• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to give a quick update to my latest project. You were right CD, that was piss easy. I thought of a solution to the dirty iron problem and it worked. Put a piece of parchment paper between the magnet and the iron. It's what you do with perler beads. It took a lot longer than 45 seconds to get the glue hot enough and I had to use more force than I imagined, but after that was done the rest was super simple.

img_20171109_11345529aeuev.jpg

I ended up using my hot pickup which came from this set:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Overwound-Strat-Set-Reverse-Wound-White-BLOWOUT_p_577.html
I read that some strat pickups have the wires resting directly on the pole pieces which made me nervous to use the set I like. This set turns out have the pole pieces surrounded by plastic.

I'll see how this sounds. If I don't like it I could do it all over again with the other set.

Now when the Alnico 2s arrive I just have to pop them in.

Edit: Measured the pickup's resistance with the magnet off. I got 8.53kΩ (@ 72.0F) so slightly below spec for a hot neck. I'm trying to find any information on the difference in magnetic strength between Alnico 2 and Ceramic. The alnico 2 in this might lower its total output to put it close to my bridge and middle at 5.3ish kΩ with big ceramic magnets on them.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Has anyone here played an ESP stream guitar? I like the look of them, but I've never seen one in a shop. I have seen the bass version but haven't played it. I kinda want one, but the cheapest version is the $1800 E-II version. I mean I wouldn't mind paying that if I liked it, but I find it hard to put down that much money without ever holding one.

Since this is my first post in this thread, I figure might as well post a picture of the collection. The Epiphone Explorer is going to be sold soon I think. And sadly I don't often play the strat I put together. The gibson explorer and the ltd get most of the use.
zCQbZlN.jpg

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Adding thread to my watch list. I have a guitar but have never been able to stick with practicing. Need to just carve a dedicated half an hour out per day.

I've got a PRS SE Standard

gdcr0vcsw3ppdc087dlm.jpg

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Got a new pedal - Keeley Caverns v2 (Delay/Reverb). All the algorithms are great and I've been using it both for a normal spring reverb and crazy ambient stuff. Always wanted a Keeley pedal but I already have enough compressors... then I saw the price on this and had to snag it.

caverns_v2izst2.jpg

turbobrick Servbot24
Nice guitars! I really need to get a set-neck guitar at some point...

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Recently starting to get back into guitar after having not played for the best part of a decade (even then I only played for 2 or 3 years).

It's fun to see a thread like this.

Although last night I became semi paranoid that I have been holding my pick the "wrong" way all these years. I don't really hold it in a particularly odd or unique way (i think lol) but then I see some guitarists live and they seem to hold it differently. I don't really get cramps after playing for an hour or two though, so it can't be that bad. It feels comfortable and natural to me, I don't have to hold it in an artificial way.

I have one guitar with a Floyd Rose that I kinda want to block because it was one of those things were over time I realized...either my picking hand is not delicate enough, or I just hate those sorts of things in general. When I was starting out some solos etc obviously made me want to learn guitar but I preferred the idea of rhythm over lead.

MilShap

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Although last night I became semi paranoid that I have been holding my pick the "wrong" way all these years.

Players hold their picks all sorts of different ways. Some incredible players have some really crazy pick "grips." Could you be a little more specific how you are holding it? If you are not feeling fatigue or strain then you are definitely doing something right already,

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Players hold their picks all sorts of different ways. Some incredible players have some really crazy pick "grips." Could you be a little more specific how you are holding it? If you are not feeling fatigue or strain then you are definitely doing something right already,

Hmm, might try and take a picture at some point.

I guess I see some players hold their hands in a very neat and fairly compact way and its not like my fingers are all over the place, but my middle finger and ring finger tend to stick out a bit more. I think once I play with a metronome and get back into guitar properly I'll have more of an idea of whether its rustiness or bad practice completely, because I don't mind changing and building speed/accuracy etc up with a new style.

As you said though, if I'm not feeling fatigue or strain it's ok at the moment.

MilShap

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Hmm, might try and take a picture at some point.

I think the standard you see most of the time would be Thumb and Index finger gripping the pick, almost like getting ready to snap your fingers. The remaining fingers can be pulled in like a fist or extended out, as long as they are not actively getting in the way.

I have seen players and gen had some students who like to grip the pick with 3 fingers, including the middle finger in the above example. Personally I don't do this, but there is no reason to discourage it either, it definitely always come back to comfort and fatigue.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
I think the standard you see most of the time would be Thumb and Index finger gripping the pick, almost like getting ready to snap your fingers. The remaining fingers can be pulled in like a fist or extended out, as long as they are not actively getting in the way.

I have seen players and gen had some students who like to grip the pick with 3 fingers, including the middle finger in the above example. Personally I don't do this, but there is no reason to discourage it either, it definitely always come back to comfort and fatigue.

Yeah, extended out is how I would describe mine. I just see the pulled in style players and...to me if i play that way I can still hit the right notes but it feels so alien and weird. It's all just a case of me sweating the small stuff after having been away from guitar for so long I think. I tended to follow the maxim of play what you like to hear (in terms of learning songs etc) so while I have a lot of theory and technique to brush up on (I was never very good, i just enjoyed it), I've become more conscious of things in the last few years so I'm probably over analyzing things.

I've been trying to transcribe stuff by ear recently, which has had mixed results tbh, but it's fun to try. If that fails I just look for a tab or use a GuitarPro tab and try things out. Although it might sound wrong one technique i was always bad at was sweep picking and I'd like to try and practice that. It's not really that I'm dying to sweep pick up and down the neck, but I think it'd be good practice and would be something else I could do.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
The Alnico 2 Magnets came. I installed them in the hot neck pickup and did a sound comparison.
https://soundcloud.com/zachary-barron-903233151/sets/ceramic-vs-alnico-2
I'd like to hear other people's thoughts. If you can tell the difference, what the difference is, and if you prefer one.

I just used the Rocksmith USB cable straight to Audacity with no editing. I used the same pick and tried strumming at the same strength and speed. This isn't colored by an amp. I wanted it as pure as possible, but I'm not sure if details were lost by using the Rocksmith cable.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
zbarron electric guitars don't sound good without an amplifier (or reasonable stand in) so they both sound bad. I'd put them through an amp sim but I am away from my Mac and I can't figure out how to download tracks on my iPhone.

The Rocksmith cable is a perfectly sufficient audio interface.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
Could I use the MP3s I already have? I can use the cabsim built into my orange amp to give a demo of the A2, but I really don't want to put in the ceramics again, and then switch it back to the A2s just for a demo.

I can tell a difference with the raw outputs and when I play it live into an amp. The A2s sound slightly warmer and gentler, while the ceramics have a harsher sound and stronger attack.

I could always just do this whole thing over if/when I get more magnets and switch out the middle and bridge pickups.

Edit: I did the Alnico 2 ones over with my guitar plugged into my Orange Crush 20RT and then the Rocksmith cable using it's Cabsim through the output straight into the PC.
https://soundcloud.com/zachary-barron-903233151/sets/alnico-2-cabsim

Last edited:

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vUZVNBQXO4YCOgQILJzLDXxADUNMWvtp/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XjhXZtgRPP4Mxzmr-cGSHfJQbfHNg8Je/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AW-Pl765-onfiryAQ_h5kFyNqmLKFUUz/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gFR1I4j-ddi_KS8em-eTBfAM-sAPXx_0/view

I ended up removing the ceramic from the vintage wound one and putting the A2s in. I like it even more. I just ordered two more sets. I'm doing all 3 vintage wound about 5.8K with A2s.

I was surprised to hear that when they're all comparable DC resistance there is a noticeable loss of volume with the Alnico 2s. It's a big difference.

Last edited:

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
Notes then chords (ceramic then A2) in both cases. Same amp for each part (Blackface and then a Mesa Boogie). Some compression on each and tremolo and reverb added to the chords.

I think it's a wash in the single note section but the A2 wins the chords.
Thanks. Actually the first two files are the Alnico 2. The ones starting with A2. The ceramic are the files starting with Ceramic.

I'll probably do another one of these with the middle pickup when I receive my next batch of magnets. I'm just undecided on doing all Alnico 2s or I'm toying with the idea of one more set of 2s and a set of 5s. Then I'll put the 5s in the lowest two strings of all three pickups and fill the rest with 2s. That'll keep it warm but tighten up the bass.

Last edited:

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Is George Lynch the same guy who used to wrestle in the WWF called Razor Ramon?

Haha no! George used to be a skinny dude in Dokken, but I guess he has been working out lately.

Ibanez S420 vs Jackson Dinky?

I prefer the Ibanez neck but the Jackson sounds better to me.

I assume you're talking about the Dinky JS32 since it's about the same cost/specs as the S420. They're both decent for the price.
It's hard to beat the Wizard neck of an Ibanez for sure, plus I personally like the thin S series body shape. Pickups can always be easily replaced so I would go with the Ibanez.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
Are squier Affinity stratos playable guitars?
Of course. Affordable guitars are way better than they were in the past. The quality control isn't as stringent though so if possible go to a store and play several of them and buy the one that sounds and feels the best. If that's not an option you should still be fine. It's just an extra layer of insurance.

You may want to set up your guitar. You can pay to have it done, but it's better to learn how to do it yourself and with a strat it's really easy. The Squier Affinity is also a great modding platform in case you want to upgrade your parts later.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
Got the squier, the hss one, it was on sale and after trying it had to get it. Better than expected, it keeps in tune well and I think you can't ask for much more to the sound in a sub 200 guitar.

I like the feel of it better than my epi SG. Would recommend for any amateur player like myself that want something cheap and that does the trick.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you like it. I like the HSS ones. I don't get much use out of the single coil bridge. Too ice picky.
If you want any links for instructions on how to set it up let me know. Do you have any pictures?

I ordered a set of Alnico 2s, a set of Alnico 5s, and a no load Mojotone CTS 250k Blender pot. I'm going to set it up like this.
http://www.mojotone.com/support/Schematics-for-Pickups-and-Guitars/wiring-diagram-strat-blender
I wanted to do a master tone control since I don't like the two that don't touch the bridge. I didn't want a dummy knob so I ran across this mod. It should be a lot of fun and the pot was only $6.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
img_20171115_193600koqq9.jpg

The green looks lighter in person. I think first thing I want to do is changing the pot caps, it is just cosmetic but they look very cheap.

Torro

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Been looking for a LP-style guitar over the last weeks. Decided to get the ESP LTD EC-401 with an EMG 60/81 combo.

xlarge.png

I already feel the down-picking power of Hetfield in my right arm.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
img_20171115_193600koqq9.jpg

The green looks lighter in person. I think first thing I want to do is changing the pot caps, it is just cosmetic but they look very cheap.

I like it man! Very nice green! Big fan of HSS Stats!

Been looking for a LP-style guitar over the last weeks. Decided to get the ESP LTD EC-401 with an EMG 60/81 combo.

xlarge.png

I already feel the down-picking power of Hetfield in my right arm.

Did you purchase it yet? Guitar Center will have the LTD EC-401 on sale for Black Friday weekend at $499.99 (that's $200 off). You could probably get a price match if you already bought it, since most guitar stores have a 90-day window guarantee. The LTD EC series are great guitars!

vLr1Tjx.png

Torro

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Did you purchase it yet? Guitar Center will have the LTD EC-401 on sale for Black Friday weekend at $499.99 (that's $200 off). You could probably get a price match if you already bought it, since most guitar stores have a 90-day window guarantee. The LTD EC series are great guitars!

Thanks for the heads up, but I live in Germany and I already got it.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
after a few hours with the squier I cant go back to the Sg neck, I don´t know about neck shapes but the fender kind feels so much easy to play for me, maybe is the new guitar sindrome but at least having fun.

OP
OP
Neo0mj

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
As long as you're playing who cares why. Unless it eats parts of your soul with every note played.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
You know when you have a few guitars and there's bits about each that you prefer over the others? If you could make some frankenstein's monster of a guitar...

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
after a few hours with the squier I cant go back to the Sg neck, I don´t know about neck shapes but the fender kind feels so much easy to play for me, maybe is the new guitar sindrome but at least having fun.
I felt that way when I tried out LPs and SGs. I just couldn't get used to the neck. I love the look and would love a humbucker guitar but playability trumps all.

Well I did the Blender Mod. It was one of those times when everything that can go wrong did. At first I was getting no sound, then I got 100% volume no matter how I set the volume knob, Then I had all 3 pickups on no matter where the 5 way switch was. I also learned that this guitar came with mini pots, so I had to drill out the bottom tone hole in the pickguard to make it wide enough. After that I learned there isn't enough room in the control cavity for a full size pot there. I could widen the cavity but I have it covered in copper foil and am all out so that wasn't an option. I said fuck it, forced it in as best I can and had to redrill some of the pickguard holes. Fuck it it's all hidden underneath the pickguard anyway.

On the positive side it's working now.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
OK, so my adventure learning barre chords has come to a screeching halt. I have tendinitis in my fretting (left) hand. I'm left handed which makes this even worse.

I took my guitar in to the store that adjusted/restrung it a few months back and they said there really isn't much else they can do. So I'm going to have to buy a new acoustic.

Currently I have an Alvarez Yairi DY45. I need an acoustic that's easier to play, so I'm open to suggestions. I am mostly into blues/R&B so a steel string would be preferable although a nylon string is not out of the question. I also have a Gibson Epiphone electric, which I can practice on in the meantime.

Unfortunately I wrecked the finish on the Alvarez by the pick guard so I'm not going to get much for it. Maybe $200 if I'm lucky.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
Are you able to get barre chords on your electric? Also make sure your wrist is at a natural angle. I like many others have a tendency to face the guitar up so i can see the strings, but that messes with the angle of your wrist. Also try different thumb positions.

I also have a little cheat. If I push my stomach chest out to push the guitar out and pull in with both my fretting hand and my elbow resting on the body I can do a buzz free barre chord without having my left thumb even touching the guitar. Don't do this with all your strength obviously or you'll snap it in half, especially your acoustic. I use just barely enough strength to not hear any buzz.

Start with the 9th fret with only the pointer finger. Once you get that add the remaining fingers and work your way back to the first fret to get a F barre chord which is harder.

Another problem might be using the pad of your finger. If you turn your finger slightly counter clockwise you'll have a bonier part of it against the strings which will help. Also play each string one at a time when barred to see if you consistantly struggle with a string or two. You might solve that by just moving your finger up or down.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
It's the guitar. The strings are way too high off the neck for comfortable playing. I've avoided barre chords for 20yrs because my guitar is just painful to play, and when I finally started getting serious about it I end up with tendinitis within months. I tried a friends Takamine and I was amazed at how easy it was for me to play. It's been a month since I picked up the guitar and my hands still hurt.

Yes, the electric is fine for practice but it won't fit the bill for doing open mics. I definitely need a new acoustic.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if you can do barre chords on your electric it's your acoustic not your technique. Unless there is something structurally wrong with the guitar I don't understand why the strings can't be lowered any further to make them comparable with your friend's guitar. Your nut and saddle can be sanded down and your truss rod can be adjusted for correct relief. If you have uneven frets they can be leveled and crowned.

On the off chance, you don't happen to be in Ohio do you? If you are I'll look at the guitar and would do any non fretwork for free. I don't have the tools for fretwork.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah if you can do barre chords on your electric it's your acoustic not your technique. Unless there is something structurally wrong with the guitar I don't understand why the strings can't be lowered any further to make them comparable with your friend's guitar. Your nut and saddle can be sanded down and your truss rod can be adjusted for correct relief. If you have uneven frets they can be leveled and crowned.

On the off chance, you don't happen to be in Ohio do you? If you are I'll look at the guitar and would do any non fretwork for free. I don't have the tools for fretwork.

No, I'm in the Boston area. I'll put some XL gauge strings on there but I really don't think it will make much of a difference. Could be a combination of things. The guitar was always difficult for me to play even with open chords.

I tried purposefully to make sure I wasn't using the flat of my index finger too. It's my middle finger that hurts the most, although my index finger does as well, and this is after 1mos of not playing at all.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Glad to see this thread carried over. I probably should have taken stock of all the communities I was involved in before I nuked myself, but thought that was the end.

I remember a comment about some issues with their CODE amp, and have meant to check mine out but forgot what the issue was.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada

The neck angle also affects how low the action can go, and so sometimes acoustic guitars need a neck reset.

Wag — until you find a new guitar you can play smaller voicings to prevent injury. Use a capo to include appropriate open strings.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
The neck angle also affects how low the action can go, and so sometimes acoustic guitars need a neck reset.

Wag — until you find a new guitar you can play smaller voicings to prevent injury. Use a capo to include appropriate open strings.

I did use a capo. The local music store I took it to was pretty knowledgeable with such things. One guy has run it for >40yrs.

Like I said, I have a Gibson Epiphone which is pretty easy to play, I'll practice on that in the meantime once the pain in my left hand eases up a bit.

It's really too bad I wrecked the Alvarez, I won't get any money for it now. I'll probably just hold onto it or give it to a friend.

zbarron

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I thought and why I want to buy it. I've been watching this ad for a long time. It was originally up for $100 and had no takers so he just lowered the price to $75. I can't say no at that price.