• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The better game

• Resident Evil 4

Votes: 1,155 47.6%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,274 52.4%

• Total voters

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Bloodborne. By a significant margin.

RE4 has an incredibly strong first half and overall wonderful gameplay, but the story is trite and the last quarter of the game is just shit.

Bloodborne is consistently excellent and ramps things up at the end. It also took the From/Dark Souls gameplay and made it faster/more offense based. BB's lore is masterclass.

Miyazaki also shits on Mikami from great heights artistically

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I'm Spanish and we weren't paying with Pesetas the time the game is ambiented on, we don't speak in a strange accent (which doesn't sound spanish at all), we don't live in a middle-age setting (at least not in Barcelona)... The part about trying to kill Americanos at first sight is true though...
Oh, i thought you were talking about the bad weather, the cults and also tentacles coming out of your chest. Good to know at least some of it is representative.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4, but by a tiny hair. They're both in my top 5 of all time.

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
Outside of the idea of a cosmic horror video game, pretty much 0 percent of Bloodborne does anything at all for me. Small stuff rolls together to create something that is just very much not my bag.
RE4 tho...wowee am I into that. Just reading the name makes me wanna play if again

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Also I fundamentally disagree with the assertion that RE4 is less ambitious. Everything about RE4's encounter design, offset camera angle screamed ambition to me. At least most certainly for its time.
Well yeah, I was talking about the ambition of creating a big, expansive and full of possibilities game. BotW is more ambitious when talking about what the player can do and how much meaningful content the game offers. Re4 was more ambitious on creating a tightly-paced and full of really fun encounters game. It was gorgeous when it released (it is gorgeous now too) and the change over RE3 or other older RE games was really ambitious too (same can be said about BotW evolving from SS).

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Bloodborne is an amazing game, one of the absolute best of this generation. But Resident Evil 4 is one of the absolute peak, all time great games. Like, Super Mario Brothers level of incredible, genre & control defining, timeless video games.

I almost suspect that people favoring BB more played Resident Evil 4 after it initially released with Bloodborne at release. As someone who played both as they released, Resident Evil 4 I think takes it.

I honestly need to go back and play more Bloodborne, and I'm actually kind of surprised that RE4 isn't winning this.

I never got the RE4 aged badly comments too. Someone who has never played RE4 before should still be able to play it today and appreciate its perfection. The encounters are carefully designed around its mechanics so limitations like not being able to move and shoot should not really matter for someone willing to learn the games rules and respecting it.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
One of my biggest gripes with bloodborne is coming from Dark Souls I absolutely hated how Bloodborne railroaded you into playing a very specific way. I think one of Dark Souls best strengths is the vast number of ways you can go at the game. Sure, each of the trick weapons had their own cadence for attacking with it but the game still very much revolved around just dodging and using the gun parry. And that bummed me out.
I dont mind that because each weapon has a bigger moveset than any previous Darksouls weapon but you are talking more about the build than the actual weapons (like being a long range mage or whatever). I prefer that honestly because id rather have a bigger moveset than having more build paths that I wont use but that is just because im more input focused than rpg focused.

Oct 26, 2017
I never got the RE4 aged badly comments too. Someone who has never played RE4 before should still be able to play it today and appreciate its perfection. The encounters are carefully designed around its mechanics so limitations like not being able to move and shoot should not really matter for someone willing to learn the games rules and respecting it.
Ehh...if someone isn't used to how it plays or is more used to more modern third person games instead, I can totally see them having a tough time trying to get used to it. I think it plays just fine but, when I hand it over to friends, some of them struggle a bit, at least enough for them to not enjoy it as much as I do

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this was harder than I thought but I made a split decision for RE4–I love both games to death but there is something about RE4 that will always make it perfect for me.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont mind that because each weapon has a bigger moveset than any previous Darksouls weapon but you are talking more about the build than the actual weapons (like being a long range mage or whatever). I prefer that honestly because id rather have a bigger moveset than having more build paths that I wont use but that is just because im more input focused than rpg focused.

And I think that is maybe were we differ on that because I look at the souls games as RPG's first and formost that just happen to have a pretty good combat system. Funnily enough I actually really enjoyed Sekiro quite a lot but I think that's because they kind of went allllllll the way into just full on action game and dropped the stat building aspect pretty much entirely.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
orcaFxD.png

Hmm...

Sir_Android

Nov 11, 2017
Resident Evil 4 does more for 2005 than Bloodborne does for 2015, but Bloodborne is better iteratively and as a "start to finish" experience.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Played both as they released. While I love Resident Evil 4 on my GameCube and the Village intro is seriously one of the best intros to a game ever, I think parts of the castle and last areas / dealing with Ashley in the backhalf of the game really brings it down a notch. Bloodborne, to me is a flawless experience from beginning to end. The characters, the somber oppressive vibes, how the world connects, the lore, how the trick weapons and combat feels, the bosses, one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. It just stands way above it IMO.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Way too early to be putting RE4 against Bloodbourne. Give it 10 years, then see if Bloodbourne is still in the consideration.

That said, from sheer impact on the gaming world, Bloodbourne is nothing. RE4 didn't just reinvigorate one game series, but it basically defined all third person action games from then forward. Bloodbourne doesn't have that legacy, and it's unlikely to (but again, who knows what time will tell on that I guess)

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Resident evil 4, no question.

Bloodborne ain't even the best Souls game. It's like fourth. Game is super overrated. RE4 is a masterpiece.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I feel RE4 is timeless. You can just get into it and play it all the way through. I have to be in a certain mindset or mood for bloodborne.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
And I think that is maybe were we differ on that because I look at the souls games as RPG's first and formost that just happen to have a pretty good combat system. Funnily enough I actually really enjoyed Sekiro quite a lot but I think that's because they kind of went allllllll the way into just full on action game and dropped the stat building aspect pretty much entirely.
Bloodborne now that I think about it like a balance between RPG and action with full RPG being Darksouls and Sekiro being full action so it does depend on what side of that you like more so I get it if you want to do more weird stuff with your character. I definitely look at Bloodborne first and formost as an action game so the RPG stuff for me is just fashion and weapon styles. This was actually an insightful exchange lol.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
User Warned: Driveby trolling
I'd be willing to bet most people voting bloodborne weren't even able to hold a controller in 2004.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
The Souls games are bad. Resident Evil 4 is good, though it hasn't aged incredibly well. Resident Evil 4 wins.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
That said, from sheer impact on the gaming world, Bloodbourne is nothing. RE4 didn't just reinvigorate one game series, but it basically defined all third person action games from then forward. Bloodbourne doesn't have that legacy, and it's unlikely to (but again, who knows what time will tell on that I guess)
Not really. RE4 defined the position of the camera, but everyone who tried copying it failed to learn anything from it. It led straight to Gears of War and Uncharted which turned out to be much more influential, to the detriment of the entire genre.
The fact that RE4's style of slow, methodical shooter combat died after one game might be the greatest game design injustice.

I only finished Resident Evil 4 for the first time earlier this year and it was a revelation. It feels so much better than the first person shooters that followed, it's entirely fucked up.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
And..? Even better they're (we're) able to play RE4 without nostalgia and see it as the middling game it is.
RE4 is a wonderful game today, with or without nostalgia. Hell, the fact that is 50/50 on the poll after almost 15 years proves how important the game is. I'm sure than in 10 years, BB won't be as half as popular and well-regarded as RE4 is now.