• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will wait till it's 50% off as I'm not paying full price for a year old title. Will be doing exactly the same for all titles like this.

It's not a year old title.

Games rarely change price that much during EA. This game hasn't even hit 1.0 yet. I would agree with taking this stance on something like Metro, but this is not the time for it.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's steam forums you cant expect much lol. I think in general tho most ppl dont look at the forums so hopefully theres a bunch of ppl who wont be immediately turned off by the brigading, the game is actually v good

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

One of the replies shares my view. If everyone boycotts Hades, the developer's going to see that the game didn't perform well on Steam. Then the next release will prioritize EGS. Not saying that won't happen anyways if Epic waves money around, but Steam users shouldn't deliberately ignore Hades.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
One of the replies shares my view. If everyone boycotts Hades, the developer's going to see that the game didn't perform well on Steam. Then the next release will prioritize EGS. Not saying that won't happen anyways if Epic waves money around, but Steam users shouldn't deliberately ignore Hades.
It's a rogue like so it's already low on my priorities.

Though funnily enough had it launched on steam I might have bought automatically, as I have done for all their games.

closer

Oct 25, 2017

Spite is a hell of a drug lol i think most cant help themselves. But yeah i agree, skewing the metrics to favor egs doesn't help ppl who dont want supergiant to take epic deals. But i mean, also i dont think there is much thought put into this besides "fuck em", so imo there are plenty of ppl who could care less if egs wins out in this situation as long as supergiant gets shit on for their "mistake"

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how that works but okay. So any game that finds a publisher that helps fund the game's development should automatically be held off of until it goes on discount because they got money ahead of time?
Yes especially any egs exclusive.

not if they don't get paid by epic to release there game on EGS.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if people want to get the game cheaper and lose any urge to support the dev financially by buying it full price that's fine. The developer already got paid a lot by Epic, they are no longer in serious need of job security. That volatility is covered, at least somewhat.

Just... don't go in expecting Supergiant to actually discount it for some reason. It's still an EA game. It's not launched yet. It makes no sense to discount it yet.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Good to see Capcom tests are still alive and well.

Buying on rail shooters only gets you more on rail shooters. There's no way to win, people.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

I mean sure but then its a lose lose situation? A *what if* should never be held over peoples heads nor is it any consumers responsibility.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Got it for dirt cheap during that Epic sale and it feels like I stole it lol

It is incredibly well crafted for being an early access game. Wish I had more time to play it.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017

The type of rogue like game Hades is will do fantastically well with the amount of content it has right now. The few vocal idiots threatning boycotts are a minority.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I do think tho that regardless of all the showmanship and rough forum stuff, that the game will sell very well on steam, it's one of supergiant's best

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It'll will sell fine when it gets to steam. It's supposed to be really good, and it'll be a lot more accessible.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019

Bastion and Transistor did well, it kinda invalidates that train of thought (that success would make them less likely to go egs exclusive again). I'm not saying what those steam posts saying is the right thing to do either, I'm not on either side of this one, just a spineless fence sitter.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for ignoring the EGS and totally understand people being annoyed if a game was grabbed off of Steam or GOG or whatever after preorders had already gone live or platforms were announced, but Hades wasn't one of those titles. Supergiant did it correctly.

I'm still personally waiting for a sale, but not out of spite, just being frugal.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even pick up stuff on EGS for free since my Shenmue backing was messed with but I really have no issue with getting games once they come to Steam. You could spin both high or low sales as a positive for EGS so you may as well just decide if you really want the game or not.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Deadass I think this game has the juice and I hope it's a huge hit when it hits Steam
Gonna be funny to see the game get a banner when it launches (either in EA or in 1.0).

Otherwise kinda happy that the devs went the EA route, Pyre and Transistor showed that even if they were still able to make really good games, they had some issues compelling people to buy them, and going EA to easily talk to them was a good solution to find the issues.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, is it Steam's search engine? I'm finding it's impossible to troubleshoot or do things outside of Steam.

Yes. As everyone knows Steam is such a monopoly that they are secretly behind all the search engines like Google, Bing, Duckduckgo or Altavista.

Gabe Newell personally keeps stuff of PCGW so people come to Steam for troubleshooting.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I havent played the last 2 updates but the game was amazing.
Not a big fan usually of roguelikes (i like them, but not love them) but this one is the first one I think i love.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018

If the game does really well on Steam, the dev can come away with either the mindset that "Steam is where the actual playerbase is at" or "It didn't matter that we took the deal, they still bought it later anyways."

If the game does poorly on Steam, the dev can see "It is good we took the Epic deal as Steam wasn't for us" or "We shouldn't have taken the deal because it soured customers against our products."

The only one true metric is how well it sells on EGS for Epic, full stop. If it does well enough for Epic and they get their money's worth and they aren't paying through the nose for sales advances they never see fulfilled then they will keep making these deals. How well it does on Steam afterward can be twisted to fit any narrative you want, and will likely be confirmation bias for whatever the observer of the data is looking for.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Still yet to be convinced that this is any more than a very vocal minority.
Those that want to make a big song and dance about it on the Hades Steam forum certainly are. Do consider that not everyone there is being so crass about it though. Also consider that not everyone with a dim view of all this (what Epic is doing) is going to bother posting there either.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
The type of rogue like game Hades is will do fantastically well with the amount of content it has right now. The few vocal idiots threatning boycotts are a minority.

Hi, I'm a vocal idiot in that minority.

The thing is, if you dislike third-party exclusivity tactics on PC and want to be effective about them dying in a fire, not buying the game at all is the thing to do. That sends the only message developers taking these bags of money care about. That by making this choice they are not getting my sale at all. Else all it does is incite them to take Epic's money and then get all the regular sales a year later.

No thanks. I'll be an idiot minority :).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

The thing is, if you dislike third-party exclusivity tactics on PC and want to be effective about them dying in a fire, not buying the game at all is the thing to do. That sends the only message developers taking these bags of money care about. That by making this choice they are not getting my sale at all. Else all it does is incite them to take Epic's money and then get all the regular sales a year later.

Yeah, people say "vote with your wallet" but get angry when people do it.

I won't boycott every EGS game on Steam, but people can buy or not buy whatever they want for any reason.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If the game does really well on Steam, the dev can come away with either the mindset that "Steam is where the actual playerbase is at" or "It didn't matter that we took the deal, they still bought it later anyways."

If the game does poorly on Steam, the dev can see "It is good we took the Epic deal as Steam wasn't for us" or "We shouldn't have taken the deal because it soured customers against our products."

The only one true metric is how well it sells on EGS for Epic, full stop. If it does well enough for Epic and they get their money's worth and they aren't paying through the nose for sales advances they never see fulfilled then they will keep making these deals. How well it does on Steam afterward can be twisted to fit any narrative you want, and will likely be confirmation bias for whatever the observer of the data is looking for.

Well said. I personally will be ignoring all these late games until they are heavily discounted. If I am having to wait for a year, I can wait a bit longer than that too.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017

I should have worded that I was referring to the people being aggressive and rude to the developers about it in the Steam forums. If you want to boycott the game because of Supergiant's actions (or grab it later on a sale) it's your choice and I respect that.

I believe that if the game vastly outperformed in Steam than in EGS, it would send a message not to limit games to a single (and terrible) platform for a year. For certain games, having a big sustained and engaged userbase is more important than taking a payment upfront and limiting its market reach.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think some of y'all are insane if you think that "make all the regular money a year later" is at all a viable business plan for games. It's like people who suggest late ports are because they are chasing double dippers, when in reality double dippers works for like Rockstar and 1 or 2 games a year.

Even if Ashen or whatever ends up doing solidly on Steam a year later, it's going to still be a year after their marketing spend, a year after it released on consoles, etc. Hades might be an exception, with being both early access and PC exclusive for now, but even then, Epic has clearly stated they won't be cutting checks and whatnot for too long.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I should have worded that I was referring to the people being aggressive and rude to the developers about it in the Steam forums. If you want to boycott the game because of Supergiant's actions (or grab it later on a sale) it's your choice and I respect that.

I believe that if the game vastly outperformed in Steam than in EGS, it would send a message not to limit games to a single (and terrible) platform for a year. For certain games, having a big sustained and engaged userbase is more important than taking a payment upfront and limiting its market reach.

The problem with the message sent is that it can be interpreted in many ways.
1. Hades bombs on Steam can have two meanings:
- "We did well to take the deal, because otherwise our game would've bombed as evidenced here"
- "We did wrong to take the deal, because we scared off our customers"

2. Hades sell well on Steam can also have two meanings:
- '"We did well to take the deal because in the end we made more money as people still buy the game"
- "We did wrong to take the deal because our audience was on Steam since the begining and we might have been more successful if we did since a year ago"

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hades is simply a fantastic game. anyone that really doesn't want to buy it specifically because it used to be EGS exclusive...wow, you've lost the plot on rational thinking.

It's like the FF13 meme in reverse, except apparently people actually think this instead of just sarcastically posting it.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Just buy the game if you're going to play it, not that hard.
Fantastic game, amount of content for early access is incredible and will keep people busy until release, I'd say there's atleast good 20+ hours of content and that's if you're really good, more for most since the game is hard.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Been going through some more Steam posts.

The Steam forums are a goddamn embarrassment lol. I feel bad for the devs. No wonder Respawn got a bit fed up recently.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting how early they announced the Steam version though. 4 months in advance for a game still in EA... I don't know if there's something to read into it.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017

Got it, thank you for the courtesy. As for the message it sends, well I think that the noise surrounding EGS is clear enough for them to know what's what, especially in light of their previous releases. They have all the data they need to draw the right conclusions, in my opinion. This isn't their first rodeo.

[...]anyone that really doesn't want to buy it specifically because it used to be EGS exclusive...wow, you've lost the plot on rational thinking.

Thank you for the uninformed and needless condescension!