• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What in the world

Sappiens??? Is that for real or just a misheard "slurred" pronunciation with the accent

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
(Some?) Americans not pronouncing the h in conch. Maybe a dialect thing?

I think terms derived from latin are consistently different between UK and US, although the only thing I can find on the subject is this, so I might be off on that.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about "colour" until maybe like 4-5 years ago or so.

Also "Pro-gress" for canadians.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
(Some?) Americans not pronouncing the h in conch. Maybe a dialect thing?

I think terms derived from latin are consistently different between UK and US, although the only thing I can find on the subject is this, so I might be off on that.

Like a conch shell? I've only ever heard it pronounced with an "h". People pronounce it without one? Haha.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
For the longest time I pronounced SCYTHE as "SKYTH" (like "sky" with a soft "th"). It's pronounced SIGH-TH with a hard "th." :)

61NQw1HPimL._UY550_.jpg

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about "colour" until maybe like 4-5 years ago or so.

Also "Pro-gress" for canadians.

Is the US the only region where they say "Pra-gress"? I thought Canada just kind of was the same as over here. Though honestly I hear so many different accents though media so frequently I think I just kind of have accepted most different pronunciations of words and never really register it. It's always more noticeable when written down.

Also Runescape got me no spelling Armor, Color, and Defense here in the US for like all of my youth.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gaol

Same pronunciation as jail...yeah right.

edit: mhh, might not be a UK vs US kind of thing.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ever since I heard "ad-ver-tiz-ment" it was clear that Brits are no longer the authority on the English language.

Oct 28, 2017
"Centre" confused me 30 years because I never heard anyone pronounce it. Once I found out it was the same as Center, I felt like Ariel walking on the beach with a mute tongue.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aluminum and Aluminium. I always do a double take whenever some Brit pronounces it like the latter when I'm listening to NPR or BBC. Especially since they make it sound more like Alumenium than with the i.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way Americans spell/pronounce Aluminium... they say Al-oo-minum

aluminum

The US saves a syllable on this one.

Aluminum and Aluminium. I always do a double take whenever some Brit pronounces it like the latter when I'm listening to NPR or BBC. Especially since they make it sound more like Alumenium than with the i.

Yeah this was weird for me too when I found out.

Hot take tho: these are just two separate words and its the lamest thing when people get upset about it.