• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
So yeah just watching the news and gun sales have spiked in the past week.

it's directly because of fear mongering and misinformation which I've seen from reputable news channels trying to leverage the virus for political attacks and scummy marketing trying to scare you into purchasing items.

People actually think food is going to run out, all businesses are closing forever, and world is going all road warrior.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You'll never get my toilet paper. I'll wipe your ass...WITH LEAD

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
When you're done taking a shit you just stick the gun between your legs and shoot the remaining turds off your ass.

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
You gotta shoot the virus in the air where its floatin'
tenor.gif

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Gunshop owner with big grin on local news: "This virus is the best gun salesman since Obama"

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
It's a normal response to the escalating situation currently.
When people get laid off work and have no money or food with starving children at home people will do whatever it takes to keep their family fed.
There could be potential looting and riots in the very near future. It's not fear mongering.
People want to be able to protect themselves at home against home invasions.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sadly enough this isn't surprising at all. Once the idea this virus was gonna take hold for months and people would need to quarantine themselves this was going to be inevitable.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
When people get laid off work and have no money or food with starving children at home people will do whatever it takes to keep their family fed.
There could be potential looting and riots in the very near future. It's not fear mongering.
Yeah, I don't get why people are joking about it. My friend is in the national guard and he said his state has already summoned him to help with security. He said there's been an uptick in breakins already in upper class neighborhoods.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I don't get why people are joking about it. My friend is in the national guard and he said his state has already summoned him to help with security. He said there's been an uptick in breakins already in upper class neighborhoods.
Seems like a bad long term strategy though. People should set up neighborhood watches and such instead of hunkering down at home, thinking there some one-man Rambo.

Think about it. I'm part of a home invader group. In a standard home, it's single-family. They're outnumbered. It's panic and not sensible planning.

The US's mega individualism is gonna kill us. People should be building alliances and groups.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Turning into a doomsday prepper at the drop of a hat instead of actually working with your neighbors and others to mitigate things seems like one of the worse moves you can make but that's just my take.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a bad long term strategy though. People should set up neighborhood watches and such instead of hunkering down at home, thinking there some one-man Rambo.

Think about it. I'm part of a home invader group. In a standard home, it's single-family. They're outnumbered. It's panic and not sensible planning.
I just assume most home invaders are irrational idiots. And neighborhood watches are a fine extra layer of security, but if we hit Great Depression levels of poverty (which is entirely possible), I think it's reasonable to not expect other people to be reliable. I'm anti-gun, but I am considering buying one during this crisis. I'm also Asian, so I get protection from hate crimes.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Turning into a doomsday prepper at the drop of a hat instead of actually working with your neighbors and others to mitigate things seems like one of the worse moves you can make but that's just my take.
Yep. It's so dumb. I've always hated the prepper mentality since it doesn't scale up well.

Even traditional preppers are getting smarter about this. They're focusing on building bigger social networks instead of just having the castle mentality. Think about it, we're a herd species, we do better in bigger networks, not isolated.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
They won't be your neighbors anymore once food runs out.

That's my point though. You actually try and take steps before things get bad instead of just holing yourself up in your home and hope things get better or get to shoot someone desperate. Buying a gun isn't a long term solution, its not even a very good short term solution.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My mom has specifically told me I need to buy guns and ammo because she's convinced food is going to run out and people will kill us for whatever we have.

I think there's a lot of people like her, basically.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, when Americans feel like they are losing control of their Lives, they buy a gun to make themselves feel more secure.

Instead of being a fear-mongering asshole with a gun, why not be kind to your neighbors and share with them what you might have an abundance of? That money that went into buying a gun and the ammo could have been used for food and supplies.

I get fearing theft and looting, but a gun ain't gonna fix the problem.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
My mom has specifically told me I need to buy guns and ammo because she's convinced food is going to run out and people will kill us for whatever we have.

I think there's a lot of people like her, basically.
It's hilarious how right-wing propaganda fear of the other has really messed up no? I wasn't alive during WW2, but there was we're in this together mentality. Were their accounts of mass home invasions?

It's much more likely that people are going to run out of money than we are going to run out of food. Putting entire industries on lockdown does not help people pay the bills.

This is why the Federal Government needs to pass a comprehensive stimulus and relief package. If they don't, yes start panicking.

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017

but literally non of that is happening.
No one is starving. Stores are being restocked on the normal schedules.
Some Businesses are closing for two weeks because it was the right thing to do. not because of financial burdens.
The stock market dropped because of fear but that will bounce back quickly.

It's all unfounded fear.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You guys are right we should absolutely trust the police to protect the weakest among us if things really go to shit. They've earned the trust of America over the past few years! /s

I'm not saying I'm going out to buy a gun here but the people forcing themselves to believe that this is business as usual are in the same boat as idiots going "Oh it's just the flu." If things turn sideways the US could absolutely start to see massive social unrest that local police departments can't or won't handle. And the person at the top of the chain responsible for bringing calm and leadership to the whole thing is worried that acknowledging it will hurt his portfolio. Like, of course people are buying guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.