• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't think I used one. When I was younger, I'd either call adult women Mrs. Surname if they were in a position of authority, or by their first name if they were parents of really close friends.

Technically, I guess the answer is probably madam or ma'am, but I don't think they get used like they do in, say, France, where kids routinely call adults monsieur and madame. I've only ever said madam or sir in a really professional letter.

By the same token, I don't think anyone really calls little girls miss or missy in the UK, whereas mademoiselle gets used a lot in France.

I know you guys in the US use missy to refer to clothing sizes for young girls.
Fascinating. I find formalisms and honorifics one of the most under talked about but fascinating parts of linguistics because of how I think it subconsciously affects our view of social structure

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
"Herbs".

CmFJ0mf.gif

The first time I heard a British person say "herbs" I assumed he was referring to a mark ass buster.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
(Re: "Conk" for conch:)

I first noticed it on a lengthy crosscountry train journey which would have been in 1996 or so, so it predates Spongebob.

How do they pronounce it in the film adaptation of Lord Of The Flies? Only ever read the book, but if the film got it wrong, that could account for the -ch pronunciation seeping into popular use.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
That does it. From now on, I'm only going to use the International Phonetic Alphabet.

ɪf ju hæv ə ˈprɑbləm wɪð ðæt, lɛt mi noʊ. ænd ɪts "kɑnʧ" ʃɛl!

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Sconn is actually correct isn't it? I thought scone was the chav way of pronouncing it.
Uhh, huh.. that's odd. Scone rhyming with "own" is typically mocked as a 'Queen's English' way of saying the word in my experience. With it rhyming with "on" typically seen as the 'common' way of saying it.

Never once seen that flipped to be the reverse.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Uhh, huh.. that's odd. Scone rhyming with "own" is typically mocked as a 'Queen's English' way of saying the word in my experience. With it rhyming with "on" typically seen as the 'common' way of saying it.

I say it to rhyme with "own" and I get mocked for being posh. Either is valid, though: see phone or sconce. English pronunciation is messed up.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd always thought it was the way people 'wot wanted 2 sound propr posh' said it, and it was sort of ironic as a result.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I say it to rhyme with "own" and I get mocked for being posh. Either is valid, though: see phone or sconce. English pronunciation is messed up.
I wasn't suggesting either was particularly correct, just more amazed that the "own" variation was seen as chavvy when my experience it's the opposite.

I'd always thought it was the way people 'wot wanted 2 sound propr posh' said it, and it was sort of ironic as a result.
That makes sense in a roundabout way. Originally seen as posh, picked up by people that want to appear posh but aren't and thus becomes associated with their use of it.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't suggesting either was particularly correct, just more amazed that the "own" variation was seen as chavvy when my experience it's the opposite.

That makes sense in a roundabout way. Originally seen as posh, picked up by people that want to appear posh but aren't and thus becomes associated with their use of it.
Nah the posh way was always the correct way to pronounce it, and then 'scone' was just used by people wanting to sound posh, but weren't.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Nah the posh way was always the correct way to pronounce it, and then 'scone' was just used by people wanting to sound posh, but weren't.
Off topic but the real question is what type of scone are we talking about and what with it?

Love the standard with jam and cream. Cheese is always amazing with a healthy (not so healthy) slab of butter. The farm shop down from my parents does Bacon and Stilton scones though and I'm sure I'd be bankrupt by now if they were any closer to me. Amazing things.

Now I'm hungry.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but the real question is what type of scone are we talking about and what with it?

Love the standard with jam and cream. Cheese is always amazing with a healthy (not so healthy) slab of butter. The farm shop down from my parents does Bacon and Stilton scones though and I'm sure I'd be bankrupt by now if they were any closer to me.
Ooh shall we talk cream first or jam first? Me and my girlfriend are for opposite sides of the Cornwall Devon divide (sorta) so we disagree

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Costco do an excellent fruit scone. Slap some good butter on one of those and just go to town.

Cream first on a plain scone though, obviously. I'm not a caveman.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ooh shall we talk cream first or jam first? Me and my girlfriend are for opposite sides of the Cornwall Devon divide (sorta) so we disagree
I feel like a scrub now because I didn't know this was a thing. I usually go cream first only because I find it's easier to apply jam to cream than vice versa. I fucking love clotted cream.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Can you imagine how complicated this conversation would be if we had gendered nouns?

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a scrub now because I didn't know this was a thing. I usually go cream first only because I find it's easier to apply jam to cream than vice versa. I fucking love clotted cream.
Devon is jam first (like cream on a pudding) Cornwall is cream first (as if it's butter). I'm the latter.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Isn't the British pronunciation of "private" and "privacy" different? At least the U.S. is consistent in that regard.
Pry-vut
Pry-vuh-see

Edit: Wait what. I just realised I say prih-vuh-see for "I need some privacy" and pry-vuh-see for "online privacy regulation".

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ummm we do not pronounce sapiens like that in the UK.

As for biggest surprise? That fact that 90% of Americans still can't understand that it's 'couldn't care less' Not 'could care less'.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whilst I'm at it, Americans pronouncing niche, you know, that French word, as 'nitch'. Drives me up the fucking wall.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Aussies

Vegemite - veg ee might
Marmite - mar might

Brits

Vegemite - veg em it ee
Marmite - marm it ee

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I dealt with English professionally on a daily basis for years before I found out no native speaker pronounces the "l" in "salmon"

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
All 3 English recordings (2 from the UK - 1 from the US) say it sape- here https://forvo.com/word/homo_sapiens/#en
This entire thread is people thinking Brits pronounce words in ways they absolutely do not.
It's the British English form even though it's not as commonly used anymore:
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/pronunciation/british/homo-sapiens
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/homo-sapiens
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/pronunciation/english/homo-sapiens

Though it is used in talks like the below:

This all started from someone correcting me for using 'sape' and me looking it up thinking they were mad only to find that it is in fact the BE distinction. Which kind of blew me away as it sounded ridiculous on initial hearing.