• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
When I first heard someone pronounce herb with an H....my mind was blown. But I can't say it. I won't do it.
As a brit I'm the same but the other way round. 'erb just sounds so very wrong to me.

Regardless for such a small country we (the UK) have such a large variety of accents and dialects that pronounciation of words from several different British people in the same room can very pretty distinctly. With the exception of....

Aussies

Vegemite - veg ee might
Marmite - mar might

Brits

Vegemite - veg em it ee
Marmite - marm it ee

This. Literally no one here has ever said that. You've never spoken to or heard a British person speak before this is abundently clear.

None of this is weird to me after I found out that brits typically warm their water for tea in the microwave.

Never seen this once in 35 years here. That is what a kettle is for.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
English: let's borrow a metric ton of Latin vocabulary.
Also English: let's mercilessly butcher said Latin vocabulary.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
In America calling some an herb (with an h or soft h) is an insult. Similar to being boring or a square.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Did they not say the name out loud in ads or did the company just decide that was their pronunciation outside of American English?
I don't recall a lot of ads as I was growing up to be honest, and those I do remember pretty much used "Just Do It" exclusively. I didn't watch a huge amount of TV and I grew up in the 80's so ads for that kind of thing were a lot less pervasive.

None of this is weird to me after I found out that brits typically warm their water for tea in the microwave.
I've never seen this in the UK, but I do recall Americans on GAF talking about doing this.

I have seen a fair few people over the last few years who would warm the milk for their tea in the microwave though. I tried it and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Last edited:

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Not pronunciation but America felt the need to rob marvellous of one of its Ls for some reason.

Add me to the list of Brits that have never heard of anyone heating a brew in the microwave, or would dare admit it tbh lol you know how many kettles we have here right?

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
A couple of name pronunciations I've always found amusing are Craig and Graham.

Craig:
UK - "Craygg"
US - "Cregg"

Graham
UK - "Gray-um"
US - "Gram"

For the longest time I thought "Gram crackers" were a thing in the US.

The US pronunciation of Craig and Graham is very distressing.

Aussies

Vegemite - veg ee might
Marmite - mar might

Brits

Vegemite - veg em it ee
Marmite - marm it ee

You're mistaken.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Graham
UK - "Gray-um"
US - "Gram"

For the longest time I thought "Gram crackers" were a thing in the US.
Came across this with Donnie Darko which used to be my favourite film. "Gram Greene" threw me for ages before I realised they were saying "Graham".

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The letters of the alphabet, vovels in particular. Arguably that's the true American exceptionalism given how the American pronunciation of things is rather unique

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Whats weird about this is when watching American news and some expert or something comes on.
They pronounce the countrys as "ea".....then the anchor/host will still say "Eye".....WHY?!?!
Arent names meant to have specific pronunciations.

Like Jesus the spanish version isnt suddenly pronounced like the english version, we respect the "natural" pronunciations.....shouldt countries get the same respect?

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I can remember being surprised when I heard that most Americans use campfires to heat their water outside for their morning coffee.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Ca-rib-ian UK
Cer-ibian US

I always though they were 2 different places when I was you and I would hear an American pronounce the word.