• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Had no idea 'Sapiens' was pronounced differently between US and UK English. What are some of your pronunciation surprises?

Oct 25, 2017
(Some?) Americans not pronouncing the h in conch. Maybe a dialect thing?

I think terms derived from latin are consistently different between UK and US, although the only thing I can find on the subject is this, so I might be off on that.

Aug 1, 2018
(Some?) Americans not pronouncing the h in conch. Maybe a dialect thing?

I think terms derived from latin are consistently different between UK and US, although the only thing I can find on the subject is this, so I might be off on that.
Like a conch shell? I've only ever heard it pronounced with an "h". People pronounce it without one? Haha.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about "colour" until maybe like 4-5 years ago or so.

Also "Pro-gress" for canadians.
Is the US the only region where they say “Pra-gress”? I thought Canada just kind of was the same as over here. Though honestly I hear so many different accents though media so frequently I think I just kind of have accepted most different pronunciations of words and never really register it. It’s always more noticeable when written down.

Also Runescape got me no spelling Armor, Color, and Defense here in the US for like all of my youth.

Oct 27, 2017
Aluminum and Aluminium. I always do a double take whenever some Brit pronounces it like the latter when I'm listening to NPR or BBC. Especially since they make it sound more like Alumenium than with the i.

Oct 25, 2017
The way Americans spell/pronounce Aluminium... they say Al-oo-minum
aluminum

The US saves a syllable on this one.
Aluminum and Aluminium. I always do a double take whenever some Brit pronounces it like the latter when I'm listening to NPR or BBC. Especially since they make it sound more like Alumenium than with the i.

Yeah this was weird for me too when I found out.

Hot take tho: these are just two separate words and its the lamest thing when people get upset about it.