• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Apparently he's trying to drum up interest/looking at the success of Travis Strikes Again in order to make No More Heroes 3 afterwards. Says he wants "to bring back a numbered sequel" according to a translator.

He also said he already has the outline of what No More Heroes 3 would be about.

It's deep speculation but it probably means that he's thinking of making it for the switch, and he would probably direct this game too, which he didn't do since No More Heroes 1 (and now the upcoming Travis Strikes Again)

Other things to note :
  • Game is 35-40% complete but Suda is confident to release the game in 2018
  • You will learn new skills for both Travis and Badman (and they would be different for each)
  • There will be different types of gameplay (it doesn't mean each world will have a completely different gameplay system)
  • 2 DJs will handle the music of the game, with Jun Fukada for the sound effects department
  • Masafumi Takada will probably make new tracks for TSA, is confirmed to be working back for Grasshopper

Destructoid writer also said in a comment that will probably be detailed in a future article: "[...] I'm confident that the game will have depth based on what he told me."

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure we already knew this, I'll easily purchase this game if it means we get a true sequel though.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Masafumi Takada will probably make new tracks for TSA, is confirmed to be working back for Grasshopper
Masafumi Takada will probably make new tracks for TSA, is confirmed to be working back for Grasshopper

Oct 25, 2017
He's said this before yeah, but him being confident in a 2018 release is intriguing after hearing about the current state of the game.

In more far fetched observations, he hasn't talked about begging sakurai about Smash lately...

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

We also learned recently that he made one new track for the recently released The 25th Ward: The Silver Case game which marks his grand return in god knows when. He's probably still in a freelance capacity but they either sorted out whatever bad blood they had and/or the end of Danganronpa freed his schedule

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
The game just needs some more interesting enemy design to exploit its depth. The single player gameplay from gamespot looked pretty great.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Masafumi Takada making new tracks for TSA is cause for celebration alone.

That and The Silver Case's co-writer being back on board has me mad hyped for this game. It looks like it's gonna be an absolute trip.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We also learned recently that he made one new track for the recently released The 25th Ward: The Silver Case game which marks his grand return in god knows when. He's probably still in a freelance capacity but they either sorted out whatever bad blood they had and/or the end of Danganronpa freed his schedule

Maybe they can bring back Ishizaka too

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm buying it mostly because I think it looks cool but if it helps bringing No More Heroes 3 rather sooner than later, I'm even more on it.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So why not go multiplat?
Or is it a Bayonetta style deal?

Suda didn't say there was a deal as far as I'm concerned but no one is privy of what happens in the backstage. I think Suda is just genuinely excited about the switch and knows 90% of its NMH audience is still on a nintendo platform.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Won't touch it after seeing that gameplay footage but buy it switch owners! That NMH ps3 port was rather enjoyable.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Do it

tumblr_m0agi5w4HH1r28uwwo1_500.gif

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love the comment Suda has about the game adding big new things and going through major changes on the daily. It seems like it speaks more to Suda's indie sensibilities to always change things up til the last day and it feels like an advantage in game development to have with the kind of title this is

Also wanting to make a new game to reintroduce the character rather than just porting old games to "gauge interest", thank you.

So why not go multiplat?
Or is it a Bayonetta style deal?
Suda thinks of the franchise as Nintendo exclusive and wants it to remain that way (if only to help Travis' characters in Smash).

Feb 26, 2018
Suda didn't say there was a deal as far as I'm concerned but no one is privy of what happens in the backstage. I think Suda is just genuinely excited about the switch and knows 90% of its NMH audience is still on a nintendo platform.

I think he said it's Switch exclusive because he wants Travis in Smash. Probably the facts that NMH on other console sold a lot less than on Wii and that they are a super small development team are important too.

Because the No More Heroes fan base is more or less is on Nintendo console.

Suda thinks of the franchise as Nintendo exclusive and wants it to remain that way (if only to help Travis' characters in Smash).

Travis in Smash? That's some dedication lol
About his TA being on Nintendo - does he really thinks that no one switched from Wii to PC/Xbox/Ps? And there was a port on PS3 if i remember correctly.
Even the indy games he collaborating with found most success on other platforms (mostly PC).
But if it's a Suda's plan - i wish him luck.
I will be waiting for a proper sequel for NMH

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Honestly I think this is a bit of a mistake
It was obvious the interest is there after the initial tease at the Switch reveal event. If anything, I think there's a lot of people disappointed it's an indie game spinoff rather than a proper sequel.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yeah not a surprise at all, but nice to hear another confirmation. Hopefully people buy it, even if it looks simple on the gameplay side.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Should throw in NMH 1+2 onto the Switch as well, could help drum up more interest

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
About his TA being on Nintendo - does he really thinks that no one switched from Wii to PC/Xbox/Ps? And there was a port on PS3 if i remember correctly.
Even the indy games he collaborating with found most success on other platforms (mostly PC).
Suda really hate ps3 port iirc

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think this is a bit of a mistake
It was obvious the interest is there after the initial tease at the Switch reveal event. If anything, I think there's a lot of people disappointed it's an indie game spinoff rather than a proper sequel.
While it's easy to read into this in a cynical fashion of "holding a game hostage" it's worth pointing out that TSA is very much a game Suda wanted to make. He specifically wanted to make a game that pays tribute to indie games and his own roots as a developer with an "indie" mindset, while also using it as a springboard to get people reacquainted with the character of Travis Touchdown.

I'm pretty sure if Suda wanted to, he could get a No More Heroes 3 off the ground fairly easily. Nintendo seem excited to push the franchise to the forefront and NMH3 probably doesn't need the biggest budget. Considering a lot of the general feedback to the game has been positive I think it was the right move and it certainly beats having to do another remaster song and dance.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like about what I was expecting, but honestly, TSA doesn't really seem like the kind of game I want to pay money for, and I'm not really in the business of buying games I'm not super interested in just so other games might get made in the future.

Regardless, I hope it works out for Suda at least, even if this is one journey I probably won't be following him on.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

NMH on PS3 was a terrible port, and an utter failure at everything : not only it played worse than the original, it was even a downgrade visually in some instances (it introduced a lot of tearing, it removed a lot of visual effects/transitions) and the added content was done miserably (four bosses from NMH2 that didn't blend well with the gameplay at all). It also bombed. No More Heroes is a franchise severely tied with Nintendo audience and that's why TSA is only on Switch.

The first game got an "enhanced" port (re: botched in pretty much every way) to other systems, but it did way worse on those platforms than it did on Wii. Grasshopper had nothing to do with it.

I do hope that he's been talking to the right people on getting the first two games remastered for Switch, since that too can go a long way in drumming up interest, and in a relatively cheap way to boot.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
While it's easy to read into this in a cynical fashion of "holding a game hostage" it's worth pointing out that TSA is very much a game Suda wanted to make. He specifically wanted to make a game that pays tribute to indie games and his own roots as a developer with an "indie" mindset, while also using it as a springboard to get people reacquainted with the character of Travis Touchdown.

I'm pretty sure if Suda wanted to, he could get a No More Heroes 3 off the ground fairly easily. Nintendo seem excited to push the franchise to the forefront and NMH3 probably doesn't need the biggest budget. Considering a lot of the general feedback to the game has been positive I think it was the right move and it certainly beats having to do another remaster song and dance.

I don't have any issues with the game and can understand that Suda is making it cause that's what he wants to do, I just don't think it's a good idea to use this game to gauge interest for a full fledged sequel

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That was a HD port that Suda 51 had nothing to do with, plus it was terrible and even Suda himself hates it. Plus that port also sold poorly whereas No More Heroes on the Wii sold really well.

The fan base is primarily on Nintendo system.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love everything about this game and wish more serieses did this shit. Suda making kirbyequse experimental sequels is great.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This also confirms the other project Grashopper is currently working on isn't NMH3 (which I thought was obvious but many people seemed to believe it, so...)

Hope it goes well, and hope Travis Strikes Back is good as the concept hugely interests me. I remember early footage of Lollipop Chainsaw not looking great to me, but I loved the final product, so I'm going to hold out hope here. And that didn't even have Suda involvement, but I'm mainly mentioning since I notice early showing of Grasshopper's games honestly don't look that good usually, but the end games I usually end up enjoying.

Feb 26, 2018
Suda really hate ps3 port iirc

NMH on PS3 was a terrible port, and an utter failure at everything : not only it played worse than the original, it was even a downgrade visually in some instances (it introduced a lot of tearing, it removed a lot of visual effects/transitions) and the added content was done miserably (four bosses from NMH2 that didn't blend well with the gameplay at all). It also bombed. No More Heroes is a franchise severely tied with Nintendo audience and that's why TSA is only on Switch.

The first game got an "enhanced" port (re: botched in pretty much every way) to other systems, but it did way worse on those platforms than it did on Wii. Grasshopper had nothing to do with it.

I do hope that he's been talking to the right people on getting the first two games remastered for Switch, since that too can go a long way in drumming up interest, and in a relatively cheap way to boot.

That was a HD port that Suda 51 had nothing to do with, plus it was terrible and even Suda himself hates it. Plus that port also sold poorly whereas No More Heroes on the Wii sold really well.

The fan base is primarily on Nintendo system.

Never knew ps port was such a failure. Thanks for the info guys.
You still ignored my other arguments tho

But if you really think that fanbase never moved from Wii - than ok, maybe multiplat release are not worth the trouble.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
But if you really think that fanbase never moved from Wii - than ok, maybe multiplat release are not worth the trouble.

Of course some fans went to other platforms. But that's like with most niche/exclusives, you hope that those fans would come back, and work a lot so that it looks appealing enough for that too.
It's like games exclusive to other platforms (outside of obvious funding) but not coming to Switch (or other platforms), it's not necessarily worth it (time/money/gameplay/effort/etc).

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Never knew ps port was such a failure. Thanks for the info guys.
You still ignored my other arguments tho

Honestly I am all for Multiplat release, but I suspect that aside from being developed and published by Grasshopper, Nintendo is putting forth a massive advertising push for this game, and in exchange for like 2 years worth of hype and press, it is very likely they have an exclusivity ( or at least times exclusive) contract.

On the topic of no More Heroes 3, is it odd that Travis Strikes Again is something I am looking forward to far more than a numbered sequel. As I mentioned in another thread, I feel these spinoff titles take more risks and end up being better, like Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, Metal Gear Acid 1-2, and Resident Evil Revelations....they take a lot more freedom and stray away from what is expected, and that makes the games feel more creative and more interesting.

And honestly I feel like Suda 51 is at his finest when he is taking risks and doing what he wants.

If Travis Strikes Again has even half the magic and creative love of a game like Metal Gear Acid...I will be thrilled. And knowing suda - San, this game will be magical AF.