• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New (used) Guitar Day!

wJO7j0y.jpg

2013 SG standard in natural burst. It's so light and fast. I think my solid body collection is now complete.

That's a beautiful guitar! I love the full pickguard on SGs, but I actually hate the look of the half pickguard. Rare opinion, I know. Put it through a compressor pedal and into a nice overdrive (Tubescreamer, in my case) and you got one of the best Soul/Jazz/Funk tones out there. I've owned a lot of guitars, but I praise SGs most for their clarity.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, the Les Paul Tribute with the satin finish is so gorgeous. The Gold and the Honeyburst, both. It goes to show you how much money it costs to get that classic gibson shiny finish that you could get a guitar of that caliber so relatively cheap. That being said, I don't think pictures do it justice. I have had a black SG standard as my main guitar for 15 years, and in-person, the guitar has this buttery finish. It's not super reflective, like it only shines to accent the curves. Maybe a satin finish wouldn't look so great in-person, I dunno.

The cool thing is that they leave the side of the maple cap natural to look like binding.

gibson_usa_2018_les_paul_tribute_guitar_-_satin_gold_top_-_glamour.jpg

That's a smart idea.

I love the feel of satin finish guitars, but the problem is they get glossy the more you play them, sometimes very quickly. The neck glosses up quickly first because it receives the most contact. Then area like the dials, toggle and where you place your arm all get glossy and lose the satin texture. Cool at first, but gets kinda unsightly later.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Anyone played or owned a J Masics Squier Jazzmaster? I've been offered one in a swap for my old now rarely used and battered to shit Blues Junior. I don't normally swap sight unseen but I'm going to be in London all next week and the guy wants to do the swap asap, I've got a mate who's going to handle it and can check the guitar is in good condition (from the pictures it looks fine)

Always fancied a Jazzmaster or Jaguar.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played or owned a J Masics Squier Jazzmaster? I've been offered one in a swap for my old now rarely used and battered to shit Blues Junior. I don't normally swap sight unseen but I'm going to be in London all next week and the guy wants to do the swap asap, I've got a mate who's going to handle it and can check the guitar is in good condition (from the pictures it looks fine)

Always fancied a Jazzmaster or Jaguar.

I've played one and enjoyed it. Its not an AVRI, which is to expected by its price. That said, the one I played - a bandmate's JM that I tried over the course of a few practices - was one of the best jazzmaster guitars I have played outside of much more expensive models. It's routinely noted as one of the best bang for the buck guitars around. I'd definitely make that trade if your friend knows what you like and gives a thumbs up.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Yeah, my Fender Japan Strat is fantastic (though Tokai made, not Fujigen).

Anybody else here play Gibson guitars?
I have a '97 The Paul II that I have since upgraded. Really unimpressed with so many of their instruments I've played over the years and the lack of value for the cost. Much more impressed with the PRS guitars I've played (which I own none of).

Really not surprised they went bankrupt and the faster they ditch Henry Juszkiewicz's influence and management style the better.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my Fender Japan Strat is fantastic (though Tokai made, not Fujigen).

I have a '97 The Paul II that I have since upgraded. Really unimpressed with so many of their instruments I've played over the years and the lack of value for the cost. Much more impressed with the PRS guitars I've played (which I own none of).

Really not surprised they went bankrupt and the faster they ditch Henry Juszkiewicz's influence and management style the better.

I recorded on an album using a PRS, which was the first time I ever really played one. (My LP studio was stolen a few months earlier and I hadn't really bonded with my new guitar yet so I was pretty open minded about what I'd use in the studio.) I do like them sonically, but my problem with them is they do a lot of aesthetic things you see on modern 'guitars for which you pay a premium that I'm not particularly fond of. I personally dislike figured/flame tops. I prefer a natural wood grain. That being said, there is one PRS guitar that's really piqued my interest. Have you seen the new strat-copy? I bet it rules.

For me, I've been playing this SG std. for so damn long that anything else feels uneasy to me. And I'm glad they brought back the option for the full-faced pickguard, which I adore.

Speaking of Gibson, I think they've really started to turn it around. They've stopped trying to push changes on people and instead are giving many more options. So, instead of trying to make their std. line uniform or push controversial innovations, they give you the option of 50's, 60's. or modern. As someone who has a 50's style neck LP, i don't know why anybody would ever prefer that over the faster 60's neck. There are certain parts of songs where you really feel like 'alienated' from the fretboard. Like, your hand has to kind detach from the contour of the neck unnaturally in a way that isn't so obvious when playing a more modern neck.

Anyway, I agree that Gibsons are way overpriced for what they are. But, unfortunately nothing quite sounds like an LP, so what are you gonna do? They apparently had an extremely well-received showing at NAMM this year so we'll see where they go form here. However, the gigbags for a 1500 dollar guitar is a wack practice.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Just bought this fuzz pedal I fell in love with at NAMM...

qcqkcgx8qs76tgqlguk9.jpg

It sounds okay through my Orange amp.
It sounds terrible through the clean channel of my Marshall JMC800, but pretty good through it's drive channel.
Sounds remarkable through my Vox AC15/30
Sounds equally remarkable through the clean channel of my Boogie Mark III

Pretty much the best, most punchy fuzz I've come across - great quality/build pedal as well... except for one thing; the screws they put in the bottom that you need to take out to change the battery are incredibly CHEAP ass screws. No joke, two of them stripped as I was trying to change out the battery, and I had to take it to a machine shop so they could drill out the screws - they're literally the cheapest quality screws they could've used - tore up with very little pressure. The rest of the pedal is high quality - why they'd cheap out with the screws is beyond me.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Wife added this for me!!! Can't wait!!! I'll have to wait till tomorrow to play with it though.

Still progressing. There has been some improvement, says my wife lol. She might just be saying that so I don't feel bad and give up.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
I personally dislike figured/flame tops. I prefer a natural wood grain.

The figuring is natural (and have seen it in lots of goods made of wood), but having so much of it in a piece the size of a guitar top is not nearly as common as not. The only PRS models I really find visually appealing are the single cuts and the Silver Sky one you mentioned.

Give me a big fat neck over anything else, all day every day. Also like a v-profile.

unfortunately nothing quite sounds like an LP, so what are you gonna do?

Buy a LP style guitar from anyone else? I'd buy an Eastman SB59/v-GB if I was in the market.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The figuring is natural (and have seen it in lots of goods made of wood), but having so much of it in a piece the size of a guitar top is not nearly as common as not. The only PRS models I really find visually appealing are the single cuts and the Silver Sky one you mentioned.

Give me a big fat neck over anything else, all day every day. Also like a v-profile.

Buy a LP style guitar from anyone else? I'd buy an Eastman SB59/v-GB if I was in the market.

I dunno man... it just doesn't look right. Even when Gibson themselves do that sharper cut from time to time, it's like something about that design that any variation just doesn't do it. I do love the single-cut PRS, though.

Oddly enough, I think the problem great brands with PRS is that they don't have much of a cultural foothold in a lot of popular genres. So, when you are developing as an artist and you go to see your favorite band (in my case emo/post-hardcore show (let's say country music) and every band has a Tele, it begins to define the 'sound' of the genre. But, what genres do you associate a PRS with? Can someone who has never owned one describe what one sounds like? As a kid, I associated it with Carlos Santana and Creed... couldn't imagine two lamer artists for a young kid into thrash metal and later post-hardcore/emo. They looked like old-man guitars to me.

Last edited:

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
I dunno man... it just doesn't look right

It can't look exactly right and be sold anywhere that respects US copyright laws. For some reason the headstock shape matters the most so an Epiphone LP looks more 'not right' to me than the Eastman just because of that.

Can someone who has never owned one describe what one sounds like?

Electric guitars all sound the same :P

But I see PRS guitars all over the place. I associate them with a lot of rock music I don't like but have seen people playing all genres with them.

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno man... it just doesn't look right. Even when Gibson themselves do that sharper cut from time to time, it's like something about that design that any variation just doesn't do it. I do love the single-cut PRS, though.

Oddly enough, I think the problem great brands with PRS is that they don't have much of a cultural foothold in a lot of popular genres. So, when you are developing as an artist and you go to see your favorite band (in my case emo/post-hardcore show (let's say country music) and every band has a Tele, it begins to define the 'sound' of the genre. But, what genres do you associate a PRS with? Can someone who has never owned one describe what one sounds like? As a kid, I associated it with Carlos Santana and Creed... couldn't imagine two lamer artists for a young kid into thrash metal and later post-hardcore/emo. They looked like old-man guitars to me.

I've got a PRS Singlecut and it's really versatile. Even a PRS like the Mark Holcomb signature is designed for prog metal, but it's got coil taps and you can coax a ton of great tones out of it.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, here's a pic from when I first got it. It's a fantastic guitar.

Nice! I love the color. I hear good things about the wrap-around tailpiece. They say it was perfect, but consumers were put-off by the idea of it and they were pressured into using a bridge that's more like a tune-o-matic even though the design is obsolete. I've played guitars with that stoptail bridge for 17 years and I personally think that however aesthetically pleasing they might be, they are a real pain in the ass.

FateShirou

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking to purchase a bass guitar. I used to own a Squier jazz bass, but my father gave it away when i moved away for unvi
I want to get back into music. Any suggestions for a 400-600$ bass to get? I dont really like metalic finishes btw.

Oct 26, 2017
Looking to purchase a bass guitar. I used to own a Squier jazz bass, but my father gave it away when i moved away for unvi
I want to get back into music. Any suggestions for a 400-600$ bass to get? I dont really like metalic finishes btw.
Ibanez TMB-600. Versatile PJ pickup configuration, passive-active, nice original vintage look.
Got one last year, really happy with my purchase, fantastic price value. The neck is thicker than a jazz bass neck though.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Some say 'dated,' others say 'classic.' They have their problems but there is something magical about them. I've seen a million guitar designs and while there are so many great designs, I still don't think anything matches it. I only have a studio and it's still got a little magic and mystique to it.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Some say 'dated,' others say 'classic.' They have their problems but there is something magical about them. I've seen a million guitar designs and while there are so many great designs, I still don't think anything matches it. I only have a studio and it's still got a little magic and mystique to it.

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. I honestly don't know what it is exactly about the design, but it works for me far better than any other design - and I've tried them all. I just feel like I play and sound more like the way I want to when I have a LP or a similar Gibson like an SG or a 335 strapped around me. I just don't have the same feel in my playing with, say, a Tele or a Strat, or some newfangled guitar, fine guitars they may be, they just don't fit me and my style like these old Gibsons do. Otherwise, I'd have something different in this gang of very similar guitars...

HJbqROl.jpg

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. I honestly don't know what it is exactly about the design, but it works for me far better than any other design - and I've tried them all. I just feel like I play and sound more like the way I want to when I have a LP or a similar Gibson like an SG or a 335 strapped around me. I just don't have the same feel in my playing with, say, a Tele or a Strat, or some newfangled guitar, fine guitars they may be, they just don't fit me and my style like these old Gibsons do. Otherwise, I'd have something different in this gang of very similar guitars...

HJbqROl.jpg

Sweet Jesus.... that tobacco burst standard... I've adored that guitar since I was a little boy watching MTV and I saw Slash play it in November Rain. I didn't even play guitar then...

I see you got the Marshall JCM 800. I used to gig with a Peavey XXX half stack and I got so sick of hauling that thing around. I looked for a good tube combo that I could carry in with one arm. I tried out the JCM800 and the Fender Deluxe... I ended up going with the Fender Deluxe because it was so warm. However, I think if you weren't a pedal guy, the Marshall is the way to go.

My LP actually got stolen at gig when I was 18. I bought an SG Standard to replace it and that guitar has become 'my' main guitar. It just feels like home. By the grace of God I went into a pawnshop to see if some OTHER stuff from our band had been stolen some 7 years later and lo and behold... I see a copper-top studio (only 200 made) with EMG 81/85. In Northern Kentucky. I almost fainted. They tried to make me buy back my own stolen shit, but my dad went to a victim's advocate while I was living abroad and got it back. Assholes kept the case because my dad didn't know it had one. Fucking pawn shops. Fuck me for wanting my own stuff back that you never ran the serial numbers on. God I wish I had that case.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
What's the latest guitar desing that have become a industry standard? Like lps or strats.

Was thinking on how even more than 60 years later those are still the reference for most or many models. Is there really innovative desings available for the general consumer? out of small builders.

OP
OP
Neo0mj

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
What's the latest guitar desing that have become a industry standard? Like lps or strats.

Was thinking on how even more than 60 years later those are still the reference for most or many models. Is there really innovative desings available for the general consumer? out of small builders.

You can only toy with the base design of a guitar so far before you start entering B.C. Rich territory.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Sweet Jesus.... that tobacco burst standard... I've adored that guitar since I was a little boy watching MTV and I saw Slash play it in November Rain. I didn't even play guitar then...
That was a college graduation present from my parents and my first electric - maybe that's why I'm drawn towards them. Before that, I only ever played acoustic.

I see you got the Marshall JCM 800. I used to gig with a Peavey XXX half stack and I got so sick of hauling that thing around. I looked for a good tube combo that I could carry in with one arm. I tried out the JCM800 and the Fender Deluxe... I ended up going with the Fender Deluxe because it was so warm. However, I think if you weren't a pedal guy, the Marshall is the way to go.
Yeah, after my first modern-era amp broke and could only be fixed for as much as buying a new one, thanks to circuit boards and shit, I went vintage so I could just repair them myself. Fenders were too touchy and thin for my tastes, so I went Marshall. Never had a stack, as most places I've played, I could just easily mic a combo - so much easier to gig without hauling a stack. Save for a few back up spots for friends, my gigging days are long behind me, but these days, my "signature sound" is the LP w/ the P90s through the Orange; simple, dry and punchy.

My LP actually got stolen at gig when I was 18. I bought an SG Standard to replace it and that guitar has become 'my' main guitar. It just feels like home. By the grace of God I went into a pawnshop to see if some OTHER stuff from our band had been stolen some 7 years later and lo and behold... I see a copper-top studio (only 200 made) with EMG 81/85. In Northern Kentucky. I almost fainted. They tried to make me buy back my own stolen shit, but my dad went to a victim's advocate while I was living abroad and got it back. Assholes kept the case because my dad didn't know it had one. Fucking pawn shops. Fuck me for wanting my own stuff back that you never ran the serial numbers on. God I wish I had that case.
I've mostly "lucked" into all my guitars, from gifts, so having connections in the industry and a couple lucky finds in the early wilderness days of ebay. (I've had many more than what's in that pic)
My 2 acoustics (both Taylors) aren't in that pic. Here's one that was made for me custom (and at cost), because the guy I used to buy wood from for my work also sold wood to Taylor and hooked me up with the guy who ran their shop...

QNDH8TN.jpg

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
I had a jazz bass made in Japan that was easily the quality of an American JB worth twice as much. Highly recommend it.

Anybody else here play Gibson guitars?

I am a big time gibson person. i have several, busted this out to restring and clean since it's Gibsunday and all. I have this custom, bought in 08, it's a 68 reissue. I have an 07 black beauty custom, an 80 Standard, and an 82 flying v and 82 es-335. I loved seeing their NAMM showing, they seem to really be on the right track with the core line up.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
With all this Gibson talk, I'm going to be in the minority and say I'm not that big of a fan of the les paul. I don't hate it, but I prefer Gibsons other designs over it. The explorer being my favorite.

For that budget I'd look into a used fender. Me and my dad have a MIJ fender jaguar bass and its very nice.

I've also heard that Ibanez makes good basses in that price range.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can only toy with the base design of a guitar so far before you start entering B.C. Rich territory.

I had a Warlock in high school. I wish I still had it, honestly.

I am a big time gibson person. i have several, busted this out to restring and clean since it's Gibsunday and all. I have this custom, bought in 08, it's a 68 reissue. I have an 07 black beauty custom, an 80 Standard, and an 82 flying v and 82 es-335. I loved seeing their NAMM showing, they seem to really be on the right track with the core line up.

Definitely looking up for Gibson. They were kind of the talk of NAMM this year. That's a gorgeous guitar, btw. A green LPC? Godlike. My main guitar is not nearly that nice, tbh. You guys make me feel like a Gibson poser, lol. Regardless, when I bought my last guitar I liked it so much that I haven't felt compelled to buy another guitar since. My focus since I got back into it has been on building a good pedal-board.

FateShirou

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I was learning, I just tried learning songs. Mostly using tabs. Probably not the best way, but it worked for me.
I have a tough time getting rhythm down, so tabs were the reason why I didnt do well the first time. The only song I ended up learning was stand by me because my musician teacher at the time, helped me get the timing down for the notes for that song.

Gonna go down to the store next week and see what they have
https://www.long-mcquade.com/87272/...ring-Electric-Bass-Guitar---Vintage-White.htm
this one catches my eye (i know its not an ibanez, but i like that style of basses)

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of picking up an ibanez
Any good books/videos I can pick up? I dont have access to a music teacher anymore sadly....I want to learn some fundamentals before trying to seek help
Look at Rocksmith 2014. It's a super easy way to pick up a bass and start learning songs. There is a community here on Resetera as well.

Last edited:

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To expand my playing I've started playing genres that I don't usually listen to or play. In this case, country. Some of the best electric guitarists in music are country guitarists, so I bet there is a lot I can learn from their licks. I think it's really just my fascination with telecasters lately, though. lol BTW, TIL Brad Paisley is for real a sick guitar player.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Hello friends.

I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar. When I was younger my brother had a cheapo kids guitar that I used to steal and play with. I never learned anything proper, but did learn some basic jingles from Zelda by ear and from the internet.

10-15 years later and I'm going to buy a Yamaha FG800 to try and learn. I don't know if I want to attempt fingerstyle, or just learn how to strum chords, but am looking forward to it. Glad I stumbled upon this thread!

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Hello friends.

I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar. When I was younger my brother had a cheapo kids guitar that I used to steal and play with. I never learned anything proper, but did learn some basic jingles from Zelda by ear and from the internet.

10-15 years later and I'm going to buy a Yamaha FG800 to try and learn. I don't know if I want to attempt fingerstyle, or just learn how to strum chords, but am looking forward to it. Glad I stumbled upon this thread!
If you can, play with other people as much as you can. That's what's helped me most in my playing.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a new guitar.

It's desperately second hand, it's covered in dings and scratches, a couple of the frets are worn down, really needs new strings etc and it's a cheapo model......and I'm in love with it.

So I've been after a Les Paul variant for ages, I almost bought a legit Gibson a while back but it didn't happen for various reasons. Recently I developed a hankering for one again, but given that I don't have much spare cash at the moment I've been looking at the Epiphone Les Paul and I've not really found anything that grabs me, they're all the wrong colour or too pricey or whatever. So I was out with the wife yesterday and stuck my nose into a second hand amp/records/guitar shop I've never been in, and there at the back, in a pile of dusty classical guitars, behind a pile of amps and DJ equipment is an untuned, battered old Epiphone Les Paul Studio, in a gorgeous cherry red sunburst colour, black trim. Made in Korea. Instant love, no idea why. Bloke wanted £150 for it, knocked him down to £120 then traded my old non brand electric and paid the guy £50.

So silly how I instantly bonded with it, even with awful strings and a couple of worn frets it's a joy to play, it sounds so warm, so full. Much nicer than my previous electric, despite on paper being the worse instrument.

So the hitlist;
- New toggle switch bought £2.50 on eBay, the previous one was missing
- Fret guard removed. Looks nicer without it, it's black. Might replace with a cream or white version, but I'll probs leave it off for now. I don't like the fixing hole by the neck pickup but nevermind.
- A serious cleaning of the body and neck because it's filthy
- Oil the neck
- New strings, obviously
- Might tweak the truss rod a tiiiiiiny bit and some gentle fiddling with the intonation maybe
- The first two frets need replacing but it's playable as is. A slight bit of fret buzz on the g string where the fret is most worn down, but only at certain times. Not a job I can do myself and probs more than the guitar is worth to get it done, so I'll just suck it up.

But yeah, I love it. It feels right in the hands, it's the first guitar to ever really call to me and who'd have thunk it would be a cheap ass piece of shit.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Congrats on the guitar man!
And yeah, it's weird how we bond with certain guitars - my favorite is my cheapest guitar for some reason and not my "nicest".

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Agree. I bought a second hand Epiphone Explorer and it plays so well. Even though its just a lower end made in China guitar. I think the original owner spent money making it nice. When I bought it, it was perfectly set up and the fret edges are the smoothest of any guitar I own. Funny enough, about the fret edges, my USA Gibson Explorer is the worst of the guitars I own.

In other news, today I shimmed the neck on my partscaster strat. The neck was tilted too far back, so I put in a 0.5° shim and its much better. Though I remembered how much I hate tuning a guitar with a floating bridge. I should have just bought a tele body instead of a strat body, lol.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Look at Rocksmith 2014. It's a super easy way to pick up a bass and start learning songs. There is a community here on Resetera as well.

I'm about to get back into trying that. I started with it late last year with lessons but just couldn't get it to recognize pull offs for anything. And the game has no way of telling you what you're doing wrong, it just makes you keep trying over and over and over until you somehow get it or you quit. Got frustrated after spending two full hour sessions with that one part of one lesson and not being any closer to getting through it and haven't messed with Rocksmith since.

At a glance, it looks like that's not required for further lessons (in the short term at least) like the previous ones were. So I'll probably just skip it.

Probably also worth digging into things other than lessons. I haven't looked at the minigame stuff at all, let alone actual songs.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to get back into trying that. I started with it late last year with lessons but just couldn't get it to recognize pull offs for anything. And the game has no way of telling you what you're doing wrong, it just makes you keep trying over and over and over until you somehow get it or you quit. Got frustrated after spending two full hour sessions with that one part of one lesson and not being any closer to getting through it and haven't messed with Rocksmith since.

At a glance, it looks like that's not required for further lessons (in the short term at least) like the previous ones were. So I'll probably just skip it.

Probably also worth digging into things other than lessons. I haven't looked at the minigame stuff at all, let alone actual songs.
For me, songs are the best part. I really enjoy playing in all these different ways from different artists.

Maybe turn up the gain if it is not recognizing your pull off. Or just pick it so it will register.