• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
German indie developer NG:DEV TEAM has just revealed that Gunlord will be making a comeback on Nintendo Switch under the new name of Gunlord X.

Gunlord is a side-scrolling run 'n gun title which released as a brand new game for the Neo Geo in 2012, despite the system being over 20 years old at the time. Featuring non-linear stages,16-bit hand-drawn graphics, and a solid 60 fps, the game took a hefty dose of inspiration from the Amiga classic Turrican (which, in turn, actually borrowed elements from Nintendo's Metroid series).

edit (update) 8th of may:

press release:
Gunlord X is a eurostyle platformer with emphasis on exploring huge worlds and blasting off enemies.
This game features 11 stages of exciting 2D game play with over 60 unique enemy types. Blast yourself through giant landscapes, explore caverns and reveal all secrets!

Welcome to Gunlord X - A vastly improved Gunlord port coming to Switch in 2019!

The critically acclaimed platform action game Gunlord developed by NGDEV in 2012 comes back to the Switch in 2019. The game received an intense "Hi-Bit" overhaul for modern game consoles in a widescreen format. Additionally new boss enemies and extended stages were added.

New info (see [NGDEV] Timm's post No44 below):

- Significantly increased level size of the later levels offering new secrets and challenges.
- 4 new boss enemies
- Added a completely new horizontal jet pack stage
- Permanent continue and shortcut/level warp unlocks by collecting all big diamonds in stage.
- Auto save and level select features (you can revisit already beat stages at any time)
- Accomplishments screens and statistics screens for speedrunners
- Limited enemy respawns to essential enemies.
- Added Newgame+ (for speedrunning and new secrets)
- Increased the viewport to widescreen
- Improved viewport scrolling
- Scanline/RGB CRT TV shader
- Increased sprite/particle effects
- Added alpha blending special FX (Hi-Bit "32-bit" style)
- Added parallax scrolling elements
- Added new music tracks
- Improved controls (direct control over the 360° snake beam with R Stick)
- Optional modern twin stick controls (control movement and shooting direction independently)
- Fully customizable controls
- Improved difficulty curve especially on bosses
- Rebalanced weapon powerlevels
- Added a new power shot weapon
- Stable 60 fps in both docked/undocked mode
- HD rumble

Trailer:

Release date: 22nd of May (NOA/NOE)
Price: $9.99/9.99 EUR

QJ9eIAg.png

nHcgvFj.jpg

l700htQ.jpg

AEr4xPi.png

gameplay vid (neogeo)

This seems to be basicly Turrican 2.0 . I've never played the neogeo/DC versions, so I can't wait for the switch rerelease!
Man, Switch is killing it with arcade 2D shooting fun.

run (but don't gun) me down if old

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Inspiration? This is more like a clone of Turrican.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
WHATTT??? For real? Man, I've been thinking about Games from NG:Dev team recently so hopefully this is a sign their other games might come as well.

For those who don't know, NG:Dev team makes some awesome Shmups and side-scrollers but their games are produced at very limited number for Neo Geo (and some for Dreamcast) and are very expensive. The Neo Geo versions are usually MSRP at $500.

[NGDEV] Timm

Aug 22, 2018
Hannover, Germany
Thanks for making this thread.

We are currently working on the official website for Gunlord X.
A trailer will follow us soon as we have an eShop date.

We still have about 2 weeks worth of upgrades before we commit to Lotcheck.

This version is heavily upgraded and tweaked (about a 1000 changes) hence the X in the name.
The game is also retooled to be more a handheld/console game instead of arcade.
It's btw. widescreen-ish especially in docked mode (720p).

More details will follow soon.

They were in Factor 5's booth at Gamescom lol.

Yeah, that was awesome of the F5 guys.
Turrican Amiga was my first original game purchase, I loved it. I had the "World of Turrican" poster for years in my childhood room and still have the original box and disc.
Big thanks to Lutz Osterkorn for making this happen!

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamaustrian

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Thanks for making this thread.

We are currently working on the official website for Gunlord X.
A trailer will follow us soon as we have an eShop date.

We still have about 2 weeks worth of upgrades before we commit to Lotcheck.

This version is heavily upgraded and tweaked (about a 1000 changes) hence the X in the name.
The game is also retooled to be more a handheld/console game instead of arcade.
It's btw. widescreen-ish especially in docked mode (720p).

More details will follow soon.

Yeah, that was awesome of the F5 guys.
Turrican Amiga was my first original game purchase, I loved it. I had the "World of Turrican" poster for years in my childhood room and still have the original box and disc.
Big thanks to Lutz Osterkorn for making this happen!

no prob
I already played Turrican on my amiga back in the days but really got into them on the Snes with "Super Turrican 2" (I know that some hardcore fans kinda dislike it for being not "true" enough) being my fav. the production value, soundtrack and bosses are just off the charts. It's just crazy what Factor 5 could do with the snes hardware. I mean, Super Turrican (1) on Snes was already a technical marvel (4Mb!) but the second is just nuts all around.
The transparent laser will always remain as one of my fav VG weapons ever.

I really can't wait what you have up your sleeves with Gunlord X and I think it will find a perfect home on switch as classic games seem to do really great on it.

[NGDEV] Timm

Aug 22, 2018
Hannover, Germany
What has the development process been like on Switch compared to Neo Geo, that you guys normally work on?

Very pleasant. Developing for NEOGEO is very difficult in comparison. Just using C/C++ (no assembly) and a modern compiler for change is super nice. Direct debugging in C instead of assembly code. No archaic 1990 DOS tools etc...

It's great to have suddenly "unlimited" 2D power.

On NEOGEO half the stuff we want to do is just not possible or takes 4x the time to develop.
Developing for 16 bit is basically hard mode (8 bit being very hard mode). I still love the NEOGEO and it's challenge though.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Yes! I actually hoped that NG:DEV TEAM will start porting their games to the Switch. I will get this day 1.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Very pleasant. Developing for NEOGEO is very difficult in comparison. Just using C/C++ (no assembly) and a modern compiler for change is super nice. Direct debugging in C instead of assembly code. No archaic 1990 DOS tools etc...

On NEOGEO half the stuff we want to do is just not possible or takes 4x the time to develop.
Developing for 16 bit is basically hard mode (8 bit being very hard mode). I still love the NEOGEO and it's challenge though.

Thanks for that. Great response.

This is a day one purchase for me. What's Nintendo been like so far?

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017

Any plans for other platforms?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Day uno.
It's unlikely we ever get new Turrican games so a good "clone" is welcomed.

[NGDEV] Timm

Aug 22, 2018
Hannover, Germany

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

[NGDEV] Timm

Aug 22, 2018
Hannover, Germany
We have multiple offers, but we haven't done the final decision yet. If it gets drowned in eShop for whatever reasons this could be the only source of income and we need to choose wisely.

Erdnuckel01

Oct 29, 2017

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This always struck me as more of a console game than arcade game, but I'm still interested enough to pick it up on Switch probably.

[NGDEV] Timm

Aug 22, 2018
Hannover, Germany
Not sure if it's okay to post the press release here?

Offical website with press kit etc. : http://www.gun-lord.com

Here is an excerpt:

Gunlord X is a eurostyle platformer with emphasis on exploring huge worlds and blasting off enemies.
This game features 11 stages of exciting 2D game play with over 60 unique enemy types. Blast yourself through giant landscapes, explore caverns and reveal all secrets!

The critically acclaimed platform action game Gunlord developed by NGDEV in 2012 comes back to the Switch in 2019. The game received an intense "Hi-Bit" overhaul for modern game consoles in a widescreen format. Additionally new boss enemies and extended stages were added.

Here's a quick overview feature list:

- Significantly increased level size of the later levels offering new secrets and challenges.
- 4 new boss enemies
- Permanent continue and shortcut/level warp unlocks by collecting all big diamonds in stage.
- Auto save and level select features (you can revisit already beat stages at any time)
- Added new music tracks
- Optional modern twin stick controls (control movement and shooting direction independently)
- HD rumble

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Not sure if it's okay to post the press release here?

Offical website with press kit etc. : http://www.gun-lord.com

Here is an excerpt:

Here's a quick overview feature list:

- 4 new boss enemies
- Added new music tracks
- HD rumble

Excellent!!

Have you got an idea on price yet?

Also, I'll quote your post over on the Nintendo eShop thread - May 2019