• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Google Translated from DI.se (Dagens Industri - Today's Industry, a respectable economic newspaper in Sweden)

"The clothing giant H& recalls a model model of children's socks with Lego motifs. Customers have criticized the socks as they consider reading "Allah" in the picture.

"Altogether a coincidence," says Petra Buchinger, Press Officer at H & M.

After criticizing the advertising of a sweater with the text "Coolest Monkey In The Jungle", H&M has created new dissatisfaction - with a pair of socks.

The motif on the socks is a Lego figure that drills in the ground. In a video on Facebook, a man criticizes the company when he believes that the line that illustrates the drill bounces prints "Allah" on the socks.

As a consequence, H & M has removed the socks from its range.

"The print on the stocking depicting a Lego figure and that it would look like a sign for something else is entirely coincidence. But because customers have responded, we have chosen to remove the socks," says Petra Buchinger, Press Officer at H & M.

She adds that H & M constantly looks over its product range, and strives to offer products that they think customers will appreciate.

"We've learned of the event with the shirt and have further strengthened our internal routines," says Petra Buchinger."

https://www.di.se/nyheter/olycklig-tillfallighet-far-hm-att-dra-tillbaka-strumpor/

Untitled-design-768x402.png

Here's the Facebook video.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
What I really need to know is if the complaints came from muslims or from people who don't like muslims

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They never mention this, but the secret 6th pillar of Islam is "sock"

Also people are freaking out over this? That looks like a cursive lowercase w to me. lol

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I guess if you turn socks upside down and squint at them, then this is what you will find.

OP
OP
Fudgepuppy

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I really need to know is if the complaints came from muslims or from people who don't like muslims

Seems to be muslims.

I don't understand what they're saying, but I have a hard time seeing a Somalian posting the video for any other reason than dismay.

What really irritates me with this one, is that it just furthers the stereotype that muslims only care about their religion, with no respect for others. I'm 100% certain that most muslims in Europe finds this ridiculous, but now people will be talking about this as if all muslims believe that everyone needs to respect their religion above everything else.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Seems to be muslims.

I don't understand what they're saying, but I have a hard time seeing a Somalian posting the video for any other reason than dismay.

What really irritates me with this one, is that it just furthers the stereotype that muslims only care about their religion, with no respect for others. I'm 100% certain that most muslims in Europe finds this ridiculous, but now people will be talking about this as if muslims believe that everyone needs to respect their religion above everything else.
so no more "W"s?

moonknight93

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Only a religious fundamentalist can be offended and enraged by something this silly. Companies, and people in general, should not give any kind of regard to these ridiculous complaints.

NorthandSouth

Nov 13, 2017
This is stupid (full disclosure I am Muslim) and I was seriously ready to dish out the outrage when I read the title. That's clearly meant to represent repetitive movement. People who tend to make a fuss over something like this are definitely NOT representative of the Muslim community at large. They're dumb fundamentalists whose opinions should not be taken into account and whose opinions should not be validated.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to be muslims.

for some people, they think it's disgrace to god if the name of allah found on something like that, but i am also can't see it.

it happens here too in the coca cola sticker if you flip it, it's really stupid

coca-cola.jpg

here it says "no mohammed - no mecca"

OP
OP
Fudgepuppy

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is stupid (full disclosure I am Muslim) and I was seriously ready to dish out the outrage when I read the title. That's clearly meant to represent repetitive movement. People who tend to make a fuss over something like this are definitely NOT representative of the Muslim community at large. They're dumb fundamentalists whose opinions should not be taken into account and whose opinions should not be validated.

Just out of curiosity, do you believe it's sacrilegious when anyone mentions, talks about or draws Allah or Muhammed, even if they're not muslims?

This is what baffles me about fundamentalists (not you). Why is it so offensive and horrible that someone doesn't believe or adhere to the same religion as you?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
They deserved every bit of backlash from the sweater thing, but this one is just asinine, and grasping at straws.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
agreed. I guess they didn't want any more stores vandalized though?
Probably picking and choosing their battles. In the end, it's just a damn sock and corporations are generally risk adverse.

I don't agree with it, but I can understand the sentiment from a business perspective.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
...It's just a series of U shapes. You can't get mad about Us. This one is a big stretch.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity, do you believe it's sacrilegious when anyone mentions, talks about or draws Allah or Muhammed, even if they're not muslims?

This is what baffles me about fundamentalists (not you). Why is it so offensive and horrible that someone doesn't believe or adhere to the same religion as you?

Is it equally horrible that Christians in the Government are trying to control women's vaginas?

Since you're so worried about Islam and what people do or don't feel offended by.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just don't but it if it offends you. About as silly as good ole boys that cry over kneeling.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Hmmm.... I just see action lines depicting the path of the jackhammer. I mean the last one was truly awful, but this, whatever just use dotted lines, or shorten or lengthen it so it doesn't have that similarity anymore.

Im more concerned with the fact that poor construction worker appears to have been ripped in half by the force of the device. Its all right lego people, you can be put back together again!

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
"Allah" looks vaguely like a W and so does that pattern so basically this is dumb

OP
OP
Fudgepuppy

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it equally horrible that Christians in the Government are trying to control women's vaginas?

Since you're so worried about Islam and what people do or don't feel offended by.

What's with the whataboutism?

No, it's worse what women in Poland, Ireland and America have to go through with their bodies because of awful christians in government.

I'm wary and not a fan of all religions. Don't have a problem with most religious people I've met. Most of them were good people, but I know they would've been good people with or without religion.