• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The better game

• Resident Evil 4

Votes: 1,155 47.6%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,274 52.4%

• Total voters

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Resident Evil 4 is a very special game. It is what I would call close to a perfect game. Yeah sure it has some flaws.. pacing gets a bit wonky in the end as it drags on a little bit longer than it should but everything else pitch perfect.

Superlative atmosphere, Great art design, amazing enemy design all enriched by some of the best encounter and level design ever put on a disc. Every mechanic is finely tuned to make the encounters feel pitch perfect and varied. That opening oh my god...

For years I waited for a game to give me that perfect combination of atmosphere, art,combat and level design and it was Bloodborne that finally gave me that feeling. Miyazaki himself was clearly very enamored with RE4 that he included multiple references to it in the game.

From paying homage to the village section in the beginning

bloodborne_6.jpg

to this mfker

maxresdefault.jpg

and many more

Two masterful games that I thought might be fun to compare. Which is the better game?

If I were to just breakdown by different criteria I would go with Bloodborne overall

Art - Bloodborne
Combat mechanics - Equal
Level Design - Equal
Encounter Design - Equal
Bosses - Bloodborne
Enemy Design - Bloodborne
Pacing - RE4

Music - I mean listen to this and tell me its anything but Bloodborne

But.... my heart still says RE4. Something about its simple yet absorbing combat and encounter variety always has me in a state of trance when I play. I have to go with RE4 in the end.

Which is your favorite game era? I know making this choice is going to kill you :)

Diablos54

Oct 26, 2017
Easily Resident Evil 4. I loved Bloodborne, but RE4 was really something special. As a hardcore RE fan I kinda hated some of the things it did, but I couldn't deny the quality of the gameplay and mechanics.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 was the bigger change but I really like Bloodborne's style.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Bloodborne. The fact that I never played Resident Evil 4, and don't plan to, helps a lot.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Wtf. There are ppl that think RE4 sucks?
I'm aware it's a hot take, and saying it "sucks" is very much tongue in cheek, but I do not like it at all. I for the life of me don't see what people enjoy about it. It's almost 100% against my tastes I guess. I don't think it's a poorly made game necessarily.

Feb 15, 2018
Resident Evil 4 is a very special game. It is what I would call close to a perfect game. Yeah sure it has some flaws.. pacing gets a bit wonky in the end as it drags on a little bit longer than it should but everything else pitch perfect.

Superlative atmosphere, Great art design, amazing enemy design all enriched by some of the best encounter and level design ever put on a disc. Every mechanic is finely tuned to make the encounters feel pitch perfect and varied. That opening oh my god...

For years I waited for a game to give me that perfect combination of atmosphere, art,combat and level design and it was Bloodborne that finally gave me that feeling. Miyazaki himself was clearly very enamored with RE4 that he included multiple references to it in the game.

From paying homage to the village section in the beginning

bloodborne_6.jpg

to this mfker

maxresdefault.jpg

and many more

Two masterful games that I thought might be fun to compare. Which is the better game?

If I were to just breakdown by different criteria I would go with Bloodborne overall

Art - Bloodborne
Combat mechanics - Equal
Level Design - Equal
Encounter Design - Equal
Bosses - Bloodborne
Enemy Design - Bloodborne
Pacing - RE4

Music - I mean listen to this and tell me its anything but Bloodborne

But.... my heart still says RE4. Something about its simple yet absorbing combat and encounter variety always has me in a state of trance when I play. I have to go with RE4 in the end.

Which is your favorite game era? I know making this choice is going to kill you :)

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Since you're wielding a weapon and are obviously Bloodborne inclined, then I too will say Bloodborne to save my life.

(Resident Evil 4, all the way.)

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loathe Bloodborne and will never understand this communities infatuation with it. So... Resident Evil 4.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Bloodborne and have been planning on it but is that really the best example of the OST?

:/

Not that it's bad, not very memorable though

Mastermind

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I finally played resident Evil 4 last summer. Bloodborne is easily the better game. I don't understand the hype with re4.

Of the RE games that I've played, nothing has beaten co-op RE5. So good.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I'm aware it's a hot take, and saying it "sucks" is very much tongue in cheek, but I do not like it at all. I for the life of me don't see what people enjoyabout it. It's almost 100% against my tastes I guess. I don't think it's a poorly made game necessarily.

It has some of the best pacing in any video game ever. Its difficulty, combat encounters and encounter variety all contribute to its relentless pacing.

While this video does not talk about its encounter variety, Mark Brown does go into the difficulty of RE4 that highlights it better than I could.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
In 2019, Bloodborne by faaaaaaaaar. For its time, maybe RE4. Probably partly because it was one of my first games from that gen but it was an absolutely incredible leap from RE3. Bloodborne is not a revolution, it's en evolution. That said, in 2019, Bloodborne is the GOAT.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Bloodborne. RE4 isn't that good in 2019.
I don't know why y'all bring up Bloodborne every day, it's my favorite Souls game but the way Era talks about it you'd think it cures cancer or something, I doubt it'd make my top 50, I'm not too hot on Souls as a whole

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
It has some of the best pacing in any video game ever. Its difficulty, combat encounters and encounter variety all contribute to its relentless pacing.

While this video does not talk about its encounter variety, Mark Brown does go into the difficulty of RE4 that highlights it better than I could.
This is probably only noticeable if you don't find the general gameplay absolutely exhausting and universally antifun.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty easy for me, Bloodborne.
RE4 was pretty damn amazing back when it released, but going back to it the controls are such a pain half the time, it was a masterpiece back then but playing it right now it doesn't control very well at all, it's still great due to the atmosphere, story, pacing, but BB still has amazing gameplay on top of everything else.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
RE4 is the best game of all time and its only significant weakness is the lack of chapter select. It's shockingly close to perfect, given its complexity.

Bloodborne is top 5 for me tbh but @ me when it has quick load times and a smooth framerate for starters.