• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
The man is clearly misinformed and is seeing something that isn't there, still though I get why H&M would want to recall the sock and avoid the "bad" press.

Wait what?
here

44806-mrgay.jpg

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of see it but its still odd to be outraged at all by this.

I'm a somali muslim person.

Some people see what they want to see, like a bunny in the clouds, a side profile of elvis in a half eaten sandwich...ect...

I wonder exactly how many people were vocally upset about this though or jumped on the wave of outrage that was already created.

cryptoadam

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Looking for something that isn't there.

H&M should of stood up to this but with all the bad press they have gotten lately they decided to just recall the socks anyways.

I don't doubt you could probably find 1000's of shirt with the word GOD or Jesus on them so even if it somewhat closely resembles the Arabic words for Allah I don't find it a reason to cancel these socks.

Oct 28, 2017
Just out of curiosity, do you believe it's sacrilegious when anyone mentions, talks about or draws Allah or Muhammed, even if they're not muslims?

This is what baffles me about fundamentalists (not you). Why is it so offensive and horrible that someone doesn't believe or adhere to the same religion as you?

As a muslim myself (and someone who used to get outraged by this kind of things), the offensive part of this particularly is the fact that it has Gods name and you wear it on your feet, therefore disrespecting God. In general, I think it's an anti-western anxiety, because most muslim (I only know about the Arab) countries have a tension between westernization and traditional religious values, it's complicated and not that both ideas clash or are in complete contrast with one and other. It has to do identify, community, and the degree of religiosity.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be muslims.

I don't understand what they're saying, but I have a hard time seeing a Somalian posting the video for any other reason than dismay.

What really irritates me with this one, is that it just furthers the stereotype that muslims only care about their religion, with no respect for others. I'm 100% certain that most muslims in Europe finds this ridiculous, but now people will be talking about this as if all muslims believe that everyone needs to respect their religion above everything else.
These are the same nuts that think the Coca Cola logo reads in Arabic, "no Muhammed, no Mecca" when read backwards.

e46550_4336417.jpg

NorthandSouth

Nov 13, 2017
Just out of curiosity, do you believe it's sacrilegious when anyone mentions, talks about or draws Allah or Muhammed, even if they're not muslims?

This is what baffles me about fundamentalists (not you). Why is it so offensive and horrible that someone doesn't believe or adhere to the same religion as you?

Honestly, it depends. I don't care at the mention of things, it's the intent and degree of disrespect that get to me. It's part and parcel of my religion to respect both God and the Prophet. If I see someone else disrespecting either it is highly offensive to me. Obviously not to the extent where I would want to harm someone or something crazy like that; but it's certainly something that I would view as unacceptable.

I don't really care if someone isn't the same religion as me. It's upsetting when my religious and personal beliefs are treated with disrespect and ridcule for sure but even that is something tolerable. Reasonable discourse can normally solve any questions someone may have, and if someone is really set on their views then I just simply don't care.

Treating religious figures with disrespect however (like the cartoons) just to get a rise out of people is something that really pisses me off and definitely something I would react negatively too. Opinions or "expression" like that isn't meant to start discourse; it's meant to troll.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, is the idea that the designer tried to hide "Allah" on a lego sock as a super subtle affront to Muslims?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It's a lower case cursive w.

small_w_instructions.png

When you try to sell yourself as a victim in everything, you'll start assuming that everything is about you.

"Omg it looks like Arabic script, that must mean it's anti-Islam!"

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Whats the problem if it even explicitly says Allah? I've seen Christians who wear T-shirts that read "Jesus is my homeboy"

Witch

Jan 1, 2018
the moon
I feel like these customer"s" are lying about feeling offended. I can see the resemblance, but let's be real here. It's a cursive W. I actually feel bad for H&M now.
Whats the problem if it even explicitly says Allah? I've seen Christians who wear T-shirts that read "Jesus is my homeboy"
I'm assuming it's because it's on a sock, which is worn on the foot. Feet are dirty -> disrespect
I find it very hard to believe that anyone would be serious about being offended by this anyway.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like these customer"s" are lying about feeling offended. I can see the resemblance, but let's be real here. It's a cursive W. I actually feel bad for H&M now.

I'm assuming it's because it's on a sock, which is worn on the foot. Feet are dirty -> disrespect
I find it very hard to believe that anyone would be serious about being offended by this anyway.

I've got you covered

9OLw732.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2827904842...=1007300&device=c&campaignid=974966814&crdt=0

Fl1ADDH.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MY7CA04/?tag=e100-21

Also, lol, H&M can't catch a break.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, and those are illustrations, not a couple of SQUIGGLY LINES that MAY OR MAY NOT say something.

They're also not sold by H&M lol, but even if H&M did sell them I doubt anyone would care.

H&M do not sell any religiously branded clothing, not even gimmick stuff, so obviously these socks in the OP have nothing to do with Allah. It's the equivalent of seeing Jesus in a bit of toast. Human beings are pattern seekers and someone actually thinks they see Allah.... *sigh*.

Witch

Jan 1, 2018
the moon
They're also not sold by H&M lol, but even if H&M did sell them I doubt anyone would care.

H&M do not sell any religiously branded clothing, not even gimmick stuff, so obviously these socks in the OP have nothing to do with Allah. It's the equivalent of seeing Jesus in a bit of toast. Human beings are pattern seekers and someone actually thinks they see Allah.... *sigh*.
Exactly. It makes no sense at all to get upset over it. I wanna smack whoever started this, because it makes everyone else look bad.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why H&M would bother with these idiots. I'm a Muslim (and a conservative one, at that), but this just screams lunacy, just how the others about Coke and Pepsi were idiotic conspiracies. Conspiracies aren't unique to one culture or people.

For anyone who speaks Somali, does the guy repeating "share" actually refer to sharing in English or is that another word? Because if it does, it just seems like something the guy wanted to get likes and shares on his post.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are 2 parts about this, which feel kinda off. First of all, I'm not a fundamentalist!

So, with that out of the way:
1. Why does the first "bump" start halfway in the air? Like, it doesn't make any sense to me that someone would like to do it exactly like this.
2. Why is there a "partition" at the last one? Why does the pattern change in one and the same picture?

Some in here say it looks like a w. Why should it look like a w though?
It shows a worker with a jackhammer and some lines.

I mean, yeah...I certainly wouldn't have thought anything like that if somebody didn't tell me beforehand, but after the fact I do think that certain people could see exactly that.
It sounds dumb and all, sure.

Going down the rabbit hole is fun!