• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Best news is the monster nerfs, fuck that faction right now. Good in all rounds with some OP shit. Thrive bronzes alone is enough for round 1 and then just throw out all their giant golds second round and recycle them in round 3 if needed. Glad they finally got nerfed.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Looks like the expansion stuff might be starting. The Gwent Twitter has changed its banner and profile image

1500x500

-ptod77p_400x400.png

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I jumped back in for a bit before I started to waste all my time on Apex and with the new leaders and year of the boar tree, on top of all the old stuff to fill out, it did feel already a bit overwhelming. Another progression tree on top of that. Oof.

But I guess the dedicated playerbase has more than enough points floating around.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I'm kinda hesitant to commit 40+ points to get the card back. I need to save up for expansion leaders and I'm afraid a better card back will come out in the future and I won't have enough points for it.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Looks like they have added new keywords to some cards. Purify (on Ceallach), Deathblow (on Rivian Pikeman, Arachas Venom, Kaedweni Revenant), and Dominance (on Wild Hunt Hound, Wild Hunt Navigator, Imlerith, Nithral, Wild Hunt Rider, Adda: Striga). I wonder if they are adding them now to prepare for new cards in the expansion.

I'm kinda hesitant to commit 40+ points to get the card back. I need to save up for expansion leaders and I'm afraid a better card back will come out in the future and I won't have enough points for it.

I'm just not bothering with this season's cardbacks. One of the quests later is to win 3 in a row, and it's obviously not impossible, but if I were to get stuck there and the season ends I've just wasted a whole bunch of points for nothing until next year. So I'm saving mine for the expansion.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Coral feels busted with Zeal. She can pressure your opponent so hard combined with Bran, Skalds and Birna. If they kill her, you just Renew her and get 2 more Charges back. When your deck is getting too thin, just use Lippy to put your graveyard back again and repeat.

edit: Also the Deathblow, Purify and Dominance keywords were removed. I guess CDPR hit the button too early with them - maybe they are related to some stuff in the expansion afterall.

Last edited:

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Burza confirmed there will be at least one card reveal a day, and also confirmed that we will get something today so I guess today is the start!

Also he said there will be a new Regis card in the expansion! I guess it makes sense, him being a vampire and all.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England

Very exciting! I also made a thread over in Gaming for it, in case there is people on resetera who were waiting for an expansion before trying Gwent again. But who knows.

Also five new cards shown:

Samun (Neutral): https://cdn-l-mkt.cdprojektred.com/image/Crimson-Curse---New-cards-for-reveals_0001_SPE_Samum_2.png
Disgraced Brawler (Skellige): https://cdn-l-mkt.cdprojektred.com/...or-reveals_0004_SKE_Disgraced-brawlers_6-.png
Plumard (Monsters): https://cdn-l-mkt.cdprojektred.com/...New-cards-for-reveals_0002_MON_Plumard_3-.png
Dryad Ranger (Scoia'tael) (NSFW she is nude): https://cdn-l-mkt.cdprojektred.com/...veals_0003_SCO_Dryad-Ranger_3-_lbnq405ne8.png
Windhalm of Attre (Northern Realms): https://cdn-l-mkt.cdprojektred.com/...New-cards-for-reveals_0000_NOR_Windhalm_1.png

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
How long/hard is it to get the Platinum for this? Artifact is probably going to be dead for a while so I'm looking for something to pass the time until Valve does something there. I have no knowledge of The Witcher franchise so I'm purely invested in mechanics.

e: just spent 30 minutes watching a tutorial video which it seems is very out of date god damn it lol

Last edited:

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
How long/hard is it to get the Platinum for this? Artifact is probably going to be dead for a while so I'm looking for something to pass the time until Valve does something there. I have no knowledge of The Witcher franchise so I'm purely invested in mechanics.

e: just spent 30 minutes watching a tutorial video which it seems is very out of date god damn it lol

Actually not that long to get all achievements, but you really have to actively go for most of them. Make a weird deck just for 1 achievement for example.

I'm only missing like 3 right now but they are arena ones.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Artis looks like a fun card. He's very similar to Ge'els in effect, power and provision cost, but he is without the benefit of having a leader like Eredin to protect him, so he will probably be played less than Ge'els (if that's possible lol). I am wondering if my Wolfsbane prediction earlier in the thread will end up being true, and it will be used in self-wound decks.

I can't remember the provision cost on Cintrian Artificer, but I think it will see play in a lot of NR decks going forward. Also giving Seltkirk a Shield sounds strong - he'll function similar to how he did in beta, wanting to target higher power units, than how he's been used since start of Homecoming (hitting something at 4/5/6). He could even remove an Old Speartip if he has a Shield.

Nilfgaard looks super boring so far. Assimilate is disappointing, I was hoping we'd see Spies fleshed out.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
All the cards revealed yesterday and (so far) today:

Devil's Puffball (Neutral bronze)

Watchman (Neutral bronze)

Primal Savagery (Skellige bronze)

Fleder (Monsters bronze)

Great Oak (Scoia'tael gold)

Sirssa (Scoia'tael gold)

Scoia'tael getting some good golds finally!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Is the PS4 client really buggy or something? Half the time I've tried to log in to the game from the main screen it's just stuck me on loading. Which is especially annoying as I've gotten stuck in the menus and had to reboot from that.

e: took me about half an hour to log in. Been spending hours trying to get wins with the starter decks. This is a brutal grind.

Last edited:

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Is the PS4 client really buggy or something? Half the time I've tried to log in to the game from the main screen it's just stuck me on loading. Which is especially annoying as I've gotten stuck in the menus and had to reboot from that.

e: took me about half an hour to log in. Been spending hours trying to get wins with the starter decks. This is a brutal grind.

It wouldn't surprise me, it seems like there's always problems with the console versions, especially PS4. I would say if it's not to late to start again you would be better playing on PC.

Also the starter decks are super terrible, they have said they are planning on reworking them at some point to make it better for new players. Hopefully the grind to get a better deck isn't too bad for you.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Also the starter decks are super terrible, they have said they are planning on reworking them at some point to make it better for new players. Hopefully the grind to get a better deck isn't too bad for you.
Is there no matchmaking? I'm like player level 10 and basically all my opponents are 30+ with full decks. Hearthstone wasn't perfect but it was nowhere near this bad.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no matchmaking? I'm like player level 10 and basically all my opponents are 30+ with full decks. Hearthstone wasn't perfect but it was nowhere near this bad.

Gwent has the weird quirk that the devs can be pretty generous and as such a lot of "veterans" on the PC, who played before homecoming, are just drowning in ressources.

On the other end, the game offers nothing for new players to get going. And matchmaking can only do so much.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017

If you're level 10 ranked should be open now, play that instead of casual. It's more balanced matchmaking and you can't derank anyway.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Seasonal is bad and a big flop. It's only for reward book stuff. "Classic" with ranked progression on is the only normal way to play basically. Don't understand why they made it so weird. It should be ranked/casual and a tiny box for seasonal mode really.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Seasonal would be more fun if Lippy wasn't allowed. People are spamming Crach decks there and keep killing the bear for huge card advantage, then they Lippy their deck back to repeat it all over again. It's not fun to play against.

I do wonder what the Elf seasonal mode next month will bring, hopefully something that one faction can't just abuse (although I don't care for the Elf cardback, so I probably won't play it much anyway).

Also today's three new cards. Still no new Nilfgaard reveals, makes me wonder why.

Nekurat (Monsters bronze)

Svalblod Ravager (Skellige bronze)

Cintrian Knight (Northern Realms bronze)

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Just watched Freddybabes' latest video.

Gwent is in such a good place right now. I can still remember the days when it was so toxic on Reddit with all the Artifact hype/troll threads that I had to unsubscribe.

Now Artifact is dead, MTGA took in the card game streamer refugees and Gwent is better than ever. Looking forward to the expansion. Will spend some money on the expansion bundle if it has the card back. This would be the first time I spend money on Gwent besides the $5 starter pack.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Late to that party, but finally took a glance at the seasonal tree and boy is it some rubbish nonsense. All these quest gates look dreadful. 3 wins in a row?

They really insist locking a card back behind that?

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Today's new cards so far. There's two Nilfgaard slots on the reveal site, maybe we will get them today, but it's getting rather late compared to past reveals.

The sword is pretty cool, I can see there being some fun combos or deckbuilding with it.

Hen Gaidth Sword (Neutral)

Tourney Shaelmaar (Nilfgaard)

Late to that party, but finally took a glance at the seasonal tree and boy is it some rubbish nonsense. All these quest gates look dreadful. 3 wins in a row?

3 wins in a row is really the only one I think is outright bad. Getting to that point in the tree and getting stuck will just feel awful for some. I said I wasn't going to bother with the seasonal tree earlier in the thread (due to that quest) but I ended up doing it last weekend since I really like the Bear cardback.

Someone on reddit datamined and found that the expansion will have a bundle with a new cardback and a new Unseen Elder skin. So maybe they will start adding other cardbacks in ways that aren't the seasonal trees.

Oct 27, 2017

Just get lucky like I did and win the first game after getting the quest, then in the second game get an opponent who for some reason immediately passes both rounds without playing any cards, then, somehow get that same opponent for the third game who, again, for some reason does the exact same thing.

No idea how I got them twice in a row and why they did that, but I appreciated it.

Anyway, that was the easiest quest for me! :)

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm so confused about the matchup balance

How are people rank 25 and like player level 15 but have full competitive decks? Are they just buying massive amounts of packs or something?

I crafted Commander's Horn and it's significantly helped my win rate but now I'm just up against full decks packed with full legendary packages (Unicorns. I have two legendaries from the starter bundle and they both suck lmao. Half the time I'm up against players with roughly the same collection as me OR they're either wildly higher level or deck than me.

When the matchups are even the game definitely feels pretty balanced, fun and skill based. Certainly more than Hearthstone at least.

Last edited:

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Dryad Matron seems like it will be pretty good, and it's confirmed Sentry is getting changed so it will work with Matron, which is cool. Scoia'tael are getting some great cards in this expansion so far (but we know how it goes, they will be tier 1 and then nerfed into the bin).

The less said about Nilfgaard the better. I hate the direction they seem to be going with them (or lack of direction in some cases).

I'm so confused about the matchup balance

How are people rank 25 and like player level 15 but have full competitive decks? Are they just buying massive amounts of packs or something?

I crafted Commander's Horn and it's significantly helped my win rate but now I'm just up against full decks packed with full legendary packages (Unicorns. I have two legendaries from the starter bundle and they both suck lmao. Half the time I'm up against players with roughly the same collection as me OR they're either wildly higher level or deck than me.

When the matchups are even the game definitely feels pretty balanced, fun and skill based. Certainly more than Hearthstone at least.

Probably buying packs, yeah. If they're much higher level (and prestige tier 1) it could be that they're old beta players who have come back recently and so are low down the ladder.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing for the first time since Homecoming released and enjoying it quite a bit. I played a bit of thronebreaker so I'm somewhat familiar with the new rules. Crazy how different it is from closed beta and open beta Gwent.

I played a bunch during open beta and have so many scraps I don't think I'll ever be unable to make a deck I want. Currently at 380k scraps.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Gael seems like an interesting card, but when Monsters has so many point slam cards that don't require setting up I don't see why it would ever be used, sadly.

Of course, there are still a lot of cards left to be revealed. So maybe I shouldn't judge so harshly yet.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Every game is Monsters :(

ffs I'm really trying to enjoy this game but it's pretty quickly got to the "fuck you pay me" part of the game. I realize the grind is much shorter than Hearthstone but it's just so miserable. The microtransactions are super expensive compared to how generous the game is too. I wouldn't mind dropping $20 if it got me more than 7 packs.

Last edited:

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
After Vivienne: Oriole this morning, looks like we've got another Neutral gold and another Monster gold to be revealed today.

People are up in arms about this card on the reddit, but Jason Slama said on Twitter there will be cards in the expansion that work with it. So I'm going to remain opinion-less on it until we find out more.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Had the stream open but was too busy making backups and installing windows 10 and watching another stream. But the spectate feature was very nice.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Two thingsthat really bugs me - at least on the PS4 version. One is that the cursor's default position seems to be kinda random when making selections, and there's a little input delay. I've found myself selecting the wrong targets or even helping the enemy because for whatever reason buffs are being prioritized on enemy units or an input wasn't registered. Really annoying how careful you've got to be.

Also there's no visual cues for effects being active or not. There's no glow around cards with blood lust, no indication that you're playing cards with lane locked abilities in to the right lane, etc. Hearthstone has that and there's no reason for it to not be here. Mistakes are avoidable but it makes things much easier for new players.

e: oh and Usurper sucks lol

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Yeah, the spectate feature was great. Will help any newer players (or potential new players) watching understand what's going on a bit more.

Zero, I believe the devs said they're going to implement something to highlight a card's row locked abilities, but no word on when it will be added. Same as drag and drop. Hopefully it'll come with Crimson Curse.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the stream, the artwork remains sooo good.

Pre-ordered for the expansion. Still not a fan of the 3D leaders, so that skin leaves me cold and the card back is also kinda eh. Still they are putting in good work, compared to some the competition.

Oh, 5 new leaders with the expansion too. Didn't even unlock the other ones yet.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Those card reveals were great, except for the two NR cards which weren't all that interesting.

Scoia'tael gets some sort of tutor, but I don't think it was clarified what the Mystical/Nature cards are? Doesn't seem to be a Spell tutor, so Francesca is still hurting.

Duchess's Informant seems so good at 4p. And damn, they brought back old Cahir with Damien. I guess he will work with Anna in some way, but he also supports Emhyr, Ardal and Calveit too. He's very expensive and on Order, though, so not sure if he will be used much.

Also confirmed in Twitch chat is that Unicorn duo and Witcher trio are all getting nerfed. And with Regis: Bloodlust being similar effect and provision to Ifrit, seems likely that will be changed in some way too.

edit: Damien is 5 for 11, instead of 4 for 13. Now we're talking.

Last edited: