• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
The original blog post has been edited, but all the news stories at the time confirmed it was intended to stay exclusive for the entirety of Early Access and that was meant to be 18 months.

Ah, here we go, from Kotaku:
Hades, the stylish new roguelite from Pyre developer Supergiant, was one of the Epic store's flagship launch games last week. It will be exclusive to Epic's store until Early Access is complete, for "at least a year and a half," the game's creative director Greg Kasavin told Kotaku. Hades will likely come to Steam after that, he said.​

Yep.
Cause that's when they expected the Early Access to finish, plans clearly changed.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if my suspicions are correct, I would imagine they're releasing on Steam in Early Access because people weren't buying it on EGS. A game that launches in 1.0 on EGS doesn't need players as much as it would without a moneyhat unless it's primarily multiplayer, but Early Access games? The entire point of Early Access is to get feedback from players, and if there aren't enough people playing your game, you're not gonna get enough feedback.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I think since it was (and is) early access it's slightly different because the game will still be getting significant updates. The real test will be some "normal" (non rogue like) singleplayer game that is basically finished, something like Rogue Galaxy.
I expect this whole mess to result in bigger winners and bigger losers.

Awesome games that have a year to build hype and FOMO will effectively get two "launches", a whole lot of publicity, plus the Epic moneyhat.

Mediocre or underwhelming games will have a whole year of people going "meh" and bad press, and be left with just the moneyhat and anaemic sales.

I mean, of course. There is no reason to hold out longer?
What about Epic's fabulous developer friendly policies like having no user reviews, no forums, and of course their lower cut?

Surely all of those reasons given for developers choosing the EGS meant something?

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Loved Bastion and Transistor ... but ... hmmm, I don't wanna reward the EGS movie either.

In defense of the devs, they didn't break any promises like others - it was never "promised" to be on Steam, pre-orders, etc. So, any animosity I feel is just "why didn't you just go EA on Steam?" - and the answer is money.

So, I've made up my mind. I'll buy when its deep discounted at 75% off or more.
Keep in mind SuperGiant pretty small indie devs. And their last project bombed. They needed money. I mean it's one thing when someone big like Ubi take a deal but when it's some small indie dev idk.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I quite liked my time with Bastion, but I'm not a huge fan of roguelites.

I'm sure I will add it to my GOG collection at some point (just like I picked up Pyre today), but the first EGS exclusive I'm actually interested in will be Ashen.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Game is already in a pretty good state. Each patch has targeted a salient weakness in the design. It's a very impressive early access period. Highly recommend.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's like 12 people watching this game in total on Twitch right now. Damn.

I feel like this game is going to blow up once it hits Steam. Can't wait to dive in myself!

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Because this thread made me aware that the devs put their Steam page up... 3 months before release...

I'm sure they will use it to advertise the game a lot until release while also being glad about finally having a forum where people can post feedback
You know you can put it on ignore list and doesn't "brag" about it on forum right?

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
You know you can put it on ignore list and doesn't "brag" about it on forum right?

I know. Just like people don't have to "brag" about how they put it on their wishlist or whatever else they posted in this thread

Why are people even replying to anything? Just read the OP and then don't post anything

edit: I also like how the dev already advertises the Hades release on every other Steam game page they have... scummy af

I'm not posting in the thread anymore so don't reply to this. Way too easy to get banned for posting in EGS threads

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit funny to see them ask for, almost beg, for people to wishlist the game now.
I might very well pick up the game later, on Steam or GOG, but I'm not really in the mood of helping them with their marketing through wishlisting.

The game looks good though. I liked Bastion, but wasn't a fan of Transistor, and skipped Pyre. This looks much more as a game for me though, and you know that the look and feel of the game will be excellent.

And whatever they said about releasing the game on other stores only after Early Access, it doesn't really matter. Anything else but releasing it on other Stores when they can, would have been a strange decision. I just assume that they thought of EA being a shorter period for this game. I see nothing strange about that.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
I know. Just like people don't have to "brag" about how they put it on their wishlist or whatever else they posted in this thread

Why are people even replying to anything? Just read the OP and then don't post anything
These people shows that they are interested in the game and are waiting for the release. While you acting like a child.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Neat', guess they bumped back the 1.0 date and the EGS deal will be over by then.
Bought it at EGS with credit I got from the UE4 sub days, will def' pay for it when it drops on steam.
And WOZERS, 10 year anniversary already?

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if my suspicions are correct, I would imagine they're releasing on Steam in Early Access because people weren't buying it on EGS. A game that launches in 1.0 on EGS doesn't need players as much as it would without a moneyhat unless it's primarily multiplayer, but Early Access games? The entire point of Early Access is to get feedback from players, and if there aren't enough people playing your game, you're not gonna get enough feedback.

this makes sense to me, tho I'd like to hear it from them to confirm. it may not even be that ppl weren't buying, but that steam just holds so much of the pc userbase and that's all valuable data they are missing out on

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Torn between buying this version or waiting to see if they port it to Switch. It's the type of game I'd rather play on Switch, but the character is so small on the screen that it might make more sense to not do that. Plus Switch ports for Supergiant games aren't a given.
Where is Pyre? :(

I'm in the same boat, this seems like it would be perfect (well more perfect than the usual) for the Switch. I'm going to wait until 1.0 regardless but hopefully by that time they will be able to announce some console ports.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
so full game release fall 2020? is the game playable from start to end? if so, how come its going to take them one more year?

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
As much as i liked Transistor, its hard for me to support anything that comes from the egs. Nevertheless, I will probably look into it after it leaves ea.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hades coming to steam earlier doesn't change anything personally. The original plan was to wait for 1.0 and it hasn't changed yet. Maybe releasing on Steam and other platforms will accelerate the process, but that's about it.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
It honestly feels like a full game with the latest update. Have they said what they will be adding to the game until it comes out of EA?

Last weapon, complete story, some more NPCs, at least one more God.

Considering the pace they have been able to work so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they went overboard and gave even more, but I think that's what is in their current road map.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The problem with putting out your game exclusively on a poor quality platform for the launch window is that tons of other games come out in the meantime. Not sure if I'll buy this. Maybe on sale.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Non PC gamers underestimate how useful the steam community is when trying to play an old game on a new machine.

Not just for old games. Also for new games. I was just playing Plague Tale: Innocence and had a buck in chapter 6. Typed my issue into google, first result was about my exact issue, someone from Focus posted the solution and I was able to continue playing. Going to an official Discord server hoping someone can answer me quickly is just more work for me or the person responsible for tech support writing the same answer multiple times.

The Steam forums are a toxic place for discussion but one of the greatest places for tech support. The only place that would be able to fill this need would be Reddit but not everyone has a reddit account and some games don't even have a reddit community.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Steam forums are a toxic place for discussion but one of the greatest places for tech support. The only place that would be able to fill this need would be Reddit but not everyone has a reddit account and some games don't even have a reddit community.
Some are but some of the Steam forums are great for discussion as well, it just varies on the game.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019

Considering the pace they have been able to work so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they went overboard and gave even more, but I think that's what is in their current road map.

Wow! Weird. They mentioned releasing 1.0 in the second half of 2020 in the steam post, so I assumed they had a lot of planned stuff left for the game. So I wonder if they are going to add a lot more stuff to their road map or if they are just going to spend a lot of time polishing and refining the game.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I didnt like what they did on the EGS deal, raising the price cuz epic was giving us a discount.
Ill wait for when its as low as it can be

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

Thank you! Surprisingly enough, I can't wait for more lore. Supergiant Games is one of the few devs capable of making me care about the characters, and I just love the relationship between Zagreus and his mentor Achilles (as well as Achilles overall story).

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's the only game I own on EGS and it's been a while since I played it, but I'll probably buy it again on Steam since I like Supergiant a lot.

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you! Surprisingly enough, I can't wait for more lore. Supergiant Games is one of the few devs capable of making me care about the characters, and I just love the relationship between Zagreus and his mentor Achilles (as well as Achilles overall story).
Voice acting alone makes the history a joy to play

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Voice acting alone makes the history a joy to play
Oh, definitely! They managed to give each god their own personality based on their mythological source, and the voice acting nails it. The little quips between Zagreus and the bosses are always a treat to hear, as well.

It also reminds me the time I finished the game for the first time, when the last zone was not out yet.
How they basically broke the fourth wall and Hades made a comment about things still being under construction so Zagreus couldn't leave either way, and the narrator was forced to kill him every time.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Cool, I'll have to check out where this game is at, development wise. Haven't really been following it since this year has been so packed.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Love Bastion, and Transistor is one of my favorite games of all time (not a fan of Pyre), but after the Epic Summer Sale fiasco, when Supergiant raised the price of Hades without notice, only to "escape" from the deal subsidized by Epic, I'm not supporting those devs anymore.

They later reverted that decision, but only after the (very justifiable) backlash. Steam doesn't even allow that to happen.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so buying this. Love me some Supergiant and was super disappointed by the EGS exclusivity.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Devs will have a rough time. At least, it looks like so on their Steam forum, which was opened a few hours ago.

Gu6fhOf.png

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Valve and Epic are okay with that.
Epic only paid for the year I think, they were just originally going to keep in there longer. Valve isnt going to mind the game dropping on their service sooner even if it is because the dev went back on their original claim.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, it comes with a full 10th anniversy steam page and sale. Whole collection for cheap. That's kinda funny all things considered.

But man, time sure flies.