• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Random complaining: Removal heavy decks are gonna make me quit this game, even if they don't pop too often.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The meta shift to aggressive round twos is really hurting my enjoyment

My fault for playing decks that want big hands on round three I suppose

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
There was a small update today, and Burza said it was for stability and also putting some things in place for something cool coming soon. I wonder what it could be.

-------

While I'm here, I know at this point people have figured out their own decks for seasonal or are done with the mode, but I'm still playing it a lot, so here's some of the decks I've made and been using in it

Bleeding: https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/ff89f1f0e6af1d8a13cd696587d2e70c
Charges: https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/55df4c86f5b1839fb22bb13e8e12266d
Assimilate: https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/876c089a63335a3905a4763b76092a0d

The first feels well-rounded, nice mix of tempo, engines and removal, along with a cool card in Orianna.
The second feels like you're bullying your opponent, just overwhelm them with engines.
The third feels like you're cheating, clogging up the opponent's board and stealing things from their deck.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Finally hit Pro Rank yesterday

D4XYMWSW0AYLhBm.jpg:large

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
ah fml just found they're stopping premium keg events

it's gonna take a really long time to get the Shiny! achievement now, guess that just leaves farming reward points for shiny kegs

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is this game super similar to the game in Witcher 3? Or do they like change alot to flesh it out more?

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
So is this game super similar to the game in Witcher 3? Or do they like change alot to flesh it out more?
It's very different at this point. It still has the 3 round structure and placing units on rows, but they've added a bunch of mechanics and changed almost all of the existing ones.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Unitless is still completely busted. CDPR did nothing to the fundamental problem of artifacts when they gutted spear and shield.

The issue is that every artifact with stored value is essentially free last say. Last say is supposed to be something players fight hard for, but almost every artifact is another instance of last say.

Last edited:

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I wanna craft Regis Bloodlust but I'm scared that they'll nerf it

It's really bullshit they don't give full value back

He's not really that OP, he's the same as Ifrit or whatever only with a vampire tag and banish effect. At most they might give him an extra P cost but I doubt it. Never really read people complaining about him and if he was a problem they would have nerfed him last patch already when they nerfed Detlaffs.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
He's not really that OP, he's the same as Ifrit or whatever only with a vampire tag and banish effect. At most they might give him an extra P cost but I doubt it. Never really read people complaining about him and if he was a problem they would have nerfed him last patch already when they nerfed Detlaffs.
Not particularly OP, but the previous iterations of Witchers and Unicorn/Chironex weren't either. They just don't want neutral cards to be so ubiquitous across all factions and archetypes.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
We're getting a dev stream soon - before the next season (ends 30th). They'll probably talk about some of the Nilfgaard changes that are supposed to be coming with the patch.

But also on CDPR forum Burza said another roadmap is most likely coming with the stream. So I guess we might also find out what they have planned for the next 3-4 months, and maybe get a better idea of how often they plan to do expansions.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Redownloading the game now, but how does it feel with Slamma at the helm and the new-ish expansion? Does it seem like Gwent is heading in the right direction?

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Redownloading the game now, but how does it feel with Slamma at the helm and the new-ish expansion? Does it seem like Gwent is heading in the right direction?

I would say so. The expansion added quite a bit, like support for underdeveloped strategies (movement ST, self-wound SK), as well as more depth with new statuses and combo potential.

There's still things they need to do (like drag and drop) or fix (some tooltips are still worded wrong, some cards are overtuned) and probably other things I am forgetting. But overall the game feels in a much better place than months ago and is going in a good direction imo.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
http://commandershorn.com/2019/04/26/ch114-crimson-cardinals-w-rysik-gwent-designer/

Rysik from CDPR was on Mcbeard's latest podcast. There was a lot of stuff discussed, but some bits I found interesting:

- Nilfgaard will be getting changes with next patch. Some will be related to Reveal, others will be related to things Nilfgaard are already doing, and others will just be new. His views on old Reveal (in beta) probably indicates that won't be what the tweaks to Reveal cards are.
- Rainfarn change was them trying to improve a card that was rarely played, but they understand it wasn't well received by players
- Old Ciri: Dash ability was designed for Homecoming (as Werecat) but it didn't work well with how they changed the amount of thinning in the game. So they had scrapped the idea for now, but he notes it might work better in Skellige.
- He thinks Syanna is in the sweet spot for a Neutral, but doesn't think Regis (Bloodlust?) is, but he said he won't say anything else about that and to check the patch next week.
- They aren't planning to go below 4 provisions ever
- Blacklisting won't be coming back, they want more variance in the game than beta had, and blacklisting was also causing them problems as well (probably refering to the mulligan bug)
- There will be new functionality changes with the patch that people will love. (Maybe drag and drop?)

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Sorry to post for the third time in a row, but they have announced the stream tomorrow at 8pm CEST. It's going over a bunch of stuff.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I love all the Soldier and Spy additions. The buffs to some leaders are nice to see too - I hope Emhyr is playable now.

I was hoping to hear a general timeframe of when we can expect next expansion like "early summer" or something if they didn't want to get into a specific month. But it focusing on next faction is cool. I think the faction will be Eternal Fire, but we'll see I guess.

Also liking the tavern board they showed.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
FFS THEY NERFED A BUNCH OF CARDS I JUST CRAFTED AGAIN

this game is insufferable with updates god fucking damn it

I can't even finish a deck without having shit changed and I have to start again

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
FFS THEY NERFED A BUNCH OF CARDS I JUST CRAFTED AGAIN

this game is insufferable with updates god fucking damn it

I can't even finish a deck without having shit changed and I have to start again

Which cards are you talking about? Some of them are still fine after the nerfs, just more expensive provisions means you might need to do some swapping around on the lower end.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Which cards are you talking about? Some of them are still fine after the nerfs, just more expensive provisions means you might need to do some swapping around on the lower end.
Since the latest set I've crafted Gimpy Gerwin, Regis Bloodlust, Gregoire, Count Caldwell, Coral and Olaf. I didn't even get to finish making or play Value Skellige, I was one card away from finishing it.

It's fucking insane how often they patch and that nerfed cards don't give full mill value. I haven't been able to complete any deck without them nerfing it before I finish. This is infuriating. It's probably not a big issue to legacy players with a whole lot of scrap but that's all I've got.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Since the latest set I've crafted Gimpy Gerwin, Regis Bloodlust, Gregoire, Count Caldwell, Coral and Olaf. I didn't even get to finish making or play Value Skellige, I was one card away from finishing it.

It's fucking insane how often they patch and that nerfed cards don't give full mill value. I haven't been able to complete any deck without them nerfing it before I finish. This is infuriating. It's probably not a big issue to legacy players with a whole lot of scrap but that's all I've got.

Caldwell is bad now outside of big Monsters, and Gimpy seems questionable unless swarmy decks are popular, but the others are still good just more expensive if you can shift some lower provisions cards around.

Jutta and Sigdrifa's Rite are both probably bad now that Nilfgaard got a 4 provision graveyard Banish, so if you play those two you might have to end up cutting them anyway.

Coral got 1 point cheaper too, but she will still work fine in Bran. I think Knut is 1 point cheaper too, so if you use him that's an extra point you are saving also.

Yeah, I can imagine for a lot of new players it's annoying. I don't know how much they are considering newer players when they change stuff every month, maybe not a whole lot given the starter deck improvements still haven't happened.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Jutta and Sigdrifa's Rite are both probably bad now

Coral got 1 point cheaper too, but she will still work fine in Bran.
Yep crafted them both too ha. Coral hurts my Bran Beasts, I now have to add a second Heymaey to fully churn the deck and it'll hurt consistency a little.

The main thing is there's no excuse for them not to give full mill value if they're going to so aggressively patch things. I'm terrified to craft anything at this point (see above where I was worried about Regis Bloodlust and was proven right) when I lose so much progress every time they patch.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Yeah, coming from Hearthstone where nerfs are few and far between, Gwent really shows that too many card changes too frequently can also cause problems. I've started, and stopped, Gwent a number of times, and some cards are just completely different than they used to be. Then, just when you think you're starting to catch up, they go and change a bunch of cards--some drastically.

I like the artwork and the characters, but it's really hard to dip in and out of this game. I'd be super frustrated if I saved the scraps to craft a meta card only to have it nerfed (at a reduced refund) a month later.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone getting a slight ghosting issue on premium cards when going into your deck/graveyard? Seems like the cards reset and the animation takes a few frames to kick in, which causes a weird ghost-like effect. It's a bit jarring.

On PS4.

Last edited:

lemonade

May 8, 2018
The solution is to never craft a tier 1 meta deck. Tier 2 decks are good enough to carry you to upper ranks if you are decent at the game.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Even full mill value doesn't always cover your cost. Say you craft Assire and Roach, and then they nerf Roach (again), even if they fully refunded Roach, you'd still be out an Assire.

It's great that they're proactive about balancing, but some nerfs are just so different from the core identity of the original card, they just don't make sense. Look at Coral and Birna, their most recent iterations are completly different from both their first forms and their characters in the game.

Their recent rework of Nilf is something I'd expect to see during beta, not after the official launch. I mean, at least they're doing it, I guess.

What was wrong with reveal as an archtype, the RNG?

lemonade

May 8, 2018
What was wrong with reveal as an archtype, the RNG?

It was RNG and doesn't value player's skill. The information you get from reveal is often times meaningless and trying to build a big unit reveal boost deck was just a meme.

The NG reworked cards give you full mill so that's something for new players.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Birna hasn't changed ability since Homecoming started, she's just become more expensive. Back in beta she did various things too, but one of her first (if not her first, I can't remember) abilities was being a spy card that let you draw 3 and discard 2. So I'd say they kept a similar theme for her. Her husband is Bran, the Discard leader, so her being a Discard card fits nicely imo. And in W3, she 'discards' a bunch of people at the feast in order to further her own scheme for Svanrige to be king.

Coral's card hasn't changed that much either, she's really only lost Charges over the last few months. I kinda wish they made her like Sile though, with a Deploy and then Order, rather than Zeal Order with Charges. Coral went through various iterations in beta too. The jade figurine version being the one people will remember most, and I admit I kinda do miss that effect.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
It was RNG and doesn't value player's skill. The information you get from reveal is often times meaningless and trying to build a big unit reveal boost deck was just a meme.

The NG reworked cards give you full mill so that's something for new players.

I see. I played it a bit (along with mill lol), and I found the unpredictability fun. I'm not really a competitive player though. : /

Birna hasn't changed ability since Homecoming started, she's just become more expensive. Back in beta she did various things too, but one of her first (if not her first, I can't remember) abilities was being a spy card that let you draw 3 and discard 2. So I'd say they kept a similar theme for her. Her husband is Bran, the Discard leader, so her being a Discard card fits nicely imo. And in W3, she 'discards' a bunch of people at the feast in order to further her own scheme for Svanrige to be king.

Coral's card hasn't changed that much either, she's really only lost Charges over the last few months. I kinda wish they made her like Sile though, with a Deploy and then Order, rather than Zeal Order with Charges. Coral went through various iterations in beta too. The jade figurine version being the one people will remember most, and I admit I kinda do miss that effect.

That's mostly what I was referring to. Coral was known in Witcher 3 for turning a man into a figurine, and Birna was chained to a rock in the sea and left to die--so she used Skellige Storm on an opposing row.

edit: Looks like she used to draw cards before that. Man!

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
The new seasonal mode isn't as good as last month's sadly. It seems like NR rules it once again, though.

I'm going for the cardback, but have to wait a few days to finish more daily quests to progress past a quest in the tree.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Caranthir: https://gwent.seven7y.com/hc-card.php?card=132104&lang=en

Usually use his effect with Kayran, but sometimes I have to use it on something else like a Deathwish card (Harpy Egg, Rotfiend, Werecat, Dettlaff: HV) if I don't draw Kayran.

Oh, I remember Caranthir as doing something else. That's a pretty good use for him. I thought you might have been using the guy that spawned a one-power copy for players (that gets used a lot in Bran's Bears), but I didn't see a copy on the opponent's side. Are you using Ruehin, as well?

I like DW monsters, but I hope they bring back Wild Hunt monters at some point as that, and Weather Monsters with WL Spirit, was the first deck type I really got into. Just didn't craft Cara at the time.

Working on Bleed Monsters and Harmony / DB Scoia right now and will work on expading into other factions later--maybe self-wounding SK, Engine Meve, or Spies. Maybe they'll bring back Witchers one day as well...

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Haven't been able to bring myself to play since the patch. I'm roughly 3000 scraps away from a good deck and I'm just dreading having to force myself to play a bad deck to grind back to that point knowing it'll probably be taken away again.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Haven't been able to bring myself to play since the patch. I'm roughly 3000 scraps away from a good deck and I'm just dreading having to force myself to play a bad deck to grind back to that point knowing it'll probably be taken away again.

Play Arena or seasonal, lots of contracts on those 2 so you can farm a lot of resources with the RP rewards from the contracts.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Oh, I remember Caranthir as doing something else. That's a pretty good use for him. I thought you might have been using the guy that spawned a one-power copy for players (that gets used a lot in Bran's Bears), but I didn't see a copy on the opponent's side. Are you using Ruehin, as well?

I like DW monsters, but I hope they bring back Wild Hunt monters at some point as that, and Weather Monsters with WL Spirit, was the first deck type I really got into. Just didn't craft Cara at the time.

Working on Bleed Monsters and Harmony / DB Scoia right now and will work on expading into other factions later--maybe self-wounding SK, Engine Meve, or Spies. Maybe they'll bring back Witchers one day as well...

Nah, Ruehin is too expensive and more easily interupted due to Regis: Bloodlust and the Northern Wind bomb (I have see people using it so far this season).

Glustyworp and Slyzards give long round value, while Dettlaff and other Deathwish give decent short round value. The deck isn't so great, but I made it myself and have fun with it so it's fine for now. I'm grinding out that Arachas Queen mastery contract before she gets nerfed.

It would be nice to see weather come back more, right now it's only played in very low unit decks and also trap Eldain. I wonder if when they reintroduce Dagon he will do more weather things.

Oct 27, 2017
Since I have finished a lot of the easy contracts, reward points are a pain to get for the seasonal trees.

Probably just have to start to sit a seasonal tree out and not unlock anything.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else see large white images instead of real ones? This has happened the last two seasons for certain main screen images. Right now "Season of the Viper" and "Premium Crimson Curse Kegs in the Shop!" banners are just white.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Anyone else see large white images instead of real ones? This has happened the last two seasons for certain main screen images. Right now "Season of the Viper" and "Premium Crimson Curse Kegs in the Shop!" banners are just white.

I haven't had it myself but have seen quite a few people on the Gwent Discord reporting that they are experiencing it.

Oct 27, 2017
So the blue coin buff sucks because it puts so many units above 8. I wonder if they changed the buff to +2 and shield if it would be too strong?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I have most of the cards for Svalblod so I'm back in baby, feels good that an archetype I like is viable

It'll only last for like another week I'm sure but it's smooth sailing until then

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Anyone else finding it near impossible to get ranked matches? It's taking me 2-5 minutes to find opponents at rank 16, but under 30 seconds for unranked.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Anyone else finding it near impossible to get ranked matches? It's taking me 2-5 minutes to find opponents at rank 16, but under 30 seconds for unranked.

Haven't noticed this, pretty much the usually instant to 30 seconds max for me. But that's at pro rank which is more active I suppose.