• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Few weeks back a buddy of mine had a jam night at his place and I met this dude who turns out to be a fuckin master luthier. Met up with the dude tonight and got my acoustic Martin GPCX adjusted and it sounds soooo fucking godly now! No more annoying buzz, especially around the 12th fret!! I am honestly blown away by how much better my guitar sounds. I was having some major problems there for a bit with the buzz and action. All better now!

Become friends with a Luthier

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing almost a year ago, but sadly a few months ago I had to sell my guitar and amp to cover some emergency bills. But now I'm caught up and looking to get another guitar. I never got much beyond basic chords but I enjoyed it and can't wait to get back to it.

My dilemma is what to get. I had a Fender Standard Strat which I liked, but I see they've replaced that line with the Player line. I could get one of those to replace my old Standard, but then I looked at what my local shop has used and they have one of my wish guitars, a Gibson SG Gothic. It's a little more than the Player Strat but they say it's in excellent condition. Tomorrow I'm gonna head to the shop and fondle both of them and see which one decides to come home with me.

Then there's the amp. I had a Boss Katana 50 which I really liked, but no one in town has one and I'd rather not order something and have to wait. So I'm not sure what I'm gonna get.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I started playing almost a year ago, but sadly a few months ago I had to sell my guitar and amp to cover some emergency bills. But now I'm caught up and looking to get another guitar. I never got much beyond basic chords but I enjoyed it and can't wait to get back to it.

My dilemma is what to get. I had a Fender Standard Strat which I liked, but I see they've replaced that line with the Player line. I could get one of those to replace my old Standard, but then I looked at what my local shop has used and they have one of my wish guitars, a Gibson SG Gothic. It's a little more than the Player Strat but they say it's in excellent condition. Tomorrow I'm gonna head to the shop and fondle both of them and see which one decides to come home with me.

Then there's the amp. I had a Boss Katana 50 which I really liked, but no one in town has one and I'd rather not order something and have to wait. So I'm not sure what I'm gonna get.

The Gibson Gothic SG with the crescent moon and star inlay at the 12th fret? Yeah that's a mean looking guitar! They used to be pretty affordable at around $500 some years ago, but they've become popular again lately and fetching anywhere in the $650 to even $900 range depending on condition. If you can get a good price on it then I would definitely consider it. Of course, it all depends on how it plays. The new Player line Strats look fantastic as well. I wouldn't mind rockin the blue one with the Floyd Rose.

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
The Gibson Gothic SG with the crescent moon and star inlay at the 12th fret? Yeah that's a mean looking guitar! They used to be pretty affordable at around $500 some years ago, but they've become popular again lately and fetching anywhere in the $650 to even $900 range depending on condition. If you can get a good price on it then I would definitely consider it. Of course, it all depends on how it plays. The new Player line Strats look fantastic as well. I wouldn't mind rockin the blue one with the Floyd Rose.
Yep, that's the one. I'm a huge AC/DC fan, so an SG has always been on my list, and IMO the Gothic is the best looking one they made. So if it feels good it's probably mine.

Still debating what amp though. Looking over what they have on their website I'm leaning towards splurging a little and getting a Vox AC 10. It'd be plenty for home use and I'd have an excuse to finally start trying out pedals.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that's the one. I'm a huge AC/DC fan, so an SG has always been on my list, and IMO the Gothic is the best looking one they made. So if it feels good it's probably mine.

Still debating what amp though. Looking over what they have on their website I'm leaning towards splurging a little and getting a Vox AC 10. It'd be plenty for home use and I'd have an excuse to finally start trying out pedals.

Vox amps are great 'pedal platforms.' Meaning, a good amp with a nice warm clean sound that plays well with pedals, in particular overdrives. Tube Screamer Mini has become one of those 'always on' pedals for me now.

I want to give my sincerest endorsement on Gibson SGs. Sometimes you go into a situation thinking your favorite guitar is one thing, but when you play another, you find out that what you've really been looking for is somewhere else. I adore Gibson Les Pauls, from before I could even play guitar. But, something about my SG Std just fits me. The way it feels, plays, and sounds. And even if I think LPs look better than SGs, the SG looks better on ME. lol

I've had it for 15 years now and I only just now experienced my first problem... a scratchy volume pot! There are a lot of great guitars out there, but I couldn't ask for better guitar. I like them for how balanced and clear they sound when playing full chords in overdrive. Decent bite, and incredible 'growl.' I'm not a particularly huge AC/DC fan myself. Like, i wouldn't buy any of their albums, but at the same time, if they come on the radio, I'm not changing the station., But, I love Angus' guitar tone. It's a great example of the strengths of the guitar. Just listen to Dirty Deeds. Even in standard tuning, still some of the heaviest music ever made.

Something else I will say for SGs, is that few guitars sound so good if you just plug in and play. Most other guitars, I gotta adjust my overdrive and EQ a bit after I switch from my SG otherwise the guitar will sound all wrong. Then when I switch back to the SG, it still sounds great with the new settings.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
New guitar day. Gibson Midtown Standard. I hadn't even heard of this model until a few days ago when it popped up on Craigslist. Always had a thing for Pelham blue and I wanted a semi-hollow (though this isn't quite a semi hollow, more a chambered out Les Paul).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone layout simply what i need to play guitar through my pc?

Guitar to multi effect to audio interface to pc?
I bought two 1/8th to 1/4 inch audio cables. One goes from my guitar to the Line In on back of tower itself, or maybe Mic In? I can't remember. Then one goes from output to my amp itself. I had a USB interface, but it introduced lag between when I hit a note and when I heard it. Plugging directly into the motherboard's audio solved that. After that, you need to decide what programs you actually want to use. Lots of choices out there. Are you wanting to plugin to record? Or use effects through the PC?

Nov 7, 2017
I bought two 1/8th to 1/4 inch audio cables. One goes from my guitar to the Line In on back of tower itself, or maybe Mic In? I can't remember. Then one goes from output to my amp itself. I had a USB interface, but it introduced lag between when I hit a note and when I heard it. Plugging directly into the motherboard's audio solved that. After that, you need to decide what programs you actually want to use. Lots of choices out there. Are you wanting to plugin to record? Or use effects through the PC?

All I want to do is be able to hear my guitar with effects while playing a song to learn it through the same headphones.

Oct 26, 2017
All I want to do is be able to hear my guitar with effects while playing a song to learn it through the same headphones.
Yeah. Use my method then. My amp itself is outputting through my headphone jack on front of tower. So you'll just need a cable like this to go from your guitar to your computer into a Line In jack. There are a lot of other methods depending on if you have a USB interface or not, but I'll just assume you don't. Then instead of using a cable from tower to amp like I do, you'll simply plug your headphones into the headphone jack itself. At that point, you have to find a program. Most cost money, some cheaper than others. Google will be your friend here. Many offer trials. Highly suggest whatever one you go with, you're downloading ASIO4All on your computer to use with whatever program you land with. Personally, I use Overloud and really enjoy it, but there are a ton of options. Personally, I would start with grabbing that cable, install Asio4All, find a program, and get a trial or demo of it. Test it all out.

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it took me a couple days but I finally got to the Guitar Center to check out a guitar. They did in fact have that used SG Gothic I was interested in, and after fondling it for a few minutes I had to have it. So I bought it, and after some internal debate decided to go a bit cheaper of the amp and bought a Katana 50. Plus I'm sure the other people in my apartment building will appreciate the .5 wt mode and the headphone jack. Plus I grabbed some incidentals like a guitar stand, some extra strings, a tuner, and some guitar polish and some fretboard oil so when I change the strings that came with it I'm can give it a nice going over. The only thing I didn't get was a strap, and that was because none of the ones they had where long enough for me. (I'm 6'5" and chunky). So I'll have to look around online for an XL one.

Also, have to give props to the store. When i was checking out I asked if they could make sure the guitar was set up right as I'm new and didn't have the slightest idea how to do it myself. The tech was there at the register and he said no problem, grabbed the guitar, and went over to one of the practice rooms to check it out. he came out a few minutes later and said "hold on one minute, something's not right." he took it over to his work area and after he gave it a once over he said that the pickup switch was bad, but he had a replacement in stock so he swapped it out in about 10 minutes.

So now I can start practicing again. After tuning it I discovered that even the few simple chords I knew before where long gone, so I'm gonna be starting from scratch. I'm gonna look into lessons, as I can use all the help I can get. But at least I've got a guitar and amp again.

malus

Oct 30, 2017
So I kind of impulse bought myself a guitar and am now looking for an amp. Since I've never played guitar before I'll mostly be playing in my apartment, possibly with headphones to not disturb the neighbors. I've heard good things about the Boss Katana but also about Vox Valvetronix amps and am currently looking at some second hand offers for them. Would those be good choices for me or are there other amps in that price range I should check out?
Btw the guitar is an Ibanez RG 370 DX.

Oct 27, 2017
So I kind of impulse bought myself a guitar and am now looking for an amp. Since I've never played guitar before I'll mostly be playing in my apartment, possibly with headphones to not disturb the neighbors. I've heard good things about the Boss Katana but also about Vox Valvetronix amps and am currently looking at some second hand offers for them. Would those be good choices for me or are there other amps in that price range I should check out?
Yamaha THR 10

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Hey y'all,

I have begun to learn some theory and I am currently having a hard time understanding the Major Scale. I understand how the scale is formed, my main confusion is in application.

Say you want to start playing over an A. Does that mean I play an A shape scale? Or could I use an E shape, but start on the 6th string/5th fret (since that's an A).
Are there things I am missing that I haven't learned yet? I am trying to teach myself so I might have jumped ahead too much. I have been using JustinGuitar and he introduced the Major Scale in G, so I'm confused as to how I would go about using the shapes if it's in another key. Or maybe I don't need to worry about keys right now.

lol haaaaalp, I'd appreciate any assistance.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

The Boss Katana is very popular, but I personally prefer the Vox VTX Valvetronix series. The crunch gain/distortion is more tube-like than the katana. The Vox has a singular tube and is more of a hybrid digital-tube amp so it has that extra oomph.

As far as bed room amps go you can't beat the Yamaha THR series for sure. They sound incredible but can be a tad pricey compared to other bedroom amps. I bought my THR10x used off Guitar Center. It's all I use at home, I never use my other amps except for gigs.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Hey y'all,

I have begun to learn some theory and I am currently having a hard time understanding the Major Scale. I understand how the scale is formed, my main confusion is in application.

Say you want to start playing over an A. Does that mean I play an A shape scale? Or could I use an E shape, but start on the 6th string/5th fret (since that's an A).
Are there things I am missing that I haven't learned yet? I am trying to teach myself so I might have jumped ahead too much. I have been using JustinGuitar and he introduced the Major Scale in G, so I'm confused as to how I would go about using the shapes if it's in another key. Or maybe I don't need to worry about keys right now.

lol haaaaalp, I'd appreciate any assistance.

Try this:

https://www.musictheoryinonelesson.com

The book is for sale, and lots of good the content is hosted online for free. Its really useful.

If you understand how to build the scales, skip down to chord progressions. You can always just play the chord tones. Or just start from the beginning.

I always recommend trying Rocksmith or just playing plugged into your computer. So much cheaper than buying an amp. For someone just starting you can learn so much about what different amps and pedals and such sound like, even if the models are imperfect. Let that shape your sound until you have a much better grasp of what you are looking for. Amps are LOUD. Tube amps have to be cranked, and typically a bad choice for low volume use.

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Try this:

https://www.musictheoryinonelesson.com

The book is for sale, and lots of good the content is hosted online for free. Its really useful.

If you understand how to build the scales, skip down to chord progressions. You can always just play the chord tones. Or just start from the beginning.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the key will stay the same, but I just need to know the parent scale for all the chords being played so I know what scale to play over each chord.

Thanks, that was helpful but I now realize I have skipped many steps haha. I need to memorize the fret board, it takes too long to count my way around. I might just buy this book.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New guitar day. Gibson Midtown Standard. I hadn't even heard of this model until a few days ago when it popped up on Craigslist. Always had a thing for Pelham blue and I wanted a semi-hollow (though this isn't quite a semi hollow, more a chambered out Les Paul).

I love it. What a sweet color.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the key will stay the same, but I just need to know the parent scale for all the chords being played so I know what scale to play over each chord.

Thanks, that was helpful but I now realize I have skipped many steps haha. I need to memorize the fret board, it takes too long to count my way around. I might just buy this book.
I would choose a single major scale and then build some chords (you probably know where most of them already are in 1st position). Record yourself playing a simple chord progression. Then play over it, reproducing the root notes of the chords in a melodic line. Use CAGED system to determine where other chords are and practice moving around the neck.

By the way, I am always pushing Rocksmith 2014 as a great learning tool, and they have a session (jam) mode. Here you create a band and you specify the root, the scale, the tempo, the complexity of the jam, etc. They have pre-made bands (blues revival, metal, etc.) During the free-form session, the on-screen guitar neck is lit up with notes that fall into that scale. Its really quite easy to learn, and its like $12 while on sale. worth every penny. playing songs is fun as well. We have an ERA thread too.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rocksmith-2014-remastered-ot-from-guitar-zero-to-hero.679/

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Musician's Friend has a faded SG for $499 as their stupid deal of the day. Seems like a good deal that I would have jumped on if I didn't get the standard recently.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I would choose a single major scale and then build some chords (you probably know where most of them already are in 1st position). Record yourself playing a simple chord progression. Then play over it, reproducing the root notes of the chords in a melodic line. Use CAGED system to determine where other chords are and practice moving around the neck.

By the way, I am always pushing Rocksmith 2014 as a great learning tool, and they have a session (jam) mode. Here you create a band and you specify the root, the scale, the tempo, the complexity of the jam, etc. They have pre-made bands (blues revival, metal, etc.) During the free-form session, the on-screen guitar neck is lit up with notes that fall into that scale. Its really quite easy to learn, and its like $12 while on sale. worth every penny. playing songs is fun as well. We have an ERA thread too.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rocksmith-2014-remastered-ot-from-guitar-zero-to-hero.679/

Thanks for your help good sir!

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
QOwxiz3.jpg

This popped up on Craigslist for $700 obo. It's calling out to me and I don't need it. Such a nice color though. Part of the "Goddess" line aimed at female players and apparently fairly rare.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I want to learn how to play guitar and one of my friends told me to give Rocksmith 2014 a try and if I like it go find a local guitar tutor if I want to push it further. I asked on the Rocksmith thread and was directed here for suggestions on first guitar.

Guitar Type: Electric
Skill level: beginner
Preferred sound: Open to anything. I listen to and prefer Blues, The Pixies, Garage rock/punk in general.
Planned use: Practice
Budget: No more than $500 (unless there is something that just takes the cake for a little more) It is a beginner guitar after all
Country of residence: US

Some suggestions, tips tricks for somone that has zero knowledge of guitars and would like to change that. I already started reading this thread but wanted to make the post and I will catch up to it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apropos of nothing, in the $500 range, I'd consider a new Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster, or a used made in Mexico strat/tele/jazzmaster of your choice. These should be good quality, regularly available for online purchase if you can't try anything in person

Best thing to do is to go by a local music store or two and try a bunch of guitars hands on. If you find one that speaks to you, so to speak - or inspires you to play - that's a good enough reason to give it a purchase. If you stick with it, it probably won't be the last guitar you purchase ;)

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I want to learn how to play guitar and one of my friends told me to give Rocksmith 2014 a try and if I like it go find a local guitar tutor if I want to push it further. I asked on the Rocksmith thread and was directed here for suggestions on first guitar.

Preferred sound: Open to anything. I listen to and prefer Blues, The Pixies, Garage rock/punk in general.
Budget: No more than $500 (unless there is something that just takes the cake for a little more) It is a beginner guitar after all

Some suggestions, tips tricks for somone that has zero knowledge of guitars and would like to change that. I already started reading this thread but wanted to make the post and I will catch up to it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
G&L Tribute Legacy goes on sale for $350 every 6 months or so. Amazing single coil guitar. Better than Mexico strat IMO. It's essentially a Stratocaster. Strats are cheap, easy to mod, etc.

Or you can look at LP style guitars with humbuckers.

Look at what guitar(s) your guitar hero's play. There are great tones to be had out of many different style guitars.

For sure, play some guitars before you buy.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Everything mentioned so far seems like a good buy. I started with an Epi G400 SG about 10 years ago and it's still kicking and plays great.

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wanting to start learning more about the nuts and bolts of electric guitars. How to set them up, replace pickups and electronics, change action, all that jazz. But I also don't want to do serious damage to my semi-nice guitar, as I'm not very mechanically inclined.

So I'm thinking of getting a really cheap used guitar and learning on it. My local shop has a used Squire strat for like $80. At that point even if I manage to screw it up beyond repair I'm not out much.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why has no one told me about Devin Townsend!? Just randomly clicked on a youtube video and this is some interesting shit going on here.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Why has no one told me about Devin Townsend!? Just randomly clicked on a youtube video and this is some interesting shit going on here.

Great stuff. He uses an odd tuning. There are quite a few Hevy Devy fans on Era, in fact I discovered him through neogaf some years ago. I had the old Steve Vai album he sang on but never made the connection.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Is Sweetwater running a sale on strings on their site and ebay, or are they normally that cheap?

About to pick up a couple sets of D'Addario balanced tension lights since they are less than $5 each with free shipping. Want a set to string my old guitar to learn how to put them on and set it up, then have the other set ready for my Pacifica. They've been on there since my setup last year but I also went a while without playing it. Plus the low E feels wonky and the frets at the end of the neck don't detect well in Rocksmith (first fret is a guaranteed miss, second and third are iffy), so I'll probably want to change them sooner rather than later.

Don't really know anything about strings but the balanced tension set sounds neat in theory. Seems like some people love them and others don't. For no extra cost it seems worth a shot.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Do you want new or is used fine? Because $500 will get you something pretty nice if you're ok with used. Something like a Mexican Fender, or Korean made gruitars like LTD or Schecter, a mid range Ibanez, maybe even a USA Gibson if you get lucky.

Last edited:

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Do you want new or is used fine? Because $500 will get you something pretty nice if you're ok with used. Something like a Mexican Fender, or Korean made gruitars like LTD or Schecter, a mid range Ibanez, maybe even a USA Gibson if you get lucky.

Used is fine do you have suggestions on where to tap into the used market?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Local music stores are a good start, Guitar Center will specialize in guitars but other more generalized stores have some stuff too. Pawn shops could be an option. Local gives you the opportunity to see it in person and hold it to know if you like it.

Guitar Center and Reverb have a lot online, and I guess Ebay too.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017

Craigslist and Facebook have been great. For Craigslist I bookmarked the "all musical instruments" sorted by newest and made a tile on my iPhone that I check frequently. You can also get email alerts for searches (telecaster, strat, etc).

If you find something that interests you, post it here for opinions.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
Recently got a Kemper.... the hype is real. But it has made me start looking at amps and speaker cabs again to build my collection more.

I suspect the problem that anyone might have with it is making their own profiles..... mic'ing an amp, choosing the right microphone and especially mic placement is all an art in itself. Plus when you profile an amp, you aren't hearing just the amp. You're hearing a mic'd guitar amp.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need a small practice combo. I love my main amp but it's a Fender Deluxe and you need a big room and a lot of volume to unlock the tone fully. It's way too loud.

I'm thinking of getting a modelling amp. What do you think about the Boss Katana 50 watt?

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here seen the Experience Hendrix tour? It's coming to my area soon and I'm thinking of going. Any impressions?

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
I need a small practice combo. I love my main amp but it's a Fender Deluxe and you need a big room and a lot of volume to unlock the tone fully. It's way too loud.

I'm thinking of getting a modelling amp. What do you think about the Boss Katana 50 watt?
I've got one and I like it a lot. Between the headphone jack and the .5 watt mode it'll do quiet pretty well, but the 25 and 50 watt modes have some ommph.

As for tone, well, it's my first amp so I don't have much to compare it too.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got one and I like it a lot. Between the headphone jack and the .5 watt mode it'll do quiet pretty well, but the 25 and 50 watt modes have some ommph.

As for tone, well, it's my first amp so I don't have much to compare it too.

.5 watt mode sounds good. Plus, with the large range of Boss effects, it will help me decide on what pedals to add to my board on my real amp. I think I'm going to buy one this month. I love my tube amp, but it's just so loud that if you put it on 4, it'll make you physically ill.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Recently got a Kemper.... the hype is real. But it has made me start looking at amps and speaker cabs again to build my collection more.

I suspect the problem that anyone might have with it is making their own profiles..... mic'ing an amp, choosing the right microphone and especially mic placement is all an art in itself. Plus when you profile an amp, you aren't hearing just the amp. You're hearing a mic'd guitar amp.

What is your speaker setup? I am looking to get a Kemper here soon-ish to upgrade from the helix. But, trying to pick a speaker setup is a pain. They announced their own speaker at NAMM but there is no release or price in site, and I believe it is going to be passive, and I intend to go with the unpowered Kemper.

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up a Boss GT-1000, super pumped to check it out. Any other owners here? Any tips or anything I should know?