• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
1wg1fr5ru6m31.jpg

He's coming! He looks glorious in his Witcher 2 armour.

I guess he'll be the face of the expansion, like Dettlaff was for Crimson Curse

I just saw the iOS news and thought of this game again. I have over 600 hours of Gwent, but haven't played since April or something. How's the game nowadays?

It's pretty good currently. There was a few bumps with Syndicate and Dijkstra's addition, but they have fixed them. Seasonal modes each month have been fun too.

We have the final Challenger event this weekened, and are expecting news about the next expansion any time now (or at Challenger is most likely)

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
CDPR is constantly observing and tweaking the meta as needed.
New faction - the Syndicate is a high risk/reward faction, CDPR is trying to bring other factions on par with it.
Northern Realms, which has been an underdog since the beta days received a significant revamp last month.
the meta is relatively healthy & the community is still intact.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
1wg1fr5ru6m31.jpg

He's coming! He looks glorious in his Witcher 2 armour.

I guess he'll be the face of the expansion, like Dettlaff was for Crimson Curse

It's pretty good currently. There was a few bumps with Syndicate and Dijkstra's addition, but they have fixed them. Seasonal modes each month have been fun too.

We have the final Challenger event this weekened, and are expecting news about the next expansion any time now (or at Challenger is most likely)
People were expecting Redania as an entire faction, but I guess you are right. He is probably a leader for NR.

I want Vivaldi for Syndicate

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
People were expecting Redania as an entire faction, but I guess you are right. He is probably a leader for NR.

I want Vivaldi for Syndicate

CDPR confirmed Redania was the planned faction for the last 2 years, then Jason Slama took over late 2018 and vetoed it for Syndicate. They probably have a ton of Redanian assets ready to be added to the game (some probably went into Syndicate like the Witch Hunters)

And I'm not sure every faction is going to get a new leader with this expansion, because that's why they want to decouple leaders from their abilities, so they don't always have to add 6 new leaders every expansion.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
CDPR confirmed Redania was the planned faction for the last 2 years, then Jason Slama took over late 2018 and vetoed it for Syndicate. They probably have a ton of Redanian assets ready to be added to the game (some probably went into Syndicate like the Witch Hunters)

And I'm not sure every faction is going to get a new leader with this expansion, because that's why they want to decouple leaders from their abilities, so they don't always have to add 6 new leaders every expansion.
I am fine with that, the game is going to feel fresh anyway, now that we can use those leaders skins we never touched ( I just unlocked princess Adda's skin for that patch)

I just hope they get rid of that shitty starting screen with the clearly not supposed to be seen up close polygon models

Edit: I just thought about it and you are right, also Philippa and DJ were probably assets for Redania.

So what do we think it's going to be the next big faction? Witchers?

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

so you will be able to pick a leader ability + leader separately? so it's all a cosmetic basically?

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I am fine with that, the game is going to feel fresh anyway, now that we can use those leaders skins we never touched ( I just unlocked princess Adda's skin for that patch)

I just hope they get rid of that shitty starting screen with the clearly not supposed to be seen up close polygon models

Edit: I just thought about it and you are right, also Philippa and DJ were probably assets for Redania.

So what do we think it's going to be the next big faction? Witchers?

Either something involving Dagon and the vodyanoi (we know Radovid and co were removed for planned Redania faction, so I think they removed Dagon for similar reasons) or a Far Lands faction combining all of Zerrikania, Ofir, Zanguebar, etc (not very lore friendly but it's only way I think they can all be added without adding too many factions).

so you will be able to pick a leader ability + leader separately? so it's all a cosmetic basically?

Yep.

In the update at the end of August they added names to each leader ability so people could get used to the names that will be used (e.g. Foltest's ability is now Inspired Zeal, Dettlaff's is Blood Scent, etc). Next month they plan to decouple them from each other entirely, so people can play the abilities with whatever leader skin they want (limited by faction). We don't know how it will affect everything like the leader cards themselves (probably just be made into playable golds I imagine) or the reward book yet though

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yep.

In the update at the end of August they added names to each leader ability so people could get used to the names that will be used (e.g. Foltest's ability is now Inspired Zeal, Dettlaff's is Blood Scent, etc). Next month they plan to decouple them from each other entirely, so people can play the abilities with whatever leader skin they want (limited by faction). We don't know how it will affect everything like the leader cards themselves (probably just be made into playable golds I imagine) or the reward book yet though

That's a great update - gives a lot more options for cosmetic purchases as well.

What do leader cards do today? I thought they only show up in your collection and cannot be played.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
That's a great update - gives a lot more options for cosmetic purchases as well.

What do leader cards do today? I thought they only show up in your collection and cannot be played.
Nothing. They are there from Beta. It allows you to unlock a leader with scraps instead of going through the lengthy process of unlocking them with rewards points

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England

They used to appear at the start of matches in a different VS screen than we have now. They changed it last month so that the 3D models appear there instead.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Do those models look good on a high end machine? I am only playing on my macbook right now, and I feel like the cards would look a lot better.

They don't look great, the cards definitely looked better. There have been quite a lot of complaints, but CDPR said they will improve the VS screen so I guess we'll have to see what they do with it

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Someone leaked 15 cards from the next expansion. CDPR won't be pleased, the expansion hasn't even been announced yet lol

Also the draw show for tomorrow's Challenger matches

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You can have 2 copies of a bronze in a deck, but you can only have 1 copy of a gold.

Outside of game mechanics, golds tend to be important/named characters, while bronzes are just like generic troops

OK thank you.

it's 25 card min and leaders have set provision limits that dictate the cards you can have in 1 deck, right?

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
OK thank you.

it's 25 card min and leaders have set provision limits that dictate the cards you can have in 1 deck, right?

Yeah, 25 minimum (you have to have at least 13 units in a deck though). You pretty much never want to play above 25 cards to keep your deck & provisions as tight as possible though.

Leaders only dictate provisions for your deck. Deck base provisions for a deck are 150, then + whatever your leader gives you. So the lowest is Usurper with 160 (150 + 10), while Eithne has the highest with 168 (150 + 18).

Aug 16, 2019
UK
I really hope for a Radovid Africa skin, but alas, knowing what an enlarged community would do with it, it's maybe better if there isn't

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
what are the best cards from Thronebreaker expansion?

Barnabas and Gabor are both the best. Scoia'tael Harmony and Dwarves are both high tier and Barnabas fits in Harmony, while Gabor can go in both Harmony and Dwarves.

Glustyworp is main finisher for Arachas Queen decks, so if you want to play a competitive AQ deck then you'll want it.

Dagur is staple in Harald the Cripple and Greatswords decks, but Skellige as a whole are kinda out of the meta at the moment.

Reynard and Rayla are both fine for NR. Neither are staples, but they will work fine.

Villem doesn't see much use currently, but he can be used in certain decks with row punish like Lacerate/Crushing Trap/Regis. Eyck can also be used as a cheaper Geralt if you use a deck with multiple Dragons.

The rest are not really relevant. Keltullis is not bad at the moment, but it will probably go back to being bad when they change AQ's ability with the update next week.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I've been kinda trying to come back after like 6 months and had fun at first with a random syndicate pile, but around rank 20 I started getting destroyed by the same old graveyard cheese Monsters and Sheldon cheese Scoia'tael. Please tell me those are not still the top dogs.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I've been kinda trying to come back after like 6 months and had fun at first with a random syndicate pile, but around rank 20 I started getting destroyed by the same old graveyard cheese Monsters and Sheldon cheese Scoia'tael. Please tell me those are not still the top dogs.

Nah. Monsters are pretty bad currently, their only decent decks are Arachas Queen (and even that is not as good as it has been in the past) and Dettlaff Vampires (not amazing but good enough to climb ranks with). Big boy Monsters decks haven't been good for a long time now.

Scoia'tael have the best deck in the meta with Francesca + Waters of Brokilon, but not every one of those is using Sheldon since the set up is draw dependent and the Poison package can act as similar removal instead. Plus with Novigradian Justice, Mahakam Marauders, Cleaver's Muscle, or Mahakam Defenders there's just more good bronze Dwarves now unlike months ago, meaning Agitators and Sheldon are less necessary for Harmony. Full Dwarf decks are fine but not as good as Waters, and they will use Sheldon just because he's another Dwarf.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
They could not be further from the meta.

Around level 20 you start to see people using combo heavy decks, but usually, they are not really viable. It's good to learn how to counter and play reactively

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England

Some cool stuff coming tomorrow. I like the new deckbuilder stuff. Also daily rewards for logging in, ending in a premium card on the 7th day.

Noticably leader arts seem to be gone from the game entirely - they aren't in the deckbuilder anymore, they aren't visible when choosing your ability (because of the decoupling), you just choose a skin same as choosing a cardback or board skin. So hopefully they are planning to make them into playable gold cards in a future update or something.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Wanting to dive back in, have not really played since before the big home coming change and having to learn all of the new key words. Game is still amazing

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
So Iron Judgment is out but it breaks the whole game. Hopefully they can fix it fast.

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Kind of an odd question, but again I am just getting back in from being out quite a while. Is there a way to practice decks against a computer opponent outside of the tutorial?

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Uff, opened my preorder stuff and got only 2 legendaries. Last 2 expansion I could start build new stuff right away, not this time it seems.

Haven't booted Gwent up in a while and this quickly kills my mood. Such are CCGs....

Arcsurvivor

Jul 13, 2018
This game was pegged by some as the HS killer, probably not the right judgment. Is niche and has less viewers now.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
This game was pegged by some as the HS killer, probably not the right judgment. Is niche and has less viewers now.
It never received a real marketing push.

Come back in a month when it launches on iOS

Kind of an odd question, but again I am just getting back in from being out quite a while. Is there a way to practice decks against a computer opponent outside of the tutorial?
Not really I am afraid, the only practice there is against a single deck and AI is really bad. You have to learn again the hard way

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
22k scrap stacked up... wondering if i should make a great deck now or wait until iOS drops when i'll be able to play more.

any good post-expaxk decklists out yet?

why do "viewers" matter? it's a game, not the oscars

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
New seasonal mode is super wonky. It feels like you can't pass at all and need to keep playing, otherwise you end up getting your opponent's empty hand at some point in the match.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
a list of decks i can make that take into account the latest expansion pack
It's a little soon. There is a very OP dwarf deck going around and a monster deck for now

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/32cf11c930bcb6e2da2193e887d5d0c8

https://playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/34780

The dwarf one is probably going to be nerfed very soon, I hope at least.

There are other experimental decks, but nothing solid for now. I am using a Syndicate and an Assimilate deck my self

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's a little soon. There is a very OP dwarf deck going around and a monster deck for now

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/32cf11c930bcb6e2da2193e887d5d0c8

https://playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/34780

The dwarf one is probably going to be nerfed very soon, I hope at least.

There are other experimental decks, but nothing solid for now. I am using a Syndicate and an Assimilate deck my self

Thanks, I actually pulled a few of those Monster cards in my packs so I think I'll make that. Just need to unlock a cool skin for that faction!

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I have having fun with Syndicate and also with Squirrels, and even Vampires but I really wish that I could make Pirates work

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Still waiting to receive my premium kegs from buying Thronebreaker (a hell of a deal right now at $14.99 on GOG considering that you get the OST, Concept art, a couple of digital graphic novels, card frames and various unlockables in the game and 5 premium kegs)

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Debating on just quitting until they patch dwarves. How the fuck does something like that get through testing?

Or maybe I'll just concede every time against Mystic Echoes.