• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 4 days, 14 hours, 3 minutes, 6 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Guitar |OT| If you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned it months ago when I first got it, but I am still not sure about my Mission Engineering Gemini FRFR. It is just so bassy. I have used it with helix, archetype plini, and now Kemper. I can get it sounding great. But, I feel like I am doing something wrong because I have to turn down the low end so much on every user patch/profile I download. The thing that gets me is that it has the empower knob on it that is supposed to cut the low end a bit to make it seem more like a real guitar cabinet. I don't even understand who that could be for because the FRFR setting has too much low end as is. Switching on the empower stuff just turns everything to absolute mud.

I don't know. If a Friedman ASC12 pops up used at guitar center one of these days, I might have to grab it. You get a month or whatever to return shit, and I have a local store I can walk it into. Everyone online seems to love these gemini's though. It makes me feel like mine is defective.

treble

Oct 25, 2017
A bass cut on guitars is a good thing imo.

When we were recording our last album, we had to cut a lot of the low end out of the guitar so that it didn’t interfere with the drums and the bass frequencies. It took a while to find the right setting, because it sounds so different than what we were used to on stage, but it really helped overall and sounded way better when recording.

Guitar is a mid ranged instrument imo - like the human voice. That’s why I lean towards amps and tools that emphasize mids when playing guitar.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of truth to the "if your guitar sounds good on it's own, it probably doesn't sound good in a band context."

It's hard to understand at first, though.

Also, I finally got my first Telecaster. I've wanted one for nearly 12 years now. The thing is a beauty.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is apparently essentially a master EQ I am going to fiddle with. Maybe I can get it dialed in for my room and everything, then not have to adjust every single patch to cut the bass.

But, I actually noticed something slightly off with my Kemper. One of it's knobs is a bit wonky:

I know it's hard to tell from a shitty gif. But, essentially it can be finicky about me making adjustments. Can't really read the numbers, but just look at the lights. I am turning it slowly, so you SHOULD see them trail off one at a time, instead it stops registering that I am turning it and then suddenly jumps from 4 clicks to the left to two on the right to catch up to where I am. None of the other knobs have this issue. And if I sit there wiggling it I can get it to start working. Gonna try blasting it with some deoxit and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: Deoxit fixed it:

Last edited: