• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Still looking for a fun deck to play casually until the mobile drops, at which point I'll be a far more serious player.

How does this deck look? https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/35122

Looking for something fun with enough staples that I'll be able to use going forward, not the meta tier 1 deck.

Looks fine. Blue Stripes combo is still one of NR's best decks, and you have the main pieces of the combo (Roche, Blue Stripes Commandos + some ways to clone them, and Pavetta).

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Debating on just quitting until they patch dwarves. How the fuck does something like that get through testing?

Or maybe I'll just concede every time against Mystic Echoes.

They suck yea, but when I bleed them in round 2 I sometimes win. But even then when I'm 11 points ahead in round 3 and they have 1 card left they still asspull a win anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
There's already decks that rekt dwarves out there. Not everything has to be nerfed few days after the patch lands. Dwarves was just the first strong deck that emerged, give it time and experiment.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Dwarves have a lot of points but outside of Zoltan, Great Oak and Justice'd Mercs they often have no removal (and the first two require a necessary board state to be able to remove something). Surrender is also good vs Dwarves since they do nothing but row stack constantly, and can also help vs Syndicate (Scarabs).

Deathwish is pretty good at the moment and can beat dwarves. Redrame's Deathwish list is what people are using: https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/e06ed7398d772cf9ce1364c9ac04cccf

I was watching Tailbot a bit yesterday, and he was playing an Assimilate list ( https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/5d6a5392f1ab230e6c65877485d0c901 ) that was doing ok vs Dwarves too, but often came down to pulling multiple Great Oaks from Double Cross + Bribery. But the deck was still good. Shaelmaar can play for a lot of points if you start spawning your own Rowdy Dwarves too.

I've been playing a Syndicate list, not sure how optimal it is atm, that's been doing well enough: https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/05e73a22a91eb71dfed6cd4fd6fb3faa All the people I've seen playing SY are playing the Portal versions, but I don't think that's as good since it likely means you aren't running Professor and the card is nuts. Mutated Hounds also help make Fisstech more consistent without requiring leader use, and you can't use Hounds with Portal in your deck. I might still make some changes to it though, Flying Redanian is a bit clunky sometimes, but the deck really needs the thinning.

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about the top of the top of the meta regarding dwarves. I'm 17 rank and there's absolutely no room for experimentation or fun because dwarves destroy anything that can't remove their threats with brutal efficiency.

And if the meta starts revolving around answering 1 deck, it's not really healthy either.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I'm not talking about the top of the top of the meta regarding dwarves. I'm 17 rank and there's absolutely no room for experimentation or fun because dwarves destroy anything that can't remove their threats with brutal efficiency.

And if the meta starts revolving around answering 1 deck, it's not really healthy either.

If people can experiment at the top of the meta like with the recent Deathwish deck that has appeared, then you can definitely experiment at rank 17 where there is lots of players that aren't that skilled. Dwarves aren't THAT good.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
If people can experiment at the top of the meta like with the recent Deathwish deck that has appeared, then you can definitely experiment at rank 17 where there is lots of players that aren't that skilled. Dwarves aren't THAT good.
I might be jumping the gun in general, but saying something is OP doesn't mean nothing can beat it.

And sure, it's possible to find great new decks, but generally you have something a bit jankier and less viable when experimenting for fun. And dwarves annihilate anything that is not top tier or built to counter them.

Edit: Although maybe I'm more annoyed at the people running the top meta easy point slam deck at rank 17 than I'm at the deck itself.

Last edited:

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I might be jumping the gun in general, but saying something is OP doesn't mean nothing can beat it.

And sure, it's possible to find great new decks, but generally you have something a bit jankier and less viable when experimenting for fun. And dwarves annihilate anything that is not top tier or built to counter them.

I'm not denying dwarves are strong, but what I'm saying is I don't believe they are that strong that you can't experiment and play other decks, especially at rank 17 where the players you play against are going to make many mistakes when playing.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
There should be a distinction between a very trong tier 1 deck and an OP one.

The distinction is in how many mistakes can a dwarf player do before losing.

With dwarves, there is literally no mistake they can do to irrecoverably lose a match. Even if you destroy all dwarves spawned with that broken ability, they can still flood the board with units and then boost them.

I won maybe 35% of matches against them and it was thanks to RNG or completely imbeciles opponents

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Dwarves aren't OP, it's just a strong deck that is easy to play which is why it's popular. Sure, Mystic Echo and one or two dwarves need some tweaking, but they aren't so strong they are dictating everything about the meta like happened with Foltest and Dijkstra the other month. It's just another good deck.

Syndicate are currently far more busted than dwarves are, but there's less noise about them because they aren't as easy to play as dwarves.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I'm low rank enough atm that I have only seen one dwarf deck so far and that person didn't seem to know how to play, well, Gwent. I need to play more it seems. :)

Anyway, they already announced a patch for the end of the week. Love me some dwarves, so I hope they don't nuke it and I can craft it without feeling guilty.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Dwarves aren't OP, it's just a strong deck that is easy to play which is why it's popular. Sure, Mystic Echo and one or two dwarves need some tweaking, but they aren't so strong they are dictating everything about the meta like happened with Foltest and Dijkstra the other month. It's just another good deck.

Syndicate are currently far more busted than dwarves are, but there's less noise about them because they aren't as easy to play as dwarves.
Can I ask you what rank are you? I hate to do this but dwarves is busted, it's everywhere in pro rank and every single pro is complaining about it.

Just because it's not DJ or foltest it does not mean it's fine.

And how is syndicate busted exactly? It's very difficult to play right now and very draw dependant

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Right now I am glad that I am grinding out seasonal while this Dwarf thing works itself out. Hopefully there will be a patch sooner than later

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Can I ask you what rank are you? I hate to do this but dwarves is busted, it's everywhere in pro rank and every single pro is complaining about it.

Just because it's not DJ or foltest it does not mean it's fine.

And how is syndicate busted exactly? It's very difficult to play right now and very draw dependant

And I didn't say or imply dwarves are fine, so I don't know where you're going with that. I said they do need tweaks. It seems CDPR have said there's a balance patch coming this week, so we'll see how heavy they hit dwarves. Not interested in debating it further.

Syndicate are the strongest faction with Scoia'tael right now. Their new additions of Dire Hound, Azar Javed, Savolla(+Luiza), and Professor are all overtuned (some more than others). Calling them "very draw dependent" is weird since the current best SY deck doesn't have many chances to brick their hand like the old Portal version did, and the low end of the deck with Slander/Fisstech/Hounds/Jackal is solid in addition to their super strong golds.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Every Wednesday you get 25% more xp now.

And the balance changes are out:

List of changes
  • Mystic Echo: provision bonus changed from 14 to 13.
  • Rowdy Dwarf: armor has been removed.
  • Zoltan Chivay: power changed from 5 to 4 and provision cost changed from 8 to 9.
  • Mahakam Guard: power changed from 3 to 2.
  • Barclay Els: power changed from 4 to 3.
  • Guerilla Tactics: provision cost changed from 14 to 15.
  • Invigorate: provision cost changed from 15 to 16.
  • Dracoturtle: provision cost changed from 12 to 11.
  • Terror of the Seas: power changed from 4 to 5.
  • Portal: provision cost changed from 12 to 13.
  • A bug with Ard Feainn Light Cavalry ability was fixed.

I was thinking Portal should be nerfed a bit. It's too strong. Happy dwarfs got hit a bit and Dracoturtle slight buff. Was actually playing a deck with that card.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
None of the dwarf changes are surprising. Armor removal on Rowdy Dwarves is good, now you can now play Lambert, Lacerate, Crushing Trap to do their anti-swarm jobs properly.

Nice buffs to Guerilla Tactics and Dracoturtle. Doubtful if 1p is enough for Invigorate.

Also would have liked to see Eithne Precision Strike ignore Armor.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Monsters feel very fun to play at the moment, between Deathwish, Vampires, the various Arachas Swarm lists, and even Thrive with Gernichora is not that bad.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
Downloading on my phone right now. Thinking about switching to Gwent over hearthstone for my card game fix on the go. Anything I should know before starting? (outside of basic information)

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I haven't played since Homecoming so I'll probably give it a shot now. I had over 200,000 scraps so that's nice. I used to really like Monsters but might give Syndicate a try. The fee/tribute thing seems like a cool mechanic.

The game has changed a lot though. I think the highest I ever got was rank 20 (it did used to get higher as you got better right?). I'm rank 25 now so I'm assuming that's as low as it'll go in a season.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I haven't played since Homecoming so I'll probably give it a shot now. I had over 200,000 scraps so that's nice. I used to really like Monsters but might give Syndicate a try. The fee/tribute thing seems like a cool mechanic.

The game has changed a lot though. I think the highest I ever got was rank 20 (it did used to get higher as you got better right?). I'm rank 25 now so I'm assuming that's as low as it'll go in a season.

Yeah, they reversed the ranks. It went 0 to 21, now it's 30 to 0.

Both Monsters and Syndicate are good at the moment, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Yeah, they reversed the ranks. It went 0 to 21, now it's 30 to 0.

Both Monsters and Syndicate are good at the moment, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.
That's good to hear. I've tried a bit of Thrive Monsters so far (which is pretty similar to Nekker versions I remember from beta) but I do miss weather. The last deck I played a bunch was a frost Monsters deck where you used the dueling trolls. I also liked playing with Relicts and the old Weavess: Incantation. It's just going to take awhile to get used to this new version. I'm having a lot harder time keeping tallies in my head and knowing what will keep me ahead. I need to just learn the cards still.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
That's good to hear. I've tried a bit of Thrive Monsters so far (which is pretty similar to Nekker versions I remember from beta) but I do miss weather. The last deck I played a bunch was a frost Monsters deck where you used the dueling trolls. I also liked playing with Relicts and the old Weavess: Incantation. It's just going to take awhile to get used to this new version. I'm having a lot harder time keeping tallies in my head and knowing what will keep me ahead. I need to just learn the cards still.

Current Thrive decks are kinda similar to the beta Relict decks since they play a fair few big units and then consume them again in a later round. Not totally the same but as close as you're probably going to get.

And yeah, people are hoping that weather (at least in Monsters) becomes more relevant once Dagon returns in a future expansion. We just had Radovid return with Armor in the latest expansion, so maybe Dagon and weather will be the theme of another one.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Halloween border event for next 24 hours, you only need to win 1 game. Also +50% EXP with Monsters today too. (The other factions will be in the following days apparently)

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
How is the game these days? I haven't really played since Crimson Curse.

I recently quit Hearthstone (and all other Blizzard products) and the Witcher trailer made me think about this game again.

Is the player base and meta healthy?
Are the new sets creatively interesting?
Is it still harder to get premiums?
Are they still pretty F2P / minnow friendly?

Won

Oct 27, 2017
How is the game these days? I haven't really played since Crimson Curse.

I recently quit Hearthstone (and all other Blizzard products) and the Witcher trailer made me think about this game again.

Is the player base and meta healthy?
Are the new sets creatively interesting?
Is it still harder to get premiums?
Are they still pretty F2P / minnow friendly?

iOS release seems to be a success, so player base will be healthy for a while.

And I definitely would call it the most generous card game on the market right now. They recently added daily log in rewards on top of everything else they already had going.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only just through the tutorial and I'm still not getting a feel for any depth int he strategy of the game. I'm sure that will hit like a thunderclap once I'm playing people with killer decklists, but it's not as immediately obvious as other card games.

Not gonna lie, the Netflix trailer for the Witcher series made me launch the game and play a couple. I'm slowly getting somewhat pumped for that series.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I'm only just through the tutorial and I'm still not getting a feel for any depth int he strategy of the game. I'm sure that will hit like a thunderclap once I'm playing people with killer decklists, but it's not as immediately obvious as other card games.

Not gonna lie, the Netflix trailer for the Witcher series made me launch the game and play a couple. I'm slowly getting somewhat pumped for that series.
It's definitely different from a lot of other card games. I find the strategy will really depend on deck archetypes and knowing the meta. Often the strategy will be more like guessing correctly that your opponent was holding a certain card that you were saving an answer for, or setting up cards that accumulate points and picking the right point to pass the round either hoping your opponent over commits or lets you take a win. You're constantly trying to guess what your opponent is playing and how your deck can best fight it (dragging out a round 1, or giving up easily and hoping for a short round 2 so you can blow them out round 3).

Like there's lots to think about. And your most powerful cards can come out at anytime too so rounds can quickly change. When you're starting out, strategy often just comes down to whether you can win a round a card ahead. If you go into the last round tied and you have an extra card, you'll have a huge advantage and you probably played very well the previous two rounds.

I wrote all this but it's worth mentioning that I played more in beta and I'm still getting the hang of Homecoming.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I played this when it got available on Xbox. I was a huge fan of Gwent in The Witcher 3, and enjoyed this at the start back then. Then the constant changing happened and it screwed up my decks and I had no interest in keeping up so I dropped the game like a stone. That was before that huge overhaul. Yesterday I had the urge to get back to it and, oh boy did they change it.

Looks like I'm back to Gwent.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I played this when it got available on Xbox. I was a huge fan of Gwent in The Witcher 3, and enjoyed this at the start back then. Then the constant changing happened and it screwed up my decks and I had no interest in keeping up so I dropped the game like a stone. That was before that huge overhaul. Yesterday I had the urge to get back to it and, oh boy did they change it.

Looks like I'm back to Gwent.
What is changed that you like? Just curious to know :)

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Roadmap stream tomorrow.

I have basically not played all season, due to irl stuff + been playing a lot of other games. But just saw the tweet, so maybe there'll be something spoken about tomorrow that will bring me back more regular again

Also new card art in the tweet :)

Oct 27, 2017
''Considering that PC and mobile are the most popular platforms among GWENT players, we have made a tough decision: to discontinue support of console versions of the game. All GWENT players on consoles will be offered an option to copy their account progress and purchases from their current platform to a GOG account, which is used by both PC and mobile versions of the game.''

Fuck you CDPR.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
Bittersweet. Wanted some sort of account transfer for a while, so, in a way, this is good. Sucks that they are cutting off consoles though. Unfortunately for me my pc gog account has some inconsequential play time for gwent on it, so I'll have to make a secondary account to benefit from the copy. Hope this is a good thing for gwent and the community overall. Have mixed feelings, ugh, idk... Any news on android release?

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
The console stuff came out of nowhere, but honestly I'm not really surprised. It always seemed like console players were constantly becoming a smaller part of the playerbase, and from those that did play on consoles it sounded like their versions were not as well polished as the PC one. Sucks for those that can't do the transfer, but if I were them I would still make a GOG account and have the account transfered over just in case I could use it someday. But I'd understand if people are pissed and just don't want to play the game anymore.

Also seems like the next expansion will be at the start of the new season in January, which is when season 2 of esports starts too. I didn't find Iron Judgment all that exciting to be honest, got bored of this meta very quickly so I'm looking forward to the changes next week, as well as the expansion after that.

Bittersweet. Wanted some sort of account transfer for a while, so, in a way, this is good. Sucks that they are cutting off consoles though. Unfortunately for me my pc gog account has some inconsequential play time for gwent on it, so I'll have to make a secondary account to benefit from the copy. Hope this is a good thing for gwent and the community overall. Have mixed feelings, ugh, idk... Any news on android release?

On the stream tonight they just said Q1 2020 for Android. So nothing exact yet.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I played a decent amount when it first released on iOS but dropped off so I might try to get back in. I'll be juggling with Hearthstone though since its expansion hits tomorrow. I think the stratagems and scenarios seems like really cool ideas though. I'll craft whatever I need to try out some new Syndicate, Monster, and Nilfgaard decks since they're my favorite factions and I actually unpacked some of their new cards.

I have way too many resources still since I never really spent much after the conversion to Homecoming. I still have about 150,000 scraps and I was able to buy 45 Ofir packs from whatever ore I had from playing and uses key rewards.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they stealth dropped a whole expansion?

Thought for a moment I started the wrong app.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It says on their site that meteroirte powder doesn't transfer when I move my ps4 account to PC. It onlu mentioned that specifically.

Do the other materials move over?

Edit: their FAQ handles this (they do transfer)

Last edited:

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't been able to start the game for days now.
I'm stuck on the loading screen. I've seen similar cases: reinstalling, deleting folders in Appdata, etc, nothing works. Yipee...

Oct 27, 2017
My account was transferred from PS4. Make sure you spend all your meteorite powder before you request the move. Playing on iPad Pro now, game works like a dream. Still, RIP console Gwent ;_;

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good meme decks with Merchants of Ofir? I want my opponent to feel like they lost even if they win.