• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Kel5J97.jpg

Do you guys think it is okay to keep a guitar in a case like this? Like, would it be more prone to humidity and the like than if it were in its actual case? Aren't there some finishes that may react badly to the foam of a guitar hanger/stand?
I don't think that will be any worse than having your guitar hang from the wall on a hook. I am by no means an expert though.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but I don't keep my guitar on a hook on the wall either, outside of when I'm playing/practicing. Outside of that I always keep them in the case. I live in Illinois, so we get freezing dry as fuck winters and scorching humid summers. So, I wonder if it something like that is as protective from nature as the actual case. I wouldn't see why not, but wanted to see what others thought.

Reading online about some finishes having bad reactions to the rubber of guitar stands, apparently it is nitro finish that it can happen? I can't find a clear answer on what my PRS has. Apparently modern ones use a proprietary mix that we don't get to know the details of. But, mine is from 2002, so that might not even be it. Either way, I guess cloth covers exist, so I would just get those.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah nitro finish and guitar stands don't go together. I kept a Gibson SG on a stand and the binding on the neck got discolored. I've seen some really bad paint distortion with Gibsons on hanging stands, like the rubber foam melting into the paint. The Gibson manual explicitly states that ANY rubber/foam stand is a risk.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Alternatively, some stands claim to be safe with nitro. I have nitro guitars on a multi-guitar stand without issue, and the one single-guitar stand I'm concerned with I just have some cotton rags between the guitar and the stand is fine.

I deal with winter with an electronic humidifier with a hygrometer. Set it to 45% and keep it filled.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to look into a humidifier with settings. I have always just used a cheap ass walmart thing for my bedroom during the winter. I got the go ahead from my wife that I can change our rarely used spare room into my guitar room in the coming months. Gonna fills some holes in the wall and get it painted and whatnot.

Think I'm gonna get one of those wall cases just to have a guitar always right there easy to grab.

EtaMari

Dec 17, 2018
Why is it so hard to play and sing at the same time and when it will get easier? :D
I need to learn Last of Us 1 and 2 soundtrack :D

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
are there any overdrive/distortion pedals that work well the achieve a heavy sound on the boss katana. i'm getting the 100w version and i've heard that it isn't the best for metal and stuff like that. no djent or anything like that, i just want a chunky sound. i've read that something like a tube screamer mini in front of it will tighten it up and allow that heavier chug sound. i know the amp comes with boosters options in it, but i've seen some people online mention that stacking a real pedal in front works well.

anyone have experience or insight on this? i know od pedals are typically for tube amps, so i'm wondering what i'm looking for to get that decent chugs on this amp.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
are there any overdrive/distortion pedals that work well the achieve a heavy sound on the boss katana. i'm getting the 100w version and i've heard that it isn't the best for metal and stuff like that. no djent or anything like that, i just want a chunky sound. i've read that something like a tube screamer mini in front of it will tighten it up and allow that heavier chug sound. i know the amp comes with boosters options in it, but i've seen some people online mention that stacking a real pedal in front works well.

anyone have experience or insight on this? i know od pedals are typically for tube amps, so i'm wondering what i'm looking for to get that decent chugs on this amp.

Why would you get a katana if you hear that it isn't best for the kind of music you play? Anyway, I think the katana is a bit overrated. Great price point, but there are other much better non-tube amps out there if you are looking for authentic-sounding high gain. From my experience, pedals just don't gel with modeling amps at all - you're basically just adding to an already bloating signal chain that exists internally in the amp. For chugga-chugga on a solid state I would go with an Orange Crush, plus it's an analog solid state amp so it takes pedals very well.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Why would you get a katana if you hear that it isn't best for the kind of music you play? Anyway, I think the katana is a bit overrated. Great price point, but there are other much better non-tube amps out there if you are looking for authentic-sounding high gain. From my experience, pedals just don't gel with modeling amps at all - you're basically just adding to an already bloating signal chain that exists internally in the amp. For chugga-chugga on a solid state I would go with an Orange Crush, plus it's an analog solid state amp so it takes pedals very well.

i like to play different kinds of music. i haven't played in years but i'm starting back up and trying to decide on an amp. metal is one of the things i enjoy to play, so i want an amp can do it well.

with a budget of $600-$700, can anyone recommend me a tube combo that can do heavy stuff well and is somewhat versatile? it would need to sound decent at bedroom volumes, since that's where i would be using it. i was just looking at the marshall dsl20cr.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Alternatively, some stands claim to be safe with nitro. I have nitro guitars on a multi-guitar stand without issue, and the one single-guitar stand I'm concerned with I just have some cotton rags between the guitar and the stand is fine.

I deal with winter with an electronic humidifier with a hygrometer. Set it to 45% and keep it filled.

This is what I do. I have rags on the top where the neck is and at the bottom on a few. Though I think all my stands are good anyway since My explorer rests on the bottom and its fine.

I also have a humidifier in the house to keep things steady. Though I live in Arizona so it runs almost all the time when I set it to 40%.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
i like to play different kinds of music. i haven't played in years but i'm starting back up and trying to decide on an amp. metal is one of the things i enjoy to play, so i want an amp can do it well.

with a budget of $600-$700, can anyone recommend me a tube combo that can do heavy stuff well and is somewhat versatile? it would need to sound decent at bedroom volumes, since that's where i would be using it. i was just looking at the marshall dsl20cr.

The Marshall DSL series is solid. Personally I would bump up to the DSL40 just in case you want to jam with people. It has a voltage switch so you can play at bedroom levels as well. You might as well also check out the Blackstar HT Club series, they're always compared head-to-head with the Marshall DSL.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Marshall DSL is the way to go if you want to use the amp's gain channel. For the best results, consider running a good transparent overdrive pedal in front of your amp. It will tighten up your palm muting considerably. Just dial down the gain to 0 and crank the level knob. Boss SD-1 will give you a professional-quality OD for 50 dollars new. I'd recommend that.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got this today with some gift cards I got for my birthday:

ZsTN9tJ.jpg

Seems pretty cool so far. I have only messed around with multieffects built in loopers. So, having a full dedicated one that doesn't have a short record time is nice. Two individual tracks with volume control is pretty fucking sweet as well.

The only thing that seems odd to me is I can't figure out how to just set a BPM for the built in drums. You can tap tempo them, but it'd be handy to be able to just put in the number. Gotta find a download for the instructions, maybe I'm just missing it.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Is the action always high on an acoustic guitar? I was noodling a few at Guitar Center the other day and I noticed that it was a lot higher compared to electric

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got this today with some gift cards I got for my birthday:

ZsTN9tJ.jpg

Seems pretty cool so far. I have only messed around with multieffects built in loopers. So, having a full dedicated one that doesn't have a short record time is nice. Two individual tracks with volume control is pretty fucking sweet as well.

The only thing that seems odd to me is I can't figure out how to just set a BPM for the built in drums. You can tap tempo them, but it'd be handy to be able to just put in the number. Gotta find a download for the instructions, maybe I'm just missing it.

Ooh that's dope. I need a looper bad so I can better fine-tune my pedal setup. Let me know how it sounds.

BTW, I think I found the guitar of my d'n dreams:

gibson-sg-standard-exclusive-limited-bullion-gold-253568.jpg

It's an SG standard like my current one, but it's the goldtop color. Makes me wonder if i could make my SG look cooler if I replaced the black pickguard with a different color. I like the all-black SG but it's a little bland at times.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Ooh that's dope. I need a looper bad so I can better fine-tune my pedal setup. Let me know how it sounds.

BTW, I think I found the guitar of my d'n dreams:

gibson-sg-standard-exclusive-limited-bullion-gold-253568.jpg

It's an SG standard like my current one, but it's the goldtop color. Makes me wonder if i could make my SG look cooler if I replaced the black pickguard with a different color. I like the all-black SG but it's a little bland at times.

I often wish the SG got more interesting color options like the les paul does. For most of the models its a case of I hope you like red or black.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
The Marshall DSL series is solid. Personally I would bump up to the DSL40 just in case you want to jam with people. It has a voltage switch so you can play at bedroom levels as well. You might as well also check out the Blackstar HT Club series, they're always compared head-to-head with the Marshall DSL.
Marshall DSL is the way to go if you want to use the amp's gain channel. For the best results, consider running a good transparent overdrive pedal in front of your amp. It will tighten up your palm muting considerably. Just dial down the gain to 0 and crank the level knob. Boss SD-1 will give you a professional-quality OD for 50 dollars new. I'd recommend that.

thanks for the advice. my worry with the 40 watt dsl (or even the 20 watt, for that matter), is that it still won't sound good for the bedroom volume i'm talking about. i know about the power feature for this purpose, but i've seen a few reviews of people saying it still needs to be pushed a little bit to get the sound you want. would an overdrive pedal help with this? i know little about tube amps, but i know that OD pedals are supposed to drive the tubes harder, right? does that mean an overdrive would allow me to get the tube sound at lower volumes?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thanks for the advice. my worry with the 40 watt dsl (or even the 20 watt, for that matter), is that it still won't sound good for the bedroom volume i'm talking about. i know about the power feature for this purpose, but i've seen a few reviews of people saying it still needs to be pushed a little bit to get the sound you want. would an overdrive pedal help with this? i know little about tube amps, but i know that OD pedals are supposed to drive the tubes harder, right? does that mean an overdrive would allow me to get the tube sound at lower volumes?

Tube amps are rather limited at bedroom volumes, but an OD pedal will give you that tube breakup sound at the low volume. I can get a great tube amp sound out of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with the help of an OD pedal. That amp is famously loud and hard to dial in at low volumes and I'm still very happy with the tone I get. Fuzz, in particular, sounds 10x better with a tube amp vs. a solid state.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah. Exactly. This seems like it would sell, I don't get it.

Because its Gibson, which has been pretty shit for a while. I honestly don't think I'd ever buy another one.

I have 1 gibson, and 2 epiphones, and my dad also has a Gibson. The Gibsons just feel like no one bothered to put effort into making the guitars. Both my Epiphones feel like they went through a much better QC process. Granted the Epiphones both feel cheaper because they use cheaper materials, but the attention to detail is higher. They also span a long year range as well. I have a 2003 Epiphone les paul custom, a 2015(I think) Epiphone explorer gothic, a 2016 Gibson explorer, and my dad has a 2007 Gibson les paul.
When my dad ordered his les paul, it took until the 3rd one because the first two he got sent had flaws.

However, I haven't played a custom shop model, and I have played a higher end SG in a guitar center that felt alright, but overall its pretty hit and miss, and I'd rather just buy something else.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because its Gibson, which has been pretty shit for a while. I honestly don't think I'd ever buy another one.

I have 1 gibson, and 2 epiphones, and my dad also has a Gibson. The Gibsons just feel like no one bothered to put effort into making the guitars. Both my Epiphones feel like they went through a much better QC process. Granted the Epiphones both feel cheaper because they use cheaper materials, but the attention to detail is higher. They also span a long year range as well. I have a 2003 Epiphone les paul custom, a 2015(I think) Epiphone explorer gothic, a 2016 Gibson explorer, and my dad has a 2007 Gibson les paul.
When my dad ordered his les paul, it took until the 3rd one because the first two he got sent had flaws.

However, I haven't played a custom shop model, and I have played a higher end SG in a guitar center that felt alright, but overall its pretty hit and miss, and I'd rather just buy something else.

I think I've bought my last Gibson, as well. I have been chasing a sound for the last year and in all honesty, it's the sound of a Fender Telecaster. I'd be happy with a Mexican one, tbh. I find the differences negligible.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Tube amps are rather limited at bedroom volumes, but an OD pedal will give you that tube breakup sound at the low volume. I can get a great tube amp sound out of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with the help of an OD pedal. That amp is famously loud and hard to dial in at low volumes and I'm still very happy with the tone I get. Fuzz, in particular, sounds 10x better with a tube amp vs. a solid state.

do you think the dsl20cr would be easier to get a good lower-volume sound out of than the dsl40cr, or will it not make any difference?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do you think the dsl20cr would be easier to get a good lower-volume sound out of than the dsl40cr, or will it not make any difference?

Both amps have a low wattage mode and that's most assuredly what you'll be using the most for your bedroom volume.

I can't tell you how differently each amp might respond to your playing, but quite frankly, I have a 40watt tube amp and I've never had to turn it up past 3 at gigs. It gets so loud that it will make you physically ill. Now, most every club as a sophisticated PA system. You simply don't need a lot of power. So I'm going to recommend you go with the 20. But, honestly, amps aren't my area of knowledge, honestly.

EDIT: Honestly.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh . . . I just got confirmation that my Black Box Overdrive 2 is bought. I'm not entirely sure why I just bought this boutique pedal. I'm still neck deep in this PhD. But, what the hell. Maybe I'll start recording again.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
does anyone in here have any experience in getting heavier sounds out of a katana? i'm just looking for tight palm muted stuff, not crazy heavy shit or anything like that. just standard tuned chunkier stuff that isn't twangy.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
does anyone in here have any experience in getting heavier sounds out of a katana? i'm just looking for tight palm muted stuff, not crazy heavy shit or anything like that. just standard tuned chunkier stuff that isn't twangy.

I do. Boss Katana can really do it all, as far as conventional setups go. Put the amp type to "Lead," crank up the gain, and then crank up the booster of your choice and you got a legitimate pro-quality metal sound, in my opinion.

Some effects are fantastic. I think their Tube Screamer and RAT booster effects are near perfect. In fact, you'll have a much easier time dialing in a usable tone with them than the real thing. Big Muff setting is not so hot. It sounds 'out of breath' to me, like it's chugging along the best it can. And TBF, my Big Muff into a solid state amp is unusable IMO. Into a Tube amp, it's my favorite dirt sound. So it's just one of those things. I can speak to those 3 because those are my holy trinity of dirt that I keep on my board. I can't tell you how accurate the Guvnor or the MXR + boosters are, unfortunately. Never owned em.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
I do. Boss Katana can really do it all, as far as conventional setups go. Put the amp type to "Lead," crank up the gain, and then crank up the booster of your choice and you got a legitimate pro-quality metal sound, in my opinion.

Some effects are fantastic. I think their Tube Screamer and RAT booster effects are near perfect. In fact, you'll have a much easier time dialing in a usable tone with them than the real thing. Big Muff setting is not so hot. It sounds 'out of breath' to me, like it's chugging along the best it can. And TBF, my Big Muff into a solid state amp is unusable IMO. Into a Tube amp, it's my favorite dirt sound. So it's just one of those things. I can speak to those 3 because those are my holy trinity of dirt that I keep on my board. I can't tell you how accurate the Guvnor or the MXR + boosters are, unfortunately. Never owned em.

out of curiosity, why the lead channel instead of brown?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
out of curiosity, why the lead channel instead of brown?

In my opinion, the Brown channel is a bit too bright and fuzzy for the metal tones I like. I think it's better for stuff like punk/shoegaze/emo/alternative. I think that channel is for when you want a wall of sound, when in metal, I generally want a tight, controlled, and precise tone. BUT, that's just my personal tastes. I think both channels can be dialed in for a tone that's usable, i just prefer the Lead over Brown, myself.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
In my opinion, the Brown channel is a bit too bright and fuzzy for the metal tones I like. I think it's better for stuff like punk/shoegaze/emo/alternative. I think that channel is for when you want a wall of sound, when in metal, I generally want a tight, controlled, and precise tone. BUT, that's just my personal tastes. I think both channels can be dialed in for a tone that's usable, i just prefer the Lead over Brown, myself.

oh, cool. do you think something like the boss sd-1 would do anything goof for the katana, or should i not bother with pedals on it?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh, cool. do you think something like the boss sd-1 would do anything goof for the katana, or should i not bother with pedals on it?

In my opinion, you are fine without an OD pedal with a Katana because the booster section puts a number of perfectly adequate OD clones in front of your virtual amp. The only pedal I would put in front of a Katana would be in a very specific situation. I'll explain: (I got a TL;DR: at the bottom if I'm not doing a great job of explaining this)

In the Katana, you have basically 4 sections:

1. Amp Emulation (Your virtual amp)
2. Boosters (OD, Distortion, Fuzz, EQ Boost) / Modulation (By default it's Modulation effects like Chorus/Phaser/Flanger, but any effect can be assigned to this knob)
3. Delay (Tape, Analog, Digital, etc) /Effects (Any included effect pedal can be assigned here, as well)
4. Reverb

By default, the order of the 4 sections is Booster > Amp > Delay > Reverb. In my opinion, you should never need to rearrange this layout.

So, most every pedal board has pedals placed in this order:

1. Tuner
2. Pitch/EQ (Octave, Pitch shifter, Wah)
3. Drive (Compressor, Boost, OD, Distortion, Fuzz)
4. Modulation (Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Tremolo)
5. Delay
6. Reverb.

Check out section 3. That's your drive section, which will work in conjunction with your own amp's gain to craft a beefy distortion tone. But, what about all those other effects after Drive? Wouldn't that interfere with the tone of the amp's drive if it comes between your boost/drive section and your amp? Why yes, it would. This is why most amps have what is known as an effects loop. It's an additional set of input/output jacks that allow you to place effects after your amp's preamp section. Not needed if you plan on using pedals for all your drive needs, but definitely needed otherwise.

Fortunately, because of the Katana's Boost > Amp > Delay > Reverb setup, you got a virtual effects loop right there! No worries, no thinking needed. You can dial in a killer sound with the turn of just 3 knobs.

For this reason, the only pedals I would put in front of your Katana as someone getting into guitar gear would be something you would want before a booster pedal. For the vast vast majority of players, that's basically a tuner, and maybe a wah. You simply don't need anything more than what the Katana comes with to get an incredibly versatile and usable sound.

The Katana can emulate perfectly a real OD pedal boosting your Amp with a Delay and Reverb in the effects loop. And it comes ready to this right out of the box without ever having to mess with the computer program. As time goes on, this amp will quickly educate you about effect placement and dialing them in. It has a built-in Noise Gate, too, which is a must for high-gain guitarists!

TL;DR: If you were going the Orange Crush or Marshall DSL route, then I would definitely suggest getting an overdrive pedal to run in front of your amp. The beauty of the Katana is that you don't need it.

Last edited:

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
now i have a new contender. 20w 6505+ mini head. there's a 1 and 5 watt mode which is really appealing to me since i'll have to play at bedroom volume most of the time.. there's a combo on guitar center that seems like good value.

does anyone know if that cab should be decent? it has a 25w greenback celestion. i know nothing about speakers.

Yes, that will be a great cab.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New pedal day.... we gotta talk about this one:

Delay_TopView-Main-_799306-ea4244ba43caed511c2a79da382b0c5e.jpg

I can't explain it. The Modulation is like Rainbow-Machine tier weird. It can be a normal warm analog delay, and then it can get into wild territory. Here is a demo of it I recorded:

I start with normal delay and then we get spoopy.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shout outs to all my people out there who bought the Boss Katana within the last 6 months and didn't know they were fixing almost every problem with it with a new version. I wonder how much the price has gone up?

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All my calluses disappeared after not playing for so long. I forgot how painful it is without them. I hate it.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, Randy Rhoads really was a fucking beastly guitarist. I need a new song to learn as I just finished the one I was working on today. I started messing with Crazy Train, and fuck me. Forget about the solo, that is way beyond me. But, even the rest of the song is just filled with little riffs, and the dude just constantly changes things up like like he didn't believe in repeating a riff the exact same way. Crazy that he was almost a decade younger than me when he died and he was coming up with shit like this.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
What's really amazing about Randy Rhoads is he double-tracked every solo note for note. Apparently Max Norman the engineer thought he was crazy when Randy said he wanted to double-track everything and he was blown away when he did them all in just a few takes.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got one of these today:

SkeXqGA.jpg

Not that I have a big issue with hum in my house, but there is a bit. This does fuck all to make it better, though. Oh well, at least it was only $30.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
In my house it has something to do with running the heater. We just started it up yesterday and I have noticeably more hum and radio interference with pedals.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have constant noise from them, but you can hear the heat/air when they kick on pop through my speakers. This thing literally does nothing. No better, no worse. It is a $30 paper weight that simply exists.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have constant noise from them, but you can hear the heat/air when they kick on pop through my speakers. This thing literally does nothing. No better, no worse. It is a $30 paper weight that simply exists.
Just means you are not getting noise from ground loops? Not certain. You would need to isolate the pickups fairly well to troubleshoot this issue.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
NGD. Found this Chris Shiflett Tele "used" at Guitar Center for a great price. It looked like it had never been played before. Came with a pretty nice case too. Also grabbed a used Rat as I realized I don't even own a distortion pedal. Tech even took the time to set it up for me.
AC980-A53-6-BCF-4-CD1-999-C-59099-CE88692.jpg

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NGD. Found this Chris Shiflett Tele "used" at Guitar Center for a great price. It looked like it had never been played before. Came with a pretty nice case too. Also grabbed a used Rat as I realized I don't even own a distortion pedal. Tech even took the time to set it up for me.
AC980-A53-6-BCF-4-CD1-999-C-59099-CE88692.jpg

Oh that's so cool. I'm in the market for a tele, myself. I used to play a HH configuration back in the day in my band and it worked a lot better for our sound than my other guitar, which was an SG, simply because my other guitar player had one, as well.

So, I think pedals with a lot of versatility are a double-edged sword. RAT is a great distortion pedal, as you can tell, I"m a fan, but it's so finnicky. Very wide range of tones, and you gotta have it juuuuuust right. But when you get it dialed in right? It's the best classic distortion out there.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Finally getting back into playing after a hiatus for a couple years, might try to be active in here. I've found that my chops are still pretty much there but I have a lot of trouble coming up with new ideas and I need to find inspiration. Just not a big fan of a lot of more recent guitar-oriented stuff. Guess I gotta dig into all the stuff from the 70s that I neglected.
Man, Randy Rhoads really was a fucking beastly guitarist. I need a new song to learn as I just finished the one I was working on today. I started messing with Crazy Train, and fuck me. Forget about the solo, that is way beyond me. But, even the rest of the song is just filled with little riffs, and the dude just constantly changes things up like like he didn't believe in repeating a riff the exact same way. Crazy that he was almost a decade younger than me when he died and he was coming up with shit like this.
I love that shit. Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones is good at that too, and since he's usually a rhythm guitarist you hardly notice it if you aren't paying attention (understandable since the likes of Mick Taylor have played over his songs). The rhythm track for Live With Me has some embellishments that sound simple since it's just playing off a D>A progression but once you try to play it you realize how nimble the dude's fingers were.

Learned guitar from a local bluegrass picker who would do the same thing, and when people would ask what he just played he couldn't even tell them, it was all just in-the-moment. Even though people say I am a pretty good lead player I always lean toward playing rhythm so I can fill out all that space with those kinds of embellishments, playing off the rest of the band.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I was out of the guitar gear game for a decade and I come back and now Gibson is a joke brand. People say the guitars suck and the quality control is awful. But the two I have are the best instruments I've ever had. Came out of the case in great condition. No problems. Set-up great. Perfect fretwork. BUT... I bought these guitars in 2002 and 2003 respectively. Have things really gone to shit that much in just 15 years? or are people just parroting a meme at this point?

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
Also, I was out of the guitar gear game for a decade and I come back and now Gibson is a joke brand. People say the guitars suck and the quality control is awful. But the two I have are the best instruments I've ever had. Came out of the case in great condition. No problems. Set-up great. Perfect fretwork. BUT... I bought these guitars in 2002 and 2003 respectively. Have things really gone to shit that much in just 15 years? or are people just parroting a meme at this point?

I currently own a 2002, 2003, 2015 and 2018. I'm also planning on buying another in march. I've had several more, but I won't comment on the others other than saying that with a single exception, they were all good ones.

Only one of them has a cosmetic flaw, and it's a pretty small one. The 2018 classic in Pelham blue has small area on the bass side where the binding wasn't properly scraped, so there's a mm of Pelham blue finish stain on the binding from the neck joint until the end of the binding. It's extremely minor and I barely noticed it in the store.

The rest are flawless, cosmetically speaking. Or at least they were when they left the factory.

I have noticed some Gibsons in stores with tooling marks on the fretboard binding. Those can be a bit of an eyesore. I wouldn't let it deter me from buying one with those issues as long as it wasn't super noticeable and didn't affect playbility. But I would use it to negotiate a discount.

I think Gibson's QC can be really spotty at times, but the key to avoiding that is to inspect and play the instrument before buying it.

I also know that the "out-the-box" setups can be really dodgy. The solution there is to go to a decent store who inspects guitars and does any necessary setups before putting them out.

Buy online from most major retailers, and you're just asking for trouble, imo.

Gibson aren't perfect. They're far from it. But I feel that it's at least partly a meme at this point, partially propogated by people who can't afford a Gibson or find them undesirable for whatever reason.

Also, the pricing complaints are totally blown out of proportion, at least when it comes to the regular Gibson USA line. The Les Paul is priced lower than the equivalent PRS and higher than the equivalent fender, which should be obvious, because fenders are cheaper to make. Gibson can go a little crazy with their custom shop guitars at times, but people are buying them, so where's the problem? Those overpriced slash doublenecks? They're selling. I've always wanted a doubleneck, but if I ever get one, I'd go for a regular used production model.

If your only option to try out a Gibson is a guitar centre or some similar faceless corporation, then you're probably going to come away dissatisfied. Since I live in Japan, I have the luxury of having a huge selection of stores to shop at, and they don't tend to put guitars with poor setups or anything worse than marginal QC issues on their store floor. Not saying they're perfect, either. But they at least take some pride in what they do.