that got away.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ah, that's a great guitar. And they certainly look beautiful. So, something to consider: you are getting into a price range that is starting to touch cheaper Gibson models. For example, you could get a Gibson Les Paul Faded for the same amount. The question then becomes: "is the best Epiphone better than the worst Gibson?" This video might give you some insight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsL6X8uG9-U

Ultimately, it's up to what you are looking for.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Yeah I'm sorry I meant the Gibson les Paul tribute 2018. They have a honey burst new for 978 at my local guitar center

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Although I do love the red sunburst color on the epiphone tribute or reg sunburst over the honey version on the Gibson

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I need some guitar advice. I've been "playing" on and off for most of my life, but I'm self taught and I've never really taught myself theory, or what notes I'm playing, or what shapes are what chords and how they fit together, etc. I have the dexterity to play a lot of fairly simple songs, but I just need to learn some music theory so I can actually understand what I'm doing and what I want to do instead of just kind of putzing around until I figure it out. It'd also help me play with other people too. Does anyone know of any good resources for someone like me who can already play at an intermediate level but has basically no music theory knowledge?
Anyone?