• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Don't usually buy EA games buuuut depending on the price might bite because Pyre was that amazing and I can't wait to see their take on storytelling through a roguelike structure instead of a linear game.

And shame on everybody who didn't appreciate Pyre.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't usually buy EA games buuuut depending on the price might bite because Pyre was that amazing and I can't wait to see their take on storytelling through a roguelike structure instead of a linear game.

And shame on everybody who didn't appreciate Pyre.
It's pretty meaty at the moment, I enjoy they'll be two more updates by then so a good amount of content for EA

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I think the best way to send a message is for Steam sales to blow Epic's sales out of the water.
If everyone waits for a deep discount, it's not going to send the right message.

Eh customers can't win in situations like these. If sales are better than Epic ones devs will take Epic money knowing that they will sell tons of copies whenever they come back to Steam. If sales are bad on Steam devs will again go for Epic money and delay.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Damnit. Wish I waited and picked it up on Steam...can't say I really want to reward the 1 year exclusivity by double dipping - especially if it's at full price.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly interested in this but will probably wait for release proper. Mid 2020 seems really far though.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's a really good game, y'all. Unlike some roguelikes, you don't need to grind a bunch before you can win. I won on my 7th run, and I've won multiple in a row since.

It's a very fun and beautiful game. I can't think of much I'd change, other than it being too short (early access).

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Love Bastion, and Transistor is one of my favorite games of all time (not a fan of Pyre), but after the Epic Summer Sale fiasco, when Supergiant raised the price of Hades without notice, only to "escape" from the deal subsidized by Epic, I'm not supporting those devs anymore.

They later reverted that decision, but only after the (very justifiable) backlash. Steam doesn't even allow that to happen.

Steam also doesn't put games on sale without prior approval from the publisher/developer. Supergiant shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place. If they want a set price for the game in early access to not devalue it, or to ensure that everybody who buys in gets the same price, they should have that option.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Eh customers can't win in situations like these. If sales are better than Epic ones devs will take Epic money knowing that they will sell tons of copies whenever they come back to Steam. If sales are bad on Steam devs will again go for Epic money and delay.

Yup it's a lose-lose situation for consumers who want to make a statement, really.

In the end, just gotta choose what launcher you want to play it on.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it is if people don't buy the game on Steam, Epic will chalk up the poor sales on its store to the game being unappealing.

If the game sells bad on EGS and well on Steam, then Epic has spaffed that cash up against the wall, because clearly the exclusive wasn't enough to get people using their store.

I'm not gonna give people stick for buying the game. Hades looks great and I hope it sells well on Steam.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I was probably going to get it on EGS anyway, but not while it's in Early Access. I'll wait on the Steam version too until it comes out of EA.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'll buy this when it's $4.99 or less. See devs, you could of gotten all my money if you didn't go the route you did!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind SuperGiant pretty small indie devs. And their last project bombed. They needed money. I mean it's one thing when someone big like Ubi take a deal but when it's some small indie dev idk.

For a lot of the small devs its a deal too good to refuse (as in it could literally be irresponsible for them to turn it down). Surely.

On the other hand they got it made now so I'll support someone else.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I think the best way to send a message is for Steam sales to blow Epic's sales out of the water.
If everyone waits for a deep discount, it's not going to send the right message.
There is no right strategy, some could take away the notion that there are no consequences to doing this.

Steam also doesn't put games on sale without prior approval from the publisher/developer. Supergiant shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place. If they want a set price for the game in early access to not devalue it, or to ensure that everybody who buys in gets the same price, they should have that option.

Steam has the advantage of a actually having a proper structure for online commerce. They went to a half baked store run by yahoos, they chose to be in that position.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019

It didn't affect the developers at all, as Epic ate the costs of all sales, like I mentioned.

I don't mean to start the argument about the perceived value of games again, as it's been discussed to exhaustion at the time of the controversy, but Steam has done basically the same thing in their past Lunar and Summer sales, by offering fixed discounts in the form of credit.

If Epic had done the same thing (offering credit instead of "cutting prices" of all games up to a specific amount), no developer would've complained or tried to bypass the sale by artificially raising prices or, in some cases, removing their games from the store entirely.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm curious if there's a clause in their contract with EGS to not discuss sales data in comparison to other storefronts. I'd bet money on it.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest this was a super easy exclusive to wait out the clock on, given that the game wasn't even complete yet anyway.

I'm curious if there's a clause in their contract with EGS to not discuss sales data in comparison to other storefronts. I'd bet money on it.

I think pretty much every store has rules around giving out sales numbers. Also IMO it's pretty much a given everything sells orders of magnitude worse on the Epic store, but the money they put up in front probably covers that and you can still get most of the sales on Steam later anyway, even if there's a bunch of shitposters on your Steam forum.

Last edited:

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I think it'll probably help that they weren't dicks about the whole thing putting a bunch of effort into trashing consumers and running pr for epic like some companies

that matters to me anyways,it's the difference between me probably buying this at some point and boycotting them forever

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
What's another completely exclusive to EGS game? I mean, as in it's only on PC and only sold through EGS?
I was gonna say Anno, but that has a UPlay option.
Off the top of my head, I think one of the 5 or 6 F2P co-op games currently in Early Access on EGS is a PC only title, but they all kinda blur together for me now.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't affect the developers at all, as Epic ate the costs of all sales, like I mentioned.

I don't mean to start the argument about the perceived value of games again, as it's been discussed to exhaustion at the time of the controversy, but Steam has done basically the same thing in their past Lunar and Summer sales, by offering fixed discounts in the form of credit.

If Epic had done the same thing (offering credit instead of "cutting prices" of all games up to a specific amount), no developer would've complained or tried to bypass the sale by artificially raising prices or, in some cases, removing their games from the store entirely.

Steam only changed the price at checkout.

They did not list every game as 5 dollars cheaper.

Mayhap that is why developers didn't hastily go out to either remove themselves from a sale or change their prices.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly curious as to how 'well' things will go for Hades, here.

Between Pyre not lighting the world on fire, and traditionally, 'second-place' releases/ports not doing nearly as well (not to mention negative thoughts/mentality around going to EGS in the first place)....

While I'm sure the Epic cash kept the lights on, it doesn't seem to have done the dev a whole lot of good, otherwise.

It could have a grand renaissance...but those seem pretty rare, nowadays.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strange how it starting on a different storefront changes the opinion on early access. No one is clamoring for games coming out of EA on Steam to be discounted on release.
your going to see that all the time for any egs exclusive game since they decided to take the deal so there is no incentive to get it until there's a discount plus early access games get discounted all the time.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
your going to see that all the time for any egs exclusive game since they decided to take the deal so there is no incentive to get it until there's a discount plus early access games get discounted all the time.

Not sure how that works but okay. So any game that finds a publisher that helps fund the game's development should automatically be held off of until it goes on discount because they got money ahead of time?