• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
GwixZWp.png

TsXfJdR.png

Hades is a rogue-like dungeon crawler in which you defy the god of the dead as you hack and slash your way out of the Underworld of Greek myth. We think it combines the best aspects of our previous games, including the fast-paced action of Bastion, the rich atmosphere and depth of Transistor, and the character-driven storytelling of Pyre.

SiVnygm.png

What is Hades?

Hades is a rogue-like dungeon crawler in which you defy the god of the dead as you hack and slash your way out of the Underworld of Greek myth. We think it combines the best aspects of our previous games, including the fast-paced action of Bastion, the rich atmosphere and depth of Transistor, and the character-driven storytelling of Pyre.

It's never the same experience twice: Each time you play, you'll combine the divine might of various Olympian gods with your own in new ways, brave a wide variety of different challenges, and unravel more of the story featuring our award-winning art, audio, and narrative. You may play for not just dozens of hours, but hundreds of hours, while still discovering new character builds and story events.

What has the response to the game been like?

Hades is our fastest-selling, most critically acclaimed game to date. It was named 2020's Game of the Year by more than 50 publications, including IGN, Polygon, TIME Magazine, and The Washington Post.

Where can I get Hades?

Hades is now available on:

· Steam
· Nintendo Switch
·
Epic Games Store
· Xbox
· PlayStation

In addition to these digital versions, look for physical versions for the Switch, Xbox, and PlayStation in retail stores worldwide.

Release History: Hades originally launched in Early Access on the Epic Games Store on December 6, 2018; then on Steam in Early Access on December 10, 2019. Version 1.0 of the game simultaneously launched on these platforms as well as Nintendo Switch on September 17, 2020. Hades then launched on Xbox and PlayStation on August 13, 2021.

What are the computer versions' minimum system requirements?

Hades for PC requires at least Windows 7 SP1, with a Dual Core 2.4 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 1GB VRAM with DirectX 10+ support, and 15 GB disk space.

Hades for Mac requires at least macOS 10.13.6+ on a system that supports Metal API, with a Dual Core 2.4 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD 5000 or better, and 15 GB disk space.

What are the differences between the PS5 & Xbox Series X|S versions vs. PS4 & Xbox One versions of Hades?

The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S versions of Hades feature 4K visuals at a target 60 frames per second, while the PS4 and Xbox One versions are 1080p at a target 60fps. In addition, Hades features enhanced controller vibration and lighting on the PlayStation 5 DualSense controller.

If I purchase Hades on PS4, do I get a free upgrade to PS5?

Yes! Both the physical and digital PlayStation 4 versions of Hades include a free upgrade to the digital PlayStation 5 version.

If I purchase Hades on Xbox One, do I get a free upgrade to the Xbox Series version?

Yes! Hades uses Smart Delivery allowing access to both the Xbox One version and the Xbox Series version on one disc. Additional information on Smart Delivery can be found at xbox.com/smart-delivery.

What languages does the game support?

Hades features English-language text and voiceover, and full text translations in the following languages: French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Korean, Polish, Simplified Chinese, and Japanese.

I love the music in your games. Is the Hades soundtrack available?

Yes! Music has always been a big part of our games, and Hades is no exception! We're eager for you to hear the blood-pumping musical score by our award-winning composer, Darren Korb. The original soundtrack features two and a half hours of music created especially for the game.

The soundtrack is now available on Steam and the Epic Games Store.

You can listen to the music free on our YouTube channel or our Bandcamp page. We offer it on vinyl and compact disc in our online store. You can also find it on Spotify and other music services.

Does Hades support PC cloud saves?

Yes! Hades supports cloud saves on Steam and the Epic Games Store. You may also find local copies of your saves in Documents\Saved Games\Hades.

Does Hades support cross-saves between PC and Nintendo Switch?

Yes! Our Cross-Saves feature lets you transfer your Hades PC save data to and from the Nintendo Switch version. It's easy to use, and you can learn more about it from the Cross-Saves submenu on the Nintendo Switch version of the game.

Note: The Xbox and PlayStation versions of Hades do not support PC cross-saves like the Nintendo Switch version.

I ran into a technical issue with the game. What should I do?

We've done our best to launch Hades in a high-quality, problem-free state. However, you may run into problems we didn't find. If you experienced any problems running the game and need technical support, visit our Knowledge Base, or have a look in #hades-tech-fixes in our official Discord server, which should help get you sorted.

What is a rogue-like (or rogue-lite), anyway...?

The rogue-like is a cousin of the action RPG genre that put us on the map with our best-selling titles, Bastion and Transistor. Rogue-likes are combat-oriented games where you get stronger as you fight, (almost) inevitably dying at some point, then carrying that knowledge forward into your next randomized run. What's so enthralling about them is how they can be completely different from one run to the next!

While Hades is very much an action game, rogue-likes traditionally are turn-based, strategic games -- so, the term 'rogue-lite' is also sometimes used to describe games that take influence from the genre without strictly adhering to the original format. We love the sense of challenge, player expression, and replayability inherent to such games. With Hades, we wanted to create our own take on this style, with a real sense of place and story to it, much like how we infused a sense of narrative purpose into the action RPG with Bastion, way back when. See it in action here:

Some rogue-likes are brutally difficult... is Hades?

Don't worry! Rogue-like games can be known for their steep difficulty, and indeed, Hades can present a considerable challenge. However, one of our foremost design goals on the project was to open up the thrills of rogue-like games to more players. To that end, and knowing that challenge is relative from player to player, the game offers a wide range of difficulty modifiers as well as permanent progression systems... alongside plenty of characters to interact with when you're not trying to battle out of hell. A feature called God Mode is always available to make you more resilient to damage (and a little tougher still each time you die). We also have Hell Mode for the ultimate challenge, and a late-game system called the Pact of Punishment, which makes things really interesting.... Overall, you'll be able to play Hades your way.

Now that Hades has launched, what's next?

We've always wanted to stick together as a small team and keep making games for as long as we can, one big project at a time! We're excited to figure out what's next and to share whatever that is once we think we're far enough along.

Who are you folks, again...?

We're Supergiant Games! We're a small independent studio in San Francisco, founded in 2009 and best known for our critically acclaimed games Bastion, Transistor, Pyre, and now Hades.

All seven of our original staff are still working together here in their respective roles, now bolstered by more than twice as many talented individuals who complete our team. Our ambition has remained the same through the years: to make games that spark your imagination like the games you played as a kid.

I heard Hades was an Early Access game. What is Early Access? Is it over?

Hades did launch as an Early Access game, originally in December 2018. In September 2020, we officially completed our Early Access development and launched v1.0 of the game.

Early Access meant you could play Hades while it was still in active development.

We designed Hades as an Early Access game from the ground up. Our foremost goal was to see if we could create something great in partnership with our community -- a game that was true to our values about design, worldbuilding, and storytelling, and could naturally evolve based on the feedback we'd get along the way. Every aspect of the game, from its modular structure to its approach to narrative, flowed from this idea.

How long was Hades in development?

We got to work on Hades less than a month after our previous game, Pyre, launched on July 25, 2017. Each time we've completed a project, we've found ourselves eager to dive into something new. This time around, we wanted to make something that combined aspects of all the best ideas we'd picked up over the course of working on our three previous games, as well as delve into Early Access development for the first time. All told, Hades took a little over three years for us to get to v1.0.

Your past games have had wholly original settings. Why the change?

Hades is our first game adapted from an existing mythology -- the world of Greek myth. We felt we had a unique perspective on this theme, and saw the adaptation process as a new and exciting creative opportunity to explore. Our take on Greek mythology assumes no prior knowledge of or interest in the subject. Yet, those familiar with Greek myth should find our take on it to be true to the spirit of the source material, from Homer to Hesiod. Greek myth comes from stories of ancient gods and heroes filtered through new points of view; we're excited to share ours.

Your games are known for characters and story. How did that fit with Early Access development?

The opportunity to deliver story in a serial fashion during Early Access was one of the many reasons we were excited to go this route with Hades. In the full game, you can look forward to meeting 30 different fully voiced characters, and experiencing the story through thousands of unique events and interactions.

You can engage with the narrative as much as you like, so if you just want to dive in for a quick hack-and-slash session, Hades has you covered. We're eager for you to experience our unique approach to storytelling in this format, where you'll inhabit a living world with characters you'll really get to know, and who remember you time after time.

Why was Hades initially available only via the Epic Games store?

Hades first launched on December 6, 2018 on the Epic Games Store. We had never launched a game into Early Access before, and our players had come to expect complete, self-contained games from us ever since Bastion's debut in 2011. With Hades, we knew we really wanted to create a game we could develop in partnership with the community, and from talking to the folks at Epic, we realized their store would be the perfect place to conduct our experiment.

Is Hades a multiplayer game, or are there any plans for multiplayer?

Hades is a single-player game. We have no plans to add multiplayer, as we created the gameplay and narrative of Hades with a solo experience in mind.

Does Hades include DRM of any kind?

No. The computer versions of Hades are DRM-free.

I have more questions!

Please feel free to reach out with questions or feedback via our Contact page or Discord.

LbRVSn9.png

glm6Rba.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Volkama

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
My first OT. I will try to update this thread over time. I will be glad to any suggestions and comments. If this thread is not needed or violates any rules, then feel free to close it.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Has Hades really not had an OT for the year it's been out? I'll hopefully get it on Steam soon if it's priced decently. It having already hit like, 8 dollars in a sale may have set my expectations too high for a realistic price when it launches on Steam though. Good OT.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
It's amazing. You should all buy it when it comes out fully. I skipped the last few patches as I am now waiting for the full 1.0

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's out today huh, kinda forgot about it. I'll probably still wait, wanted it on Steam and out of EA. Hopefully the next inject of cash and player feedback will smooth out the road till 1.0.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Really good game, I haven't given it a ton of time, because I'd rather dive back in when it's fully fleshed out, but SuperGiant quality all around.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
I asked this in another thread and got conflicting information, so I'll ask again:

What's the progression like? Is it a Rogue Legacy approach where you become more powerful over multiple runs? Or is it more traditional with unlocks being things that can influence future runs, but aren't straight power upgrades?

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the steam release was going to be the official launch. Looks like it's still Early Access and won't leave EA until 2020.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally an OT. Been playing since like the second update. Good shit.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Bought it during the sale last year when they had the Price Changing Fiasco, might buy it again on Steam just to get one more thing off of EGS.

As for the game itself, last time I played was right around the Minotaur Release. Didn't really like that level specifically (those enemies are annoying) and the 2v1 boss kicked my ass, so I haven't played it again since, but the game is pretty brilliant even disregarding my weak will, haha. Definitely recommend it.

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I asked this in another thread and got conflicting information, so I'll ask again:

What's the progression like? Is it a Rogue Legacy approach where you become more powerful over multiple runs? Or is it more traditional with unlocks being things that can influence future runs, but aren't straight power upgrades?
There's straight before upgrades, like more health, start with more gold, back attacks do more dmg, etc but also unlocks and the 5 weapons have variants with different bonus all of which can be upgraded.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Thanks for the OT! Just went back to the game after not playing for a couple of updates. I like the new Heat system, although it seems to start very slow, but it's something to chase now. It also seems like they rebalanced the bosses as well as some enemies, specifically Theseus and Asterius, which seemed way easier this time around. Elysium in general was much easier, although the Shield-bearers are as annoying as ever.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Bought this when it was still on that crazy discount earlier in the year, but haven't gotten around to playing it. I should fix that.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the Steam version. This is yet another incredible game from Supergiant and it's looking like it'll wind up in my top 5 favorite roguelikelikes/roguelites/whatevers. ..but I kinda want to drop it and wait for the full release.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think the two funniest moments in this game for me were when I finished the game for the first time, before the last boss was in, and Zag and Hades had a conversation about "the ongoing underworld renovations" and when Hypnos asks Zag for an autograph from Asterius, which eventually culminates in this:
SPOILER_unknown.png

I do also love how Zag is bisexual and has a thing for Achilles.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I picked it up yesterday on Steam and instantly got sucked in as a huge fan of roguelikes and Supergiant.

I did like four runs in a row and my best got me up to the Minotaur in Elysium with the spear. It's a ton of fun so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Artemis + Bow with Chiron Aspect + Epic special speed up
LET'S GO
unknown.png

Equipped the Skelly keepsake for the last fight, had to go through all the chambers to find the good but only died once to the boss and none during the dungeon.

Oct 25, 2017
I got to the boss without knowing about a second phase and thought I killed him.

I didn't kill him.
Hahaha :D
I was playing with a friend, who reached the second phase before me but couldn't defeat it, and when I did his immediate reaction was: "so, there's a third one right?".

Probably gonna be added whenever they make an Extreme Measures version of the fight

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to beat it a couple times. This is probably my personal GOTY, even if it technically isn't out yet. I think the game will get even more fun once I get more knowledgeable about synergies and stuff. Just did a rail gun run with piercing and flurry fire, with doom on attack, deflect on dash, extra dash, and merciful end which made the dashes activate doom instantly. I'm sure there are dozens of combos that are unique and awesome like that.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Has Hades really not had an OT for the year it's been out? I'll hopefully get it on Steam soon if it's priced decently. It having already hit like, 8 dollars in a sale may have set my expectations too high for a realistic price when it launches on Steam though. Good OT.

Well, it's still technically not "out," but it's fitting that an OT follows the game and updates itself similarly as Hades makes its way to ver1.0.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished with every weapon and unlocked every aspect, now just to finish the Skelly and Meg sidequests......

This game is consuming me.

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad people are enjoying it. I want that final weapon. Shield still OP

0xBADC0FFEE

Principal Gameplay Programmer @ Splash Damage
Verified
Dec 2, 2017
London
playing this game since it launched on Epic Store, it's great to see it now on steam too, it's probably my favorite Supergiant Games title

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
is it just me or is the acorn keepsake busted, fully leveled up you get 5 free hits from bosses. Maybe they're all just really good once leveled up I haven't experimented much.

Oct 25, 2017
is it just me or is the acorn keepsake busted, fully leveled up you get 5 free hits from bosses. Maybe they're all just really good once leveled up I haven't experimented much.
It's really good, but not more busted than Achilles or Patroclus' keepsakes. Achilles + Aphrodite/Athena/Shield with Zag aspect can make you take very very very little damage from anything which coupled with one Death Defiance makes your victory almost assured. And you can get 4 (3 from the mirror + 1 from Skelly keepsake).

Then there's the fact that Shield makes you virtually untouchable anyway.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Been playing this a bunch over the weekend, getting close to a win. Very good game, probably my favorite from Supergiant yet. I love the character art and dialog, but more than that I really enjoy the way runs are structured with many choices of three from a much larger set of possibilities.

I guess I have a few minor gripes:
  1. Some progression systems seem extremely slow, particularly regarding character dialog. Skelly just told me about armored enemies after my 12th or 13th run, which, like, thanks?
  2. The gem-purchased upgrades are either very expensive or inconsequential so far. The only interesting one so far was unlocking
    Orpheus
    , though he still hasn't actually done anything (see above).
  3. Some enemies feel a bit awkward/unfair with melee weapons. Specifically thinking of shield guys and
    Theseus
    , who I tend to wear down slowly from a distance. Maybe I just don't know the right way to attack them, but even dashing behind them seems unreliable and only gets you at best a few hits.
  4. Some upgrade materials (titan blood, diamonds) seem very limited. Not sure if there's another way to get these later or if you're meant to just trade for them in the lounge.

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative. Hades is great and I'm interested to see what else gets added before it leaves early access. It already feels very much like a complete game.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Been playing this a bunch over the weekend, getting close to a win. Very good game, probably my favorite from Supergiant yet. I love the character art and dialog, but more than that I really enjoy the way runs are structured with many choices of three from a much larger set of possibilities.

I guess I have a few minor gripes:
  1. Some progression systems seem extremely slow, particularly regarding character dialog. Skelly just told me about armored enemies after my 12th or 13th run, which, like, thanks?
  2. The gem-purchased upgrades are either very expensive or inconsequential so far. The only interesting one so far was unlocking
    Orpheus
    , though he still hasn't actually done anything (see above).
  3. Some enemies feel a bit awkward/unfair with melee weapons. Specifically thinking of shield guys and
    Theseus
    , who I tend to wear down slowly from a distance. Maybe I just don't know the right way to attack them, but even dashing behind them seems unreliable and only gets you at best a few hits.
  4. Some upgrade materials (titan blood, diamonds) seem very limited. Not sure if there's another way to get these later or if you're meant to just trade for them in the lounge.

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative. Hades is great and I'm interested to see what else gets added before it leaves early access. It already feels very much like a complete game.
You can get a decent amount of titan blood from
Some of the minor prophecies you can check in your room. You have to unlock those first from the contractor, though.
You can also get like one or two titan blood and diamonds per weapon per heat level from a full run with the pact of punishment on.

Oct 25, 2017
  2. The gem-purchased upgrades are either very expensive or inconsequential so far. The only interesting one so far was unlocking ____ though he still hasn't actually done anything (see above).
  3. Some enemies feel a bit awkward/unfair with melee weapons. Specifically thinking of shield guys and _____ who I tend to wear down slowly from a distance. Maybe I just don't know the right way to attack them, but even dashing behind them seems unreliable and only gets you at best a few hits.
1. Agreed with Skelly, one hint per run is not enough nor helpful. Guess it's good for people who don't play a lot of games?
2. The gems (and diamonds) I think are mostly filler while the game is not finished, though there are some very important upgrades with them (bigger chests, fountains) and at least one similar unlock to the one you mentioned. Also, the very very very important list of prophecies.
3. Sword is probably the most risky weapon, while the other melees have a very efficient ranged special to deal with that. Not only that, but you can improvise with the knockback from the last sword hit to throw those enemies onto traps or just use the dash attack (you can dash through them and very quickly turn attacking)
4. You are gonna find another use for the blood very soon, and both can be farmed after you defeat the final boss through a new mechanic the game will unlock.

also heeey the quote tag destroyed your spoiler tags for some reason so I just used some underlines

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Never had much issue with the Shield-bearers, as their attack is slow and dashing behind them after their attack is usually enough to deal half their life. Only enemy I have trouble with are the spearmen, as their attack is very quick and deceptively long.

Oct 25, 2017
Every enemy in Elysium can be a pain the ass. Shield for the blocking and small window of opportunity while having a decent sized AoE projectile, spear for the LONG range, Sword for the speed of the projectiles, the souls for the respawn, the butterflies because butterflies, flamewheels and chariots for the speed + potential for slowly peck away your HP between rooms. Spreaders aren't that dangerous because of the small HP pool but have amazing synergy with the other foes.

The magic is finding what in your arsenal can deal with them. Dash boons, cast spam, bull rush, dash attacks, deflects, AoEs of your own to clear projectiles, etc

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
unknown.png

My best time so far. 4 dashes + Double Attack on Dash + Zeus/Poseidon Duo. Really fun and extremely high DPS.