• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Tried playing some NG Mill today and my first three matches were two STs and an SK with no thinning...
They were close, but went about as well as you'd expect. Went maybe 1-4.

Each match is loooong.

Do they not give you a pack for six rounds anymore?

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Tried playing some NG Mill today and my first three matches were two STs and an SK with no thinning...
They were close, but went about as well as you'd expect. Went maybe 1-4.

Each match is loooong.

Do they not give you a pack for six rounds anymore?

You get 2 reward points for 6 rounds now. It's equivalent of 100 ore in the reward book basically, but you can also spend it on powder, scraps or other reward nodes if you'd rather.

Mill is something I've thought about trying, just to use Vilgefortz again. He went from one of Nilfgaard's best golds to one not seen anymore.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Played 11 games today. In 8 of them my opponent had Sihil. Stupid card.

Yup same, game is fucking trash and just not fun to play anymore. Shame. Was hoping the dev stream would be good but it was basically shit they've said a million times before. Homecoming came out a month and a half ago, and the next new content (besides 5 new leaders wow) will come out end of March. So that's 4 and a half months without anything big. So a slightly lower wait than then 6 months for Homecoming. It's too slow and not enough. Don't believe their usual "we'll update more! and we'll talk more too!" every couple of months. It never happens. Seriously done with this shit.

Last edited:

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I'm still hanging out at Rank 25 or so; I don't think a lot of players are using Sihil here.

Seems like an annoying card and if it's so egregious I don't know why they don't just nerf it or take it out of rotation temporarily. Just pull it from the card pool and offer a shard refund on it, then people can craft it again later once it's been toned down.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I mean even the new game lead said Fuck Sihil loudly on the dev stream. And suggest a 2 turn cooldown. WHERE IS IT THEN?!

My last game it got up to 5 damage a turn. All my remaining cards were 5 strength orders basically. It's just dumb. Artifacts ruined this game, no counter play at all unless you completely change your deck to work around it to remove them. But then they just resurrect or play more.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
There's always going to be cards you don't like, but Sihil's reception seems to be pretty negative across the board.
Feels like you could always

1) Increase the provision cost
2) Give it Doomed
3) Add a cooldown or a damage cap
4) Or just break it like I said. Remove it from the card pool until you've balanced it around the new provision / mulligan system they're going to introduce.

I guess they don't want to knee-jerk nerf, but when you have this many people complaining about it, then you gotta rework it.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's (rightfully) complaining about Sihil, and I'm here wondering why they didn't make different level banners for each prestige. Nobody's going to look at my profile to see the "Can't Make Up My Mind" contract!

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I mean even the new game lead said Fuck Sihil loudly on the dev stream. And suggest a 2 turn cooldown. WHERE IS IT THEN?!

My last game it got up to 5 damage a turn. All my remaining cards were 5 strength orders basically. It's just dumb. Artifacts ruined this game, no counter play at all unless you completely change your deck to work around it to remove them. But then they just resurrect or play more.

One of the games yesterday I had an opponent with it at 7 per turn by the end.

The Emhyr Sihil deck is super annoying too, because he can just pick Caretaker back up again. So it doesn't even matter if you have artifact removal and save it for last round. (And they ALWAYS have Caretaker, haven't played an Emhyr player so far who hasn't had it in hand round 3).

There's always going to be cards you don't like, but Sihil's reception seems to be pretty negative across the board.
Feels like you could always

1) Increase the provision cost
2) Give it Doomed
3) Add a cooldown or a damage cap
4) Or just break it like I said. Remove it from the card pool until you've balanced it around the new provision / mulligan system they're going to introduce.

I guess they don't want to knee-jerk nerf, but when you have this many people complaining about it, then you gotta rework it.

They already bumped up its provision cost in November. It was 10-11 when Homecoming launched (can't remember exactly) now it's 15. The cooldown is a good idea and was mentioned on stream, so I don't know why they didn't just do it in the hotfix they launched yesterday as a temporary bandaid until artifacts as a whole get some tweaks.

Sihil is also another problem with having two really long rounds - same as the Wolfsbane decks last patch. It's very hard to win long rounds vs those decks, so then they dry pass round 2 for a long round 3 to repeat it all over again. Maybe the changes to the amount of draws they spoke about on stream will help fix some of the problems with certain cards/decks too.

Everyone's (rightfully) complaining about Sihil, and I'm here wondering why they didn't make different level banners for each prestige. Nobody's going to look at my profile to see the "Can't Make Up My Mind" contract!

There is different banners for prestige, but they don't change much for the first few. (Also got that image from google, it's not mine - I'm not banned from CDPR's chat lol)

They need to make it clear in-game what each prestige level perk brings - I don't think it's visible anywhere in-game, despite the contract for each prestige level telling you the reward for the contract is a user perk.

Oct 27, 2017
There is different banners for prestige, but they don't change much for the first few. (Also got that image from google, it's not mine - I'm not banned from CDPR's chat lol)

They need to make it clear in-game what each prestige level perk brings - I don't think it's visible anywhere in-game, despite the contract for each prestige level telling you the reward for the contract is a user perk.
Ohhhhh, that's cool. Ya I'm prestige 2 so the difference was unnoticeable. I see it now in the image, but in-game I didn't. Very cool.

As for the level perks, if you go to Profile - Contracts, you can press Square/X on console (no clue what it is on PC) to toggle contract description. I figured that out after completely missing what it said when I claimed it.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of prestige, what happened to beta players keeping their progress? I started at level 1 with the tattered pleb flag.

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of prestige, what happened to beta players keeping their progress? I started at level 1 with the tattered pleb flag.
It carried over, just at different numbers. I was confused at first, too, as I was max level in the beta, yet started this at 40. The top level now is 60, so instead of going to 61 you prestige and go back to 1.

A maxed level 100 beta player would start at level 40, prestige 1.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they managed to release the game on console with a bug where your controller will randomly lose function?

I just lost a ranked game by two points because I wasn't able to place my final card. I could move around, I could select it, but I couldn't place it. What utter shit.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Seems like they are changing how you can craft premiums next year - they are removing the option to craft them with scraps. It's obviously because the game isn't making any money due to most long time players just having a giant stash of scraps to craft everything with. Now we'll need meteorite powder to get premiums (unless you get it from a keg), and powder isn't that easy to come by, which means more people will need to buy it. But this change doesn't affect progression of earning/collecting new cards, so I'm generally ok with it. A lot of the bronze premiums I'm not fussed for anyway, so will be using my powder on gold premiums I really like going forward.

Also they are removing the full mill value from nerfed cards with only minor tweaks to their ability or balance. Full mill value will be given for a card that sees bigger changes or a complete rework.

And confirmation on what is happening in the reward book with the new leaders below

rewards_tree_year-of-wild-boar.png
Can't believe Arnjolf is a SK leader, but I guess there's no other choice from Thronebreaker. Hopefully future Skellige leaders are more impressive characters than him.

Last edited:

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
To be honest, the economy changes don't really bother me that much. Players can still craft cards fairly easily using Ore. If they reach the point where they have a complete, non-premium collection, then you can just save for new expansions.

I haven't been playing very long, but powder is much, MUCH harder for me to get, but I guess that's by design.

Their reasoning behind not offering full ore value for nerfs is fine. I imagine that if they completely rework a card, they'll offer full refunds. Minor nerfs will probably offer partial refunds. It's going to feel really bad when you craft a broken card and then it gets hotfixed a week or two later (in the new monthly balancing patches), but Gwent is already very generous with their premium currencies.

Yeah, I want more premiums, but it says a lot that they can adjust the rates (downward) and people aren't too bothered by it because of how F2P-friendly the game is.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Just spent 130k scraps crafting premiums. Was gonna save up and only craft cards in decks that I play.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they make powder and/or premiums at least a bit easier to come by. It's a ridiculous grind right now and powder is really expensive too iirc.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Reached prestige 2 today woo. So I can reroll an extra daily quest now. Nothing major, but means I can get rid of any Scoia'tael quests ;)

I converted some of my scraps to powder earlier and might do more before the update happens. If you keep milling + crafting premium rares you get 50 powder for every 380 scraps, which is the best option out of the rarities.

I realised I'm unlikely to need all these scraps I have if the price of crafting is essentially going to halve (I was going to craft any new cards as premiums). I'm still earning reward points, ore/kegs and scraps when playing, so I'm not worried about future expansions.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing the woodland deck to rack some wins for the daily quest. It's a deck I know well enough 'cause I love to win against it, but I don't think I even played it well and easily went on a winning streak (and the games weren't even on the line). I hope they nerf it 'cause this is a entry level play-style deck that can go easily against much more skillfull decks like the eist tempo or the brouver movement. It's way too diversified for long/short rounds, wrecks opponents graveyards, decent thinning, etc. If you want to win against it, and don't use drainers/restorers, don't hoard cards for later rounds, try to win the first round and make him bleed cards in the second one (even if you're one card down).

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Nilfgaard bothers me as a whole, I hate that all the top NG decks use Emhyr to abuse a bunch of Neutrals. Emhyr Sihil (with Avallac'h and Caretaker), Emhyr Zoltan (with Germain, Unicorn and Chironex) and then Emhyr Shupe. They need to give the faction some good cards and better identity.

Oct 27, 2017
Control decks have always been a thing on gwent. Some of the nilfgaards's ability is to stop the opponents strategy. It's definitely annoying.
Ya, but never like this. I had a somebody get really lucky and managed remove four key cards from my deck in the first round. Two Viper Witchers and with the use of Emhyr they used Traheaern Var Vdyffir twice.

Hence the quite calm, but totally screaming inside post.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The greatest nilfgaard deck was spies. It was op as fuck in witcher 3 and in the beta too but ever since they nerfed it a long time ago, it lost a lot of value. I expected things to change with the new game, but its still kinda terrible, which is a shame cause its one of the the most fun mechanics of the game.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Maybe when they add Ardal as NG leader later this month he will help promote spies in some form. I wonder if the old Infiltrator ability would work for a leader, it would need a cooldown of course.

Also new season is live, ends Jan 31st.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Is (december) season tree now available?

Nope. The one in the reward book is now the Wolf seasonal tree, but is still locked.

Don't know when we're going to get the first one at this one point. I know they are still planning the trees to make them have thematic quests, and the seasonal events they spoke of in the stream, but it's been three seasons now.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what's so difficult about the seasonal rewards. They show up in the book, which means they're there. Plus they're just avatars and borders, right? I wonder what the issue is.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what's so difficult about the seasonal rewards. They show up in the book, which means they're there. Plus they're just avatars and borders, right? I wonder what the issue is.
I think they said they're working on something special for season trees. So it's not going to be just spending reward points for cosmetics and currencies. That's how I understood it anyway.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Yeah, the trees will have quests that you have to complete to advance the tree. And they are planning events in casual mode for each season, like the bear one they mentioned.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Just started again after a very long break. I haven't played in over a year and I can definitely say that i'm more confused than anything. Going to take getting some used to because first impressions are awkward.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty hilarious that tactical advantage would be better if it buffed less. Right now it just puts anything into hard removal range so you can't really use it to keep any high value targets safe.

Generally I hate that so much of the hard removal in the game is neutral. I've been playing a lot of Magic recently and I love that you know exactly what threats to expect based on your opponent's colors. Faction means almost nothing in Gwent.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
The new leaders at the end of the month will require 15 reward points each to unlock. So that's 75 total. Time to get saving.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
Jumped back in the other day from pre-thronebreaker update. Having fun thus far, just relearning after they changed stuff. What are the new leaders?

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Jumped back in the other day from pre-thronebreaker update. Having fun thus far, just relearning after they changed stuff. What are the new leaders?

Welcome back. New leaders are Queen Meve for NR, Gernichora for Monsters, Ardal aep Dahy for Nilfgaard, Arnjolf for Skellige and Eldain for Scoia'tael. We don't know what they do yet, but we should find out within a week or two, apparently CDPR have something planned for revealing their abilities.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Faction challenge is live. Seems to have pretty good rewards.

I've been using this deck by Shimiri recently and it's been the most fun I've had since Homecoming. I really dislike how many decks are simply about playing your low power engines and hoping they don't get removed. This deck has none of that. The only way your opponent can really screw with you is graveyard hate and I'd say even that has a pretty limited effect most of the time. Most of the high value targets aren't good for Blue Meme, for example.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Faction challenge is live. Seems to have pretty good rewards.

I've been using this deck by Shimiri recently and it's been the most fun I've had since Homecoming. I really dislike how many decks are simply about playing your low power engines and hoping they don't get removed. This deck has none of that. The only way your opponent can really screw with you is graveyard hate and I'd say even that has a pretty limited effect most of the time. Most of the high value targets aren't good for Blue Meme, for example.

Yeah, I enjoy Skellige Warriors, Eist is my favourite Skellige leader to play.

I play a slightly different version to Shinmiri's, I use Armorsmith's, but functionally the deck does the same thing overall. I like how it's pretty straight forward in its goal and has a decent amount of push round 2 if you need to bleed your opponent. Also love playing Hjalmar and Cerys in the same deck. Really hope Warriors gets more interesting support in the next expansion.

--------

Faction embassadors seem to be revealing the upcoming leaders (even though we know who the leaders are going to be already). But Ardal has 16 provisions, which is news at least.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
Sweet. Wonder how that new leader is going to play? Having some good fun with Nilfgaard atm. Running a pretty effective (and fun) Usurper deck. People sleep on Usurper it seems. Shutting down an enemy leader and just removing it from the game is HUGE. Gonna be neat to see how it changes things with the new leaders thrown into the mix.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Sweet. Wonder how that new leader is going to play? Having some good fun with Nilfgaard atm. Running a pretty effective (and fun) Usurper deck. People sleep on Usurper it seems. Shutting down an enemy leader and just removing it from the game is HUGE. Gonna be neat to see how it changes things with the new leaders thrown into the mix.

I'm hoping Ardal does something that enables Spies to be better. It's hard to guess though, 16 provisions gives the impression it's a weaker leader, but then we have Woodland and Crach at 16 and 17 and they are both top of the meta regularly (before and after the recent leader provision change).

Meve will be interesting. NR seems to be the weakest faction now, wonder if she can help in any way.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Nilfgaard leader reveal!

Ardal aep Dahy
16 provisions
Order: Sieze an opposing unit with 3 or less power. This value is raised by 1 for every 4 Tactic cards in your starting deck.

-------

I was hoping for something with Spies, but I'll take Tactics Leader. Really cool idea, but I think he might struggle a bit with a lack of good Tactics though.

Loved the way he was revealed too. Hopefully we get one leader each day this week.

edit: Thinking about it more, even stealing a 3 is not bad since you can just damage something down. 3 point steal always in hand might be strong enough. NR has a lot of targets because they are so engine focused. Skellige has some valuable targets too, like Cerys and Hjalmar. You could also use Shilard to always guarantee a target too, although Shilard is a fairly bad card.

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Balance remains to be seen, but it's good that tactics are generally a bit underwhelming. The problem with alchemy in beta was that most of the cards they played were already great so boosting Viper Witchers for each was overkill.

4 tactics for 2 points is a pretty steep cost. Really hard to justify going to 8. Most decks will probably end up with 4 I'd imagine.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Balance remains to be seen, but it's good that tactics are generally a bit underwhelming. The problem with alchemy in beta was that most of the cards they played were already great so boosting Viper Witchers for each was overkill.

4 tactics for 2 points is a pretty steep cost. Really hard to justify going to 8. Most decks will probably end up with 4 I'd imagine.

Yep, 4 seems perfect. The current Tactics pool just isn't good enough to bother doing 8 (and you can always damage things down).

Another use I just thought of is having Ardal at 4 and stealing your opponent's Unicorn/Chironex. Apparently they are changing those two so that the one you play first does 4, then the other one does 8 if you have the other on the board, so gives your opponent opportunity to anticipate the second one/remove the first. So you can steal it with Ardal and deny them the extra value (and if you have its partner in hand get even more value).

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
So looks like Meve reveal video tomorrow. It's looking like its two days for each leader, first day a Twitter post with art and provisions, second day a video revealing its ability.

Oct 27, 2017
Soo Meve boosts a unit by 1 every two turns. Might be good to save some engines from death... I'd rather just have Demaved in an engine overload deck.

She seems in line with the rest of NR - crap :p

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Soo Meve boosts a unit by 1 every two turns. Might be good to save some engines from death... I'd rather just have Demaved in an engine overload deck.

She seems in line with the rest of NR - crap :p

I'm going to wait and see all the balance changes we get with the patch before I decide how I feel about Meve. I can see why people might be disappointed when she's the opposite-Crach, and after Ardal just introduced an interesting new deckbuilding angle for Nilfgaard players, but I think people might also be underrating her due to this. She's pretty simple, but I don't think it's a bad thing either if she ends up working fine. Don't really know how I feel about her at the moment.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Decks with a lot of healing or boosting are already rough on bloodthirst / Wild Boar. Gonna be one hell of an uphill battle against Meve.