• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The better game

• Resident Evil 4

Votes: 1,155 47.6%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,274 52.4%

• Total voters

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Most of you must be young, that explains the votes, If you had played RE4 when it was released on GameCube you had no doubt about which one is the best game, you have to consider that and not what game looks and play better today

Bought RE4 day one for my gamecube. It's still on my top 10, but I prefer Bloodborne over it.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of you must be young, that explains the votes, If you had played RE4 when it was released on GameCube you had no doubt about which one is the best game, you have to consider that and not what game looks and play better today
I bought RE4 for my GameCube at release. Then for PS2, then for Wii and for PS4... And I still think that at least for me Bloodborne it's a better game. It's a better pack for me because I love the gameplay and the aesthetics are a joy for me as a die hard horror fan. RE4 it's an awesome game, but I will always have some complains about "taking care" of Ashley or the military stuff. RE4 it's a 99.9/100 and Bloodborne a 100/100 haha.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Having a second thought on this poll it's a shame that BB is winning, it reflects that most of u kiddos probably havent even played it.
The poll results are a real tell regarding the age demographics, or at least generation demographics, of ERA. Us wise old fogies are outnumbered.

There's no need to belittle the results, just because they don't align with your personal tastes.

I'm 44, probably among the oldest on the thread, and I voted for Bloodborne. I'm a longtime horror fan, so I had played all Resident Evil mainline games, in fact, RE1 pretty much brought me back to gaming, until RE4 turned me away from the series. Personally, I'd put the original RE2 over it, despite of the PS1 looks, but even it wouldn't top BB for me. I didn't care much about the RE2 remake due to how Mr. Chase changed the classic for the worse.

Sep 12, 2018
The thing is you can just as easily make the "you obviously haven't played it either" argument in Bloodborne's favor too given how opaque and challenging those games are.

If anything Bloodborne edging out a lead is a testament to just what a great achievement it is.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Bloodborne as replaying RE4 has driven home that I really dislike quick time events, especially in light of the lack of the things in REmake and RE2 remake.

Bloodborne better controls, better art direction/setting, and a lack of quick time shenanigans.

Oct 28, 2017
This thread got me thinking. Is there a western made game in recent times that comes close to re4, bloodborne and BOTW?

Perhaps the Witcher 3 or gta5?

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
The thing is you can just as easily make the "you obviously haven't played it either" argument in Bloodborne's favor too given how opaque and challenging those games are.

If anything Bloodborne edging out a lead is a testament to just what a great achievement it is.

Agreed.

This thread got me thinking. Is there a western made game in recent times that comes close to re4, bloodborne and BOTW?

Perhaps the Witcher 3 or gta5?

I don't think those two are quite there, when it comes to gameplay and level design. The Last of Us might be though, perhaps Soul Reaver as well aside from combat and block puzzles. SR certainly had unique boss battles, and intriguing story & world building. In a sense BB reminded me of it with its intertwined world in ruins, and slowly unfolding mysteries.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
Resi4's cred is tied up in nostalgia, it's not nearly as good as people make out.

Bloodborne, easy.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of question is that? The answer is Resident Evil 4 and it's not even close. Bloodborne isn't even the best souls game, it has horrible replayability and atrocious multiplayer, and the level design is just plain uninspired and lifted from Dark Souls. RE4 re-invented video games for the better, and saved Resident Evil.

Bloodborne has 'plain and uninspired' level design

Imagine being this wrong about something

Also the answer is Bloodborne. RE4 is great but has not aged well at all.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I've played both and I've no idea which is better because I don't know how to quantify such a thing,They are both great games that's for sure.
Bloodborne gets the vote from me based on setting and lore alone.When I account for the challenging game play and great Miyazaki styled game design it becomes a no brainer.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
People judging RE4 by today' standards

How can anyone that was alive during RE4's launch go for Bloodborne is beyond me

Bloodborne is amazing, but RE 4 was something from the future. It changed the industry in ways that Bloodborne didn't.
Maybe Demon's Souls would be a better contender, since it was an inovation at the time, but even then ...

Over the shoulder camera wasn't a thing before RE 4. The audio/visual presentation was unnmatched. Cutscene direction was far ahead anything at the time.

I think that this time your love for Bloodborne went too far, Era lol

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017

How can anyone that was alive during RE4's launch go for Bloodborne is beyond me

Bloodborne is amazing, but RE 4 was something from the future. It changed the industry in ways that Bloodborne didn't.
Maybe Demon's Souls would be a better contender, since it was an inovation at the time, but even then ...

Over the shoulder camera wasn't a thing before RE 4. The audio/visual presentation was unnmatched. Cutscene direction was far ahead anything at the time.

None of that would matter in terms of discussing which game plays better today though? Like I said if influence was the criteria than we can always stop at pong being the best game in the world.

Truly great games stand the test of time. I think RE4 does btw.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Resident Evil 4. The quality and impact on the industry is not even comparable. Might have to think twice if it was Dark Souls. Bloodborne? Nah.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Amazing how close this poll is! Most of the time one game simply crushes the other, but this is really exciting.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
None of that would matter in terms of discussing which game plays better today though? Like I said if influence was the criteria than we can always stop at pong being the best game in the world.

Truly great games stand the test of time. I think RE4 does btw.

This kind of discussion is brought up over the years again and again, and the same goes for "best movies" polls over the internet.

Watching The Matrix nowadays is not the same as watching it back then. It's flaws are much more noticable now because action movie coreography evolved, CGI evolved and etc.

So It's fair to go beyond my personal experiences today, and try to remember what I felt at the time, the cultural/industry impact and etc.

If we always just go by our present standards, the discussion becomes meaningless imo

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 was a game that fundamentally changed a genre. Bloodborne is just a really good game. As a game RE4 still holds up extremely well. You could say the same for Bloodborne, of course, but that game is much newer. When it's 14 years old we can discuss if it stood the test of time as well as RE4 did.
Well, Demon's Souls is already 10 and I still think it's a better game than RE4.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I loved RE4 back in the day (I had a GC but I think I bought it for PS2 actually), but I've no desire to play it again. BB, I'll pick up right now and do a platinum run. It's just personal preference, eh. They're both great games, what's the comparison exactly, that there is a horror theme?

Oct 25, 2017

But see, this is why I think RE4's influence is greatly overstated in the context of this thread. It's much more of a technological innovation than a design one. People previously mentioned in this thread "you can feel RE4's influence to this date when playing Uncharted 4", and while that's technically true, you can't feel RE4's level and enemy design in Uncharted 4, you can't feel the precise limb damage to set up unique melee finishers, you can't feel the importance of positioning due to the limitations of your character's movement.

RE4's camera angle revolutionized gaming. Its specific game design elements? Not so much, unfortunately. Kill.Switch came before and even had a cover system, by the way, which is more what newer TPS would lean into than RE4's superb gameplay. RE4 was just more famous and better, and was around when 3D gaming was early enough that a camera position could be considered revolutionary. Don't you remember people shitting on RE5 for not being able to move and shoot at the same time, while pointing to games with vastly inferior combat to show how it should be done? No one gave a shit about what made RE4~5 gameplay good, unfortunately, they only wanted the most superficial elements to remain.

Miyazaki, on the other hand, changed the way people who were making games long before he decided to join the industry think about level design and combat pace. God of War was around before Miyazaki joined the industry, the newer God of War namedropped Dark Souls in interviews to talk about the combat pace, and Bloodborne as an inspiration in level design. The organic multiplayer introduced in Demon's Souls would find its way to Watch Dogs, of all things. This is the game design itself being influential and impacting the industry, not just realizing that they can copy a camera position and then do their own thing with pretty much anything else.

It's still a fact that RE4 had a bigger impact on the industry, but the reason for that has nothing to do with a "which is the better game" discussion.

To this day I think Demon's Souls is criminally underrated by the SoulseBourne crowd, and probably wasn't even played by half of them. :(
I definitely think the reason why it's underrated is because a lot of people didn't play them. I feel like the series really exploded in popularity with the PC release of Dark Souls 1, so on PC you don't have Demon's, and people who started playing them when the PS4 was already around can now play every single game in the series on the PS4, except for Demon's. Most won't bother to go back to the PS3 for one game, and that's assuming they even have a PS3.

It's a shame Sony didn't remaster it. They're probably saving it for the PS5 to make a bigger impact, but "a bigger impact" will surely come with artistic changes that may not be for the better. I wish everyone could experience it in a close-to-original way. That atmosphere is superb. It's not my favorite in the series or anything, but it's unique enough that I still find myself going back to it frequently, and that to me is more important than just being better.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
This kind of discussion is brought up over the years again and again, and the same goes for "best movies" polls over the internet.

Watching The Matrix nowadays is not the same as watching it back then. It's flaws are much more noticable now because action movie coreography evolved, CGI evolved and etc.

So It's fair to go beyond my personal experiences today, and try to remember what I felt at the time, the cultural/industry impact and etc.

If we always just go by our present standards, the discussion becomes meaningless imo

If Matrix viewed through today's lens is not as good as what it was viewing it in 1999 than all that means is the movie has not aged well and would not make it in the best made action movies list as of 2019. I am not sure why that is controversial or wrong to state?

I still think Matrix is an excellent action movie to watch today and hangs with the best action movies ever made despite the fight choreography showing its age btw. A lot goes into making an action scene special that goes beyond just the choreography - Context, music, stakes, cinematography etc.. Matrix excels in those even when compared to moves from today's lens.

Another example of a movie that came out in 1991 that still beats the shit out of today's films even with evolving CGI and Tech. -Terminator 2

Infinity war and End game have all the money and CGI in the world and yet their action sequences pale in comparison to the brilliance of T2. That is what makes the hall mark of a truly great movie. T2 will not show its age a 100 years from now. It will still be as fantastic as it was back then. Same with Mad Max Fury Road.

I dont buy the argument that you cannot compare art from different era because of reasons like - 'you had to be there at that time to get it'

Good art is good art and will stand the test of time.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

That also means there's a nostalgia factor, particularly if the person played RE4 when (s)he was young. I was 30 at the time, so I don't look back to it with such rose-tinted glasses. I based my vote for BB on what I enjoyed more at the time it was released and now, which offered me more replay value, and had a more profound personal impact. After all, the poll is about personal favorites, not a cultural impact.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017

The topic asks which IS the better game. It IS 2019. Why would I answer which game was more influential to a question which is the better game? Maybe if the question had been written which WAS the better game. Good, better, best. Bloodborne is more enjoyable.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Played it day one. Didn't like it, still don't like. I'm not a particular fan of Bloodborne either, but it's still better than RE4.

The topic asks which IS the better game. It IS 2019. Why would I answer which game was more influential to a question which is the better game?
Exactly. The question wasn't "which was more influental?". Everyone has their own definition of "good/better".

ShadowMurloc

Oct 30, 2017
Sydney Australia
I love what I've played of Bloodborne, but the FROM formula just doesn't work for me. I'm sure I could get through the game but I get frustrated by the slog. Just don't have the patience to trudge back to a boss for the tenth time. I won't deny how masterful the game is however and I'm sure if it ever clicks with me its gonna be one of my all time favourites.
Meanwhile Resident Evil 4 IS one of my all time favourites so it gets my vote

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
BB without a doubt. Gameplay, level design, art, soundtrack...
But I have never been a fan of RE4. I find it quite overrated.