• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I know I'm a month behind but just saw that they killed the console versions. Jesus. Glad I'm bailed when I did.

I guess I'll transfer just in case I want to play in future but god damn.

e: they also made trophies unobtainable without warning, god damn

Last edited:

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll do a PS5/Series version of Gwent that has crossplay/crossprogression with PC/phone. That would make sense while killing off the game for old consoles. Probably not, but I hope Gwent has longevity because I really like it.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
While the Android version can't come soon enough (btw, anyone has a window of when it's coming out?), I've recently come back to the game late on last season. This Witcher seasonal, though, is pretty dope. So many points and Igni opportunities it makes me think of old three rows Gwent.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
While the Android version can't come soon enough (btw, anyone has a window of when it's coming out?), I've recently come back to the game late on last season. This Witcher seasonal, though, is pretty dope. So many points and Igni opportunities it makes me think of old three rows Gwent.

For Android, they've only said before the end of Q1. There's a dev stream 6PM CET Monday though, so maybe we will find out more then.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Patch Notes 5.1

Season of Love Rewards:
Season_of_love_reawrd_fcmociopqkf69xqr.png

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Completed Thronebreaker (meh) and transferred my account from PS4. Played a little on mobile... this game is not suited for phone size screens lol. I'm on a Pro Max and everything is readable but it's just not designed for something this small, whereas Hearthstone and Runeterra were designed for it obviously. I'll download on iPad, it should be fine on that size screen.

I see my boys in Skellige are (checks) absolute trash right now :(

veras

Oct 27, 2017
What's the barrier of entry for this game like for a new F2P player right now? As an HS player I think that game is really tough to get into without spending money at this point, but I understand Gwent is much more generous

Also, any guides/tips for maximizing early resources?

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Valentine's Day event is Team Yen vs Team Triss vs Team Shani. Cheeky. The cardbacks look really nice, and there is a Dana alt for 1600 powder in the shop.

playgwent.com

Valentine’s Day Celebration Begins!

A new Challenge is here! Team Triss? Team Yennefer? Or perhaps Team Shani?
Web_1920x1080_EN-_eqpqfzj5zdpa9ae3.png

What's the barrier of entry for this game like for a new F2P player right now? As an HS player I think that game is really tough to get into without spending money at this point, but I understand Gwent is much more generous

Also, any guides/tips for maximizing early resources?

CDPR have said they don't want people feeling like they have to spend money to collect all the cards, and I know there is quite a lot of F2P players with full collections. I can't say in comparison to HS as I've never played it, but it is easy enough to earn resources just by playing dailies, completing contracts, etc.

Though it should be said that CDPR buff/nerf cards regularly, and have stopped giving full mill for reworked cards, which is more hurtful to F2P players. You can craft a top tier card one month then next month CDPR nerf it and it falls out of the meta.

As for maximizing resources, the lore nodes (scroll icons) in reward trees give increasing ore (to buy packs) for each one you unlock, which ends up better than spending on regular ore nodes. I think some of the reward trees may have better paths for rewards too, like they require less points than others to get to the value nodes and things like that. I think Skellige's faction tree is one of them. You can also check the contracts tab to see which are the easiest contracts too.

Also as soon as you unlock ranked stick to playing it (Classic mode) because at the end of the season you'll get rewards. Lots of new players think casual is better for them, but casual is still full of people playing the best decks like ranked is yet you will get no rewards at the end of the season. So ranked is generally always best.

For other guides maybe these links will be helpful (I'm not sure if any of the information will be outdated since CDPR likes changing things a little too much)

teamaretuza.com

Aretuza ESports

Team Aretuza is international competitive esports team competing in GWENT: The Witcher Card Game and Legends of Runeterra

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I really want that Shani cardback, anyway I picked the only right option for the event and went Team Triss.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Okay I crafted Second Wind Greatswords (wanted to try Syndicate as I've never played them but didn't have that much scrap) and I remember why I like Skellige so much and why I like this game sometimes lol

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
You'll get a sick card back if you link your GoG and Twitch accounts, and then watch eight hours of the Gwent Masters tournament later this month.
CDPR have said they don't want people feeling like they have to spend money to collect all the cards, and I know there is quite a lot of F2P players with full collections. I can't say in comparison to HS as I've never played it, but it is easy enough to earn resources just by playing dailies, completing contracts, etc.
I don't know how comparable Gwent is to Hearthstone, since there isn't a Standard format enforcing use of recently added cards. Hearthstone can be a rat race since you have to have the latest cards if you don't want to play in the Wild format, which is not the case here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Leave a computer on with the stream going overnight?
That or you could find someone in a different timezone willing to watch on your account.
My computer's in my room, so that's a little annoying but doable. Can I just leave the stream window open and it'll start viewing when it goes live? These Twitch things always confuse me

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Got into the Android beta and it seems fine so far. If I can get used to the smaller screen I'll probably stop playing on PC.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Jason Slama was on a stream earlier talking about the game and answering questions. I'm guessing it was the stuff they were going to share at Masters before it was postponed.

The big points are six new leader abilities in next patch on April 2nd (album of them: https://imgur.com/a/ZCUBXGw#wlI1SkC). And only 2 big expansions this year (probably June/Dec).

Lots of other stuff mentioned, full overview is here: https://old.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/flwcb7/merchants_of_novigrad_leek_list/

The new Monster ability looks fun, it should help Deathwish after the Death's Shadow change some months ago kinda killed it. Plus there could be potential with Crimson Curse! And it can be used like a pseudo Purify if needed.

Syndicate ability seems quite strong too, cards like Sea Jackal, Flying Redanian and Saul are already quite strong and now their requirements will be even lower.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
(extremely quiet voice) I've actually been enjoying Gwent more than Runeterra lately, although I've hit a rut at rank 9

I really like the new Syndicate ability and once auto mill is back I should have enough to start crafting decks other than Skellige so I'll probably build Syndicate unless they nerf it into the ground. Hearing that Skellige is getting cards changed also has me nervous.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I've never played The Witcher so I don't care about Geralt, but I assume if you like him that's a tempting battle pass.

Here's the patch notes by the way:
playgwent.com

Update 6.1 Patch Notes

Update 6.1 is coming and packs a lot of awesome stuff, including 6 new leader abilities, a new keyword: Initiative, and multiple balance changes! Full list can be found below!

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Sure thought that it is an april fool thingy for a moment there.

I'm pretty much over FOMO-passes, so kinda meh, even if some of the goodies are pretty nice.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I was actually enjoying the meta last month but this month is just Hidden Cache and Imposter. Six games tonight, all of them had one or the other. It's either broken SY or the fun sapping NG everywhere. (E: just realized everyone is playing NG/Aristocrats for the Quest ugh, what a shitty way to skew the meta)

I even wanted to build SY and had been buying kegs for them over the last two months but I'm they're obviously going to get nerfed into the ground after this so why bother?

Last edited:

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I wouldn't worry about them nerfing Syndicate into the ground - it has too many good cards for that happen, between very competitive 4p cards, insane golds, and multiple playable leaders. Hidden Cache and Saul are really the main two that need, and probably will see, nerfs. Saul deserved a nerf before Cache was added, so he needs one with its existence.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah but even if they don't completely ruin Syndicate I basically can't build anything now because who knows what's going to get hit. I'm stuck until next patch.

And holy fuck the NG never ends. Plus the amount of players that can clearly see I'm just playing a deck to farm for a quest who decide to push for round two to try and beat me early is really annoying. I'll let you farm for your pointless shit, just let me farm for mine? I wouldn't have to do this if the game had better quests.

Good thing for CDPR is that the battle pass seems to have pulled in a lot of money, I'm seeing Geralt basically every game.

e: managed to trigger the mill glitch to get rid of my extra 3rd and 4th copies of cards and score an extra 2000 scrap so that cheered me up lol

Last edited:

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to the upcoming changes I dumped my powder and transmuted most of my legendaries.

I rarely actually used them. I'm a dirty hoarder.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, you can't actually do any of the new journey quests until you did the previous week ones.

That's actually not how it works in other games.

But hey, battle/season passes have always been a contest between devs in screwing customers over.

Feb 27, 2019
Been getting into this via a friend of mine. Very fun. Probably the most fun I've had with one of these card-battlers. And I do have to say the F2P stuff is very generous.

I do hope they consider releasing a Switch version (even though I know they killed the other console versions). I think my iPad is too old to run it and I'm not getting a newer one anytime soon. The iOS version is quite fun on my iPhone but it'd be nice to have it on a bigger screen with the Switch.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I come back to this game, everyone is complaining about whatever meta the game currently has. It really takes part of the fun out of the game. That said, I absolutely love making my own decks and playing them online. Right now I run a Lippy discard control list I came up with myself. I can absolutely win against stuff like boosty/swarm NR and that feels great.

I am actually considering buying the fast travel bundle. I am only lvl 16 and I kind of want to go premium, mostly to unlock more quests to grind for + the cosmetics. At the same time, work is going to be busy so I won't be able to grind every single day.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Wow this new patch is bad. Like embarrassingly so. Assimilate bug. Premiums nerfed hard on PC. Invisible, uninteractable units. Absolutely should've been delayed or rolled back.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Dropped it a few months ago after playing since the kill the servers test. Just got insanely tired of the ranked grind, and the game made me rage too much when I lost. Now that it's on steam I wanted to look around, nothing really changed that much besides the Journey thing, which is cool but I don't wanna spend money to grind more. Played a ranked game thinking it would be easy since I dropped to rank 11 by not playing for months but just got destroyed by annoying poison nilfgaard and I remembered why I stopped playing lol.

Might just play some arena now and then or something and come back next expansion. Happy it's on steam at least so my witcher collection is almost complete. Hope I can get gog thronebreaker on steam somehow (without buying it twice or adding it as a non-steam game that is)

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I still play every few days, but really just waiting for next expansion. Pretty bored of current meta and cardpool. The new leader abilities were initially fun, but I need something more.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Glad it's up on Steam hope that gives the game a shot in the arm.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Gwent Open this weekend. The draw show is happening tomorrow + there's some rewards for watching.

I'm hoping they drop some info about next expansion, I'm thoroughly bored at this point.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Trailer:

Reveal page:

www.playgwent.com

Master Mirror

Play GWENT — a strategy card game of choices and consequences, where skill, not luck, is your greatest weapon.

Fun new (and old) mechanics, looks interesting. Pricey cosmetics though jeez.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Really don't like the idea that a bunch of the pivotal characters/stories in the franchise were all influenced/orchestrated by Gaunter. It's actually the worst kind of storytelling imaginable to have him be behind everything.

The story and deal between him and Olgierd was interesting to follow, but making him be behind the actions of (likely) the Usurper, Eredin, Jacques de Aldersberg and whoever the other three will be is just plain cheap.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Really don't like the idea that a bunch of the pivotal characters/stories in the franchise were all influenced/orchestrated by Gaunter. It's actually the worst kind of storytelling imaginable to have him be behind everything.

The story and deal between him and Olgierd was interesting to follow, but making him be behind the actions of (likely) the Usurper, Eredin, Jacques de Aldersberg and whoever the other three will be is just plain cheap.
It's definitely a bit weird, and does cheapen the stories he's involved in if they're going to all be key events in the setting, especially ones from the books.
But at the same time, it also makes some degree of sense. If Gaunter has been a character in CDPR's Witcher universe seemingly for all time, based on Heart of Stone and an easter egg in Thronebreaker, then there should be a lot more that he's had his hand in, and that does sound like a good idea for an expansion. And it definitely wouldn't be as interesting if they elaborated on events we haven't heard of before.