• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Guitar Center is the last place I would go for a pickup install. A real guitar tech would be in business themselves, not working for an hourly wage at Guitar Center.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I went to GC for some work last summer and it went great. I detailed the ordeal here when it was happening.

I brought my guitar to my usual mom and pop place, they sat on it for a week, then told me their tech (also the owner, who I dealt with when I dropped it off) was on vacation now. He never mentioned going on vacation to me before taking my guitar.

I went and got my guitar, brought it to GC and had my pickups and a phase switch installed and back in my hands less than 24 hours later. Tech was fucking great. I only dealt with him directly.

So, there is at least one awesome guitar tech at a guitar center.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's basically a crapshoot. My local GC used to have an awesome tech who did some fretwork for me and used to give me free parts like screws and stuff. But he just couldn't get along with the sale s people so he left. It's been a revolving door of noobs ever since. I saw a local job posting for "guitar tech" for Guitar Center and it said "no experience necessary, will train". I guess sometimes you can get a good one, but mostly they're just trained at the headquarters for minimal servicing. If the repair is totally over their heads they usually send it out to a more experienced luthier and then charge accordingly.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
do they have in-store managers at GC? my name isn't karen so i've never done the "can i speak to a manager?" thing, but it would be nice if i could find someone there who gives a shit.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
haha they called me and straight up told me they couldn't figure out the problem and there was nothing more they could do. i asked for a refund for the pickup installation and they said no! hahaha what the hell. she said that she wouldn't refund me because technically he did install the pickups, and that there was no way for her to know that the issue didn't exist before i brought it in. unreal.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Should have phrased better. BBB complaints tend to be a drop in the bucket and seldom trigger an expedient response.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People always say BBB complaints don't work, but I have just never experienced that. Years ago before Valve was giving out refunds, I bought a busted ass game on there that literally would not run. They refused to do shit until I filed a BBB complaint, at which point they immediately gave me a refund.

My brother was recently scammed on paypal. Paypal and his bank both refused to do shit. He filed a BBB complaint and Paypal immediately refunded him his money.

I had a friend that went through a fucking nightmare scenario where his PSN got hacked and another PS4 was activated as his main. He spent weeks calling and emailing Sony fighting with them about it. It annoyed the shit out of me because I kept telling him to file a BBB complaint. He finally did and he got a call from Sony the next day and they got his main PS4 back to being registered as his main system.

We actually JUST had a thread about a similar case here.

To summarize the thread:

ju0SrHi.png

9idwb6S.png

DYLOiix.png

Note that the OP says their ordeal started a month and a half prior. And two days later, after filing a BBB complaint, it was solved. Seriously, they work. And you do it online, so it's not like a big hassle.

Last edited:

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
i took the guitar to sam ash and the guy was baffled when he opened it up. he said the wiring was all wrong and there was solder everywhere. also he said the guy at GC appeared to have switched the pots, but the put the wrong kind in or something like that. i have no idea what happened to my guitar at that place.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Hi. Subbing to this thread because my guitar practice has been crappy and inconsistent.
I play electric mostly, rock and heavy metal. "Metal" here means i play the same iron maiden songs every time I've touched my guitar since 2011.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
EDIT: After further troubleshooting the issue I had written here turned out to be a faulty patch cable. It's always a damn faulty patch cable lol. Time to solder!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
EDIT: After further troubleshooting the issue I had written here turned out to be a faulty patch cable. It's always a damn faulty patch cable lol. Time to solder!

Now I'm curious.

I'm on my way to shibuya Ishibashi, where I may end up buying the most expensive guitar I've ever bought by a fairly sizable margin.

I have to absolutely love it or else I'll walk away empty-handed. Update to follow.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Damn I recorded a bit today and my chops just weren't up to par. I was on point when I recorded in the wrong tempo the other night lmao. Got some vox down for next time though!

Hadn't used my amp in a while, went to do some recording and suddenly had a severe loss of volume! Isolated it to the effects loop and tried a bunch of cable combos but did not think to plug a spare into both send/return until after I took the amp apart 😂 always troubleshoot starting with the cheapest potential issue y'all.

I usually never buy a guitar unless it absolutely speaks to me. Have two that I got over a decade ago for around $200 each at a local music shop and they've served me well gigging around the region. Need one for drop C.... and maybe one for open tunings.... oh lord I don't have money for this hahaha

Maybe you'll find something!

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
Hadn't used my amp in a while, went to do some recording and suddenly had a severe loss of volume! Isolated it to the effects loop and tried a bunch of cable combos but did not think to plug a spare into both send/return until after I took the amp apart 😂 always troubleshoot starting with the cheapest potential issue y'all.

Oh. That has to be annoying. Lesson learned for next time, I guess. But if you're anything like me, you'll forget and have everything in pieces again before it dawns on you.

I usually never buy a guitar unless it absolutely speaks to me. Have two that I got over a decade ago for cheap around $200 each at a local music shop and they've served me well gigging around the region. Need one for drop C.... and maybe one for open tunings.... oh lord I don't have money for this hahaha

Maybe you'll find something!
I'm going to look at a very specific guitar. A guitar that's very hard to get in this configuration, and very very expensive. The used market for this particular model is sparse and asking prices are often extremely high. This is my chance to buy a new one.

Gibson only make about 100 to be allocated to dealers across the world every 4-5 years. Today could be my day.

I promised my wife that I wouldn't buy any more guitars for the next decade if I buy this.

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
Well... I did it. The most expensive guitar I've ever bought, the most expensive guitar I ever will buy and probably the last guitar I buy for the next 10 years. A 55 reissue custom.

3nR65Kh.jpg

Here's a quick, crappy picture I snapped while finalizing the details at the store.

These have been my white whale ever since I finally learned how great p90 pickups are about 13 years ago.

But this has an even fancier/rare pickup in the neck position. The alnico v/staple pickup. I've never had a chance to try one until today, and its absolutely incredible. Just so warm and responsive. A perfect compliment to the p90 in the bridge.

Supposedly, this one has a one piece mahogany body like the originals did. Normally, Gibson cheaped out on these reissues and just glued a mahogany top onto the mahogany body, but I've been hearing whispers that they've gone back to a true one-piece, carved top body. The store manager insisted that that was the case too, but I don't think I'll ever know until I go looking for a seam in the pickup cavities.

Either way, I'm thrilled with this thing. I wish it was cheaper, but I did manage to negotiate a 15% discount, which if you've read my thoughts on getting discounts in Japan, you'll understand I'm delighted with.

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
Woah, that's a sweet guitar. Enjoy!

Cheers, bawjaws.

As a Scot who misses the banter because I live overseas, typing that put a smile on my face.

I had some money stashed away that I was going to use for one of the new 50's p90 goldtop standards. I actually already had enough money for it, but I was waiting for my friend to visit next year because despite being a guitarist and previously living here for a few years, he never checked out the guitar stores here because he was afraid he'd spend all his money and have to go home suddenly. But this guitar came along and I had to act fast.

Used the money I had saved up, called in a debt and then borrowed a couple of grand from our savings. Going to have to cut back on a few things until I can pay the money back I borrowed from our savings, but I never thought I'd actually get to own one of these, so it's definitely worth it to me.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone in here ever bought a finger strengthener for guitar? I have small hands, which makes certain fretboard maneuvers difficult, and was thinking of buying something like: this thing here. I feel like a model with adjustable tension would be the way to go, but if anyone in here has any expertise on this stuff I'm up for suggestions.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
oS1HCyB.png

Saw Gibson post this last week and keep waiting for news about it. Haven't seen shit yet and not seeing anything on their site. Really wanna know what they are gonna cost. As a Metallica fan, I want one of each.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up a new practice amp. I had wanted an Orange Crush, but couldn't find one in store at all. I ended up getting the Marshall Code 25. It's pretty cool with the app functions and most importantly I got it for 30% off.

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
My newborn and my two year old went for a quick nap, so I busted out my guitars for a quick picture. Forgive the mess and poor picture quality. Time was a factor.

ql9NO79.jpg

Just the customs.

EeYFO5h.jpg

Still feel like I'm missing a goldtop with p90s. Despite making "no new guitars for 10 years" promise to my wife, I might try my luck after I pay her back what I owe her for my new acquisition.

No just wondering if there are any issues with them. I don't get off work till around 7 so I've been researching it all morning before u pick it up

Not that I'm aware of. But make sure to play and carefully inspect the one they give you before you pay for it. There might be no issues with the model line by itself, but that particular guitar could be a good or bad one. You won't know until you see and play it yourself.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
My newborn and my two year old went for a quick nap, so I busted out my guitars for a quick picture. Forgive the mess and poor picture quality. Time was a factor.

ql9NO79.jpg

Just the customs.

EeYFO5h.jpg

Still feel like I'm missing a goldtop with p90s. Despite making "no new guitars for 10 years" promise to my wife, I might try my luck after I pay her back what I owe her for my new acquisition.

Not that I'm aware of. But make sure to play and carefully inspect the one they give you before you pay for it. There might be no issues with the model line by itself, but that particular guitar could be a good or bad one. You won't know until you see and play it yourself.
Wow, what a beautiful collection! I'd kill for any one of those guitars.

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
Wow, what a beautiful collection! I'd kill for any one of those guitars.

Thanks. The sunburst one on the left was my main guitar for years. Had it since I was 17. Now I'm 32. I gigged hundreds of times with it.

A former bandmate bought a goldtop with p90s back in 2006. Previously, I'd just assumed p90s were somehow inferior, but after playing his goldtop, I was in love. Shortly after, we were in a guitar store and saw one of the '55 reissue customs (with the p90 and staple pickups. I've wanted one ever since, but given how rarely gibson make them, I've never had an opportunity until now.

My former bandmate needed money to go traveling, so I bought his goldtop from him in 2007 and sold it back to him in 2011 when I wanted to go traveling myself. Been trying to replace it ever since. The Pelham blue was an attempt at that, but I still want a goldtop.

The white custom was another dream guitar, but earlier this year, I had an opportunity to pick up the black custom with humbuckers at a bargain price, so I did.

Ironically, I haven't played a gig in about 5 years. Studying Japanese and having kids got in the way. I'm thinking of trying to start/join a band soon. Planning to gig them all.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
how do you like it so far? i might get one if it's still on sale for $549 at musiciansfriend in a few days
Im loving it so far. I asked the guy at gc to give me a brand new one in box cause I didn't want any of them to service anything on it hehe.

I figured I'll let you know this though, the action on the guitar is awful out the box and you'll prolly have to replace the nut it comes with, but yeah everything else is great

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Im loving it so far. I asked the guy at gc to give me a brand new one in box cause I didn't want any of them to service anything on it hehe.

I figured I'll let you know this though, the action on the guitar is awful out the box and you'll prolly have to replace the nut it comes with, but yeah everything else is great

what's wrong with the nut?

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
Friends, I've been itching to get back into guitar after about a decade and will probably start with a relatively cheap acoustic to get back up to speed on and see if it sticks before getting something a bit more expensive.

any word on the Rogue RA-090 Dreadnought Acoustic? It's on sale for like 60 bucks but I don't want something that's so janky it will put me off wanting to play.

if that's not great, then any suggestions on what I should look at? Thanks!

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Friends, I've been itching to get back into guitar after about a decade and will probably start with a relatively cheap acoustic to get back up to speed on and see if it sticks before getting something a bit more expensive.

any word on the Rogue RA-090 Dreadnought Acoustic? It's on sale for like 60 bucks but I don't want something that's so janky it will put me off wanting to play.

if that's not great, then any suggestions on what I should look at? Thanks!

The advice I've heard from many people is to do whatever gets you playing. So if $60 seems like a low-risk entry back into guitar and will get you playing - go for it.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Would you advise going electric instead of acoustic to start?
If you can't spend more than 60 I would recommend electric. I'm sure there are exceptions everywhere but the cheapest acoustic I've used that I'd recommend is a Yamaha in the $200 range. You can probably find a used electric in the 60-100 range that will at least be playable.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't spend more than 60 I would recommend electric. I'm sure there are exceptions everywhere but the cheapest acoustic I've used that I'd recommend is a Yamaha in the $200 range. You can probably find a used electric in the 60-100 range that will at least be playable.
I can spend more than $60, I'm just looking for something on the cheaper end until I'm sure I'm interested in sticking with it, then I'll drop some cash on better equipment.

If electric is easier to start on than acoustic, any advice on ones on the cheaper end that I should poke around for that are good bang for the buck?

Appreciate the help!

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
To each their own, but I thought it was easier to learn on electric. I bought a used epiphone g400 for around 250 ten years ago and still use it. I later bought a Seagull entourage acoustic for 300ish that still sounds and plays so good that I've never felt the need to upgrade.
I've read good things about Yamaha pacifica electrics, which are bit cheaper than what I mentioned above. If you're set on acoustic, the Yamaha FG800 is very playable and about 200.

Like someone said above, anything that will get you playing is good enough, i would just worry about going too low and getting something difficult to play (tough action etc) and keep in tune.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I see them as two similar but essentially different instruments. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
CRdILAt.jpg

Finally got my Kemper I'd been lusting after forever. This thing sounds fucking amazing. Got it used, and the previous owner had some 800+ profiles from various sources loaded on it. So, I've really just spent most of the day clicking through stuff and just seeing how shit sounds. Think I am going to try and figure out how to back it all up, and then delete everything I can off the Kemper so I can get down to an actually usable number of sounds.

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
I want a Kemper as well, but damn does it scare me to actually buy one. Expensive and so many buttons and knobs, I'd have no idea where to start lol. I'd probably just want to download tons of other people's good profiles.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have been surprised by how easy it is to get around. Granted, I have literally owned modelers my entire life from a Johnson J-Station, to a Boss GT6, and a billion PODS in between and up through the Helix, and now the Kemper.

But, it really is pretty plainly labeled and laid out. The top row of buttons is your signal chain, you click a corresponding button once to turn them on and off, or hold them to get their settings to pull up on the screen at which point you use the bottom half to make adjustments.

It looks like something from a science fiction story for sure, though.