• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Posted on behalf of GermanSy

What is Gwent?

Gwent is an online card game developed by CD Projekt RED, and was originally a mini-game featured in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt! It is free to play and currently in open beta, so now is an ideal time to join a growing community to enjoy and help shape the game!

The game is currently in beta status, and is available on the PC, Xbox, and Playstation consoles; with a mobile version is currently in development.

Rbni80j.png

Competitive Play

Aside from casual play, Gwent has a competitive element for those interested in climbing and competing against players from around the world. The game has already gone through several Seasons of Ranked Play since beta, and offers exciting rewards for those willing to invest the time and effort.

Single Player

Gwent will also feature single-player campaigns, with Thronebreaker coming out this year. The story is based on the exploits of Queen Meve of Rivia who was featured in the books of the Witcher Saga by Andrezj Sapkowski. The writers responsible for the story of Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has returned to lead the narrative in Thronebreaker!

kgezUl9.png

Rewards

Unlock unique rewards such as Titles, Borders, and Avatars to complement your Player profile! Rewards can be earned through completing Seasonal Events or reaching certain tiers in competitive play. Players can also earn Kegs, Meteorite Powder, and Crafting reagents to craft their own cards simply by playing the game.

Premium Cards

An incentive to complete your Gwent collection are Premium cards; which are animated to provide more visual flair. They can be gained through Kegs or crafted by the player with Scraps or Meteorite Powder. Display them well on the field of battle!

9iWhgsg.gif

In-Game Shop

Shoop the Troll is available to sell you Gwenty cards via Kegs in exchange for your Glitter Rocks! He also sells Meteorite Powder on the side as well.

seXdppv.jpg

For further information, visit the Official Gwent webpage!

https://www.playgwent.com/en

Resources:

Official facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/PlayGwent

GwentDB (Database for Gwent cards and trending decks)

http://www.gwentdb.com/

Reddit Gwent

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/

YouTube (features CDPR developer videos and information about Gwent)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKS8WtM7U144j4fAU4xqiCw/featured

Last edited:

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you Sir Guts, nice thread to concur with the latest season. How's everyone finding the new holiday challenge so far? The final challenge was too easy in contrast to the first.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Game is amazing, holiday challenges are fun and rewarding. Can't wait for the singleplayer campaign.

I even bought the artbook. No ragrets.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
They're among the most annoying decks, but I've always regarded monster weather as terribly dull and uncreative. I'm not quite sure what to make of Restore Skellige which is still trending.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be back for a round of Gwent once the single player campaign launches. I just don't have the time necessary to keep up with the online multiplayer side of things.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
My god it's been so long since I played. So many changes. Awesome single player event, and Im so happy clear skies boosts damaged units. Are these changes largely appreciated ?

New avatars too, awesome! Anyone can tell me the major changes since like... 4 months ago?

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
My god it's been so long since I played. So many changes. Awesome single player event, and Im so happy clear skies boosts damaged units. Are these changes largely appreciated ?

New avatars too, awesome! Anyone can tell me the major changes since like... 4 months ago?

I would say the biggest changes are that most cards are Agile; Weather has been nerfed, and Gold cards are targetable.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I would say the biggest changes are that most cards are Agile; Weather has been nerfed, and Gold cards are targetable.
I remember gold cards being targetable

Is weather bad now? Always felt clear skies was a waste of a turn considering weather did some heavy damage but Id hope there was a better balance

Agile is placing anywhere right?

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
I remember gold cards being targetable

Is weather bad now? Always felt clear skies was a waste of a turn considering weather did some heavy damage but Id hope there was a better balance

Agile is placing anywhere right?

Weather changes have been subtle; Clear Skies now heals by 2, while previous Weather effects have been revised through nerfing damage.

Correct, Agile allows you to place cards anywhere now.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the OT! Looks great.

I cracked open my kegs last night but haven't had the chance to place yet. I'm so glad they added a holiday event. Hopefully for Christmas we get some fun/festive avatars and boarders.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just started today, did the basic level Halloween stuffs.
Allllllmost know what I am doing but it will take a bit. Awesome to see that there are others.

Oct 27, 2017
I've just had two crashes in a row (PS4). Anyone else experiencing crashes? Everything was seemingly fine until I launched it a few minutes ago.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
I've just had two crashes in a row (PS4). Anyone else experiencing crashes? Everything was seemingly fine until I launched it a few minutes ago.
What sort of crashes exactly? Do you get an error message, or does it crash you back to the PS4 menu?

The worst aspects of cheating such as lag switches and triggering sync errors are evident in Gwent by the way.

Last edited:

Zousi

Oct 31, 2017
It would be nice if console versions could implement those tracking programs like gwent-tracker to the game. As a console player and with cross-play enabled, these would be a good aid against the pc players that use them (must be many).

Just starting with this patch and watching streams and forums to get some handle to this current state. Some of these new cards seem promising and worthwhile to try.

Oct 27, 2017
What sort of crashes exactly? Do you get an error message, or does it crash you back to the PS4 menu?
Proper PS4 crash. I had the game freeze on me earlier in the evening as well, while I was doing the final challenge. It was fine before and after the crashes, just figured I'd see if others were experiencing anything since the recent update.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've been waiting forever for their single player campaign. Have they updated any estimates on when they plan to start releasing it? Still this year?

Zousi

Oct 31, 2017
I've been waiting forever for their single player campaign. Have they updated any estimates on when they plan to start releasing it? Still this year?
No date, but definitely this year. Maybe they will announce that in the next developer stream. Year is coming to an end, sooo...

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
Hotfix is up:
With this update, our main focus was to fix all major issues experienced by the players, as well as to implement balance changes to the gameplay.
Restore was significantly changed and will have increased milling value for 3 days following the release of the hotfix. When milled, it will create an amount of scraps and powder equal to the amount of scraps and powder needed to craft a card of the same value.
Full list of changes can be found here:
Skellige
  • Restore will now set base Power of a Unit returned from the Graveyard to 8, instead of 10.
  • Light Longship will now properly regress to 5 Power instead of 6.
  • Wilmar's Revenge ability will now properly trigger on Destroy abilities.
  • Moving Wilmar to the Graveyard will no longer affect newly drawn cards to block player's vision of their hand.
Monsters
  • Fixed an issue whereby Harpy's ability would sometimes not trigger properly.
Game Fixes
  • Several tweaks to tooltips in various languages.
  • Fixed an issue with display of cards on low resolution
https://www.playgwent.com/en/news/9591/hotfix-is-now-live

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
Just want to say that card advantage may not necessarily be everything, as I managed to beat Consumer Monsters with Spy Nilfgaard despite him having +2 card advantage.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
Run through the Nekkers as quickly as possible. If you can get rid of most within the first round, then you're golden.

But winning despite a +2 card disadvantage with a spy deck? That's magical. :)

Indeed! I could not quite believe it myself.

I've learned to take down those Nekkers pronto, using Auckes and Artefact Compression whenever necessary. I think I even used Impera Enforcers to play target
practice against them. Barely won round one, and even gave him a Cantarella during the deciding round.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Finally have an account thanks to Sokka so gonna try to make this thread active!

Main news right now is Gwent Open that starts in a few hours.

Date and time: November 18-19th, 4PM CET

Prize pool: $25.000 and two tickets for the next GWENT Challenger

Last edited:

Sokka

Oct 27, 2017
Nice write up Justin.

Gonna be fun to watch, hopefully they have some content announcement to surprise us with.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've bounced hard off of this game recently, I'm getting to the point where I understand some of the more veteran gwent players from the old forum when they say that there's a lack of distinct archetypes/cards in the game at the moment.

For me though, it's just been the removal of "fun" archetypes the likes of which I saw in Closed Beta. The gimmicky shit where you ended up with 100+ multiplied arachas (super swarm) or Adepts in the old Gold Northern Realms decks, back when Operator could multiply Silvers as well as Bronzes (balancing concerns be damned) and I could fish a Hemdall out of my opponents deck to use multiple times during the course of the match.

There's not enough cards that throw unique mechanics on the game board anymore and too many of the "+/- X if Y condition is met" variety to get me excited about stuff that they're adding to the game.

Still excited for the eventual campaign and I still enjoy watching the pros play but that's where I'm at at the moment.

Oct 25, 2017
I've bounced hard off of this game recently, I'm getting to the point where I understand some of the more veteran gwent players from the old forum when they say that there's a lack of distinct archetypes/cards in the game at the moment.

For me though, it's just been the removal of "fun" archetypes the likes of which I saw in Closed Beta. The gimmicky shit where you ended up with 100+ multiplied arachas (super swarm) or Adepts in the old Gold Northern Realms decks, back when Operator could multiply Silvers as well as Bronzes (balancing concerns be damned) and I could fish a Hemdall out of my opponents deck to use multiple times during the course of the match.

There's not enough cards that throw unique mechanics on the game board anymore and too many of the "+/- X if Y condition is met" variety to get me excited about stuff that they're adding to the game.

Still excited for the eventual campaign and I still enjoy watching the pros play but that's where I'm at at the moment.

I've fizzeled out this season, but more because of other games. Normally I make it to rank 18 and stop, I want to hit 19 but the grind is too much.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The coinflip still not even being attempted to be fixed puts me off playing. I got to 4k this season but just can't stomach the game anymore. I don't think they've even said anything about it for months now? I feel like the game is fundamentally flawed because of the coinflip and it should be their #1 priority going forward.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to reach Rank 21 this season since it started.. but am stuck in the Rank 17 trench. I'm not even going to bother with the grind.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
They're doing something about the coinflip for the tournaments at least. That JJ play was so fun yesterday, hope he makes it to the finals.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Freddy vs Tailbot in the finals about to start.

Another 2 new cards revealed, 1 leader and 1 weapon

Last edited:

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
FYI, 50% sale on meteorite powder for 5 days. Will probably get it myself because Gwent cards seem to get more animations in them than other card games.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I was expecting this for a long time now. At least the rest of the announcement sounds promising. At least we will still get a big update soon and a lot after that.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
What are the season time frames? Are we currently in season 3, or has season 3 passed? I got to rank 10, thinking I would get an avatar for achieving ranked 10 in season play, but I didn't get it unlocked. So does that mean we are in between seasons? If so, when would season 4 start?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DLed this and played for an evening. Fun but need some guidance.

What are deck building suggestions? Like if you only really use 10 cards (or whatever) in a 3 round game then why not only ever use the minimum build of 25 cards?

1st round doesn't seem important. If you win first round it usually means you blew more cards thus you have less next round. Then your opponent can cripple you. Same for 3rd round, which literally comes down to "who has more cards in hand".

Seems like the most useful cards are the ones that pull copies/cards out of your deck or ones that stick around for the next round.

Trying to wrap my head around this new game. It's cool so far.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017

What are deck building suggestions? Like if you only really use 10 cards (or whatever) in a 3 round game then why not only ever use the minimum build of 25 cards?

1st round doesn't seem important. If you win first round it usually means you blew more cards thus you have less next round. Then your opponent can cripple you. Same for 3rd round, which literally comes down to "who has more cards in hand".

Seems like the most useful cards are the ones that pull copies/cards out of your deck or ones that stick around for the next round.

You only use 25 cards decks mostly yes, some NR decks can use more but generally speaking you only use 25 card decks yes. First round is important because if you win you can bleed out the opponent in the second round, making them use all their good cards while you use shitty ones so you have the advantage in round 3. But it also depends on your deck of course, some cards have carry over, some cards need combos to set up well, others have high strength solo and are saved for round 3. Just check gwentdb.com for good decks and guides.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
The last season ended the end of October. I think this season is 2 months long, then from January they're 1 month long.

Oh, ok — so are we in season 3 right now? If so, do the portraits and whatnot for attaining season rank unlock at the end of season rather than at the moment of unlock — like for attaining rank 10 in season play?

Sokka

Oct 27, 2017

Justin answered some questions for you, but you're always welcome to join the Reddit Discord if you have any further questions. We're happy to help over there for new players.
https://discord.gg/BnWYXSs