• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Got Ebay sniped by a bot on a Marshall Shredmaster yesterday. Kinda pissed me off because if it hadn't I'd have gotten it for $85 shipped, but at least I was able to get a clone Shredmaster on Reverb for $50 so I'm happy enough.

Next up is a DOD Rubberneck. Been trying to get one for under $140, but it hasn't been easy. Cheapest I've seen one sell for since I started looking is $130, but I'd have had to have driven 2 hrs to pick it up.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
so I've always used my own amps and Overloud's amp sims (TH), what do you all use in terms of amp sims? Always found Overloud's to be perfect for me but I've never been in the loop with all the sims. What's the consensus nowadays? I use TH-U Metal mostly.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
so I've always used my own amps and Overloud's amp sims (TH), what do you all use in terms of amp sims? Always found Overloud's to be perfect for me but I've never been in the loop with all the sims. What's the consensus nowadays? I use TH-U Metal mostly.
i've plini's archetype (by neurel dsp) for cleans, ambience etc. and will putney's guitar suite by STL tones for dirty crazy metal madness.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I have tendinitis in both hands, but unfortunately it is worse in my left (fretting hand). I purchased a used Seagull off Craigslist, but even with the wide neck I'm having difficulties.

Anyone have suggestions for a electric-nylon string? I play mostly blues and R&B but I don't really do any bending so that's not much of an issue.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got Ebay sniped by a bot on a Marshall Shredmaster yesterday. Kinda pissed me off because if it hadn't I'd have gotten it for $85 shipped, but at least I was able to get a clone Shredmaster on Reverb for $50 so I'm happy enough.

Next up is a DOD Rubberneck. Been trying to get one for under $140, but it hasn't been easy. Cheapest I've seen one sell for since I started looking is $130, but I'd have had to have driven 2 hrs to pick it up.

I love how DOD has rebranded their look to being super minimalist and tasteful after years of being hideously bold in their design. I've had my eye on the Rubberneck for a while. Analog delay with tap delay is a feature players seem to be demanding more and more lately. It's not really something that would be useful to me, as I like to use delay as a subtle effect that you could use 'always-on' if you wanted to. I have come to realize that I'm into simple effects. I have a really fancy digital reverb with near limitless options, and I keep that thing on simple plate reverb 99.9% of the time. Good to have the options, though.

So, I recently paid a lot of money (Was gouged, basically) to get my old pickups and all new electronics put in my old Les Paul Studio. (I had EMGs I put in when I was 18) And while I think I paid $50 more than I should have been charged, I can't deny the fact that it's now my best sounding and playing guitar. Not only that, but I love the way it looks. Here is the model, although it's not a pic of my specific guitar, because my phone camera is garbo lol. ( Here's mine, for reference )

t6kncil6b7meoxu4v9b4.jpg

It has no binding, and an ebony fretboard with no inlays... and I think it work for it. When I bought this, I was a teen and thought binding looked lame, like a grandpa guitar. Since then, having owned a gibson guitar with binding and watching how it ages, I've come to appreciate it better. However, not bad here. Gives it a real 'black and orange' vibe throughout. The only thing I think is kinda weak about it is the screen-printed gibson logo. I think the inlayed logo is just cool as hell. It has all 50's specs, which is cool with me. I like the 50's neck.

And I see on the internet how Gibson's brand image is in the toilet. Lots of memes going on... 'play authentic' and so on. lol And there is some truth to the criticisms. Like most US built guitars, they ARE overpriced. And they have several issues regarding tuning and durability. But... there's something I cant explain about a good Les Paul/SG. They got a little 'magic' to them. Nothing quite sounds the same to my ears.

Deleted member 55568

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
And I see on the internet how Gibson's brand image is in the toilet. Lots of memes going on... 'play authentic' and so on. lol And there is some truth to the criticisms. Like most US built guitars, they ARE overpriced. And they have several issues regarding tuning and durability. But... there's something I cant explain about a good Les Paul/SG. They got a little 'magic' to them. Nothing quite sounds the same to my ears.
A person's relationship with their guitar is a personal thing, and fuck anyone who thinks you need to justify it to them. Your instrument should be one you want to pick up, and it doesn't matter why. It can be the look, the sound, the feel in your hands, or anything else.

I lucked out, since all I've ever cared about was having a Lake Placid Blue Strat, and you can get a used one of those for like $650. But even if it had been $5,000, I'd have saved for years to get one, because the look of that instrument in that color just speaks to me.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A person's relationship with their guitar is a personal thing, and fuck anyone who thinks you need to justify it to them. Your instrument should be one you want to pick up, and it doesn't matter why. It can be the look, the sound, the feel in your hands, or anything else.

I lucked out, since all I've ever cared about was having a Lake Placid Blue Strat, and you can get a used one of those for like $650. But even if it had been $5,000, I'd have saved for years to get one, because the look of that instrument in that color just speaks to me.

Ah, like this one? :
images

I love that color. It reminds me of those vibrant colors you'd see on instruments in the 90's. It gives me a real nostalgic feel back when you'd go to the local guitar shop and see these slick looking Yamaha basses with this kind of finish. I still have my midnight-blue Fender Jazz from the late 90's.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Exactly like that, only with a rosewood fretboard.

I like a maple fretboard on a Tele, but I want something darker on basically everything else.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I like a maple fretboard on a Tele, but I want something darker on basically everything else.

I prefer the look and easy maintenance of maple fretboards on fenders, but I don't really like the feel of it. I feel like I'm out of control, if that makes any sense. Like how it feels if you've ever gone driving barefoot.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Picked up a few new pedals.

Marshall Shredmaster clone. It's OK. Honestly it's a little disappointing. I guess I'm just not as good as Jonny....It basically just sound like a "shitty tone box". That has some uses, but I was hoping I could get a little better JMC sound out of it. Frankly, I haven't had much success with "amps in a box". The only one I like so far is a Boss Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb. That thing is sexy. On a glassy fender amp it just makes you want to play Dick Dale covers all night. I kinda want to try a Wampler 30 something. Currently my main amp is a Vox Ac15. The reason I want a decent amp in a box so bad is because I don't really have a good way to record and I think amp sims sound kinda crappy. So my strategy is to get a decent amp in a box and a speaker IR for Bias 2 (the amp sim I use to record).

EQD Dispatch Master. I just got this today actually. Traded a Holy Grail Neo and Small Stone Nano for it. I was really sceptical at first. The only reason I did was because I just never use those two pedals (prefer either amp reverb or my 65 Deluxe Reverb pedal). But I'm ever so slightly of EQD's stuff anyway. Their build quality is good, but when I get them home I'm always a little disappointed and think they're ever so slightly thin sounding. This thing is really gorgeous though. I'm pretty sure it's a V1, but it's really luscious and makes really fantastic clouds of sound that are totally useful (unlike some of their other pedals - Transmisser for example). I suspect I'll get a lot of good use out of it. Looking to build an Arpanoid clone soon and I bet it sounds good with that.

I love how DOD has rebranded their look to being super minimalist and tasteful after years of being hideously bold in their design. I've had my eye on the Rubberneck for a while. Analog delay with tap delay is a feature players seem to be demanding more and more lately. It's not really something that would be useful to me, as I like to use delay as a subtle effect that you could use 'always-on' if you wanted to. I have come to realize that I'm into simple effects. I have a really fancy digital reverb with near limitless options, and I keep that thing on simple plate reverb 99.9% of the time. Good to have the options, though.

So I finally got one! Got it on Reverb for $120. I'm pretty happy with that price. Hasn't come in yet, but I'll let you know what I think. I have two separate pedalboard and this one is going on my second one. My first one just has my basic necessities for lead/rhythm - Klone -> Muff op-amp -> RE20 -> DD7 -> looper. This serves my needs 75% of the time. The second one is for loop warping, and again the Rubberneck will go on there. Once it comes in I'll have to find a place for it. Probably though it'll be close to the end.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I prefer the look and easy maintenance of maple fretboards on fenders, but I don't really like the feel of it. I feel like I'm out of control, if that makes any sense. Like how it feels if you've ever gone driving barefoot.
I don't have too much experiencing actually playing on maple. It does seem a little off to me, but that's because I knew I was going to ultimately end up with rosewood, so both of my beginner guitars had rosewood, because I wanted that to be what felt like "home".

I have a similar thing going on with string gauges. I play 8s, which is unusual, but anything else feels weird to me, because I've almost exclusively played 8s.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a few new pedals.

Marshall Shredmaster clone. It's OK. Honestly it's a little disappointing. I guess I'm just not as good as Jonny....It basically just sound like a "shitty tone box". That has some uses, but I was hoping I could get a little better JMC sound out of it. Frankly, I haven't had much success with "amps in a box". The only one I like so far is a Boss Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb. That thing is sexy. On a glassy fender amp it just makes you want to play Dick Dale covers all night. I kinda want to try a Wampler 30 something. Currently my main amp is a Vox Ac15. The reason I want a decent amp in a box so bad is because I don't really have a good way to record and I think amp sims sound kinda crappy. So my strategy is to get a decent amp in a box and a speaker IR for Bias 2 (the amp sim I use to record).

EQD Dispatch Master. I just got this today actually. Traded a Holy Grail Neo and Small Stone Nano for it. I was really sceptical at first. The only reason I did was because I just never use those two pedals (prefer either amp reverb or my 65 Deluxe Reverb pedal). But I'm ever so slightly of EQD's stuff anyway. Their build quality is good, but when I get them home I'm always a little disappointed and think they're ever so slightly thin sounding. This thing is really gorgeous though. I'm pretty sure it's a V1, but it's really luscious and makes really fantastic clouds of sound that are totally useful (unlike some of their other pedals - Transmisser for example). I suspect I'll get a lot of good use out of it. Looking to build an Arpanoid clone soon and I bet it sounds good with that.

So I finally got one! Got it on Reverb for $120. I'm pretty happy with that price. Hasn't come in yet, but I'll let you know what I think. I have two separate pedalboard and this one is going on my second one. My first one just has my basic necessities for lead/rhythm - Klone -> Muff op-amp -> RE20 -> DD7 -> looper. This serves my needs 75% of the time. The second one is for loop warping, and again the Rubberneck will go on there. Once it comes in I'll have to find a place for it. Probably though it'll be close to the end.

I feel that. I've thought of getting a compact pedal board. I have a lot of redundancies in my chain right now that wouldn't be practical or necessary while gigging. For example, I don't need two ODs and I don't really need both the RAT and Big Muff Op Amp. They can do different things, but they also cross over into a lot of the others' territory. The RAT is a fuzzy distortion, and the Big Muff is a distortiony-Fuzz, after all. Especially if you disengage the tone controls. It sounds remarkably RATish. And my two OD's sound very similar. I was using one for a gainy OD sound and the other as more of a boost. But, I kinda like the tone of the the Tube Screamer with no gain as my basic OD sound, since I like to boost with a sustainer anyway.

So while I'm doing this, my chorus, wah, and trem effects are off the board. So, I think I could make better use of my board sonically if I would eliminate the redundancies and split them off into separate, more portable board for different applications.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
I feel that. I've thought of getting a compact pedal board. I have a lot of redundancies in my chain right now that wouldn't be practical or necessary while gigging. For example, I don't need two ODs and I don't really need both the RAT and Big Muff Op Amp. They can do different things, but they also cross over into a lot of the others' territory. The RAT is a fuzzy distortion, and the Big Muff is a distortiony-Fuzz, after all. Especially if you disengage the tone controls. It sounds remarkably RATish. And my two OD's sound very similar. I was using one for a gainy OD sound and the other as more of a boost. But, I kinda like the tone of the the Tube Screamer with no gain as my basic OD sound, since I like to boost with a sustainer anyway.

So while I'm doing this, my chorus, wah, and trem effects are off the board. So, I think I could make better use of my board sonically if I would eliminate the redundancies and split them off into separate, more portable board for different applications.

Stripping down my pedalboard for playing with others was pretty freeing. My main problem has always been too many echo pedals!

You know in the years I've played guitar I've never played a Tubescreamer.... And it's one of the most famous pedals too. For a stronger overdrive I've always used a Boss SD1. But even that I don't use much anymore as a good Klone is perfect for how I play.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stripping down my pedalboard for playing with others was pretty freeing. My main problem has always been too many echo pedals!

You know in the years I've played guitar I've never played a Tubescreamer.... And it's one of the most famous pedals too. For a stronger overdrive I've always used a Boss SD1. But even that I don't use much anymore as a good Klone is perfect for how I play.

If you tried an SD1, you've pretty much tried a Tube Screamer. They both do the same thing, although the control range is a bit different. I tried out the Soul Food, and I liked it a lot. I chose between it and the TS and I went with the TS because I liked the tone of the muted notes better. I still might get a Klone yet. My understanding is that it's not one of those overdrives that is particularly hard to copy.

Oct 26, 2017
Marshall Shredmaster clone. It's OK. Honestly it's a little disappointing. I guess I'm just not as good as Jonny....It basically just sound like a "shitty tone box".
I have an original Shredmaster and I'd bet you would be disappointed as well if you tried one out. It's nothing amazing really but it can be a nice hi gain distortion if paired with the right kind of amp. Not surprised you find the tone shitty if you tried it with an AC15, they really don't work well together. I've always found that these kind of distortion pedals play much nicer with straight sounding amps. There's a reason Greenwood was using that small transistor Fender eighty five.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
If you tried an SD1, you've pretty much tried a Tube Screamer. They both do the same thing, although the control range is a bit different. I tried out the Soul Food, and I liked it a lot. I chose between it and the TS and I went with the TS because I liked the tone of the muted notes better. I still might get a Klone yet. My understanding is that it's not one of those overdrives that is particularly hard to copy.

You know a Soul Food is a type of Klone? If you're interested in one my recommendation is to pick up a cheepo Mosky Golden Pony ($14) on Aliexpress and see how you like it. If you like it get a higher end one - the best value/sound being the Wampler Tumnus.

I have an original Shredmaster and I'd bet you would be disappointed as well if you tried one out. It's nothing amazing really but it can be a nice hi gain distortion if paired with the right kind of amp. Not surprised you find the tone shitty if you tried it with an AC15, they really don't work well together. I've always found that these kind of distortion pedals play much nicer with straight sounding amps. There's a reason Greenwood was using that small transistor Fender eighty five.

Yeah they're a bit oil and water. Historically I've always had trouble finding good distortion pedals I liked for the long haul. I've only ever had Voxes and glassy Fender amps so maybe that's the reason. Really kinda just wanted it because I wanted to see what the fuss was about.

You know, his set up is weird to me. I have a Fender Starcaster too (a reissue though) and I don't think it sounds particularly awesome out of a Vox AC15 (never tried it on an AC30). It sound much better out of a Fender Deluxe Reverb (a "baby" Twin Reverb). I know he has a Twin Reverb, but I don't think he uses it much.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know a Soul Food is a type of Klone? If you're interested in one my recommendation is to pick up a cheepo Mosky Golden Pony ($14) on Aliexpress and see how you like it. If you like it get a higher end one - the best value/sound being the Wampler Tumnus.

Yeah they're a bit oil and water. Historically I've always had trouble finding good distortion pedals I liked for the long haul. I've only ever had Voxes and glassy Fender amps so maybe that's the reason. Really kinda just wanted it because I wanted to see what the fuss was about.

You know, his set up is weird to me. I have a Fender Starcaster too (a reissue though) and I don't think it sounds particularly awesome out of a Vox AC15 (never tried it on an AC30). It sound much better out of a Fender Deluxe Reverb (a "baby" Twin Reverb). I know he has a Twin Reverb, but I don't think he uses it much.

Yeah, man! I didn't know it was a Klone when I played it. Then, I saw a video on youtube that said "Klone shootout" and it was one of em. So was the Mosky Golden Pony!

I hear great things about the Golden Pony, believe it or not. For 14 dollars, why not? Cheap Chinese pedals are fun. I love my RAT, but it's not nearly as fun as the Black Secret was, lol! Damn loud-ass switch.

Last edited:

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Yeah, man! I didn't know it was a Klone when I played it. Then, I saw a video on youtube that said "Klone shootout" and it was one of em. So was the Mosky Golden Pony!

I hear great things about the Golden Pony, believe it or not. For 14 dollars, why not? Cheap Chinese pedals are fun. I love my RAT, but it's not nearly as fun as the Black Secret was, lol! Damn loud-ass switch.

It's kinda long, but the Pedal Show blind Klone test is pretty good too.

Some people say that they can't tell the difference between a Mosky and higher end one. I don't think that's true - to me they clearly sound thin and less dynamic, but they're still great to check out if you want to see if it's the type of overdrive you like. I've never played an original (or a Klon KTR), but I like the ARC Effects and Wampler Tumnus quite a bit.

Yeah after we talked about if before I felt compelled to pick up a cheepo Rat clone so I got a Myomorpha. It's OK. I like it better now than when I had a Rat before, but it's still not really for me.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda long, but the Pedal Show blind Klone test is pretty good too.

Some people say that they can't tell the difference between a Mosky and higher end one. I don't think that's true - to me they clearly sound thin and less dynamic, but they're still great to check out if you want to see if it's the type of overdrive you like. I've never played an original (or a Klon KTR), but I like the ARC Effects and Wampler Tumnus quite a bit.

Yeah after we talked about if before I felt compelled to pick up a cheepo Rat clone so I got a Myomorpha. It's OK. I like it better now than when I had a Rat before, but it's still not really for me.

In my experiences, it's not enough to just 'hear' a pedal. You gotta 'feel' how it responds to your specific play. One man's trash is another man's treasure, as they say. I'm sure you bought a RAT because you liked the way it sounded on some of your favorite records or you heard about its reputation as a legendary pedal. But when you got it in your rig, it just wasn't right for you.

Like, I hate the DS-1. But there are pros playing on the biggest stages in the world on some of the most influential records of all time that swear by it. TO me, the DS-1 sounds like it's out of breath, if that makes sense. It's meaty in a repulsive way. And I could totally see how someone could play the RAT and think it sounds dull and muddy, even though it's my favorite distortion pedal right now.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yep. I feel like I have improved more the last couple of years since I got my dream guitar than in all my previous years combined. All that matters is you have a guitar, or guitars, that inspires you to pick it up and play. I have played guitars by pretty much every company that I like. Of course I have my preference, but if I could I'd own Fenders, Gibsons, PRS's, Ibanez, Taylor... I can find something from every company that I'd love to have.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
In my experiences, it's not enough to just 'hear' a pedal. You gotta 'feel' how it responds to your specific play. One man's trash is another man's treasure, as they say. I'm sure you bought a RAT because you liked the way it sounded on some of your favorite records or you heard about its reputation as a legendary pedal. But when you got it in your rig, it just wasn't right for you.

Like, I hate the DS-1. But there are pros playing on the biggest stages in the world on some of the most influential records of all time that swear by it. TO me, the DS-1 sounds like it's out of breath, if that makes sense. It's meaty in a repulsive way. And I could totally see how someone could play the RAT and think it sounds dull and muddy, even though it's my favorite distortion pedal right now.

You're totally right, but I guess my issue is that when I play one it just make me want to jam out metal riffs intsinctively. There's nothing wrong with this in and of itself, it's just that what I mentally want to play is somewhere on the surf -> psych -> alternative spectrum. So I don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with it tonally (it's pretty dope actually - it has a really nice chunky sound), but it's just the wrong vibe for what I want to do. Every time I ask someone for a recommendation on a new pedal I always say, "What's a good distortion pedal for someone who doesn't really want a distortion pedal?" lols.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

My old green meanie was the first pedal I ever bought, it finally died after 20 odd years last year. I remember getting it and being really disappointed in it, they don't really do that much with the 80's style solid state amp I had at the time, more of a volume boost with a bit of light breakup or some really scuzzy sounding almost fuzzy distortion but not much inbetween, you really didn't get that warm overdriven lead sound. When I finally got a tube amp (a 4th hand Fender Tweed) it really kicked into gear. Man, I miss that pedal.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Good news bad news. The good news is that I picked up a Line 6 DK4 for only $100! The bad news is that I lost a $100 bill on the way to pick it up. My tears are both for joy and sadness.

My old green meanie was the first pedal I ever bought, it finally died after 20 odd years last year. I remember getting it and being really disappointed in it, they don't really do that much with the 80's style solid state amp I had at the time, more of a volume boost with a bit of light breakup or some really scuzzy sounding almost fuzzy distortion but not much inbetween, you really didn't get that warm overdriven lead sound. When I finally got a tube amp (a 4th hand Fender Tweed) it really kicked into gear. Man, I miss that pedal.

RIP, but sounds like it had a long life. What have you been playing with now? I saw a couple of months ago that there were going to be a rerun of Tubescreamers made buy the guy who first designed them. Maybe something to look into.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Good news bad news. The good news is that I picked up a Line 6 DK4 for only $100! The bad news is that I lost a $100 bill on the way to pick it up. My tears are both for joy and sadness.

RIP, but sounds like it had a long life. What have you been playing with now? I saw a couple of months ago that there were going to be a rerun of Tubescreamers made buy the guy who first designed them. Maybe something to look into.

The thing was a tank. I picked up a Electro-Harmonix East River drive which is pretty decent. It's not really the same. I've heard some really good things about the JHS Bonsai so I might try to pick one up (it's got a bunch of tubescreamer type circuits in it). My gigging days are pretty much done so I'm a bit happier with some multi function pedals. Unless you're using programmable effects, when you're gigging I tend to find you go for stuff you can dial one maybe two sounds into because who's got time to faff about between songs. I did a swap last year with an original whammy for a Strymon Big Sky which may be the greatest pedal I've ever had, because I love washy reverb.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
The thing was a tank. I picked up a Electro-Harmonix East River drive which is pretty decent. It's not really the same. I've heard some really good things about the JHS Bonsai so I might try to pick one up (it's got a bunch of tubescreamer type circuits in it). My gigging days are pretty much done so I'm a bit happier with some multi function pedals. Unless you're using programmable effects, when you're gigging I tend to find you go for stuff you can dial one maybe two sounds into because who's got time to faff about between songs. I did a swap last year with an original whammy for a Strymon Big Sky which may be the greatest pedal I've ever had, because I love washy reverb.

Yeah I'd like to get a Strymon El Capistan one day. Everyone seems to have a Strymon on their boards these days. They're great sounding for sure. And I'm feeling you about a single dial - I'm the same way. I have a couple of settings max on each one.

Have you seen these Maxon Tubescreamer reissues? Not sure if it's a gimmick or not, but it makes me want one! Otherwise, check out a good Klone if you've never played one - that could be a good solution to your overdrive needs.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Sonar is free now!? I was browsing for popular DAWs and just discovered this, and the fact it isn't called Sonar any more. I just downloaded it and it seems pretty nice. How the hell is this free now!?

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Sonar is free now!? I was browsing for popular DAWs and just discovered this, and the fact it isn't called Sonar any more. I just downloaded it and it seems pretty nice. How the hell is this free now!?
Cakewalk was owned by Gibson, who went bankrupt, and sold to BandLab. Whose main business is I think cloud storage for music?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up guitar about two months ago when my parents moved out of their old house and my little brother's Jay Turser strat that had been gathering dust in the basement went up for grabs. Maybe I'm crazy, but I started by learning a tab for megalovania, and then continued on to a bunch of other Undertale songs. I've maybe been practicing too much lol. Over the past few weeks I must have consumed hours of guitar tips, tutorials, lessons and memes on youtube. Even picked up a couple of lesson books from my local guitar center.

A lot of "tips for beginners" videos on yt recommend prioritising quality practice over just learning songs, so I've put a hold on my song learning to study fundamentals, read sheet music and practice with dexterity and strength exercises.

All I can say is that I'm having a fucking blast.

Today, for my birthday, my parents bought me a beautiful Fender Modern Player telecaster off of reverb (total came to only $393 and it came with the hard case!)

Pic of guitar:
735lG5X.jpg

It's kind of funny, because I think my enthusiasm for picking guitar up has rubbed off on both my roommate and boyfriend, who both used to play guitar and fell off over the years for whatever reason. My BF desperately wants to buy a new guitar now and my roommate has been teaching me songs on his really nice Taylor acoustic.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
So the DOD Rubberneck came in today, but I'm having a hell of a time getting it to sound anything like it does in the videos.... Anyone have one and have any advice?

edit:

Figured out the problem. Didn't like my AC15, but loved my little Fender Champion 600. Who'd have figured? I guess it just needs a very glassy amp.

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Something to look at if you are popping strings at that end and can't see any obvious burrs in the saddles you have, otherwise wouldn't worry about it.

Ok, cool. Then maybe I should put some of the money I was gonna spend on saddles towards new pickups for my strat. There are so many options though, so idk where to even start there.

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
I have tendinitis in both hands, but unfortunately it is worse in my left (fretting hand). I purchased a used Seagull off Craigslist, but even with the wide neck I'm having difficulties.

Anyone have suggestions for a electric-nylon string? I play mostly blues and R&B but I don't really do any bending so that's not much of an issue.

I can't help you, but I'm quoting this incase someone who can offer some advice missed your post.

That would look really nice with a black pickguard. I've got a fender p bass in candy Apple red, but it came with a white guard and I've been thinking about changing it out for a black one for years. Might just do that next time I restring it.

For example, I don't need two ODs

I've never been able to find an overdrive pedal that I can plug into a clean amp and get a sound that I'm happy with. I used to just use multi channel amps, but when I came to Japan, my wife bought me the Marshall class 5 halfstack as a present.

There's no way I can crank that thing in a Japanese apartment, so I bought and sold a few overdrive pedals.

None of them sounded any good to me. But recently, I stumbled across a really nice overdriven sound. Turns out, a blend of two overdriven pedals with the gain turned down low on both gave me a sound I was happy with. Got a boss blues driver and an mxr custom badass 78 blended together and I can finally say I'm happy with my overdriven sound. Shame it takes up two spaces on my pedalboard, though.

Yep. I feel like I have improved more the last couple of years since I got my dream guitar than in all my previous years combined.

I got my first Les Paul when I was 17 (now 32), but I'll agree with this. After saving up and putting down a fair chunk of cash for a guitar I love, my playing improved rapidly. For years, you couldn't get that thing off my shoulder... Until another few showed up. I played that thing so much, the bridge turned green. I'll need to post a picture of the original bridge one day. It's no longer my favourite guitar (that would probably be my white custom), but I'll always cherish it.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been able to find an overdrive pedal that I can plug into a clean amp and get a sound that I'm happy with. I used to just use multi channel amps, but when I came to Japan, my wife bought me the Marshall class 5 halfstack as a present.

There's no way I can crank that thing in a Japanese apartment, so I bought and sold a few overdrive pedals.

None of them sounded any good to me. But recently, I stumbled across a really nice overdriven sound. Turns out, a blend of two overdriven pedals with the gain turned down low on both gave me a sound I was happy with. Got a boss blues driver and an mxr custom badass 78 blended together and I can finally say I'm happy with my overdriven sound. Shame it takes up two spaces on my pedalboard, though.

I get that. I don't like an OD by itself, either. I like to boost OD with a Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer. It pushes the signal just enough to get a suitably thick texture.

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
My wife surprised me with a Epiphone 1984 Explorer in black over the weekend. She knew I'd wanted an explorer for years so with a little research help from my dad she made it happen. Super happy with it.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe— what's wrong with the pickups that are in it?

Well, it's a cheap Jay Turser imitation strat, probably sold for around $150 or so. As far as I can tell, the pickups on these sorts of guitars tend to be lackluster? The fact that you can get cheap pickup sets for around $100 from some companies nowadays has me considering an upgrade over buying a whole new instrument.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
As far as I can tell, the pickups on these sorts of guitars tend to be lackluster?

Oh, right— Strat —I thought you were talking about your new guitar. Yes, new pickups will improve it, but my question still stands though: what's wrong with the ones that are in it? If you can't identify what you dislike, how do you select something better? e.g. do you want something brighter? more output? less output?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Boss SY-1 is going to sell out quick. People are going crazy over it. My youtube recommendations blew up with SY-1 reviews/demos. I trust it... give me a good circuit in a boss pedal format and I'm in.

I know if I bought it, I wouldn't find much use for it. That's what the Super Shifter was like for me. A cool toy, but not a useful tool as far as I was concerned.

It's down my list of pedals I need. Need a good analog delay first. Probably either Carbon Copy, Memory Boy, or Boss Analog Delay. Does MXR have a 5-year warranty? if not, I think that decides for me.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been coveting the Mark Holcomb signature PRS for over a year now and my family surprised me with one as a graduation present. I've played one before and it checks all the boxes for me. The pickups are absolutely incredible and give my bareknuckles a run for their money. They picked one with a pretty gnarly quilt on it:

Probably gonna swap that truss rod cover at some point but everything else about it is *chef kiss*

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been coveting the Mark Holcomb signature PRS for over a year now and my family surprised me with one as a graduation present. I've played one before and it checks all the boxes for me. The pickups are absolutely incredible and give my bareknuckles a run for their money. They picked one with a pretty gnarly quilt on it:

Probably gonna swap that truss rod cover at some point but everything else about it is *chef kiss*

ARe those EMG 81/85s? EDIT: Oh nevermind. I blew up the picture and didn't notice they were just passive humbuckers. Sweet guitar, my dude!

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
OK everyone, looking for some help in ordering a bunch of echo/reverb pedals. The pedals in question are:

1. Boss RE20
  2. Boss DD7
  3. Boss TE2
  4. DOD Rubberneck
  5. Line 6 DL4 (which I essentially use mainly for the sweep)
  6. EQD Dispatch Maker
  7. EQD Rainbow Machine
  8. EQD Transmisser
They are currently spread out over two boards, and their order relative to each other (but exlusding things like drive, distortion etc) is:

Board 1: TE2 -> DD7 -> R20 -> DL4 -> Dispatch Maker ->
Board 2: Rubberneck ->Rainbow Machine -> Transmisser

I'm not opposed to switching which boards they're on.

Anyway, interested in seeing how you'd problem solve this!

That Boss SY-1 is going to sell out quick. People are going crazy over it. My youtube recommendations blew up with SY-1 reviews/demos. I trust it... give me a good circuit in a boss pedal format and I'm in.

I know if I bought it, I wouldn't find much use for it. That's what the Super Shifter was like for me. A cool toy, but not a useful tool as far as I was concerned.

It's down my list of pedals I need. Need a good analog delay first. Probably either Carbon Copy, Memory Boy, or Boss Analog Delay. Does MXR have a 5-year warranty? if not, I think that decides for me.

That looks hot, but I'm feeling you. I felt the way about the Boss TE-2 when I picked it up. Thought it was useless for about a year.... but then I really got it and found it to be so much more versitile than I had originally thought. In isolation is can be overwhelming, but in a mix it just gives you really subtle textures.

As far as analog delay I wouldn't get a Memory Boy. Their analog sound isn't as nice as a Memory Man - which I would recommend. I also recently picked up Rubberneck, and while it was a pain in the ass to get to sound nice (and uses AC power) is a really nice analog delay pedal.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK everyone, looking for some help in ordering a bunch of echo/reverb pedals. The pedals in question are:

1. Boss RE20
  2. Boss DD7
  3. Boss TE2
  4. DOD Rubberneck
  5. Line 6 DL4 (which I essentially use mainly for the sweep)
  6. EQD Dispatch Maker
  7. EQD Rainbow Machine
  8. EQD Transmisser
They are currently spread out over two boards, and their order relative to each other (but exlusding things like drive, distortion etc) is:

Board 1: TE2 -> DD7 -> R20 -> DL4 -> Dispatch Maker ->
Board 2: Rubberneck ->Rainbow Machine -> Transmisser

I'm not opposed to switching which boards they're on.

Anyway, interested in seeing how you'd problem solve this!

That looks hot, but I'm feeling you. I felt the way about the Boss TE-2 when I picked it up. Thought it was useless for about a year.... but then I really got it and found it to be so much more versitile than I had originally thought. In isolation is can be overwhelming, but in a mix it just gives you really subtle textures.

As far as analog delay I wouldn't get a Memory Boy. Their analog sound isn't as nice as a Memory Man - which I would recommend. I also recently picked up Rubberneck, and while it was a pain in the ass to get to sound nice (and uses AC power) is a really nice analog delay pedal.

Memory man is too damn big. I'm pretty much set on the Carbon Copy, i think. Pretty common on the used market, too.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Must have been cool. It sold out before I could click the link lol

I'm probably going to list my MIJ 80's boss PH-2 soon. I just... don't like phasers.

Oh hmmm it was just a glow in the dark/black lights Carbon Copy. You can see them easily enough on Reverb.

I can't find a phaser I like either. Traded my Small Stone nano for a Dispatch Maker last week. There's a 4-stage phaser PCB you can guy that looks pretty cool. I'm gonna build my first pedal tomorrow. If it goes well it'll be something I add to the queue.