• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It really doesn't like you trying to delete 816 profiles at once. 250 to go, but I keep having to restart cause it freezes up trying to do this many at once.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned it months ago when I first got it, but I am still not sure about my Mission Engineering Gemini FRFR. It is just so bassy. I have used it with helix, archetype plini, and now Kemper. I can get it sounding great. But, I feel like I am doing something wrong because I have to turn down the low end so much on every user patch/profile I download. The thing that gets me is that it has the empower knob on it that is supposed to cut the low end a bit to make it seem more like a real guitar cabinet. I don't even understand who that could be for because the FRFR setting has too much low end as is. Switching on the empower stuff just turns everything to absolute mud.

I don't know. If a Friedman ASC12 pops up used at guitar center one of these days, I might have to grab it. You get a month or whatever to return shit, and I have a local store I can walk it into. Everyone online seems to love these gemini's though. It makes me feel like mine is defective.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bass cut on guitars is a good thing imo.

When we were recording our last album, we had to cut a lot of the low end out of the guitar so that it didn't interfere with the drums and the bass frequencies. It took a while to find the right setting, because it sounds so different than what we were used to on stage, but it really helped overall and sounded way better when recording.

Guitar is a mid ranged instrument imo - like the human voice. That's why I lean towards amps and tools that emphasize mids when playing guitar.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of truth to the "if your guitar sounds good on it's own, it probably doesn't sound good in a band context."

It's hard to understand at first, though.

Also, I finally got my first Telecaster. I've wanted one for nearly 12 years now. The thing is a beauty.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is apparently essentially a master EQ I am going to fiddle with. Maybe I can get it dialed in for my room and everything, then not have to adjust every single patch to cut the bass.

But, I actually noticed something slightly off with my Kemper. One of it's knobs is a bit wonky:

z1tWIfx.gif

I know it's hard to tell from a shitty gif. But, essentially it can be finicky about me making adjustments. Can't really read the numbers, but just look at the lights. I am turning it slowly, so you SHOULD see them trail off one at a time, instead it stops registering that I am turning it and then suddenly jumps from 4 clicks to the left to two on the right to catch up to where I am. None of the other knobs have this issue. And if I sit there wiggling it I can get it to start working. Gonna try blasting it with some deoxit and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: Deoxit fixed it:

Bgp9qS6.gif

Last edited:

x.f

Nov 1, 2017
Man, seeing this thread makes me want to try learning again for the 10th time. I always get discouraged and lose interest because I can never move past the "beginner" steps to sound anywhere halfway decent. I have this Fender Blacktop Strat I got from the House of Guitars in Rochester, NY just collecting dust in a corner :(

bvY05kx.jpg

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, seeing this thread makes me want to try learning again for the 10th time. I always get discouraged and lose interest because I can never move past the "beginner" steps to sound anywhere halfway decent. I have this Fender Blacktop Strat I got from the House of Guitars in Rochester, NY just collecting dust in a corner :(

bvY05kx.jpg
Not sure if this will work as well for you as it did for me when I was learning. But, my method was basically just to force chords into muscle memory. So, I would just jump between chords while watching TV. Doing basic chord changes like C-> G -> D and run through that until I felt really comfortable. And just change it up as needed. I'd learn songs too, but once the chord fingerings were second nature, everything else got so much easier.

Good luck, that guitar's a beaut!

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always get my packages from UPS so freaking late in the day. I got an email from them today saying I had a package coming, and tells me I can watch the map live if I wanna see where it's at. I decide to pull it up while I am practicing guitar, as I am really hoping it arrives before I leave for work at 1. I see it delivering all over town all morning. To be capped off by them being literally across the street at 9:59.

The only thing over there is a Subway, and they sat there for a good 5+ minutes.

And then... out of town it goes! See you between 1:30-4:30PM!

What are you doing, UPS!?

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used to 'play' electric (never made any actual progress partly because I had a sham of a tutor) and I got a classical this year (by half chance, was meaning to get an acoustic...) and as it turns out, I'm quite fond of nylon strings, too. The guitar's one of those cheap Amazon guitars but it does the job somehow and no longer smells of paint thinner. Also, I have big-ish hands so the classical having a big fretboard is a big plus for me!

I'm learning actual chords for the first time, and I don't pressure myself at all, so mostly it's just playing bits and pieces of video game songs I like, and I'm fine with that.

Also, the fact that it's a cheap classical turned out to be an amazing excuse for looking around for a proper acoustic... I think I'll get the Yamaha FG800, but the matte version (its tone is far more mellow which I like).

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

bvY05kx.jpg
One thing is, do you have time to play? Another is do you like to play, or just like the idea of playing. A third thing could be that you have a great appreciation for guitar and love to look at an instrument that makes you feel good. Pro tip: there are no wrong answers.

Ant78

Oct 27, 2017
For a long time now I've wanted to build a guitar as a fun project. I'd been eyeing up some of those cheaper all inclusive guitar kits on ebay and other sites but after reading reviews of cheap electronics, poor fit and finish, and questionable hardware, I decided to source the parts myself and build something that could actually be a quality playable instrument.

Parts in total cost just under $800 and consist of:
Body - Rosser Guitars Tele/Strat hybrid in Ash
Neck - Warmoth Strat neck, Roasted Maple with Jumbo stainless frets
Bridge - LR Baggs Vintage Tremolo with Piezo saddles + Ctrl X preamp
Pickups - Dimarzio Illuminators
Tuners - Fender Locking tuners
Finish - Wudtone Emedald Isles with gloss clear

5g7VSKZ_d.jpg

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
For a long time now I've wanted to build a guitar as a fun project. I'd been eyeing up some of those cheaper all inclusive guitar kits on ebay and other sites but after reading reviews of cheap electronics, poor fit and finish, and questionable hardware, I decided to source the parts myself and build something that could actually be a quality playable instrument.

5g7VSKZ_d.jpg
It's fucking gorgeous man, congratz

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017

5g7VSKZ_d.jpg

Looks fantastic

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

5g7VSKZ_d.jpg
Looks amazing

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That looks fucking awesome. I was starting to look into this like a week ago and kind of got overwhelmed. But, I would love to put something together like this myself some time. Make yours blue and put a single coil in the middle and neck and I would be set.

RickPresk

May 15, 2018

5g7VSKZ_d.jpg
That looks superb, cracking job!

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Question.

So about a year ago I bought an electric guitar. Right after I bought life got annoying and I didn't have time to even touch it.

I finally have time to actually practice, however, I got a Bass for Christmas, and I personally like Bass a lot more.

Should I focus all my time on the Bass, or can I get away with 75% Bass 25% learning guitar?

I don't want to overwhelm myself, but I do kinda want to learn both.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
You'll be happy to have both, everyone I know who's into bass has a guitar to poke around with every now and then and vice versa. Enough of the musical concepts transfer between.

x.f

Nov 1, 2017

5g7VSKZ_d.jpg

Great looking guitar! Did you take any in-progress pics too?

Ant78

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys. The guitar turned out better than I expected and it has become my go to guitar. Being able to switch from the magnetic pickups to the piezo acoustic saddles or a blend of the 2 with the flick of a switch is very nice.

Unfortunately I don't have any in progress pics, I always forget to take them in the moment. I do have this Pic of the headstock with a custom water slide decal I had made as a funny take on the Fender headstock (that's my last name)
meCmwFd_d.jpg

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Question.

So about a year ago I bought an electric guitar. Right after I bought life got annoying and I didn't have time to even touch it.

I finally have time to actually practice, however, I got a Bass for Christmas, and I personally like Bass a lot more.

Should I focus all my time on the Bass, or can I get away with 75% Bass 25% learning guitar?

Its not too difficult to do both. That's what I did when I was first learning, though I started on bass and moved mostly to guitar.

Guitar might be a little harder due to chords, but the general concept will carry over.

You should practice what you want, and you'll probably find yourself wanting to play both.

5g7VSKZ_d.jpg

Nice. That's pretty good considering what it cost you. I like the green.

I had debated a custom guitar project, but in the end I just bought a strat body without a neck, and ordered a custom warmoth neck for it. Unfortunately the body was a b-stock unit and the neck pocket had been cut wrong. Had to shim the neck to get it set up properly.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here ever try out a hybrid string set? I have a set coming tomorrow that is 9's on the high end, and normal 10's on the low. I have always been terrible at bending, so wanted to give them a try.

Also have some feeler gauges coming. Finally going to learn how to setup my own guitar. With freezing winters and scorching summers here in central Illinois, I figure it is time I learn to adjust this shit on my own. Hopefully I don't break anything! Been watching a ton of youtube videos to figure it all out.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
I have a set but haven't strung them up. I'm in Buffalo so it's the same situation with cold and dryness here. I pulled out a strat I hadn't played in months last night and it's got some major neck bow. It's a 60s player so the truss rod is at the heel. I'll deal with it tonight or tomorrow.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I want to get back into playing just to have something to do and keep my mind focused. All I have is a shit acoustic, and might buy a squier bullet mustang. I wish I could afford something better, I'm tired of 'beginner' guitars.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone here ever try out a hybrid string set? I have a set coming tomorrow that is 9's on the high end, and normal 10's on the low. I have always been terrible at bending, so wanted to give them a try.

Also have some feeler gauges coming. Finally going to learn how to setup my own guitar. With freezing winters and scorching summers here in central Illinois, I figure it is time I learn to adjust this shit on my own. Hopefully I don't break anything! Been watching a ton of youtube videos to figure it all out.

Yeah, my Gibson Explorer comes stock with a 9 - 46 set. For replacements I've been using Ernie Ball, who makes a set with the same gauge. You shouldn't have any trouble with bending.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The set coming tomorrow is an Ernie ball. I have always used ghs, but I didn't see any. And I am really not a picky player, so I think I will enjoy them.

I am excited to try them out and learn how to do a setup tomorrow. Hopefully I don't break my baby.

Oct 27, 2017

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those are both killer fucking guitars, but are going to be so massively different that there is no telling at all which you would prefer. Go to a shop and try and find any higher end tele and see what you think of it. The custom 24s are PRS's most popular guitar, so you should be able to find one with a little searching.

I know I'd be buying used if I were to buy that PRS. New, you can nearly get three of those teles for the cost of that one Custom.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a problem with my guitar
One of the pickups is giving me some weird noises that sounds like a persistent kicking sound (don't really know how to describe it) and some static? It stops if I turn off the tone/volume on the pickup (it's the one that's controlled from the top knobs if I'm looking down at the guitar while holding it, not sure which one of the 2 pick is it)

You can hear it very clearly in overdrive but even without it if I set the volume and gain on the amp to max you can still hear

Does that sound familiar to anyone? Can I fix it on my own or do I need to get it to a store?

Oct 27, 2017
Those are both killer fucking guitars, but are going to be so massively different that there is no telling at all which you would prefer. Go to a shop and try and find any higher end tele and see what you think of it. The custom 24s are PRS's most popular guitar, so you should be able to find one with a little searching.

I know I'd be buying used if I were to buy that PRS. New, you can nearly get three of those teles for the cost of that one Custom.

Thanks!

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remade my man cave.../area a little over the holidays. Three of my guitars are at home (usually one is at the rehearsal place). Debating on putting another one on the wall. But I think it would make the place even busier then it already is.

I started playing using only Waves/ Neural plugins, sold all my (home) amp stuff. Works great.

dae554-1577824931.jpeg

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
something about the perspective in that picture is messing with me. the black lp looks like it's tiny if you aren't looking at the other 2 guitars.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
One of the pickups is giving me some weird noises that sounds like a persistent kicking sound (don't really know how to describe it) and some static? It stops if I turn off the tone/volume on the pickup (it's the one that's controlled from the top knobs if I'm looking down at the guitar while holding it, not sure which one of the 2 pick is it)

You can hear it very clearly in overdrive but even without it if I set the volume and gain on the amp to max you can still hear

Does that sound familiar to anyone? Can I fix it on my own or do I need to get it to a store?
Anyone? :(

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017

No idea what "a persistant kicking sound" is. Is that, like, a thumping or popping sound? Maybe stick a recording of it on YouTube or something and we'll have a better idea.

Having no idea what it is, I'm going to take a complete shot in the dark and guess "bad solder joint". I give it 50/50 odds that that's it.

As far as fixing it yourself... probably? That is, if you have even the remotest modicum of technical skill. I mean, guitar electronics are incredibly basic, and even the most ham-fisted soldering iron jockey can get the job done. There are literally nine electrical components in your guitar -- two pickups, four potentiometers, a couple tone capacitors, and an output jack. -- bodged together with solder as if it's hot-snot.

Just grab a screwdriver, open up the back cavity, and take a look. There's not much there. And the cost for (cheap) tools to replace any of it is probably about the same as actually getting it repaired. Much like learning to set up your own instrument, it's a skill that pays for itself in the end.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could be that you receive some sort of transmission signal. In my old rehearsal place I used to get FM Radio occasionally :D
Or the lights in your room are somehow fucking with your pickups (happens with fluorescent lights), or in front of a computer (when I record in front of my Mac I have to hold my guitars in a certain direction to minimize interference).

Its analog stuff, it will never be really clean if you put it under the microscope (like turning the amp volume all the way up etc). Best bring it to a tech. Maybe some solder joints are gone bad...

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
just started learning how do some sweep picking, what am I getting into here? starting out with an ez 3 stringer. am able to this scale at about 100-120 bpm (I'm only on day 1) anyone have any recommendations?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed one of my tuning heads was slightly damaged. I figured it has probably been like that since I bought it. But, decided it was a good excuse to upgrade to the latest PRS locking tuners that I had been wanting for a while. They arrived today, but are missing half the pieces. Feels bad.

Mr8Z1iL.jpg

They are missing the bushings and locking screws:

nRiRVKz.jpg

Bought them on amazon from a third party seller. Found their number online and have been trying to call them all day to no avail, so set up a return and ordered from some place else. Now I gotta ship these off and do some more waiting. Maybe next week I'll have my fancy new tuners.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PRS locking tuners are the best in the business imo, I had a lot of them (locking tuners) on a lot of guitars, Sperzel, Hipshot, Gotoh etc... nothing compares.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I accidentally bought from the EXACT same place the set I got today came from. I had bought from them on amazon, set up the return after they didn't answer their phones today. Went to ebay and saw two, one from them and one not. Accidentally clicked the wrong one. Soooooo, I guess I am giving them a second chance. LOL.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Question.

you'll find a lot of the stuff you learn on one will move to the other really well, they are in essence the same instrument in concept.
if you stick with bass then the chords will probably be the hardest thing to nail on the guitar whereas if you stick to guitar then the physical stretch required, or using your finger to play the notes, might be a bit tricky.
i'd go with what inspires you, keeping your interest is the biggest hurdle to getting good. also bassists are a bit harder to find if you've any interest in working with others musically.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be your pickups? Seems like something a proper sized capacitor should be able to fix.

I've troubleshooted by trying different cables, amps, and guitars and it's just a few of my pedals that do it. I read that it could be an electrical grounding issue with the house. I live very close to a broadcast tower though.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I've troubleshooted by trying different cables, amps, and guitars and it's just a few of my pedals that do it. I read that it could be an electrical grounding issue with the house. I live very close to a broadcast tower though.
Gotcha. Well i am no expert but it does seem like a shunt cap of the right size would be able to filter unwanted high frequency signals like AM/FM radio, which would be in the MHz range. Also maybe a ferrite bead inline with the power supplies? Does it happen with batteries?

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Hey I need help identifying my Charvel. I posted on reddit but i might have more lucky here who knows.

So my dad and I are guitar players and we both have pretty decent collections. He last year gave me this Charvel out of his closet he never ever plays. He says his really good friend, Pat Kelley, was given this charvel by Charvel themselves...but he never really vibed with it. (this is Pat Kelley by the way..he used to play with George Benson (https://youtu.be/2b4KSU2jyx0 and is a monster shredder)

Lucky for me I have been doing a lot of 80s inspired high-gain riffage so i was SUPER stoked to be given this beauty. Anyways.. Lately I have been curious exactly what the fuck it is. It has a fender headstock..so maybe post 2002? But the metal is kinda chewed up from living near the beach so I also feel like it could be older. The Kahler Trem bridge looks like the '86 model maybe..And also HSH EMG pups. I also can't seem to find a year or serial number on it. I wonder if it was custom for him or they just had a bunch of these models to give away to touring musicians in the 80s? Anyways! Any help is appreciated!
PcbQEby.jpg

2jUDuiG.jpg

DSxpyCt.jpg