• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The better game

• Resident Evil 4

Votes: 1,155 47.6%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,274 52.4%

• Total voters

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
RE4. The impact it had on gaming is something BB won't be never close to. The game is not perfect, but the sensation of playing it on GC at launch was pure magic, the graphics, gameplay, level design, bad representation of Spain... Everything is amazing and it was really fresh back then.

On the other hand BB is another Souls game, not even the best one, and never captures the magic the first Dark Souls had. It has been surpassed by Sekiro as the 2nd best Miyazaki game too. And it's a wonderful game, best Ps4 exclusive by far and top 10-15 from this generation (which is high praise), but it can't compare to the timeless classic that is RE4.

At least BB is consistently great and doesn't shit the bed in its back half like Dark Souls 1, which in itself always came across to me as a poor man's Demon's Souls

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Choosing RE4 or BB over BOTW souns like madness to me tbh.

RE4 is pitch perfection. Nothing except for the pacing issues slightly in the end.

I can think of so many flaws for BOTW in comparison - Terrible combat, horrible bosses, mediocre dungeon variety. It does open world level design better than any other game. But that is about it.. I dont think BOTW comes close to RE4's greatness. Not even close imo.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
I voted Bloodborne but RE4 was my favourite game of all time until Bloodborne (and then BOTW) so I understand the 50/50 split in the poll.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
At least BB is consistently great and doesn't shit the bed in its back half like Dark Souls 1, which in itself always came across to me as a poor man's Demon's Souls
Strongly disagree. Central Yharnam, Cathedral Ward, Old Yharnam... are great. The woods, Yahargul re-visited, the nightmares... are not. Not as bad as the 2nd half of DkS (first BB half is not close to be as good as the first half od DkS either), but not consistent at all. In fact, DkS III and Sekiro are far more consistent in the later areas than BB.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
That's hard, but in the end i would choose Bloodborne. The gameplay, the atmosphere, I'm a sucker for victorian era artstyle, It's like the modern day castlevania that i've always wanted.

Oct 26, 2017
Well I like only one of those so it's pretty easy for me. Resident Evil 4 an infinite amount of times over Bloodborne. So far my favorite Resident Evil until potentially 7 or 2 Remake dethrone it whenever I get around to them

RE4 vs BOTW. Anyone who chooses BOTW over it are nuts I tell you. Nuts! :)
I'd choose BotW over both games put together and I think Resident Evil 4 is one of the highlights from its generation

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Bloodborne and have been planning on it but is that really the best example of the OST?

:/

Not that it's bad, not very memorable though

Bloodborne's OST is quite possibly the best this gen and in my top 3 of all time. BSB's theme is good but there are so many others which just topple it. One of the reason I always look forward to Fromsoft's titles is their OST and this game didn't disappoint.

This theme right here is my favorite and it comes attached with a boss I thought was a throw away until I took a meteor to the face. Oh and if it wasn't clear I choose Bloodborne.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
There is literally nothing else quite like Bloodborne.

Bloodborne is just another souls game. Saying there is nothing quite like it, is incredibly hyperbolic. Resident Evil 4 is a genre defining game that is way more important to the "canon" of video games than Bloodborne will ever be.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
BB has actual thematic and artistic unity which RE4 doesn't even hope to achieve.

RE4 did one ingenius move with its camera perspective but the rest doesn't quite hold up.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Bloodborne is just another souls game. Saying there is nothing quite like it, is incredibly hyperbolic. Resident Evil 4 is a genre defining game that is way more important to the "canon" of video games than Bloodborne will ever be.

None of that matters in discussions on which is the better game to play today. Otherwise all discussions on best game would have probably stopped at Pong or something. Not that I disagree with the choice of RE4. It is my favourite too!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
RE4 is pitch perfection. Nothing except for the pacing issues slightly in the end.

I can think of so many flaws for BOTW in comparison - Terrible combat, horrible bosses, mediocre dungeon variety. It does open world level design better than any other game. But that is about it.. I dont think BOTW comes close to RE4's greatness. Not even close imo.
Thing is, exploration and discovery in BotW are almost perfect, so they carry the entire game for me. I prefer a game that offers something really memorable that a game that is trying to be good all-around. And this is what BotW does to me, the perfect adventure of discovery. RE4 works far better on some aspects, but both RE4 and BB are far less ambitious games that offer a far more limited experience (which is ok of course, but means that they can polish more everything).

So yeah, my favorite game is the one that offers an experience I can't get on any other game, the second one is the game that re-invented a saga and offered one of the most memorable and best paced linear adventures ever, and the last one is the game that only uses a well-established formula with a new setting without offering nothing really new (even if the setting and lore are amazing).

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I didn't vote for Bloodborne, I voted for not Resident Evil.

I'm not particularly fond of either game, but i really dislike all things Resident Evil.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strongly disagree. Central Yharnam, Cathedral Ward, Old Yharnam... are great. The woods, Yahargul re-visited, the nightmares... are not. Not as bad as the 2nd half of DkS (first BB half is not close to be as good as the first half od DkS either), but not consistent at all. In fact, DkS III and Sekiro are far more consistent in the later areas than BB.
Neither reach the same highs as Bloodborne. Also disagree your opinion on those BB areas

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Though I love Bloodborne, it is RE4 no contest. I go back to it every year and do a run. Not many games have ever made me do that.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, I picked the game the didn't have you babysit an annoying NPC for a third of the game.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

And in saying that it shows that you don't quite understand that game. Anyway, my statement was in no way meant denigrate RE4, which is undoubtably one of the most influential video games of all time. So I don't know why you needed to share your insecurity about by my choice.

Cheers. I will not be justifying myself further. The OP asked a question and I answered my truth.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is my game of the generation but RE4 changed my life. Cemented my love of the franchise and forged one of the most enduring friendships I've experienced. Gotta give it to mah boi Leon.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Voted RE4 but honestly it came down to a coin flip.

Tough one to call. Both of them are utterly brilliant games.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Both are masterpieces and in my top 10 games. I voted for RE4 because there's nothing like it and it has no major issues unlike Bloodborne which has the frame pacing problem and chalice dungeons.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Bloodborne by a mile. It's a game that sticks in my brain like no other. Always there. Spinning. Pulsating. Blinking.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Thing is, exploration and discovery in BotW are almost perfect, so they carry the entire game for me. I prefer a game that offers something really memorable that a game that is trying to be good all-around. And this is what BotW does to me, the perfect adventure of discovery. RE4 works far better on some aspects, but both RE4 and BB are far less ambitious games that offer a far more limited experience (which is ok of course, but means that they can polish more everything).

So yeah, my favorite game is the one that offers an experience I can't get on any other game, the second one is the game that re-invented a saga and offered one of the most memorable and best paced linear adventures ever, and the last one is the game that only uses a well-established formula with a new setting without offering nothing really new (even if the setting and lore are amazing).

That's fair. RE4 does everything well. BOTW's core which is exploring Hyrule is done phenomenally well. It is a masterpiece in overworld design. Best of this gen easily. But combat does make a significant enough portion of the experience to me to warrant that criticism. With RE4 I cannot think of any.

Also I fundamentally disagree with the assertion that RE4 is less ambitious. Everything about RE4's encounter design, offset camera angle screamed ambition to me. At least most certainly for its time.

Not that this point played a role in me choosing RE4 in this poll but I think RE4 has had a bigger impact on games than BOTW. It fundamentally changed TPS games both in linear and open world games. BOTW improved on elements of Skyrim but I do not forsee it being as impactful as even Witcher 3 for open world games going forward. It might impact a specific kind of open world game set in open plains but I do not see it being as influential as RE4. Of course only time will tell.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont remember the last time someone said something bad about Bloodborne, so I would actually like to hear 2 or 3 things you think are bad about Bloodborne. You can keep it short and simple, im just curious.

One of my biggest gripes with bloodborne is coming from Dark Souls I absolutely hated how Bloodborne railroaded you into playing a very specific way. I think one of Dark Souls best strengths is the vast number of ways you can go at the game. Sure, each of the trick weapons had their own cadence for attacking with it but the game still very much revolved around just dodging and using the gun parry. And that bummed me out.

Oct 31, 2017
Bloodborne is an amazing game, one of the absolute best of this generation. But Resident Evil 4 is one of the absolute peak, all time great games. Like, Super Mario Brothers level of incredible, genre & control defining, timeless video games.

I almost suspect that people favoring BB more played Resident Evil 4 after it initially released with Bloodborne at release. As someone who played both as they released, Resident Evil 4 I think takes it.

I honestly need to go back and play more Bloodborne, and I'm actually kind of surprised that RE4 isn't winning this.