• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the British English form even though it's not as commonly used anymore:
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/pronunciation/british/homo-sapiens
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/homo-sapiens
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/pronunciation/english/homo-sapiens

Though it is used in talks like the below:

This all started from someone correcting me for using 'sape' and me looking it up thinking they were mad only to find that it is in fact the BE distinction. Which kind of blew me away as it sounded ridiculous on initial hearing.

Right, Ok but despite what that Tory sounding prick in the video says, I've lived in the UK for my 29.5 years of existence and have never heard it pronounced that way once.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Aussies

Vegemite - veg ee might
Marmite - mar might

Brits

Vegemite - veg em it ee
Marmite - marm it ee
This thread is making me question whether some posters have ever actually heard anyone from the UK speaking. I have never, ever, heard anyone in the UK pronounce Marmite as mar-mit-ee. Ever.

Basically, there are a lot of people here chatting shite. That's not pronounced shit-ee, btw.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
..why are you getting aggravated over this lol.
That's not me aggravated, we just like swearing and insulting people in the middle of normal conversation. It's basically endearment.

Can't count the amount of times I've heard it in podcasts.

Not all Americans do this. It's more just both pronunciations are accepted.

Nah, it's that one is correct and one is a total bastardisation of the word. I expect nothing less from the country that doesn't realise there's a 'u' in colour.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really, you've talked to that many Americans from that many different parts of the country?
Every single time I see somebody use it on this forum they put could care less. I've heard it in TV shows. Heard it in podcasts and from intelligent people. It's like nobody has stopped to consider what they're actually saying, because they end up using the exact opposite of what they're trying to communicate.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Yes, that is the correct pronunciation after all. :p

I've literally never heard this. Even the Mexican pastry is "concha" and so is the Latin. My mind is blown haha

As someone from Florida where conch shells and the Conch Republic are a thing...it's conk. I didn't realize people regularly said it how it's spelled elsewhere. I figured the accurate pronunciation would have spread.

Accurate would be more like the Latin origin, right? But, I mean, I know English pronunciation is a crapshoot. Just amazed because I've never heard it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is making me question whether some posters have ever actually heard anyone from the UK speaking. I have never, ever, heard anyone in the UK pronounce Marmite as mar-mit-ee. Ever.

Basically, there are a lot of people here chatting shite. That's not pronounced shit-ee, btw.

I did once know someone who - deliberately tongue-in-cheekily - pronounced the name of a popular UK magazine as "Rah-dee-oht-oh-mees"

RthtlCc.jpg

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys study Statistic, Genetic and Physic too?

No, you study Statistics, Genetics, Physics and Mathematics.

Maths is the correct abbreviation, much as Stats is the correct abbreviation.

You should be familiar with Stats from your beloved Baseball.

Argue all you want. I don't care if the clouds opened up and god shouted "It's maths" it is not going to happen.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every single time I see somebody use it on this forum they put could care less. I've heard it in TV shows. Heard it in podcasts and from intelligent people. It's like nobody has stopped to consider what they're actually saying, because they end up using the exact opposite of what they're trying to communicate.
And you've decided these are all Americans and represent the rest of America?

poliwhirl

Sep 14, 2018
It's hardly a common word, but I was very confused the first time I heard the American pronunciation of buoy. In the UK we would say boy, not boo-ee.

A couple of name pronunciations I've always found amusing are Craig and Graham.

Craig:
UK - "Craygg"
US - "Cregg"

Graham
UK - "Gray-um"
US - "Gram"

For the longest time I thought "Gram crackers" were a thing in the US.
Also this.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, another one that struck me:

5XW6yCe.png

I love Squirrel Girl dearly, but I did one heck of a double-take when she was experimenting with a theme song that was wholly dependent on "Squirrel" rhyming with "Girl".

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
And you've decided these are all Americans and represent the rest of America?
Aye, almost as if this entire thread is filled with people from all over the world making sweeping generalisations about how entire countries pronounce certain words. That goes for the UK and the US (and some input from our Aussie chums too).

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Compost. Got that one from Peppa Pig. North Americans simply pronounce the ending as post. In that show it is like it is pronounced with an a in it instead of the o.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Weird England: Yohgurt, sushi, pasta, vitamins.
Weird US: Craig, Graham, herb, mirror, buoy, Qatar, nuclear, Brisbane.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
How do UK speakers pronounce buoy? As an American who says "boo-E," I have a hard time imagining another way.

Is it like "b-woy?"

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
None of this is weird to me after I found out that brits typically warm their water for tea in the microwave.

Edit: so it seems like this isn't actually a thing. Lesson learned

Last edited: