• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I just brought a basic guitar to start learning on (been thinking about trying to play for a while now).
What good internet resources do people use to help play, wanting to play more punk/ pop-punk sort of music?

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I just brought a basic guitar to start learning on (been thinking about trying to play for a while now).
What good internet resources do people use to help play, wanting to play more punk/ pop-punk sort of music?
i'm old school so ultimateguitar.com would be my suggestion. they can be an utter nightmare though, trying to funnel you to their paid membership, but they host a lot of tabs.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017

You should be the Era guinea pig for fender play. It would be cool to see if it really works for a new player. I think it's $5/month right now.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm leaning on buying Rocksmith atm to learn with Justin guitars.
The only issue I've had with learning just using Internet resources/Rocksmith is that there's no actual feedback and it's easy to build up bad habits. Especially with Rocksmith. I'm still getting my long-term job situation sorted so I haven't started taking in-person lessons since I want to be able to set up a stable day and time, but I intend to just for the more personal feedback.

Seems like the best way to use Rocksmith is to split your output to both the game and an amp, and listen to the amp. That way you hear what you actually sound like and not the processed sound from the game. I don't have the stuff to do that so I haven't tried it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So I decided to buy a Two Notes cab m, as I want an easy way to play in my computer room. I'm not going to move my amp, and also want an easy way to play quietly that doesn't take up much space.

I still need to get a preamp pedal to go in front, but even with just an overdrive going into it, it sounds pretty good. It has built in cab simulation as well as amp power section simulation. The Two Notes software is also really good and somewhat easy to use, and have been adjusting all the settings using that instead of using the controls on the pedal itself. There were cheaper options like the Mooer Radar, but decided to go with this one because of the support and ease of use.

here it is, about the same size as a standard pedal. This is with just the overdrive and using headphones. Soon I'll have it setup with a nice preamp pedal and have it going into my mixer.
pk9fVBK.jpg

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I'm leaning on buying Rocksmith atm to learn with Justin guitars.
You can do Rocksmith with headphones and adjust the mix to make sure you hear enough of your own playing. No need to output to an amp, IMO. I highly recommend it. It does not teach you how to practice your chords shapes, or many other things, but it is a great and fun exercise to learn new songs and can help build your confidence.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know people practicing with yousician, seems good but the paid content is expensive.
I ended up dropping rocksmith because I dont like how it teachs but I love yousician, mostly because I can do other instruments and there are more song variants to help me get through different difficulties. Its expensive but it with justin guitar is still cheaper than a teacher by far.

Plus because of how it grades I like I have to earn future stuff, makes me more likely to focus on mastery of a machanic

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I want to start learning guitar but stuck at the first hurdle of deciding what guitar to buy. Is it wise to buy second hand for a 1st guitar ?
Someone near me has an affinity Tele for £90 which seems like a good deal looking on eBay etc but worried about it being pre owned and me not knowing what pitfalls to avoid. Otherwise I'm looking at a bullet strat or the Mustang HH, any advice is appreciated :)

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I want to start learning guitar but stuck at the first hurdle of deciding what guitar to buy. Is it wise to buy second hand for a 1st guitar ?
Someone near me has an affinity Tele for £90 which seems like a good deal looking on eBay etc but worried about it being pre owned and me not knowing what pitfalls to avoid. Otherwise I'm looking at a bullet strat or the Mustang HH, any advice is appreciated :)

I would recommend 2nd hand. Only 2 of the 7 guitars I have owned were new, and my first was used. You get a lot more guitar for your money. Also you can get something nicer that you actually want to play. Getting something cheap and crappy is the quickest way to not want to keep playing.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I've been misusing the RAT all along. I've been boosting it with a Tube Screamer and was cutting out the low chunky breakup. While I believe the Big Muff sounds better boosted with an OD, the RAT needs to be alone to get the best tone. Otherwise, it gets too noisy.

Listen to the sound of this breakup:

Last edited:

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
popped my variax shuriken on ebay. bit of a shame but it's just sat there and i think i'd need a helix to make the most out of it really.
depending on how much i get i might look to install an evertune on to my 8 string...

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI

I didn't have a guitar that was worth a shit until I'd already been playing for almost 25 years. It doesn't matter what you learn on as long as it is relatively comfortable and stays in tune.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Don't sweat your first guitar. You won't really know what you like for years to come. Maybe never. Every guitar has some moments.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Still not bought my first guitar. Kinda frustrated because of my indecisiveness due to net being able to find anyone online to take them for a test play (and some of the ones I've been observing have been sold).

There's someone selling their G400 Faded (my preferred variant) with a Fender Mustang I and I'm not sure about the amp itself. Don't really know much about modelling amps beside your typical Katanas & Yamahas I see a lot in YT vids and Fender isn't a company I'd associate with that stuff.
Would it be any good for the stuff I'd be interested in? Mostly Stoner/Doom and older Heavy Metal. I originally planned starting with Rocksmith (for motivation)/free amp sims on PC and buy a solid-state Orange or whatever once I'm more sure about it but this sounds like a decent price for a pack if the amp is OK, plus the guitar seems to be in good condition.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still not bought my first guitar. Kinda frustrated because of my indecisiveness due to net being able to find anyone online to take them for a test play (and some of the ones I've been observing have been sold).

There's someone selling their G400 Faded (my preferred variant) with a Fender Mustang I and I'm not sure about the amp itself. Don't really know much about modelling amps beside your typical Katanas & Yamahas I see a lot in YT vids and Fender isn't a company I'd associate with that stuff.
Would it be any good for the stuff I'd be interested in? Mostly Stoner/Doom and older Heavy Metal. I originally planned starting with Rocksmith (for motivation)/free amp sims on PC and buy a solid-state Orange or whatever once I'm more sure about it but this sounds like a decent price for a pack if the amp is OK, plus the guitar seems to be in good condition.

It'll be perfect for you, IMO. It will really help you discover effects, and I hear that amp is on par with the Katana in terms of quality and versatility. I think it'll also be a good pedal platform if you decide to push your doom sound further with a little front-end dirt. Well, not a 'little' dirt, lol.

In which Orange Solid state are you interested?

Also, TC Electronic Dark Matter is such an underrated pedal. It sounds incredible when boosted with a Tube Screamer.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be perfect for you, IMO. It will really help you discover effects, and I hear that amp is on par with the Katana in terms of quality and versatility. I think it'll also be a good pedal platform if you decide to push your doom sound further with a little front-end dirt. Well, not a 'little' dirt, lol.

In which Orange Solid state are you interested?
Actually, the really distorted tones didn't sound that well in the demos (might be better in the room?) and the general opinion seems to be that other modelling amps are better for that, but otherwise I'm hearing it's good and that I shouldn't be going in full high-gain direction in the beginning anyway, so that I hear my mistakes better.
NGL, I'm partly biting because if I don't like it and sell it for even below $50, the guitar itself wouldn't be considered too expensive and sadly the Faded series seems to be way less prominent in the used market.

And I was thinking about the basic Orange Crush 20RT. I liked it in store and the channel Does It Doom uses it for videos because of the emulated cab output and it actually doesn't sound bad that way either (which surprised me, because I remember Micro Terror/Dark sounding pretty bad with the simulated output in demos).

Last edited:

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, the really distorted tones don't sound that well in the demos (might be better in the room?), but otherwise I'm hearing it's good and that I shouldn't be going in full high-gain direction in the beginning anyway, so that I hear my mistakes better.
NGL, I'm partly biting because if I don't like it and sell it for even below $50, the guitar itself wouldn't be considered too expensive and sadly the Faded series seems to be way less prominent in the used market.

And I was thinking about the basic Orange Crush 20RT. I liked it in store and the channel Does It Doom uses it for videos because of the emulated cab output and it actually doesn't sound bad that way either (which surprised me, because I remember Micro Terror/Dark sounding pretty bad with the simulated output in demos).

I say just go for the Orange, then. It's a pretty affordable amp so not much to lose. I think you'll always find your high-gain sound wanting unless you push the front end of the amp with some dirt. That's how you'll get that droning stoner sustain without that choked-out blunt edge. And don't sleep on The Katana, either.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Got the guitar. It's alright, some knobs are a bit dented, but otherwise seems to be in good shape. The amp I was worried about turned out to be both better and worse than expected, but mostly better.

The distorted tones don't sound that bad in the flesh - it's just the Mesa (I think? Or is it Peavey?) sim that's not as good, at least for now. Although pedal simulation is a bit disappointing at my newbie's first glance (overdrive, wah, fuzz and compressor are one category, although there's a fuzzwah - modulation, reverb and delay are 3 other categories . You can only use 1 pedal off the category at a time), but it makes sense for an older amp, I guess? And I'm not really going to experiment with building tones that much yet. Overall, I'm happy with it so far.

Found a decent fuzzy preset online, though, so I got something to play around with for fun.

Last edited:

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Is this the right place to ask for a pretty basic question regarding a technique for a beginner guitarist? :"D

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I need to stop looking at Reverb. Just got back from vacation last week and still saving my pennies for a Kemper. But, fuck, there is a Taylor just a couple of hours away from me I'd love to play. They are already asking a nice price and I figure I could offer a good chunk lower if I went and picked it up... must resist.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Okay, cool! So im having a bit of trouble hitting the right note during bends consistantly...

So here comes the question: is the amount you have to actually bend the string during a full bend always the same, regardless of the string or note you are bending? So like does a full bend on the third fret of D-string require the same amount of "bending" as a full bend on the 18th fret of G-string?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, cool! So im having a bit of trouble hitting the right note during bends consistantly...

So here comes the question: is the amount you have to actually bend the string during a full bend always the same, regardless of the string or note you are bending? So like does a full bend on the third fret of D-string require the same amount of "bending" as a full bend on the 18th fret of G-string?

If you are referring to the physical distance or effort required, then no, its always different. It will even be different between two guitars, as it is influenced by a number of factors. You will need to use your ear to determine when you have bended the half step, for instance.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have struggled with bends for all of eternity. I like to practice by sliding up to the note, and then bending to it. So, if I am bending the 14th fret on the G string to 16, I first slide from 14->16 then go back and bend the 14 to 16 and use my ears to get them to sound the same. Over and over until it starts to feel natural.

Then I switch to playing the 16, no slide, then jump back to the 14 but do the bend BEFORE I pick it and see if I pre-bent it to the right note or not.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
If you are referring to the physical distance or effort required, then no, its always different. It will even be different between two guitars, as it is influenced by a number of factors. You will need to use your ear to determine when you have bended the half step, for instance.
Yes, I meant the physical distance. Basically this means that I will just need to go through every single bend in The loner individually and determine the "distance" to hit the right notes right? Though I imagine the idea is to hear when to stop the bend and not think about the distance?

I think this will help me a ton. I had no idea why I could nail some bends almost perfectly with pretty much the same "hand motion" but failed other bends miserably.

Thanks so much!
I have struggled with bends for all of eternity. I like to practice by sliding up to the note, and then bending to it. So, if I am bending the 14th fret on the G string to 16, I first slide from 14->16 then go back and bend the 14 to 16 and use my ears to get them to sound the same. Over and over until it starts to feel natural.

Then I switch to playing the 16, no slide, then jump back to the 14 but do the bend BEFORE I pick it and see if I pre-bent it to the right note or not.
Oh wow, thanks dude. I will definately try this one too.

For bends not on the first string you can play the note you're bending to on the next higher string very easily so you can play them at the same time to get the pitch right.
Thanks!

Last edited:

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
rv1Nzrl.jpg

Love my little setup, ghetto homemade pedal board and finally got replacement tubes and new strings and have been jamming all afternoon. Still pretty new tbh but I just wanted to share lol

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That is a beauty. I fucking love Tele's so much. My biggest regret guitar sale is that I use to own a 52 reissue that was perfection. I mostly play heavier music which it wasn't really suited for, and at the time I couldn't afford a second guitar without letting the old one go.

EDIT: Holy shit, did they stop making 52 teles!? Looking at guitarcenter, the only ones they have are $3,000+ custom shop ones. Fuck me.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I started out with a Epiphone Les Paul from a starter set and then got a strat from a garage sale, ended up selling them both and got a Mex tele and have been in love with it since I got it. One day I'll own an American one but until then this one will do! I do plan to go back to a Les Paul one day but maybe when I have my own place and have space. Renting a room blows, my dudes.
Also this amp is too fucking loud lmao I can only use it when my roommates aren't home (fender pro jr IV )

Been using this at night practicing scales before going to bed
dMse2vP.jpg

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
What are your opinions on the differences between an SG and Les Paul? I'm looking to get back into guitar, and had an Agile Les Paul copy a few year back that I liked. I'll probably go the Epiphone route instead of full on Gibson though.

Also, any advice on picking out an acoustic guitar? Other than try out a few and get what you like.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am totally a singlecut guy. But, I was at the Guitar Center in San Francisco a week ago and they had a used Gibson SG for like $900 that was fucking awesome. It weighs practically nothing compared to my PRS. It was also nice being able to easily get all the way up the neck. If I wasn't in the middle of an already expensive vacation I would have really wanted to bring it home with me. I saw it on their when I got home, but it is gone now. So, someone else apparently agreed that it was awesome and already snatched it up.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
What are your opinions on the differences between an SG and Les Paul? I'm looking to get back into guitar, and had an Agile Les Paul copy a few year back that I liked. I'll probably go the Epiphone route instead of full on Gibson though.

Also, any advice on picking out an acoustic guitar? Other than try out a few and get what you like.

SG's are much thinner, and the neck sticks out a little more, so it feels farther away. If you haven't tried one, I would. Personally, from the gibson line I would, and have, bought an explorer over both sg and les paul.

The higher end epiphone les pauls are pretty good though. I have a korean made one from like 2003 and its not bad.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
SG's are much thinner, and the neck sticks out a little more, so it feels farther away. If you haven't tried one, I would. Personally, from the gibson line I would, and have, bought an explorer over both sg and les paul.

The higher end epiphone les pauls are pretty good though. I have a korean made one from like 2003 and its not bad.
I planned on trying before I bought. I have a Squire Strat I got as a gift a long time back, and it's not a very good guitar to play on. Just doesn't feel right in my hands

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so is the boss katana still legit

It is. Even without the on-board effects, it's an incredible pedal platform, and perfect for me for low-volume play. The clean setting is based on a Fender deluxe reverb, I think. Or something like that. It's very similar in sound to my Fender tube amp.

rv1Nzrl.jpg

Love my little setup, ghetto homemade pedal board and finally got replacement tubes and new strings and have been jamming all afternoon. Still pretty new tbh but I just wanted to share lol

I see you are a man of culture. Your core drive section is identical to mine, although the order is different. I go "TS9 > Muff > Rat" I use TS9 as a lead boost for RAT and as an always-on boost for BIg Muff. I also have only 1 modulation effect and it's a phaser, lol. AND I have the same wah, but it's currently not on my board. I run it in off-board. You are def going places.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm slowly starting to realize my best sounding guitar for the sound I want when I record is coming from a Brownsville strat that I got at an auction for 40 bucks.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got yet another Tube Screamer style OD coming in. New EQD Plumes. I really don't need it, as I already have two good OD pedals I love, but fuck it lol. The good news is that people will often say that pedals are 'clones' of other pedals but the characteristics of the pedals and how they play with other pedals are worlds apart. Like, I think the Tube Screamer sounds different from the Boss SD-1 by a long shot. TS9 is warmer and more transparent, while the SD-1 has more of a sharp 'bite' to it. I don't keep both on my board at once, but I switch them out a lot depending on my mood. My verdict is that I think the SD-1 is ever so slightly better as a stand-alone OD sound, but the TS9 smokes it as a boost pedal.

Needless to say, if the EQD pedal doesn't blow my other two OD pedals way, I'll just send it back (Amazon FTW). But my hunch is that I'm in for a good time.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kel5J97.jpg

Do you guys think it is okay to keep a guitar in a case like this? Like, would it be more prone to humidity and the like than if it were in its actual case? Aren't there some finishes that may react badly to the foam of a guitar hanger/stand?