• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
<Enters thread to get a laugh
<Starts seeing comments about eggs in vaginas and coffee enemas without knowing why
<Google those words alongside Gwyneth Paltrow
<Now I'm sad because I lost all the respect for one of my favorite characters in the MCU

Seriously WTF? HOW IN THE FUCK SHE COULD BE POTTS?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
This is exactly what people are talking about with cultural appropriation. one person or group taking a piece of a culture and claiming it as their own discovery.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Gwen is not even the craziest person in the Iron Man movies. Try to read through this mathematical proof by Terrence Howard that 1x1=2 and how the Annunaki, the Sky People work into it.

Man I hope his 3rd grade math teacher isnt alive to see this. If they were, this probably would have been lethally embarassing

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we wanna be real precise, she isn't claiming she popularized yoga, she's claiming she commercialized yoga, that she inspired a market of California white ladies who go to studios and pay for yoga class. Which: maybe fair.

I would kill a man to know if this story actually happened or if she just thought up a good quip after the fact and since she's her she can say it to media instead of just thinking about it in the shower the next morning.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's definitely right.

I love that Gwenneth Paltrow lacks so much self-awareness that, a) she'd actually say that to an employee asking a boiler plate question that she probably has to ask all customers and b) that she'd then REPEAT this story to the press because she's so proud of it.

Further, if you introduced yoga to the West and you're rich as fuck, why are you going to a Yoga studio that has a person at a counter asking customers whether this is their first time? You'd have to think that maybe you'd have a higher standard of yoga than a studio often attended by first-timers.

That's only if you assume she doesn't go around deliberately putting herself into ego driving situations. It would be like me going into game stores, staring intently at a box of a game I've worked on and waiting for a bored clerk to finally say something...

WONqQDX.png

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A shitload of girls are into hot yoga. This is a, max, 5 year old phenomenon. No idea if she helped popularized it, but whoever it was certainly had a lot on impact on how popular yoga is right now.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I have to go back to Europe. No one talks about being responsible for popularizing yoga in Europe.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Has Paltrow always been an asshole? Or is this a last few years development? I don't remember her being so high and mighty ten years ago.

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Also lol did she actually say that to the girl working the counter because can you imagine being that rude to some minimum wage employee following their work protocol.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Man I hope his 3rd grade math teacher isnt alive to see this. If they were, this probably would have been lethally embarassing

You know, while it's written like every piece of mathematical reasoning done by people who don't know much about math (lots of appeals to equilibrium, etc.) usually most of the ones I've seen are by people who know how adding and subtracting works. This is impressive, in a way

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it's nonsense but she has made it a bit more popular and she does wield a surprising amount of power and influence over some of my girl friends. They're all sorta post-ironic about it and joke about the jade eggs etc, but they still read Goop and buy shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Gwen is not even the craziest person in the Iron Man movies. Try to read through this mathematical proof by Terrence Howard that 1x1=2 and how the Annunaki, the Sky People work into it.

I love reading this from time to time.
The amount of work put into a completely incorrect premise just makes it hilarious every time.
Way more fun to read Terrance trying to be smart than to read about Gwen's latest entrance into the jackass competition.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
You know, while it's written like every piece of mathematical reasoning done by people who don't know much about math (lots of appeals to equilibrium, etc.) usually most of the ones I've seen are by people who know how adding and subtracting works. This is impressive, in a way

Exactly, the problem is that he doesnt seem to be able to comprehend the possibility that addition and multiplication aren't the same thing. That's like, stuff you learn with the alphabet. I can cut him a little slack for labeling three different instances of the same number with different variables, but not + vs x

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I thought yoga got popular because of that SNL skit where Will Ferrell was finally able to kiss his own knob. Silly me.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
<Enters thread to get a laugh
<Starts seeing comments about eggs in vaginas and coffee enemas without knowing why
<Google those words alongside Gwyneth Paltrow
<Now I'm sad because I lost all the respect for one of my favorite characters in the MCU

Seriously WTF? HOW IN THE FUCK SHE COULD BE POTTS?

Hmm? Pepper Potts is a fictional character, who Paltrow is in real life has no bearing on that. Why would you lose respect for a fictional character based on what the actress who played her does? Unless you mean you lost respect for Paltrow. Although I still don't see why any of this would affect you so deeply as it relates to Pepper

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
I went to yoga this morning because of Gwen. Thank you, blessed Gwenneth. I also went for a swim after, did Gwen ever swim before? Thanks for that too.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
In the west? I dont know enough to say otherwise. I am sure it was a celebrity that made it mainstream.

Yoga entered the West through the hippie movement in the 60s, and became mainstream through a lot of little developments from a ton of people that saw commercial opportunity in the practice.

Companies like Gaiam, Yoga Journal, lululemon, etc. and individuals that commercialized their specific practices had a bigger impact than any one celebrity.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm? Pepper Potts is a fictional character, who Paltrow is in real life has no bearing on that. Why would you lose respect for a fictional character based on what the actress who played her does? Unless you mean you lost respect for Paltrow. Although I still don't see why any of this would affect you so deeply as it relates to Pepper

Because each time that I see her on screen I would instantly think of coffee enemas

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I claim this with sushi fwiw. I got terrorized in the early 90's when I fell in love with sushi. We're probably both wrong.