• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I really want to buy this (and Disco Elysium for that matter) but I'm afraid I'll treat it like I have so many others of late...like a demo that I play 15 minutes and then shelve it and go back to likes of Destiny.

Do you start completely fresh each time or is there a progression-type system that allows you to keep gear, etc after each death?

On my first day after purchase I played for about 6h non stop.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Been having a ton of fun with this for the last couple of days. What have people found are the best Pact of Punishment mods to go for? I'm only on 2 Heat atm and have mostly done +foes and +hp.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I usually go for more enemy health and higher prices (I don't buy much anyways). The first rank of extreme measures is also not so bad, though I find the second rank usually causes more damage than it's worth. The first time limit one is also pretty much free heat unless you're really taking your time.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Hades is the best roguelike ive ever played, I always feel like im actually progressing and doesnt play with my time.

Sooo I really LOVED Transistor and liked both Bastion and Pyre. Should I give this one a try? The whole Early Access stuff puts me off — is there even a concrete story and well-written characters? Also, how's the soundtrack in this one?
The story and characters are probably one of the best things of the game, and the gameplay part is also quality stuff.
It really doesnt feel anything like early acces, and I played it some months ago before all the new updates happened.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been having a ton of fun with this for the last couple of days. What have people found are the best Pact of Punishment mods to go for? I'm only on 2 Heat atm and have mostly done +foes and +hp.
Traps doing more damage and health items giving less are the two easiest imo

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Got up to the final boss for the third time (first two times with the spear, this time doing Shield using
Zues aspect, lvl. 6 poison on attack, doom on special, and a bunch of passives
And got it down to <10% hp before I misread an attack and got wrecked lol

The meta progression on this game and the upgrades you can get really keep it going for me! Tip: invest in the gems early, they may seem useless at first, but they make a major difference in getting materials quickly. Plus, it's always nice to do a little redecorating!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't put it down for like 6 hours today. So good. But seriously, fuck that last boss fight. It's annoying when they have to put some super hardcore shit right at the end of a game. No reason for that. Let normal players "beat" the game and make a true ending for the hardcore or something like that. No reason for that shitty second form I can't beat ... and I can't even practise it properly. Well it will at least be great when I can beat him someday after some more grinding. Still a few upgrades left that will help me.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Loved Transistor and was originally interested in this game, but I really cant stand the main character to the point of not wanting to play anymore. Surely I cant be the only one feeling this way.
He just comes off as an overconfident asshole always wanting to have the last word and always sounding uninterested, like he's better than whatever he's doing. Kinda arrogant too.
Im aware this has some similarities with MCs from other games, like Dante from DMC, but I think I can deal with them because half the time they are actually funny and the visual design doesnt come off as asshole gymbro the way zagreus does.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I overreacted a bit yesterday. Got the final Boss in my first attempt today and then again with another weapon (bow). I first thought the bow is a bit boring to play but then I got Double Lightning Damage and bigger barrage on it and it dealt so much damage in close range :D

The final boss is still a bit so-so. I did a third run and my build wasn't really heavy on damage (shit RNG) and then the fight gets like really hard. You kinda have to focus on damage to bring him down, way more than with the other bosses. At least that's my feeling. Maybe I should go away from poison and concentrate more on raw damage.

Still, a lot of weapons to try and upgrading the underworld and your character is fun and addicting.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Loved Transistor and was originally interested in this game, but I really cant stand the main character to the point of not wanting to play anymore. Surely I cant be the only one feeling this way.
He just comes off as an overconfident asshole always wanting to have the last word and always sounding uninterested, like he's better than whatever he's doing. Kinda arrogant too.
Im aware this has some similarities with MCs from other games, like Dante from DMC, but I think I can deal with them because half the time they are actually funny and the visual design doesnt come off as asshole gymbro the way zagreus does.
I like Zag. Though I do not remember much now from the first conversations, I never felt he was the arrogant type, just someone who is angry at his current predicament. He is very friendly to some of the characters he finds, and tries his best to help the people he knows. I love his conversations with Achilles, Sisyphus, and Patroclus. The only time he gets arrogant is when he is confronting his father, I feel. Of course, I'm also biased, as he is a bisexual character.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
I like Zag. Though I do not remember much now from the first conversations, I never felt he was the arrogant type, just someone who is angry at his current predicament. He is very friendly to some of the characters he finds, and tries his best to help the people he knows. I love his conversations with Achilles, Sisyphus, and Patroclus. The only time he gets arrogant is when he is confronting his father, I feel. Of course, I'm also biased, as he is a bisexual character.
I mean Im bi too but still, theres something i dislike about the character...maybe its just the tone of his voice, cant really say what it is.
Im glad you are enjoying the game tho! This is just something i strongly felt and needed to let it out.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Im bi too but still, theres something i dislike about the character...maybe its just the tone of his voice, cant really say what it is.
Im glad you are enjoying the game tho! This is just something i strongly felt and needed to let it out.

I definitely felt that way at first, he's quite cocksure and confident of his own abilities. I think the casual nature of the conversations with characters around the House makes it feel like there's a lot of unexplored history and why he's so pal-y with Meg and Than. I liked him a lot more the deeper you explore the relationships and he's quite deferential to the Olympian gods.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Man the final boss frustrated me a lot today. Also the structure of the last world can fuck you hard. When you find the dog food in the first or second room you can either miss out on valuable upgrades or risk to lose a lot of life before the final fight. It would be better if it was structured like the other worlds tbh. Or at least give me one guaranteed fast food item in the shop that I can spare for last. Or make the healing well not in the same room like the dog food but right before the final boss.

Getting a Tartarus shop <3 fights before the final fight can also make a HUGE difference with life-drops from enemies and/or +30% damage. Feels just a bit too RNG-y.

But still, an amazing game and it's early access so we will probably see more improvements and balancing over the next months. It's really addicting and the core gameplay is probably the best topdown-action I've ever played.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
My win streak finally came to an end :( Was on riding high on a 9 win streak after my first win and I was slowly going through all the weapons and increasing the heat level up, but couldn't find any win conditions for my Spear on the 10th run. I'm really liking Middle Management as a starting +2 heat. It isn't that much harder in the grand scheme of things and if you have a solid build 1 extra elite mini-boss isn't that big of a deal.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually LOVE this game. Bought it once it came out on Steam and have clocked 40 hours into it over the winter holiday, which is pretty great for me. Organically I've gotten to, but haven't beaten the final boss yet. It's amazingly fun, great art and great music and an intriguing story. Supergiant Games stays winning...

Speaking of which, which build are you finding yourself having the most fun with? So far I've gotten the furthest with the 2nd tier sword (can't remember it's name) and tons of Zeus upgrades...

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I actually LOVE this game. Bought it once it came out on Steam and have clocked 40 hours into it over the winter holiday, which is pretty great for me. Organically I've gotten to, but haven't beaten the final boss yet. It's amazingly fun, great art and great music and an intriguing story. Supergiant Games stays winning...

Speaking of which, which build are you finding yourself having the most fun with? So far I've gotten the furthest with the 2nd tier sword (can't remember it's name) and tons of Zeus upgrades...

Had an amazing time with Zeus Aspect on the shield. Grab a Zeus boon on the Special and you've already got your win condition. You can pump out so much damage with that you can rely on that while building up another pillar. I've had success with Poseidon slams, Aphrodite's bonkers damage and Artemis' crits with the Bull Rush power shot. Honestly I really like all the weapons, once you unlock the aspects they give such a good definition to a specific playstyle that you can immediately start formulating some good damage from the start.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This along with Risk of Rain 2 are already tied for my 2020 GOTY's. No joke.

What a fantastic game this is. And it's not even done yet!

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
17 hours in and I've only been able to beat Hades 3 times. Has anyone been able to go on a streak even?

Love the game btw but it's rockhard sometimes! You just can't keep dodging Hades' attacks indefinitely so you're bound to take damage at some point, which sucks if you font have enough damage dealing boons; the fight can take forever.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I've done 6 runs of this so far, killed Meg twice (on run 5/6 respectively). Doing OK, made it to the second boss on run 6. Just unlocked the spear and giving that a test run. 2 difficulties I'm having:

1. Getting "locked in" and not being able to dodge cancel out of the sword thrust is fucking me up big time, frequently. It's nice the input buffers but it can feel like an age at times. Is this just something you have to mitigate? Sometimes I wish I could just not have the thrust attack trigger.

2. I really struggle with visibility when fighting any enemy of the bomb thrower archetype. I know they drop them on death but at other times there's often bombs about that I've not even spotted. Between this issue and the other that feels like up to 75% of my damage taken so far.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've done 6 runs of this so far, killed Meg twice (on run 5/6 respectively). Doing OK, made it to the second boss on run 6. Just unlocked the spear and giving that a test run. 2 difficulties I'm having:

1. Getting "locked in" and not being able to dodge cancel out of the sword thrust is fucking me up big time, frequently. It's nice the input buffers but it can feel like an age at times. Is this just something you have to mitigate? Sometimes I wish I could just not have the thrust attack trigger.

2. I really struggle with visibility when fighting any enemy of the bomb thrower archetype. I know they drop them on death but at other times there's often bombs about that I've not even spotted. Between this issue and the other that feels like up to 75% of my damage taken so far.
The shield is the only weapon to go with at the moment. It boasts so much variety in terms of attacks (long range, close range, being able to block incoming attacks) that it´s hard to recommend any other weapon right now unless you really want to unlock their respective Aspect upgrades or whatever.

Go with the Shield of Aegis and watch as you destroy everything around you.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
17 hours in and I've only been able to beat Hades 3 times. Has anyone been able to go on a streak even?

Love the game btw but it's rockhard sometimes! You just can't keep dodging Hades' attacks indefinitely so you're bound to take damage at some point, which sucks if you font have enough damage dealing boons; the fight can take forever.

Had a 9 streak run that started after the first time I beat Hades. Since then it's been intermittent but I've probably only lost 3 or 4 times. About 30+ attempts so far. I purposely went back through each weapon (or whatever the 20% darkness buff landed on) and went through Heat 0 before climbing so I could harvest as much titan blood as possible. Levelling up the aspects on certain ones gives a huge DPS increase from the getgo.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Had a 9 streak run that started after the first time I beat Hades. Since then it's been intermittent but I've probably only lost 3 or 4 times. About 30+ attempts so far. I purposely went back through each weapon (or whatever the 20% darkness buff landed on) and went through Heat 0 before climbing so I could harvest as much titan blood as possible. Levelling up the aspects on certain ones gives a huge DPS increase from the getgo.
You can only get Titan Blood after killing Hades correct?

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on a streak of 3 now! Hoping I can keep at it while also increasing my heat level. Currently on level 4 I believe. I haven't actually chosen any of the time penalties though as I just get rekt by those. I've opted for the extra blue shields for enemies instead and more and faster enemies as well.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017
I picked this up in the Epic Launcher Winter Sale, and I've put 5h hours in, this is great!

There's a lot more narrative than I was expecting from a roguelike which is good because I love Bastion and Transistor. My 8 first runs were bad but I finally got the hang of it with the bow and the shield. I got up to Elysium and I got killed by a room where lots of exalted spawned and realized the traps were really effective at killing them.

I think I can get better at this game than I did in Dead Cells or Isaac.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked this up in the Epic Launcher Winter Sale, and I've put 5h hours in, this is great!

There's a lot more narrative than I was expecting from a roguelike which is good because I love Bastion and Transistor. My 8 first runs were bad but I finally got the hang of it with the bow and the shield. I got up to Elysium and I got killed by a room where lots of exalted spawned and realized the traps were really effective at killing them.

If you already got up to Elysium then you're gonna do fine. You'll be unlocking tons of abilities and boosts making things easier as you play while also getting better at playing. I think for the first 15 runs I couldn't get past the Hydra but now it's easy.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Picked up the game today, able to make it to Elysium but that is as far as I can get. Haven't even made it to the boss of there yet. Great game though and very fun to play.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

This is pretty much my impression as well. I think I'm about 8 hours played now.

I also find this game a lot more relaxing to play than most roguelikes for some reason. The penalty for dying isn't that punishing because I enjoy the first biome, and the ability rewards are useful and noticeable.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for Elysium boss fight?

I always focus down the minotaur first, just keeping an eye on the aim icon over me whenever the guy is about to throw the spear so I can dodge out of the way. Once the Minotaur is gone, its easier to just deal with the guy. Let him throw the spear, dodge it and start attacking as he turns around to walk away (he always turns to walk away after throwing a spear, so you can hit him in the back). When he gets down to half health, its just more dodging as you need to also be aware of all the ground attacks from the gods.

Tips for Mino: he usually does two swipes and then jump attack, so just be behind him for the swipes and then dodge the jump and start attacking. When he starts to do the running charge, I like to just stand at the wall and dodge at the last second so he charges into the wall.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Asterion (the minotaur) deals way more damage than Theseus in the first phase, so pretty much focusing him down ASAP has always worked best for me. If you're really conscious of surroundings, you can keep a pillar between you and Theseus and be completely protected from his attacks. You should definitely be careful not to hit Theseus' second phase while Asterion is still alive - his damage goes way up and everything becomes way more chaotic. You can fight Asterion earlier as a solo miniboss is Elysium, so that's a good place to practice and learn his patterns. For Theseus, the best strategy I've found is to play a bit defensively and counterattack - whenever he attacks, throws his spear, casts, or starts walking, you can hit him freely.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As other people said, make sure to kill the bull before getting to Theseus' second phase.
Another thing I've found helpful is saving a full charge of a high burst damage call like Artemis or Aphrodite.
When Theseus switches to his second phase, just as he loses his invincibility, he's open to damage for a few seconds.
As long as you have a full call and decent damage, you can usually take out most of his remaining health then.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Okay so Weakness mixed with any other 2nd curse to add that damage buff is insanely strong. Especially if you get the sword dash thrust 300% more damage and armor breaker. You just melt through the bosses and their damage is nerfed.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Finally started playing this after having got it way back at the start; I guess it must've been on sale or something.

I always forget between games how insane Supergiant's artists are. It's just a shockingly attractive game, I wanna be mashing the screenshot button at all times. The character portraits in particular are just so good. The music and VO are equally excellent, I look forward to every new scene and conversation.

I'm not usually a roguelike guy, but I'm finding each run surprisingly easy to recover from. "One more run" feels more doable here than it does in other games in the genre, for me. Combat is fast and smooth, and I love how many different upgrade options there are. Each run really does feel quite different to the last.

Not sure how long it'll be before I start getting weary of the repetition, but I'll be all too happy to enable the "God Mode" and burn through the story if it happens.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
What are your guys' weapon aspect tier rankings? I ended up prioritizing the Cast-focused ones which have made the last few runs a bit bland. They don't all do the same thing but Poseidon, Hera and Achilles all benefit on having a good cast. I finally finished the Pact prophecy so I splurged out and have starting levelling up the Chaos aspect. Zeus aspect is very fun but it's a bit hectic and required a lot of focus to control the Blitz Disc.

I might also stop going round each heat level and just see how far I can go with the Shield before I hit a wall. I still need to level up my keepsakes but that's the tedious bit i've been putting off, along with getting more Fated Authority rolls.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Currently on a streak of 6 while even trying out different weapons and heat levels. Have also unlocked the mirror skills except for the final one that requires 36 keys but should be able to get that soon enough.

Am loving this game. There's so much meta-progression and I have basically played 30 hours of the game so far with nothing but the shield, really. That's a lot of bang for your buck.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
any new infos on a potential console release? hopefully in 2020?

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
What are your guys' weapon aspect tier rankings? I ended up prioritizing the Cast-focused ones which have made the last few runs a bit bland. They don't all do the same thing but Poseidon, Hera and Achilles all benefit on having a good cast. I finally finished the Pact prophecy so I splurged out and have starting levelling up the Chaos aspect. Zeus aspect is very fun but it's a bit hectic and required a lot of focus to control the Blitz Disc.

I might also stop going round each heat level and just see how far I can go with the Shield before I hit a wall. I still need to level up my keepsakes but that's the tedious bit i've been putting off, along with getting more Fated Authority rolls.

The sword where I mix weakness and zeus dash bonus where enemies get jolted with the upgrade thrust and armor attack breaker sword upgrades just melt enemies. You dash and since your dash attack is a thrust you are almost always doing 300% damage, you get the mirror buff from evoking duel curses for extra damage
Mix it with Hermes extra dashes and attack speed and you are just killing everything.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
The sword where I mix weakness and zeus dash bonus where enemies get jolted with the upgrade thrust and armor attack breaker sword upgrades just melt enemies. You dash and since your dash attack is a thrust you are almost always doing 300% damage, you get the mirror buff from evoking duel curses for extra damage
Mix it with Hermes extra dashes and attack speed and you are just killing everything.

I thought Thrust was only on the 3rd attack for the combo? Isn't Dash Attack listed as something separately?

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I thought so too but it seems to add the damage multiplier to it currently. Could be a bug but after I saw how fast enemy life melted I just kept up with it.

That's dope. I always thought the nemesis aspect was for World Splitter builds and really didn't like that Thrust upgrade the one time i picked it, might try it again now!

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Finally managed to beat Hades for the first time. Leveling up my revives definitely saved my ass. I might have beaten him one run earlier but Cerberus' food was in the very last room I checked and that cost me a little too much health...

The spear is without a doubt my favorite weapon. Not sure I even want to try anything besides that.
Can't wait for more content to drop!

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
A new Olympian will be added next week, if anyone missed the news:
82241716_10157946030782560_622856938949967872_o.jpg

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Currently on a 10 clear streak so I decided to give Hell mode a try.

...I think I'll go back to my normal save lol.