• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
H1Z1 developers have access to a in-game developer console and one command that's available to H1Z1 developers is an invisibility command and recently, a H1Z1 developer was caught during a livestream using the invisibility command accidentally in a public game.

This YouTube video was in an YouTube email I get of videos YouTube believes I would be interested in.

I've looked into this and this has made the news: https://gamerant.com/h1z1-livestream-fail-dev-cheat/

Take Joshua Kriegshauser, for example, Technical Director of popular battle royale title H1Z1.

Most wouldn't know Kriegshauser's name or face, but the H1Z1 dev has amassed a decent following on Twitch, where he regularly streams matches. But Kriegshauser has found new fame thanks to a clip of him accidentally using cheats in a live match.

Before any sort of witch hunt develops, it's important to point out that Kriegshauser made an honest mistake and his regular matches are devoid of cheating. He's simply a developer that enjoys playing his studio's game with its fans, and one time he accidentally left his invisibility dev tool active and got a kill with it.

Kotaku: https://kotaku.com/h1z1-dev-leaves-cheats-on-while-streaming-in-apparent-a-1820617915

Unfortunately, on a recent personal stream, one H1Z1 developer leapt into the game with some of their special powers still on.

Joshua Kriegshauser is H1Z1's technical director and often streams the battle royale game on Twitch. During a match with friends, Kriegshauser was shocked to find that he seemed to have forgotten to turn off his developer-only invisibility until he blasted another group of players.

Spotting a group of enemy players in the distance, Kriegshauser chased them down in a stolen police vehicle, coldly shooting them with his pump action shotgun before freezing in his tracks as their voices came over the in-game comms.
\
"What is happening?" one of Kriegshauser's teammates, who later says they didn't see him as invisible, asks.

"A dev is fucking cheating," a fallen player says.

Kriegshauser immediately stops shooting, although he's already claimed one player's digital life. "You can't see me?" he asks before opening his console command line and typing in the command to remove his invisibility.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an honest mistake. Makes for an amusing video, but nothing to kick up a fuss about.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully he doesnt get harrassed, seems like a honest mistake. But maybe he should have a completely seperate PC for when he streams and plays H1Z1.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Yea I dont see the issue either or why this is important. He made a mistake.
Hes probably just so used to using those commands when hes working.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
"oh sorry let me deactivate my INVISIBILITY mode that I have because I'm a DEVELOPER, because we have these CONSOLE COMMANDS that only we can use :)"

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
800px-simpsons_angry_mob.png

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not like WarZ where the devs were spawning in the best weapons and fucking everyone up with god mode.

Last edited:

Gaz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Didn't this happen weeks ago? It was an accident and the dude was incredibly remorseful about it, what is there to discuss?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Definitely strange that it doesn't even draw you at lower opacity to indicate it is on, but I guess in testing you'd want to ensure it's as "live" as possible. Thankfully it wasn't ill-intent and probably got the details of those he killed and sent them some skins for the trouble.

Also, holy shit H1Z1 looks terrible compared to PUBG or Fortnite. Hell even on Fortnite's case it looks so much more arcadey and unnatural, just jumping out of a car with no repercussions.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How is a dev-only console command still active in a live version of the game?

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Dev has access to dev command and accidentally leaves jt on in public match

I'm absolutely shocked

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Unforgivable.

Think of the mental anguish the poor player(s) who fell victim to his nefarious cheating will go through.
*stares in silence*

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Didn't this happen weeks ago? It was an accident and the dude was incredibly remorseful about it, what is there to discuss?

It's the new fashion - 'outrage fishing'. See how much internet venom we can generate. Always the possibility that we might be able to ban him from something, contact his employers, loved ones, priest etc.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
We'll, he's a Dev.

If I made the game, I'd probably mess around too.

One of the perks of making your own games.

I doubt he's abusing it to top the rankings or whatever that game uses. He probably uses it for debugging more than anything.

It's also easier to catch cheaters and exploiters when you're invisible.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Well, he's a real developer of H1Z1, so I guess he can use the in-game developer console whenever he wants and technically he can say he's only doing research for his work, lol

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And why is this important

ok...so what? seems like a mistake. or am i meant to be outraged?

Dev has access to dev command and accidentally leaves jt on in public match

I'm absolutely shocked

It's the new fashion - 'outrage fishing'. See how much internet venom we can generate. Always the possibility that we might be able to ban him from something, contact his employers, loved ones, priest etc.

Incredible. It's impossible to talk about anything in the internet without the preemptive outrage about the possibility of there being outrage about something. The irony is killing me.

Gaz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Incredible. It's impossible to talk about anything in the internet without the preemptive outrage about the possibility of there being outrage about something. The irony is killing me.

Is this a joke post? What exactly are you contributing to the topic at hand with this reply?

Can you answer the question of what there is to discuss about what happened?

Or is this just a drive-by shitpost?

Oct 27, 2017

Then talk. Go on, talk about the person making a small mistake weeks ago, apologizing for it and not repeating it. I will read your productive and extensive discussions on this subject.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a joke post? What exactly are you contributing to the topic at hand with this reply?

Can you answer the question of what there is to discuss about what happened?

Maybe the poster just found out about it and wanted to share it with Era? I didn't make the thread so you're asking the wrong person. As for my contribution, it's as valid as yours, which is to say not much, admittedly.

This news is from November. What's the point in re-opening discussion of a non-controversy everyone obviously forgot about?

Why does it have to be a controversy? It's something that happened and people are free to discuss it or not without immediately jumping into preemptive outrage about non-existent outrage. I found it ironic and said as much, that's it.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm outraged rawr.

Id chalk this one up to honest mistake. Even if it wasn't seems like almost a non issue. It's not like he wiped out a whole server and ruined the game permanently.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
If there was ever an opportunity for good discussion here, it seems to have long passed us by.

Status
Not open for further replies.