• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
What is your speaker setup? I am looking to get a Kemper here soon-ish to upgrade from the helix. But, trying to pick a speaker setup is a pain. They announced their own speaker at NAMM but there is no release or price in site, and I believe it is going to be passive, and I intend to go with the unpowered Kemper.

I got the powered version. The head is surprisingly small and light weight! First time I used it was through my Amhion One18s powered by a cheapo amp off Amazon (been spending too much recently). Sounds fantastic. Was flipping through the presets and came across a 5150 into Mesa 4x12 profile, which I have and am very familiar with. It was kind of shocking to be honest to be like "That's my tone from my half stack" and that was just a factory profile.

Otherwise I've only used it through my Mesa 4x12. Haven't done too much experimenting but on that factory profile of a 5150 into a Mesa 4x12, turning off the cabinet on the Kemper didn't seem to make much difference. I've only made one profile myself so far, and turning the cab off made a big improvement there. There's a bunch of stuff I still need to learn about the profiles as far as merged and amp only profiles and stuff.

I'll try to do some experimenting with it for more amps and cabs this weekend. I have another cab with different speakers I need to check out with the Kemper. What kind of music do you play? Or which amps and cabs would you be using?

Another thing I want to try is sending the Kemper signal (not the powered signal) into the power amp of one of my heads. Technically the power amp is captured in the profile but my take is if it sounds good and works, it's fine.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mostly play metal stuff. Metallica, Maiden, Megadeth... Etc. I really have no business owning something as fancy as a Kemper, as someone who only plays in my living room. But, fuck it, I can afford it, so why not?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So something weird. I have a Les Paul Studio with EMGs, and I was having all sorts of issues. The input was crackling, the neck pickup would be quiet and muddy when I switched up to it until I played a few notes and it 'broke through.' Occasionally my pickups would lose volume. Just a mess of problems. Meanwhile, my SG worked fine. Well, my instrument cable went bad (it was a cheap one) and I replaced it... and all of a sudden, 0 issues on my Les Paul at all. For the last month, not even a sign of problems, after constant problems. You'd think it was just the cable, but my SG didn't have the same problems. I wonder if it has something to do with the active preamp that changing a cable would make such a difference? I'm stumped.

Either way, I worked on getting the setup right and dialing in my compressor/sustainer, overdrive, and on-board EQ on my amp and right now, it's the best guitar sound I've ever had out of any setup I've ever owned. Don't sleep on compressors, I guess. That's when the tide turned. Now, I just need a better reverb. Fender spring reverbs are just bit too hot for my taste.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
I mostly play metal stuff. Metallica, Maiden, Megadeth... Etc. I really have no business owning something as fancy as a Kemper, as someone who only plays in my living room. But, fuck it, I can afford it, so why not?

If it isn't an issue to afford it, I'd say it's worth it. I've been on an AxeFX for a couple years and I'm definitely playing more now. Not that the Axe is bad, it's just very tweaky and it's easy to get into thinking "Oh this isn't quite right let me go change this setting" and there's so many options you can mess with. Which is a cool thing to be able to do. But it's also great to be able to turn on the Kemper and have so many amp options at your disposal and pretty much immediately. I'm definitely the type of person to get into the crazy settings on the Axe though so I was always going beyond the normal amp settings.

Also, just search for some Megadeth or Metallica profiles. People have made all kinds of profiles.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Why has no one told me about Devin Townsend!? Just randomly clicked on a youtube video and this is some interesting shit going on here.

I remember him playing some pretty proggy stuff w/ Strapping Young Lad, but was mostly notable for the commitment to his skullet. I almost shat bricks once I saw this performance of 'Kingdom' though. Dear lord, to have that amount of countrol over his voice while playing and singing so operatically is a true gift...

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I played guitar for about 15 years. I stopped for nearly 4 years and late last year got a Fender acoustic guitar to start picking at. I'm obsessed all over again. I bought a Gibson SG a month ago along with a Fender amp. I'm even re-learning how to read music. I have to admit though, it is kind of like riding a bike. I'm nearly as good now as I was back then.

However, I have to bitch. As a left handed guitarist, I hate how expensive they are. I wish I would of just learned upside down in the beginning, but it felt too weird.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
I played guitar for about 15 years. I stopped for nearly 4 years and late last year got a Fender acoustic guitar to start picking at. I'm obsessed all over again. I bought a Gibson SG a month ago along with a Fender amp. I'm even re-learning how to read music. I have to admit though, it is kind of like riding a bike. I'm nearly as good now as I was back then.

However, I have to bitch. As a left handed guitarist, I hate how expensive they are. I wish I would of just learned upside down in the beginning, but it felt too weird.

one thing that will always confound me, as a lefty, i never once felt picking up and playing guitar right handed was unnatural. did the lefties here try and have it feel impossible?

OP
OP
Neo0mj

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
one thing that will always confound me, as a lefty, i never once felt picking up and playing guitar right handed was unnatural. did the lefties here try and have it feel impossible?

For me I can't handle a right handed guitar, but maybe it depends on when you picked up a lefty. If you started with a right handed guitar it might not be as awkward, but I imagine most South paws would start with a lefty because it seems like the logical thing to do when first starting.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It probably depends on what you learned on. If you were a complete beginner and started with a right handed guitar, it would feel probably feel natural. Maybe not for everyone, but I know some people that have learned that way.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
I just picked up a right handed and started poorly strumming it and just developed from there. I was aware of left handed players playing lefty, but when I held one for shits and giggles, it felt so awkward, I didn't feel at all in that moment that I'd ever get to any competent level of playing on a left handed guitar. I started really trying to play around age 17

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

My first guitar was right handed and I tried and tried and tried. It felt off or wrong. Once I got a left handed guitar things started happening naturally. It was a lot easier.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Just bought a black Hagstrom Super Viking, can't wait to play it! I'm gonna sell off 3 of my guitars and pick up a white Hagstrom Fantomen. That'll leave me with the 2 hagstroms and my ibanez acoustic, which I adore. 1 electric, 1 semi hollow and an acoustic. That should keep me good for a long time!

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Just bought a black Hagstrom Super Viking, can't wait to play it! I'm gonna sell off 3 of my guitars and pick up a white Hagstrom Fantomen. That'll leave me with the 2 hagstroms and my ibanez acoustic, which I adore. 1 electric, 1 semi hollow and an acoustic. That should keep me good for a long time!
Let us know how you like that Super Viking. I've got a Viking baritone and love it so much I was thinking of picking up another Hagstrom down the road.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
I restrung it and omg it's so nice. I'm loving the longer scale fretboard. I've been plucking away at it for a couple days and it's a very nice guitar. Especially for the price

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got my Boss Katana 50 Watt as a practice amp. I like it a lot, but after a dozen years of playing tube amps, it did take me a while to dial in the sound. I use a Fender Deluxe, which has a wonderfully warm tone and what they often describe as a 'creamy texture.' I forgot how solid state amps have this shrill quality to them that has to be worked out.

So, my goal was to try to first get a setting that will imitate my main sound on my pedal board and Fender HR Deluxe. What i use is a Boss Compressor, a Tube Screamer, and a Spring Reverb. The problem is that I don't see a way to get the compressor in before the Tube Screamer in the tone studio. Now, a compressor after OD doesn't sound bad at all, but it's not my preference. I want that rich, creamery butter. Odd they wouldn't give you that option.

As it stands, I keep it on 'clean' and use the booster for my dirt. It works great. I think this is a terrific amp for new guitar players, as it really educates them on how to set up you FX chain. For me, it's a good way to experiment and see what pedals I want to add to my board for my band setup. I finally got around to adding a tremelo. I went cheap because it's a tremelo, which is pretty straight forward. I love using Boss and TC Electronic pedals, but do I really need 100 dollars for such a simple effect?

Well, maybe so. Because this pedal I got is slightly noisy. Not bad at all, and the effect sounds great, but I wonder if I would experience the same thing with a high-end pedal. Oh well! (It's the Joyo Trem. I bought it based on a youtube recommendation... and I'll be real, because I didn't have a yellow pedal yet. lol)

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Curious what kind of strings folks like and use. I think the local luthier put standard D'addario lights on my guitar when he set it up. They've been fine but I'm up for exploring a little now that it's time to change them. Ordered a few different variations of lights (coated, wound third, Ernie Ball regulars) and a medium to try out. Have balanced lights on my old guitar but haven't messed with them much.

Depending on how I feel about those I have some others I'll try. Any other brands worth checking out? D'addario and Ernie Ball seem like the most popular ones.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious what kind of strings folks like and use. I think the local luthier put standard D'addario lights on my guitar when he set it up. They've been fine but I'm up for exploring a little now that it's time to change them. Ordered a few different variations of lights (coated, wound third, Ernie Ball regulars) and a medium to try out. Have balanced lights on my old guitar but haven't messed with them much.

Depending on how I feel about those I have some others I'll try. Any other brands worth checking out? D'addario and Ernie Ball seem like the most popular ones.

After playing Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9s most of my life, I've tried a few different styles in the past year.

I've settled mainly on nickel strings - like Gibson Pure Vintage - when I use traditional strings.

However, I've recently started using Thomastik Infeld flatwound strings, and have put them on most of my guitars. They feel amazing, last forever, and have a really amazing tone, especially with a lot of saturation or fuzz.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've been using Ernie Ball for 20 years. I don't know if they are considered quality strings anymore, but they've never let me down. Maybe I should try something else, huh?

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Question. I'm technically a beginner though I've invested most of my time learning lead guitar since I do most of my chords on a synth, but I want to add more rhythm guitar to my music. I know all the beginner open chords and the E and A barre chord patterns, but when I watch videos of people playing guitar they typically play chords in the middle or higher-note part of the fretboard, and I'm just not familiar with the chord shapes that they are using.

Are those chords that they've constructed based off whatever key they are working on or are there more chord shapes that I don't know yet? (I'm not talking about additional chord voicings like 7th, 9th, sus chords). Talking more about general chord shapes.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Are those chords that they've constructed based off whatever key they are working on or are there more chord shapes that I don't know yet? (I'm not talking about additional chord voicings like 7th, 9th, sus chords). Talking more about general chord shapes.

Each of your open chords are movable— the nut/open strings are fret 0. So the E chord is to the E-shape barre chord as the D chord is to the D-shape barre chord. If you are playing with a band, you don't need to play 5-6 strings of notes, other instruments are covering you— so from those shapes you can just take pieces— just need a root, third, and fifth for a chord.

e.g. make an E-shape C chord at the 8th fret; look at the notes you are playing on the second, third, and fourth strings. Just fret and play those.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I am absolutely wow'd by the Boss Katana. It's so responsive and dynamic for a solid state. Great head room, which means it plays really nice with my pedal board. The built-in effects, once you understand them, are also very high-quality.

The Overdrive booster pedal effects included in the system are really good. The Blues Driver and OD-1 copies really do the job well. I am a Tube Screamer guy, and they have a Tube Screamer setting on there, too, but obviously it's not going to be quite as accurate as their proprietary Boss effects, but it's still a great option. Kind of its own thing which is great. As for distortions, it has a lot of options. I'm fond of running a the TS clone with no gain as a booster into the Lead amp setting.

If you're into high gain, they also have a lot of distortion options. It has the DS1 and the infamous Metal Zone, which I still have from high school but it no longer works! So, it's fun for some nostalgia. I think Boss pedals, which I do love, have one big problem: They are professional level pedals. Why is that a problem? Well, because they have an incredible amount of versatility and if you are new to guitar, it can be a real pain to get the right tone and settings because of how many knobs are at work. I think that's the problem with the Metal Zone and why it's reputation is so poor despite being so popular. You CAN make that thing sound awesome. Just, there is a LOT to take into consideration and it takes a lot of tinkering. I feel like you can get a much simpler, cheaper pedal that maybe doesn't have as many options that will probably more easily fit what you are looking for. On my board, I use the TC Electronic Dark Matter. It's not really a heavy-metal distortion, but I recommend it. TCE is very good at giving a more simple interface for their pedals.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can no longer afford my guitar teacher so I have to learn online. What's ultimately the best I should go with? I see decent things about guitar tricks, rocksmith (although I would have to buy a mic since I only have a acoustic), yousician? I've been at it for like 8 months so I'm still pretty new but I have some basic form down

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017

D'addario 10-52's on my 6's and Ernie Ball Cobalt 10-62's on my 7's. Every now and then i'll chuck a set of Dunlop 10-60's on a 6 too when i'm bored for some lower than C stuff.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How hard is it to sell a used EMG 81/85 set? I'm getting my original 490R/T humbuckers put back in my LP and I'll have a set of 200 dollar pickups with nothing to do with em.

These pickups served me well when I played punk and metal, but I'm afraid they don't do much for me anymore.

Also, conspiracy theory: Boss Katana 50's price is kept artificially low in order to get folks to buy it because it works as an advertising/marketing platform for Boss effects, encouraging owners to buy them for their proper gigging tube amp.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
new unexpected acquisition. got what i consider to be a REALLY good price on this 1984 Gibson Explorer reissue from their Guitar of the Week thing back in 2007. They only made 400 of these and i've pretty much never seen them pop up for sale. This is pretty much Hetfield's original explorer.

oKFyzZq.jpg

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017

Saw the Hendrix Experience last Saturday and it was cool. Got a free 6th row ticket so had a good view. Highlights were Eric Johnson, Taj Mahal, and the Slide Brothers. The last quarter of the show was Joe Satriani which was fun but a very different vibe.

I picked up a MIM 2004 Stratocaster today for $100 off of Craigslist. He had it listed as excellent condition for $215 which is a good deal. When we met up, between his home and where we met the poly finish delaminated in huge chunks and cracks exposing the bare wood on the back. We both felt bad and he said he'd take $100. Now I've got another project guitar.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to go buy the Russian BIg Muff reissue whenever they get done swapping out the EMGs for the original pickups in my LP. I've listened to comparison vids and it has the most warm and creamy tone, which is what I want. Sucks that it's the lamest looking pedal in the lineup, though. lol

I'm curious, what's your favorite pedal on your board, Era? For me, it's easy: Tube Screamer. I can't believe how much 'life' it breathes into your guitar signal. Even if you drop the gain to the bottom.

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
I'm curious, what's your favorite pedal on your board, Era? For me, it's easy: Tube Screamer. I can't believe how much 'life' it breathes into your guitar signal. Even if you drop the gain to the bottom.

I used to have an awesome pedal board years ago, but it was stolen. I'm slowly rebuilding at the moment. I've got an mxr custom badass distortion, a boss blues driver, a boss chorus ensemble and a boss dd7 on there so far. Also a chromatic tuner. My favourite has to be my crybaby wah pedal. It's not actually mounted to my pedal board because it takes up so much space and I went with a more minimalist approach (so smaller pedal board)this time because I'm not gigging 200 times a year like I used to. I actually just place it on the floor next to my pedal board.

Had a new guitar day yesterday. I'll post a pic of my collection whenever I find out the easiest way to upload pictures without signing up for another service.

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The Walrus Audio Descent multi reverb. It was the first boutique pedal I saved up for and it hasn't left my board since. Can go from a subtle always-on reverb to huge ambient washes, not to mention having presets and octave up/down goodness.

Though funnily enough I just bought a Strymon Deco a few weeks ago, and it's threatening to usurp my no. 1 spot, heh. Super warm tape saturation/warble and double tracking that sounds ridiculous in stereo. Incredibly versatile but not a single bad sound in it.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
490's sound a lot better than my old EMG set. Although, I do kinda miss the EMG 85 in the neck. Talk about one hell of a great sound. lol That cost a ton of money to rewire and replace all the electornics in my LP. I got gouged as usual by the local shop. Not going to patronize their store anymore, even though they did an A+ job on the guitar. It's like a new guitar.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
I've never a pedal person, mostly because i concentrated so much on spending money on guitars that I figured pedals complicate things too much for me, though I've wanted to dabble. I got a Line 6 M13 stompbox modeler for free 11 years ago and thought that thing had tons of possibilities. i did snag this BD-2 for $20 last week! I am probably gonna try fiddling with the M13 again soon, it has been in the closet for a VERY long time.

TPZ7VtN.jpg

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never a pedal person, mostly because i concentrated so much on spending money on guitars that I figured pedals complicate things too much for me, though I've wanted to dabble. I got a Line 6 M13 stompbox modeler for free 11 years ago and thought that thing had tons of possibilities. i did snag this BD-2 for $20 last week! I am probably gonna try fiddling with the M13 again soon, it has been in the closet for a VERY long time.

TPZ7VtN.jpg

Blues Driver is one hell of an OD. Getting that for 20 dollars is one of the best deals I've ever heard of in my life. lol

Speaking of pedals, I recently bought this cheap (ish) Chinese pedal after seeing folks raving about how good it was, especially for the money. It has a stylish look and a solid construction, so if it works as intended, you can strike gold.

61PpDqO46AL._SX425_.jpg

It's just your standard echo delay, but it serves me well. I think it comes down to an ethical problem, as this pedal most assuredly is a copy of another more reputable company's design. Also, talk to me in 6 months and see if this purchase is still working so great for me, lol!

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
new unexpected acquisition. got what i consider to be a REALLY good price on this 1984 Gibson Explorer reissue from their Guitar of the Week thing back in 2007. They only made 400 of these and i've pretty much never seen them pop up for sale. This is pretty much Hetfield's original explorer.

Jelly. The explorer is one of my favorite designs. I have 2 of them, one is an Epiphone goth 58 explorer, and the other is a Gibson Explorer faded. They look so much better without a pick guard and I'm glad my gibson doesn't have one.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
Jelly. The explorer is one of my favorite designs. I have 2 of them, one is an Epiphone goth 58 explorer, and the other is a Gibson Explorer faded. They look so much better without a pick guard and I'm glad my gibson doesn't have one.

yeah, the toggle switch route in the typical location on the forward point makes the design less clean than just using the back route for all controls. Gibson is showing they're back on the right track, it would be nice to see them issue Explorers and Vs with matching white headstocks again.

Last edited:

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got my new pedal today! EHX Big Muff Pi (Op-Amp Reissue). Like, I usually feel a bit of disappointment with a new pedal, as you usually have to really work with them until you finally learn how to get a good sound out of them, but my God... this is a game-changer.

Before this, I inherited a cheap DOD Fuzz pedal. (Flashback Fuzz) and I thought Fuzz just wasn't for me. But, this is different. It's powerful, but not shrill, (too) noisy, or muddy. It's that Pinkerton (Tired of Sex) sound right out of the box. New favorite pedal, easily. Best looking pedal I have, as well. It sounds great in my practice combo, but on my Fender HRD it really sings.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Playing by myself at home all the time is great, but so boring. I signed up for group adult lessons at this place by me that does concerts every 2 weeks. It's all acoustic, but should be fun. I have nothing else to do Monday nights anyway!

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have gold hardware and ever tried to do anything to polish it? I have used metal polish on chrome hardware with great success, but I seem to recall that that is a bad idea with gold hardware? Have a bit of oxidization on my 2002 PRS. Should I just ignore what is there and start wiping it down more regularly to slow it getting worse, or is there a gold safe polish I can go for?

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
Anyone have gold hardware and ever tried to do anything to polish it? I have used metal polish on chrome hardware with great success, but I seem to recall that that is a bad idea with gold hardware? Have a bit of oxidization on my 2002 PRS. Should I just ignore what is there and start wiping it down more regularly to slow it getting worse, or is there a gold safe polish I can go for?

Definitely wipe it down more regularly. I can't help about gold safe polishes, even though I have two guitars with gold hardware myself, so you might want to wait for someone else to chime in. Most regular guitar hardware polishes will eat away the gold plating, fwiw.

I'm not a prs guy, so I have no experience with their hardware, but do you have a stop bar or trem? If you have a stop bar, you could probably test it out on the underside of that first.